Author Topic: Homemade deodorant  (Read 7088 times)

Mom to 5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Homemade deodorant
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
I used to order natural deodorant from Oyin Handmade. It was awesome! But eventually I decided to try making my own based on their ingredient list. Here's how I do it:

Equal parts baking soda, cornstarch and Shea butter
1/2 part coconut oil

It makes a paste that works great!

markstache

• Stubble
Re: Homemade deodorant
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
My wife made me some it is great. She added tea tree oil as well. I have had problems with commericial deodorants causing rashes on my arm pits. I've had no problems with the the home made mix.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
I used to order natural deodorant from Oyin Handmade. It was awesome! But eventually I decided to try making my own based on their ingredient list. Here's how I do it:

Equal parts baking soda, cornstarch and Shea butter
1/2 part coconut oil

It makes a paste that works great!

Thank you for posting a recipe, this is something I've always wanted to try. Just a few questions:

What consistency is the final product? How is it applied? Would it work for someone with underarm hair?

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
I do this too! But I use cocoa butter instead of Shea, and just use double baking soda instead of cornstarch.  I get it pretty liquidy by microwaving it, then pour it into an old Tom's of Maine deodorant container and refrigerate it to solidify-makes it easier to travel with, although it does get melty when it's super hot out, so I always keep it in its own ziplock when travelling.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:43:16 AM »
I use a variation on this recipe:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/solving-the-worlds-deodorant-crisis-a-new-soothing-recipe

@yolfer: the consistency depends on the temperature (coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees and liquid above) and how much other stuff you have mixed it. 

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:33:03 AM »
I just use one of the deodorant crystals, bought for $3 in November of 2011, and then swipe on a tiny bit of coconut oil if my skin seems dry. Works great, and my crystal stick still has about 1/4 left.  Very convenient and tiny for travel too. It's on about 1x2".

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
I use a variation on this recipe:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/solving-the-worlds-deodorant-crisis-a-new-soothing-recipe

@yolfer: the consistency depends on the temperature (coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees and liquid above) and how much other stuff you have mixed it.

Thanks! In Seattle, it probably won't ever turn liquid :)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Smalllife, The crunchy Betty recipe is a bit more involved. If it works for you, that's all that's important. I think the oil consistency would turne off. But the real issue is that I need to be able to do it quickly. I think it took ten minutes to gather supplies, mix, and put away. But I found her arrowroot info interesting. I may try using that when my cornstarch runs out.

What oil consistency?  Mine takes 5 minutes to put together and is a bit more liquid than the version you posted (I did that one but it had too much baking soda for me - I just need a deodorant really).  The chamomile made the biggest difference, but other than that I kind of just threw things together.  Baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, tea tree and lavender essential oil, shea butter, and almond oil.   Baking soda is really harsh on my pits so I need the tea tree to give a bit more deodorant power, mixed with the lavender and chamomile to cover the scent.  The shea butter and almond oil are just for mousturizing power :)

-JR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
I'm going to start looking this up, but is there any ingredient that can be added to make a solid? I like the overall set of ingredients, here in Southern California the coconut oil would probably be too melty... :-/

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
I was wondering about alternate ingredients too.  I react to both chamomile (gives me a splitting headache when I drink it) and coconut oil (I can eat it, but it causes my skin to chap badly when used topically).  Looks like I can leave out the chamomile, but there are no alternatives to the coconut oil on those links.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
I'm going to start looking this up, but is there any ingredient that can be added to make a solid? I like the overall set of ingredients, here in Southern California the coconut oil would probably be too melty... :-/

Beeswax and a higher concentration of shea butter will make it more solid.  Although I would say give the liquidity a try, it's just a mindset shift.  Otherwise you can keep it in the fridge and use the coconut oil. 

**For people just starting, it takes two weeks for your armpit pores to adjust to actually being able to breathe (unclogging the pores so to speak).  Expect a lot of perspiration during that time, but it will taper off dramatically. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »
I was wondering about alternate ingredients too.  I react to both chamomile (gives me a splitting headache when I drink it) and coconut oil (I can eat it, but it causes my skin to chap badly when used topically).  Looks like I can leave out the chamomile, but there are no alternatives to the coconut oil on those links.

I would think you could use just about any oil . . . the coconut is probably the most cost effective with moisturizing properties, etc., but if you are allergic you can substitute other oils which work better with your skin type.  Lavender is a skin soother like chamomile (the main point of having the chamomile - other herbs would work fine as well).    That's just the current "in" ingredient these days.   Jojoba oil is the most like our skin oils and a little goes a long way.  You can also try a powder version, with just baking soda and cornstarch/arrowroot powder.  Arrowroot powder acts the same as cornstarch but people with sensitive skin react less to it.  I would also start out with less of a concentration of baking soda given your sensitivity to other ingredients (I use a 1:3 ratio with a highly diluted mixture).   

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »
I use a mixture of coconut oil and shea butter w/the following EO: lavender, rosemary, tea tree and sweet orange.  The sweet orange helps take the edge off the tea tree smell a bit. I just keep mine in the refrigerator at all times to avoid it getting soft or liquidy.  You can add beeswax to get it more solid. From what I have read coconut oil it acts as an antibacterial, along with the tea tree oil. The shea butter just keeps the skin soft.  As another poster said...there is a two week or so adjustment period.  If perspiration is your problem some recipes add different kinds of clays.

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
I just use one of the deodorant crystals, bought for $3 in November of 2011, and then swipe on a tiny bit of coconut oil if my skin seems dry. Works great, and my crystal stick still has about 1/4 left.  Very convenient and tiny for travel too. It's on about 1x2".

I read this and did some research on it. There were lots of raving reviews and I was out of deodorant so I tried it today. I'm impressed how well it worked! I'm sweatier than most people (sexy, I know) so that says a lot. I've tried natural stuff like Tom's but it's not effective and expensive. I make most of my personal care products and tried making deodorant and it was awful (most people seem to love it though). Thanks for the recommendation!

NeighborGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
Been making my own deodorant for about 3 years now. I started with a coconut oil-based recipe kind of like the OP's, but I left out the shea butter. Protip: adding cornstarch makes it more pasty, so use more in the summer months. In the wintertime, I left it out entirely.

These days, I don't even bother with the coconut oil. Mixing the stuff is annoying and messy and leaves a whole bunch of unnecessary residue in your pits (and on your shirts). Currently, I have a repurposed powderpuff compact filled with baking soda, which I use to powder my pits. A few drops of almond oil (or whatever oil you have handy) before powdering helps the powder stick. Works just as well and conveniently without the extra steps of mixing stuff, and you save the expense of coconut oil, which is fucking precious if you haven't noticed.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Been making my own deodorant for about 3 years now. I started with a coconut oil-based recipe kind of like the OP's, but I left out the shea butter. Protip: adding cornstarch makes it more pasty, so use more in the summer months. In the wintertime, I left it out entirely.

These days, I don't even bother with the coconut oil. Mixing the stuff is annoying and messy and leaves a whole bunch of unnecessary residue in your pits (and on your shirts). Currently, I have a repurposed powderpuff compact filled with baking soda, which I use to powder my pits. A few drops of almond oil (or whatever oil you have handy) before powdering helps the powder stick. Works just as well and conveniently without the extra steps of mixing stuff, and you save the expense of coconut oil, which is fucking precious if you haven't noticed.

I tried this tonight! Or mostly this. I added some tea tree oil for fun. I have pretty sensitive pits, and usually have to wait a few hours between shaving and putting on deodorant. Not today! I did a few drops of almond oil and then brushed on the baking soda (previously infused with a few drops of tea tree oil), and there was absolutely no stinging or irritation!!! So far so good.

I also went full on and washed my hair with baking soda and rinsed with apple cider vinegar. It's a double experiment kinda night.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!