Poll

How far do you commute by bicycle (daily total)?

1-7 miles
98 (46.2%)
8-15 miles
75 (35.4%)
16-25 miles
25 (11.8%)
26-40 miles
12 (5.7%)
>41 miles
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Author Topic: How far do you commute by bicycle?  (Read 19274 times)

bunchbikes

• Bristles
Re: How far do you commute by bicycle?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
My bike commute would be about 3.5 miles each way. I still hope to commute by bike eventually, but so far what kills me isn't the distance but the steep hills. I've tried it a few times this summer (while on vacations) and while it's feasible, I can't imagine doing this in work clothes, with luggage on my bike. I really need to improve my cardio. 

Since I'm unable to commute by bike (yet), I try to bike 10-15 miles roundtrips 3 times per week. Most of it is a constant uphill, it's a good cardio workout but it's quite challenging for me, as I have been sedentary for years and just got into cycling. One step (or pedal?) at a time! Maybe in a year or two I'll be one of those badasses on Strava who can bike uphill in 1:31 minute while it takes me 5x more time, haha!

Get an e-Bike.  Problem solved.  Uphill, in work clothes, with luggage, no sweat.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
My bike commute would be about 3.5 miles each way. I still hope to commute by bike eventually, but so far what kills me isn't the distance but the steep hills. I've tried it a few times this summer (while on vacations) and while it's feasible, I can't imagine doing this in work clothes, with luggage on my bike. I really need to improve my cardio. 

Since I'm unable to commute by bike (yet), I try to bike 10-15 miles roundtrips 3 times per week. Most of it is a constant uphill, it's a good cardio workout but it's quite challenging for me, as I have been sedentary for years and just got into cycling. One step (or pedal?) at a time! Maybe in a year or two I'll be one of those badasses on Strava who can bike uphill in 1:31 minute while it takes me 5x more time, haha!

Get an e-Bike.  Problem solved.  Uphill, in work clothes, with luggage, no sweat.

Sure, it might be an option eventually. If I remain committed to cycling over time, I might buy a 2nd bike just for this purpose. Right now I'm mostly seeking the physical exercise and its benefits. A few months ago I was out of breath just climbing a flack of stairs. I'm 31 ffs. My cardio was shit. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with knowing just how hard I've pushed myself cycling up a hill, when I finally reach the top. I'm just realistic about my physical abilities and limits at the moment. Commuting might not happen for a while, but I maybe I'll succeed over time. With or without an e-bike. ;)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 03:43:16 PM »
I'm only 1.5 miles from work. And people still think it's crazy that I ride. Sometimes I walk.. but in summer when it's 108°F, it sucks balls.

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »
20 mile round trip for me. Out here on the central plains hills are few and far between. Wind we do have. So much wind.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
It's about 2.5 miles each way, but a ridiculously easy route.  It's separated multi use trails along a canal for ~70% the rest is on a park road.  I have one big street to cross which has a safe crosswalk.  The best part is the bike locker is right next to my department.  I park my bike and am ready to clock in 30 seconds later.  If you drive you park far away and walk 5-10 minutes to get to the same place.  For that reason, it's about the same amount of time door to door biking or driving. 
I leave my house at 1030 pm and it's surprising to see how many people are out for late night strolls during these hot summer months. 

FamVestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I have never paid for a haircut or a cup of coffee
    • FamVestor
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
My work is 80 miles rountrip for me. But luckily I vanpool and that is just a 4mile round trip to the pickup location.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »
I don't. I walk to car.  When I arrive at the parking lot I walk to the office.

Confirmed your rep as a threadshitter.

Kansaslover5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »
I ride 3.6 miles to work and back, five times a week. I'm using a Walmart $80 mountain bike. There are a few tough hills. The commute takes me 20 mins. I could go a little faster but don't want to get real sweaty. I'm new to this. Been riding for 3 weeks now.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
I ride 8 miles each way, so 16 miles total, to work. Although once the bike paths are no longer accessible, I either take the car, or the bus if my partner needs the car that day.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
I walk .6 miles to work every day BUT my work is moving in a few weeks.  New location is 1.7 miles from home, and I'm planning to walk some days and bike some days.  I live in the snowy great lakes region and will probably walk exclusively in the winter.  I have free parking but I'd rather be outdoors, get some exercise and clear my head.

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:51 AM »
My trip is around 15 miles one way to work. I'm spoiled because it's mostly bike specific paths and trails though. I think I ride about 4 miles through some sleepy subdivisions. And then a 1 mile ride to the gym. So something in the range of 32-33 miles.

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
I commute about 5 km (roundtrip), but I have to admit that I'm cheating; I'm Dutch and I work in a big, crowded, and old city (read: no room for parking space, the city is at least 1000 years old) so cycling is the sensible thing to do. Plus we have the infrastructure, the country is flat and a temperate climate... I'm so spoiled. Sorry for bragging.

Oroadsm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »
Ok, who voted for more than 41 miles?

That at least deserves a post with more detail.

He can't respond . . . out cycling . . .

I am not the guy who voted but I do commute 45 miles 2 days a week and about 24 one more (wife drops me off with the bike). The commute in is about 21 miles with a big net downhill, the way home is the big workout. About 6 miles are through a park and the rest either have good shoulders or are on road where bikers are common. I am replacing about 70 minutes of driving with 2.5 hours of riding.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
I commute 10 miles (20m RT) 3x a week (workout class other days).

I'm pretty fortunate where I ride 90% on a bike trail and partly along the lake and I have a shower at work.

I actually am more likely to do that now since I moved than when I lived 2 miles form work. 2 miles wasn't long enough to get enough exercise to justify showering at work. Now I get 45 min each way and can really zone out to podcasts.

Though if I lived closer on the river, I would consider kayaking as my office is right next to a canal with a launching area.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/6974+N+Longview+Ave,+Glendale,+WI+53209/247+W+Freshwater+Way,+Milwaukee,+WI+53204,+USA/@43.0558939,-87.9021212,14.26z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!1m1!1s0x88051e08f358584f:0x6b4f26b52d0295dd!2m2!1d-87.9306927!2d43.1451297!3m4!1m2!1d-87.8943365!2d43.0308106!3s0x880519acd901ce5d:0xc712d73ece99e136!3m4!1m2!1d-87.8958769!2d43.0266115!3s0x880519b2e56c868f:0x79774de26ef82caf!1m5!1m1!1s0x880519bd5710284d:0x9d4c240197df9961!2m2!1d-87.9135973!2d43.0291336!3e1

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 04:01:57 PM »
I currently commute about 9 miles round trip most weekdays. The longest commute I've regularly done by bike was about 25 miles round trip. The longest commute I've ever done was about 45 miles round trip (I only biked one Friday of the few weeks I was commuting to this location). I'd probably decide to get an ebike if I had a commute between 20 and 50 miles round trip now.

The longest distance I have biked in a single day including recreation is a bit over 50 miles (someday I may decide to work my way up to a 100 mile ride).

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
My days involve lots of play time.  My commute is only a 5 mile RT.  I'll ride at lunch for fun, or take personal time to play. 

Today my schedule is cushy.  Work for 4 hours, ride home (i forgot my ear buds), ride back to work, work for another hour and then take the afternoon off to do some hill repeats.  :)  Life is good here.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
Shortest route is 8k return, so that's about 5 miles in American.
Good weather means longer routes, all on city paths because it's calmer.
21k yesterday in the sun, or 12.something miles. It's already icy in the shadows, up here in the north, watching the river gradually freeze, wearing lots of layers to unzip on the hills and close up on the descents.
One of the best parts of each day . . .

Engineer93

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm moving soon and the bike to work looks to be about 4 miles one way.  It's a relatively flat route and is either bike lanes or greenway the entire ride.  I'm thinking this will take 20 minutes?  We have showers at work so I'm definitely going to utilize those.  I'm thinking I should be able to wake up, bike to work, shower, and be at my desk in 1 hour total.  Does that seem reasonable?  I'd pack breakfast/lunch the night before as well as packing my work clothes to save time in the morning.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »
I'm moving soon and the bike to work looks to be about 4 miles one way.  It's a relatively flat route and is either bike lanes or greenway the entire ride.  I'm thinking this will take 20 minutes?  We have showers at work so I'm definitely going to utilize those.  I'm thinking I should be able to wake up, bike to work, shower, and be at my desk in 1 hour total.  Does that seem reasonable?  I'd pack breakfast/lunch the night before as well as packing my work clothes to save time in the morning.

Totally reasonable.  Remember to pump up your tires the night before too.  You might be a bit slower the first couple times you do it, but after a while it'll become second nature.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
I screwed up the poll thinking it was one way distance. (Edit, just figured out how to remove and re-add) I'm 8-10 miles each way, depending on what route I take. So 16-20 total. Been taking a break since it's been below freezing in the AM and lots of frost on the road. I can dress up for the cold but I don't need any more crashes this year, even though they've all been on dirt I'm above my quota for sure. :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:08:53 PM by big_slacker »

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
8 miles round trip 5 days/week on a $300 bikes direct motebecane road bike.  Have been bike commuting for 6 years and estimate that I have ridden ~12K miles total.  Have a 300ft elevation gain on the way home which provides a nice workout. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
Yes, if everything is packed and ready, that should be plenty of time. My 4.5 mile flat commute takes me about 20 minutes riding time.

hollis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
I recently moved.   It used to be 11miles RT with a large hill going up to my house.   Now it's a fairly easy 7mile RT.    As a result of the move I bike to work much more often.   Usually 15 days a month or more.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:10 AM »
I'm in the 26-40 mile group, but to be honest I cheat with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0IHH8EAvQ

Not a chance in hell I could cycle those hills without it.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
20 km. one way. Google tells me that my daily round trip is close to 25 miles.
However, I have it fairly easy. No hills around here, great biking infrastructure & I have a e-bike.

Last week I went with the car, because my bike was being repaired. And it just struck me, how aggressive driving with the car made me (normally, I hardly take the car. This week was an exception, with me driving every day for at least 1 hour). People are idiots, they can't drive at all, doing the most stupidest things, not to mention unsafe. Worst part was the day that it took me 45 minutes, instead of 25 to get to work. I can bike it in 55 minutes. So frustrating. I'll be happy to have my bike back next week :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
However, I have it fairly easy. No hills around here, great biking infrastructure & I have a e-bike.

Last week I went with the car, because my bike was being repaired. And it just struck me, how aggressive driving with the car made me (normally, I hardly take the car. This week was an exception, with me driving every day for at least 1 hour). People are idiots, they can't drive at all, doing the most stupidest things, not to mention unsafe. Worst part was the day that it took me 45 minutes, instead of 25 to get to work. I can bike it in 55 minutes. So frustrating. I'll be happy to have my bike back next week :)

I've driven to work three times and ridden my bike twice this week.  It has been chilly -5 to -15 and we've had snow on several days.  Drive time has been 40 - 70 minutes each way, bike time has been 45 - 50 minutes.  :P

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »

I've driven to work three times and ridden my bike twice this week.  It has been chilly -5 to -15 and we've had snow on several days.  Drive time has been 40 - 70 minutes each way, bike time has been 45 - 50 minutes.  :P

It's been crappy here too.  Walked four times and biked once, on Friday, just because I couldn't stand another day of walking.  But I don't do the same distances that you do - I only have about 2.5 km each way, or 3.5 if I take the trail.  A few years ago when I had an 11 km commute on a really snowy day, I took a bus to work and got a lift home from my boss.  We were stuck in traffic for 3 hours.  I could've walked home faster than that, and I'm sorry I didn't.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
I'm in the 26-40 mile group, but to be honest I cheat with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0IHH8EAvQ

Not a chance in hell I could cycle those hills without it.

So you ride a motorcycle? :D

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
How do you guys handle grocery shopping with a bike? Are you allowed to take it into the store? Do you go more frequently with smaller purchases since you can't haul as much? I'm strongly considering an e-trike. I live a couple miles from pretty much anything plus there are a ton of busses, some of which are free.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:44:54 PM by tj »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2017, 06:15:15 PM »
How do you guys handle grocery shopping with a bike? Are you allowed to take it into the store? Do you go more frequently with smaller purchases since you can't haul as much? I'm strongly considering an e-trike. I live a couple miles from pretty much anything plus there are a ton of busses, some of which are free.

I can carry as much on my bike as in the car with a trailer and a couple panniers.  You don't want to climb a steep hill though with 70 lbs of groceries.  :P

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »

Single person you can generally get anything you need in a backpack, rack(s), etc. Full family Costco trips if you're that committed you can get a bike trailer or just a kid hauler and throw groceries in that. Personally I do smaller grocery runs on the bike but the big trips I'm fine using the car.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »

My mom has done it for years with a family of 4 (including when me and my brother were adult age already). All she has is panniers and a basket. No trailer or backpack. She does spread the shopping out over the week tho and when hosting a party she spreads the extra things out as well.

As a single person I usually manage with just a backpack or a bag. I shop 1-2x a week.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
I have a backpack and two baskets on the back rack, sometimes extra bags on my handlebars. Shopping for one, about once a week, and depending on the store it's anywhere from 0.5 to 4km away. No costco though

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
Doable for a 2person household, when grocery shopping 2-3 times a week. I take a backpack, have bags on my back & always take an extra bag, that I can stuff under the suspenders.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
I no longer commute by bike due to work being much further than University was being 22 miles to 34 miles depending on the site I get sent to.  I use the bus instead now.

But back when I went to University I would commute there and back. 

It would be 11 Kilometers or 6.8 Miles to get there or 13.7 miles daily for 6 times a week.

The most notable time was when I went back home in a Blizzard, surprisingly once you get started the cold stops being an issue but Visibility never stops being a problem.  I was on the side walk and often could barely see in front of me with or without goggles as without them I was pelted by snow and with them my breath fogged them up in seconds.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:16:10 PM by Raj »

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Why would I want to take my bike into the store?  I lock it up outside.  I shop a couple of times a week to provide for two people.  I either walk or bike.  Today, I biked, despite the -7 C temps.  Easy peasy.  Backpack + an extra bag in my hand, with bread and other light squishables.  I managed with 12 large tins of tomatoes in the backpack plus a bunch of other stuff.  But then again, I am only pushing 60.  Might get a bit tougher for me in 20 years but I'll still be out there, carefully avoiding the clown cars / clown truuucks.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
Why would I want to take my bike into the store?  I lock it up outside.

So that someone doesn't steal it? With as easy as it seems to be for people to steal copper piping that is in a locked cage, would have thought jacking a bike would be pretty easy...

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
Why would I want to take my bike into the store?  I lock it up outside.

So that someone doesn't steal it? With as easy as it seems to be for people to steal copper piping that is in a locked cage, would have thought jacking a bike would be pretty easy...
If it's out in the open in front of the store, with a strong lock, and you aren't inside for that long it's probably okay.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2017, 11:58:21 PM »
But then again, I am only pushing 60.  Might get a bit tougher for me in 20 years but I'll still be out there, carefully avoiding the clown cars / clown truuucks.

My grandma kept on going strong until 84, so don't worry, You can do it!

SpareChangeYourLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
One of my New Year's resolutions is to commute by bike more than I have been.  The nice thing for me is, my wife and I work at the same place, so we car pool on days where I don't ride.  Very, very rarely do we have to take 2 cars to work.  We have very Mustachian vehicles, but I keep thinking it'd be possible to just get down to one vehicle. 

Anyway, here are my biking stats:

6.9 miles mostly downhill to work.  28 minutes by bike, or 15 minutes by car.  I basically get a 28 minute work out only using 13 extra minutes of my day.

6.7 miles mostly up hill to home.  45 minutes by bike, or 15 minutes by car.  (I rarely do this route these days because we go pick up my daughter from day care and I can't stand to miss 45 minutes with her in the afternoons).

roystonea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
I ride an easy 5 miles round trip while my husband rides about 14. Since we're in Florida, we do this year-round without much discomfort. It's flat and we've gotten used to the heat and humidity for the most part. Despite that, bike commuting is almost unheard of here and we get a lot of funny looks! I think people overestimate the risks and underestimate the benefits of cycling. Oh well, we get to be smug when others complain about parking and traffic woes. I try to speak up for cycling and pedestrian infrastructure improvements, for us and for the people who have no choice but to ride.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
I try to speak up for cycling and pedestrian infrastructure improvements, for us and for the people who have no choice but to ride.
I read Happy City a few months ago. I found the arguments for infrastructure choices favoring pedestrian/cyclist/transit vs private auto to be compelling - especially the comparison of the space required to accomedate each. A parked car takes as much space as a traveling bicycle. (A parked bike takes about as much space as a walking pedestrian.) With all the public resources that have already gone into subsisdizing private auto transport in the US (gas taxes usually don't even cover 1/2 the costs) it is a shame that it is so difficult to get anyone to prioritize public spending on infrastructure for more efficient modes.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
This may get long...

My current cycle commute is a mere 3.5 km (2 miles?) but it wasn't something that happened on its own. I have this commute because I built my career and life in such a way that it was possible. I have turned down jobs with higher pay in order to avoid a long commute - and when articles in the news talk about the average toronto area commute at 1.5 hrs each way (or whatever number they throw out there that day), I refuse to accept that for my family.

I was commuting (by car) about 1-1/4 hrs each way and realized that my cars were dead after 2 years of driving. This was pre-mustache and even spendypants me could see that the lifestyle was not sustainable. Then I started carpooling with my wife halfway and riding my bike to/from a common rendezvous point. This reduced our auto trips, but really didn't change the time investment we were making. Something had to change.

I found another job and made a condition of my employment be that the new employer would either make space for my wife on the team, or that they would help her find work locally. 6 months later, we were both working in the same building. But the commute was still just over an hour.

Once we had been working together for a year and saw that things were OK at the new job, we bought a house 6 km from the office and reveled in how smart we were. This enabled me to start cycle-commuting with increasing regularity. It also built me a reputation as "the bike guy".

Which brings us to a few months ago when I got a new job... literally as "The Bike Guy" planning cycling infrastructure for our town. It cut my commute to 3.5 km, and means I now get paid to bike around town.

So yeah, I don't ride far, but I built this. Literally - and it has built me a new job. How cool is that?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »
This may get long...

My current cycle commute is a mere 3.5 km (2 miles?) but it wasn't something that happened on its own. I have this commute because I built my career and life in such a way that it was possible. I have turned down jobs with higher pay in order to avoid a long commute - and when articles in the news talk about the average toronto area commute at 1.5 hrs each way (or whatever number they throw out there that day), I refuse to accept that for my family.

I was commuting (by car) about 1-1/4 hrs each way and realized that my cars were dead after 2 years of driving. This was pre-mustache and even spendypants me could see that the lifestyle was not sustainable. Then I started carpooling with my wife halfway and riding my bike to/from a common rendezvous point. This reduced our auto trips, but really didn't change the time investment we were making. Something had to change.

I found another job and made a condition of my employment be that the new employer would either make space for my wife on the team, or that they would help her find work locally. 6 months later, we were both working in the same building. But the commute was still just over an hour.

Once we had been working together for a year and saw that things were OK at the new job, we bought a house 6 km from the office and reveled in how smart we were. This enabled me to start cycle-commuting with increasing regularity. It also built me a reputation as "the bike guy".

Which brings us to a few months ago when I got a new job... literally as "The Bike Guy" planning cycling infrastructure for our town. It cut my commute to 3.5 km, and means I now get paid to bike around town.

So yeah, I don't ride far, but I built this. Literally - and it has built me a new job. How cool is that?

Wow, I'm impressed! That's amazing. People don't realize but each new person that starts riding makes a difference in furthering public image and infrastructure. Most of us much much less of a difference.

spoonchucker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »
My commute is 23.5km each way, so 47km per day ~29.2miles.
It typically only takes me 5 min longer by bike than by car, and is certainly a lot more frustration free than driving every day.

I'm pretty hard-ass, and ride 5 days a week, rain hail or shine - clocking up some 700-800km per month.

95% of my ride is on a bike path that follows a small creek, with lots of open space, park land and natural bushland.
It is shielded from the urban jungle of the city, and I can often forget that I am riding my way across the city!

I love the abundance of other bikers, joggers, walkers etc, and the abundance of wildlife along the route.
Within 5 min of leaving work, I have forgotten all the stresses of the day, and just enjoy the ride....

Life is good.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
I ebike about 7 miles each way. Right now once per week, maybe twice. Want to ride more often this year than last. Lots of hills, and later in the year lots of heat/humidity.

Google says 338 ft gain and 207 ft of loss going to work. Feel safer maintaining some speed on the hill climbs. No more pedestrian speed climbs for me.

The hard ride is going to work so the motor helps me arrive in presentable condition to work among humans. The ride home is "anything goes".

No bike paths or wide shoulders here. No other bike commuters either. I string together quieter neighborhood streets, parking lots, incomplete empty sidewalk system (nobody for miles on the sidewalks, we are an obese state).

Am focusing on using lower PAS (pedal assist) and more leg power without triggering a Ricardo Tubbs like hot weather meltdown.

Just ordered panniers this morn. Have tried a backpack and small toolbag bungied to the rack and neither were tidy or comfortable. Breakables coping with a bungie cord pressing against them isn't good. Backpack is comfortable until I hunch over handlebars. I don't need to carry much - just a few pounds of things and my jacket on warm afternoons.

Want to ride alot more than I do. We have some good country roads around here but I'm still establishing which ones are safe enough for my taste. Am talking to some of the road bike guys at the local bike shop. I rode 650 miles last year. Want to ride more this year. Have ridden about 100 miles in the past two weeks despite random weather.

LessIsLess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
Make sure your life and disability insurance policies are up to date.  Biking can mean an early exit from the rat race - permanently.  But please, do not let the voice of reason make you reconsider your biking obsession.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »
Make sure your life and disability insurance policies are up to date.  Biking can mean an early exit from the rat race - permanently.  But please, do not let the voice of reason make you reconsider your biking obsession.

Very true.  I've died several times while commuting by bike.

Judicator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
60 - 70 miles RT, 2-3x/wk in good weather.

I am very interested in good statistics if you have them. I wonder what the death rate looks like if you exclude obvious no-nos like not using a helmet, riding too close to doors, running red lights, not wearing reflective clothing, etc.

On top of this I imagine if you look at obesity rates for cyclists vs. average Americans you come out ahead from a health standpoint.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
I am very interested in good statistics if you have them. I wonder what the death rate looks like if you exclude obvious no-nos like not using a helmet, riding too close to doors, running red lights, not wearing reflective clothing, etc.
I don't consider not wearing helmets and reflective clothing to be such obvious nonos, and I think the perception that they should always be worn is part of why biking is so uncommon in North America. I use my bike to get around, same as when I walk or ride in cars. All of those activities have a risk of head injury, but only biking is considered to be so dangerous that protective gear is required, and it's mostly because careless and hostile car drivers think its okay to ride too close and sideswipe cyclists, open doors on them, and cut them off when turning. In plenty of places around the world, cycling is seen as a normal activity like walking, and it would be crazy to get all decked out like a Christmas tree, and the roads are designed to be shared between all modes of transport. When biking is normalized, accidents will go down, and more people will do it, but the current hysteria contributes to the sense of danger and victim blaming around cyclist injuries/deaths. 
And no, I'm not saying not to wear protective stuff if it makes you feel safer, just saying that it's not always necessary and it shouldn't be required.