Author Topic: Can't share with friends, so will here. Just hit $1,000,000!  (Read 15509 times)

dabighen

• Stubble
Re: Can't share with friends, so will here. Just hit $1,000,000!
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2021, 12:44:21 AM »
Congrats!!

Do you already know about the “race to one million” and the “race to 2 million” threads here?

I'll have to look for it!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2021, 02:40:41 PM »
Congratulations!!

I can understand not wanting to share with people in real life. The only person I might tell is a friend with a trust fund. She has way more than me, probably, and I don't think she'd act unusual if she knew how much I had. She can keep a secret.

What good news! Time to celebrate. =-D

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
Congratulations!!

I can understand not wanting to share with people in real life. The only person I might tell is a friend with a trust fund. She has way more than me, probably, and I don't think she'd act unusual if she knew how much I had. She can keep a secret.

What good news! Time to celebrate. =-D

I was listening to "Hamilton", and we got to the "I'm a trust fund baby, you can trust me" part. In the case of my own children, I told them never, ever to say that to anyone. (they're not), but it seems that this friend has done a good job in gaining your trust.

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2022, 04:47:20 AM »
Well, just checked up.  It looks like I fell to $980K.  But on the bright side, index funds are on sale!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2022, 07:02:29 PM »
Well, just checked up.  It looks like I fell to $980K.  But on the bright side, index funds are on sale!

Less dollars, but I bet you own more shares, so you’re still ahead!  I touched $165k before it all started dropping, and now I’m at $155k, and that’s after adding an additional $15k so far this year.  But it’s all good, I own way more shares, and I get to keep buying cheaper shares as long as it stays down.  The awesome thing about where you are at is with just one moderately-good day in the market and your account will easily swing up by that $20k and put you over $1M again.  That’s so cool, a lot of people even with average incomes would have a hard time increasing their net worth by $20k in a year, for you, that could be your “Tuesday”. 

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2022, 07:16:43 PM »
What a great perspective!

Parentheses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2022, 07:18:52 PM »
Congratulations! I don’t share our info with many people either. A good friend is aware we are comfortable but not aware of how much we have stacked away, and he usually makes fun of me light heartedly.
Yesterday I went outside to paint my own garage because the door panels had been replaced from failing, and I was complaining about how hot it was outside. He said “you’re the worst rich person in the world, just hire someone!”
How did you think rich ppl get rich?

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2022, 07:23:48 PM »
Congratulations!!

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »
Congratulations @dabighen !!!!!!!

We crossed this threshold in March this year (including home equity), and it is so great to share with this community.  I was pleased to see that it has not dipped below the $1M mark yet as savings are matching the market losses.

familyFIguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 10:31:45 PM »
LFG!!!

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2022, 10:51:26 AM »
Congratulations! I don’t share our info with many people either. A good friend is aware we are comfortable but not aware of how much we have stacked away, and he usually makes fun of me light heartedly.
Yesterday I went outside to paint my own garage because the door panels had been replaced from failing, and I was complaining about how hot it was outside. He said “you’re the worst rich person in the world, just hire someone!”
How did you think rich ppl get rich?
I share info with folks on a similar journey.  In particular a good friend and I made a pact about 6 years ago to retire at the same time.  I bailed a little early (rage quit, thank goodness for FU money), he has everything lined up for quitting next summer.  It was helpful to have a partner in crime so to speak.  He good savings, but lacked a framework to turn it into a plan, and I was helpful in sending him down the right path.

The reality is that FIRE rich is still supporting only a modest lifestyle.  A modest lifestyle got us to FIRE, so why change?  A life lived high on the hog leads to financial ruin.  Even uber rich folks need to watch the purse strings, or you’ll just end up as another failed dynasty.

dabighen

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2023, 04:50:58 AM »
Wanted to update while a bull market, $1,154,000.

Hi all,

Its poor taste to tell friends or family but gotta share good news.  We just reached our seventh digit in our investment.  I am sure we will dip above and below several more times but I am proud of this.  I am 36, and technically my net worth is more like $800,000 due to my mortgage, but it is so satisfying seeing 1,004,199.47 in my investment portfolio.  Household income since college along the way:  2009: 33,000...2011:  55,000...2013: 60,000...2015:  110,000...2019:  $130,000

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2023, 07:23:14 AM »
Wanted to update while a bull market, $1,154,000.
Nice! Now even if there is a stock market correction (10% drop) you'll still be millionaires!

the barefoot badger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2023, 02:06:56 PM »
Yay you!!!  Did you have the big eyes big gulp moment?  This, this phantasmal number ... is YOURS. 

I just had a change in financial situation in the family that I've been peripherally aware of, but am now hands-on about.  When I ran the spreadsheet I sounded like someone on a bad sitcom.  "Geh.  Geeg ... Ah!"  Nothing like that stone between the eyes moment when you know it's actually real. 

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2023, 08:39:01 AM »

[/quote]

My family is already judgmental enough about my choices that the idea of telling them that we're millionaires seems like pouring gasoline on a fire.
[/quote]

Understandable. I told my co workers I'm big into investing. One asked how much. I said a lot. He said a few hundred thousand? I'm like yeah. He scoffs at me and makes up excuses how I was able to save that much... In reality I have 2.5 million (900k in markets)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2023, 10:30:21 AM »
I can tell half of our family we're doing really well and they get it, and have to temper how we describe it to the other half. And with certain individuals within the family - we don't even discuss money b/c different choices, different outcomes. I get it.

Our net worth is above $1M-something now. Not sure how to value our pensions. Met with our financial advisor yesterday who confirmed we're all good. Just keep doing the same thing. Can retire in a few more years with a retirement income similar to our current income. Pension+SS+investments. Hope to operate mostly on the pension and let everything else grow a while longer. Eventually help our offspring financially with a few life milestones.

CONGRATS! Baring any sort of catastrophes, you don't need to worry about money.