Author Topic: How about this guys Basassity?  (Read 4688 times)

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How about this guys Basassity?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:36 AM »
He's happy, and at the end of the day, isn't that what we're all searching for?

Sure there's 50,000 different things he could have done, but I'm not him, and he's certainly made it easier to move on with life now that that giant bill is out of the way.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 07:27:10 AM »
He's said elsewhere that he regrets not socializing a bit more, but he can certainly do that now.

I think he's getting a lot of hate because people are envious (that house is probably worth more than he paid for it, now, so dude is loaded for a 30 year-old) and spoiled attitudes are common.  I'm in another online community and when people cry about money problems they invariably discard suggestions to (even temporarily) get a second job or live more frugally.  No, it's simply unfair that they can't afford everything they want.

Personally, I think it's worth it to put your head down for a few years, earn and save hard, in order to be set up for later.  And around here, anyway, bike riding and personal finance writing are not weird activities.

argonaut_astronaut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »
I have conflicting emotions about this. One part of me is awed by his ability to, hair on fire, cut everything to nothing and hammer out some debt. The other part of me wishes that he would have sold the house, gotten the cheapest apartment possible, and invested the $425,000 that he tied up in that house. The guy was saving 85% of his $100K income to pay off $255K in three years, so realistically he could be FIRE by now if living expenses are only $15K/year and the house sells for $450K.

The other point to discuss here is the wall-o-shame responses that are mentioned in the article: "Upstanding citizen works his life away, lives in miserable squalor and forgoes human relationships for years. How is this an inspirational story?" Well, anonymous person on the Internet, it is inspiring to see a dedicated person shrug off the social expectation that he spend his way to happiness, put away 8%, and work for the next forty years. It is inspiring to see that it is possible to pay off a mountainous pile of debt in a short time via self control and HARD. FUCKING. WORK.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3345476/Frugal-man-30-pays-255-000-mortgage-THREE-years-thanks-Kraft-dinners-bike-riding-100-hour-work-weeks-no-one-admires-it.html

Not much of a life but way to take care of business.

not bad.

if you dont have any debt payments, life is cheap; even a family of four can live easily on less than 20k without any debts.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
Several of the original commenters talked about how he would never get married because he had no social life.  I am sure women all run away from an attractive 30 yr. old with a paid off house and tight biking buns as fast as they can.

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:49:29 AM »
The article says he had anxiety after watching his mother lose their home.  I never lose a house, bu I can relate to the anxiety.  Working hard for three years to eliminate a lifetime of anxiety is probably worth it for him.  I know paying off my debt would allow me to eliminate a lot of the stress in my life.

amyj05

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
I know not everyone will agree with his choices, but I say kudos to him for being mortgage-free at 30 years old!

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »
Id be all over him in a heartbeat haha

He  is willing to work hard for the things he wants.  So he has  ambition, dedication, outside the box thinking etc  He saved money while living with his Mom.  I know a few people who live with roommates, have no vehicle, make good money and yet have nothing to show for it.

I find Kraft dinner expensive here though. I think I would of stuck with rice and on sale vegetables.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
Doing this sort of thing your entire life (like Scrooge or something) is one thing, but doing it for three years seems like no more of a sacrifice of your social life than doing a tour of duty with the military (for example).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!