Poll

How far do you commute by bicycle (daily total)?

1-7 miles
98 (46.2%)
8-15 miles
75 (35.4%)
16-25 miles
25 (11.8%)
26-40 miles
12 (5.7%)
>41 miles
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Author Topic: How far do you commute by bicycle?  (Read 19260 times)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
How far do you commute by bicycle?
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
Commute meaning you go to the same place at least 3x per week. It could be to work, gym, volunteering etc. So not weekend leisurely rides.

I was hoping to commute to work by bike starting this summer but unfortunately live 23 miles each way. Not sure if it is even possible to do 5x a week without some serious training (starting from nothing basically). I even considered driving halfway and biking the rest. It's so hard finding rentals close to work in the deep rural south!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How far do you commute by bicycle?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »
1.1 mile trip to work...2.2 miles daily.

Lenify

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
4.2 mile to work, 8.4 round, avg 4x/week. Grocery store 6mi round about once per week.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 01:00:43 AM »
I am voting on behalf of hubby -- he travels 10 miles each way.

JimmyFry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
4.5 miles each way, averaging 3x per week.

Pretty serious hills on my commute and no shower at the office, so I use an e-bike.  I can still work up a sweat on the e-bike (too fun to hurry up the hills!), so I have to stay disciplined on the ride in.  But bike-commuting is definitely the way to go if you can do it.  It's just so much more fun to be outside than to sit in traffic in a metal box.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
It's just so much more fun to be outside than to sit in traffic in a metal box.

Agreed, but my commute has literally 0 traffic and involves some fun winding roads. If only I drove a convertible or a better handling sports car!

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
8 miles round trip for me!  Very hilly, but I go slow on the way in so I don't have to use the ucky showers.  Then haul it home!

Amazing how it adds up.  8 miles x 5 days x 4 weeks is 160 miles a month.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
I don't anymore, but when I was biking to school, it was 5.5 miles each way (11 miles / day).

Taz-d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
4 miles each way to work. So 8 miles roundtrip. Plus I run all my regular errands on my bike (food shopping, library, bank). I try to save my car usage primarily for weekend trips (camping) or day hike destinations that are not easily reachable by bike or public transit.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Exactly one mile each way to work. Sometimes I go into town after work or head back out in the evening, so that adds an extra 1 to 3 or so miles to the day. I am really lucky to live near a bike path and close to work.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
8 miles one way, 16 round trip. I ride it everyday, keeps me happy, healthy and handsome. (Well, happy and healthy, at least)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:25:23 AM »
Commute meaning you go to the same place at least 3x per week. It could be to work, gym, volunteering etc. So not weekend leisurely rides.

I was hoping to commute to work by bike starting this summer but unfortunately live 23 miles each way. Not sure if it is even possible to do 5x a week without some serious training (starting from nothing basically). I even considered driving halfway and biking the rest. It's so hard finding rentals close to work in the deep rural south!
When I started working I was cycling a bit over 2 miles each way, not much but saved ~30 minutes each way versus walking. Then moved closer to work so walked. Then moved much further away and worked remotely.

A former work colleague of mine was a cycling nut. She lived 35 miles from our office, so was driving about half way and cycling from there, at least during reasonable weather. So no reason you couldn't start off doing that, and if it goes well after a few weeks drive less and cycle more. You might get to a point of doing it all by bike, though I suppose it also depends on whether you can afford the time (depending on conditions I would think 23 miles for a reasonable cyclist is going to take 1 hour 20 minutes or so plus any delays for traffic?). Assuming you are somebody in generally decent health I think you should be OK to start doing 10 mile cycle rides: you can choose your own pace. If it's too tiring you can of course start off doing it every other day and build up over time.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:24:18 AM »
For those who work from home, could this be 3 destinations that are not all the same? ;D

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
My "actual" commute (if I go straight to work and back) is only 2.8 miles one-way.  However, I'm usually at around 12-25 miles one-way based on how much time and exercise I feel like doing.

That of course puts me into 3 different categories; I just voted for the one in the middle.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »

When I started working I was cycling a bit over 2 miles each way, not much but saved ~30 minutes each way versus walking. Then moved closer to work so walked. Then moved much further away and worked remotely.

A former work colleague of mine was a cycling nut. She lived 35 miles from our office, so was driving about half way and cycling from there, at least during reasonable weather. So no reason you couldn't start off doing that, and if it goes well after a few weeks drive less and cycle more. You might get to a point of doing it all by bike, though I suppose it also depends on whether you can afford the time (depending on conditions I would think 23 miles for a reasonable cyclist is going to take 1 hour 20 minutes or so plus any delays for traffic?). Assuming you are somebody in generally decent health I think you should be OK to start doing 10 mile cycle rides: you can choose your own pace. If it's too tiring you can of course start off doing it every other day and build up over time.

I might try this! It's a 9 mile bike ride to Walmart through some fairly empty back roads, then the rest is down a minor highway. I'm a little iffy biking down this highway because there is construction that turns a bridge into a narrow one lane road--not much room for cars to pass me on the bridge. There is a possibility of a different route that adds 3 miles to the commute though. Damn river in the way!

For those who work from home, could this be 3 destinations that are not all the same? ;D

If it's consistent, I'll allow it!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Approximately 4 miles round trip

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »
Same here - 4 miles round trip, which is incredibly easy, especially in summer.  I also do all our groceries and other errands by bike.  My worst commute was 7.2 miles each way, along some very nasty urban highways and industrial areas, in Montreal.  I still managed it at least 9 months every year, every day.  The other three months were spotty but at least there was fairly decent public transport for the off days.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
You might consider doing the commute one way, leaving the car at work, then riding back in the next day.  I usually drive in on Monday bringing clothes and a bike, ride 15 miles home, ride back in Tuesday morning, repeat.  This gives me options for lunchtime or work related travel during the day, and I can ride the "fast" bike some, then ride the commuter with panniers if I need to haul clothes or a laptop or whatever.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
I used to commute 7 miles each way. It's extremely bike unfriendly here, so I stopped riding to work a couple years ago.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
I just got a new job (after long term unemployment). 3 miles to work and an easy bike ride. It's an office job in front of the computer all day. I also walk  mile at lunchtime for some more exercise. Some of my co-workers are getting interested in riding bikes more and walking more.

In a couple weeks the office is moving to a new location downtown, 1.6 miles from my home. I will walk or ride to work every day.

I try to make a point of driving my 16yo Subaru once a week as it sitting for so long is really not good for it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 03:55:24 AM »
It's about 4.5 miles each way to work. So about 9 miles total.

Depending on weather and if I'm running late. :p

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »
You might consider doing the commute one way, leaving the car at work, then riding back in the next day.  I usually drive in on Monday bringing clothes and a bike, ride 15 miles home, ride back in Tuesday morning, repeat.  This gives me options for lunchtime or work related travel during the day, and I can ride the "fast" bike some, then ride the commuter with panniers if I need to haul clothes or a laptop or whatever.

This could be an option too, but I may need to wait until construction is done on a bridge or take an alternate route that is 26 miles each way. I'm not sure how to build up to this though, I guess I could see how far I get on a weekend and then starting doing it 1x a week, then 2x, etc.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:07 AM »
I don't commute by bicycle, but I do frequently go grocery shopping in a neighboring town by bicycle, which is a 7 mile round trip while towing a bike trailer.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
15 mile round trip.  I've been mixing in run commuting twice a week to get in shape for a relay race, taking the train home ($2.50 one way).  Our bike commuter population has been low lately, just 3-4 of us regulars in an office of 80 despite great summer weather.  I got mad kudos for riding my bike through the winter when it was down to just a couple hardy souls, now I get slack jawed awe when people see me hoofing it up to the front door with a pack on.  I very much do not look like a runner, more like a beer guzzling sofa warmer.  Good stuff.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
3.4 miles round trip.

When we bought our house, one of the requirements was that it had to be within 10 miles of both our workplaces.

Distance to my work is actually 1.5 miles, but I bike the "long" way that has a bike path and avoids a crazy intersection.

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
I do a bit over 4 miles each way every day, I think it's the perfect distance. Where we last lived my boyfriend used to do a 20 mile commute. He started with a few friends, one of them had never really ridden before so he found it exhausting but he got fit quick! I have also gone from not even owning a bike to doing an 8 mile commute each way, that was a bit of a shock to the system but I loved it. I would say start out with a few days a week and work up from there. It is impressive you're looking at doing this, considering I work with people who live within a 4 mile radius of work and they aaaalllllll drive in.

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
I do about 7 minkes one way, so 14 miles per day through Central London. It's been quite muggy lately so I'm soaked when I get to the office, thankfully we have showers. Prefer cycling in winter as drivers seem to get mad and arrogant from the heat! Still I'm loving it as after a week of doing this even just 3 days per week, I notice the physical changes. And I start to loathe taking the Tube.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
4.5 miles each way, averaging 3x per week.

Pretty serious hills on my commute and no shower at the office, so I use an e-bike.  I can still work up a sweat on the e-bike (too fun to hurry up the hills!), so I have to stay disciplined on the ride in.  But bike-commuting is definitely the way to go if you can do it.  It's just so much more fun to be outside than to sit in traffic in a metal box.

Hey, that sounds like my new commute! I'm very slightly further - but the same issue.  Hills had made it non-feasible due to the sweat issue here in Texas.  I go in early, the motor gets me up the one really gnarly hill (it's a steep, rocky, slope with a combination of little outcroppings and loose rock). Afternoon is sweat city, but I can shower when I get home.

RadWagon arrived on July 5th, and I have e-bike commuted every work day since then - except the day I needed to go to the dentist at lunchtime.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 05:43:33 AM »
My commute is 22 miles total.  I've found that at this distance you start to get really interested in ways to save energy . . . Keep your lock and changes of clothes at work, get tight fitting cycling gear to wear so wind doesn't slow you down as much, ride a road bike, etc.  Riding in to work everyday is kinda taxing, so you do want to start slow and work your way up to it.

You also want to keep a good maintenance schedule with your bike because stuff will go wrong more often when you're putting those kinds of miles on your bike.

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 03:44:40 AM »
About 6 km roundtrip (4 miles?) Even for Dutch standards I'm living ridiculously close by :)

Upgrayed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
I could have my bike commute down to two miles round trip if I wanted to deal with traffic, but instead it's four miles round trip on a paved river trail and a short section of dirt road.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »
My daily commute is 3.4 miles round trip, and lately I've been biking out to the yacht club which is a 27.5 mile round trip once a week. I don't think I'd want to do that every day, but it gets a little easier each time. Biking on paths is also much more pleasant than on roads.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »
I even considered driving halfway and biking the rest.

I have a friend who does this. His commute is about 90 miles round trip, but he does 30 of it by bike.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
I even considered driving halfway and biking the rest.

I have a friend who does this. His commute is about 90 miles round trip, but he does 30 of it by bike.

Does he have somewhere to stash the bike overnight, or does he have to load it on the car every day?

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
He puts it in the back of his small pickup, drives the first section, parks, and bikes the final leg. Then he bikes back to the truck and drives back home in the evening

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
This week I ran to work twice, home from work one more time for 22.5 miles total.  I took the train home once, rode my bike one full day and two half days, and drove one day that had an early morning meeting.

I'm tired.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »
~25.5kms one way, so 51kms return, so that's ~31.7 miles a day.

Had been doing 4-5 days a week earlier in the year, currently doing 1-2 days a week, depending on family needs.

Been commuting by bike to and from work since I was allowed back on one in 2012-13.

Veganbikeruncommuter666

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 02:07:31 AM »
I go from montreal to boucherville everyday, during winter I run / bus  .... Never owning a car NEVER

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
I have been riding ten miles round trip for 11 years at about than 50% by ebike 50 % pedal bike.
I have saved quite a bit in parking fees  they charge 20$ a day or more based on when you started with the company. Don't know if I can do another winter by bike, may try the bus, but that will take twice as long. I can drive in about 15 minutes but I would have to purchase another car ( my wife owns the car).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:53:33 PM by BikeFanatic »

Ironfist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »
12 miles each way but I'm actually starting to look for *longer* routes home now.  :D

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
Ok, who voted for more than 41 miles?

That at least deserves a post with more detail.

I used to commute a 19 mile round trip 5 days a week, and I was just wiped at the end of every day.  I was in the best shape of my life though!

If I could go back, I would've bought an e-bike for that commute... would have made it way better.

meatface

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
I commute by electric skateboard but answered the poll anyway.

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
I commute by electric skateboard but answered the poll anyway.

Oh now that's cool!

I want one!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Ok, who voted for more than 41 miles?

That at least deserves a post with more detail.

He can't respond . . . out cycling . . .

Ratherboard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
3 miles each way.  105ft uphill and 180ft downhill going to work and 200ft uphill and 121ft downhill coming home.  (according to Google)

I bike more leisurely going IN to work and bike a little harder going home.  When I moved here I purposefully chose a location within a 10-mile radius of work with the expectation of biking 5 days/week or more.  Keep in mind, I was exercising maybe 1 or 2 days a week at a light pace, so this was a huge change.  I've noticed a sweat less now (2 months in) going in to work. (we don't have showers, so I bought a fan for the office and go in earlier to mitigate the sweat/heat)

My coworkers reactions are amazing when they realize I bike to and from work every day.  Most of them never noticed I biked unless they saw me coming in or leaving all "geared-up" with helmet, bike, panniers, etc.  I'm tracking a 6-month period of "transportation expenses" to see what my total cost is per month.  I imagine it's cheaper than a car, even with Zipcar rentals, Hertz rentals and Lyft/Uber when I need it.  (mostly weekends to far away places or things that are too big for my bike)

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 02:01:36 AM »
4.2km or 2.6 miles one way (5.2 miles roundtrip). Short and nice, although Mr. Snow gets the prize location as we're sat about 5-10 minute walk from his university.

It's not so much the distance (which is short), but the slope. I get one massive downhill adventure to work (not sweaty when arriving, yay!) but spend easily twice as long getting back up after work. Will get better with training!

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 03:58:42 AM »
He can't respond . . . out cycling . . .

If I had had coffee in my mouth, it would've been all over my keyboard.

Hilarious!

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 09:10:54 AM »
I don't. I walk to car.  When I arrive at the parking lot I walk to the office.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
15miles r/t
LOVE it

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
My bike commute would be about 3.5 miles each way. I still hope to commute by bike eventually, but so far what kills me isn't the distance but the steep hills. I've tried it a few times this summer (while on vacations) and while it's feasible, I can't imagine doing this in work clothes, with luggage on my bike. I really need to improve my cardio. 

Since I'm unable to commute by bike (yet), I try to bike 10-15 miles roundtrips 3 times per week. Most of it is a constant uphill, it's a good cardio workout but it's quite challenging for me, as I have been sedentary for years and just got into cycling. One step (or pedal?) at a time! Maybe in a year or two I'll be one of those badasses on Strava who can bike uphill in 1:31 minute while it takes me 5x more time, haha!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!