Author Topic: Home Gym Deadlift PR Today  (Read 6537 times)

ontheheel

• Stubble
Home Gym Deadlift PR Today
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
I've been skinny and weak my whole life. I'm still skinny and weak. Let's just start with that.

Inspired by this post, I cobbled together a garage gym with some birthday presents from family, unused Amazon credit, and rusted-out found/abandoned weights.

I've been getting up at 4:30 every morning and hitting the iron by 5:00 3x per week for a few months now using Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program.

After a good warmup, I hit five reps at 215lbs this morning. I got close to this earlier in the year before heading up to winter mountain warfare training, but couldn't cut it. After returning, I had wasted away from the hard training and harsh conditions in the high Sierra, and had a long way to go to get back to where I was. Now, I've met and surpassed it! Onward and upward.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Home Gym Deadlift PR Today
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
Right on!  It's really incredible the amount of control that disciplined lifting weights and eating properly gives you over your strength and body composition.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
I need to get back into the weights. I've been basically only utilizing cardio to keep myself fit, and playing basketball 2-3 das a week.

Back when I was hitting the gym, my Deadlift PR was 3x10 at 365, or a set of 5 at 415lbs. Not a chance in hell I could do that again.

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »
onthehell,
Way to go man!  First, awesome job getting your butt up at 4:30 to lift.  Then, you are actually slinging some iron around to boot.  Think of all those who are 3 hours from waking up with no intention of breaking a sweat that day.  Keep it up.

I started back last week in attempt to strengthen my bum right shoulder and work on my body composition (vanity is can be a powerful motivator!).  I was dying for a few days there, but it's starting to get fun again.  Good luck breaking all of your PRs.  Ed

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, yall!

Yeah, when it comes to early mornings, if I don't do it then, it just won't happen. My job is just too unpredictable during the day, and those early morning hours are the only ones that are "mine". If I wait till after work, I'm mentally worn out from doing counseling all day, and can't even think about doing something strenuous.

Once you get over the initial shock and get into a routine, it becomes a joy - a little celebration every morning to have something good accomplished before the day really even starts.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Great work! Deadlifts are life.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »
Fantastic.  These are not easy for me.  The position is hard for me to do. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
Since you and I have different perceptions as to what counts as weak, I've just ordered the book that you mentioned. I used to be strong, now I'm just strong... for a woman my age, which isn't a high bar. Thanks for the recommendation and inspiration!

I like that book, too! But it is like drinking from a firehose. Be prepared. Mark Rippetoe also has YouTube videos that I have found helpful. Good luck! I talk a lot of about lady weight lifting in my journal.

I have tried a bunch of other stuff but SS is my favorite so far. It's so... clean. Not so many distractions. My gym does not have the perfect equipment but I make it work. (Like there are no bumper plates.)

I just did a big de-load to work on my form. I was just not squatting below parallel and in fact it turns out that 2/3 of the racks at my gym, the pins are too high for me to low-bar squat below parallel!

OP: Awesome job, man. So many people are afraid of deadlifts! They are great!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Starting Strength is a tremendous book. The videos are also incredibly helpful for getting correct form - but you do need to either video yourself for comparison and/or get a friend to eyeball your technique.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »
Starting Strength is a tremendous book. The videos are also incredibly helpful for getting correct form - but you do need to either video yourself for comparison and/or get a friend to eyeball your technique.

That's a good point. My boyfriend came to the gym with me the other day and confirmed what I was beginning to suspect. I am SO SHORT that I cannot low-bar squat below parallel in 2 of the 3 racks at my gym! The bar knocks into the pins even on the lowest setting! Fortunately the third one is a different design.

He is not an experienced lifter but it was great to have his input. Now I know what "below parallel" really feels like :-).

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »

That's a good point. My boyfriend came to the gym with me the other day and confirmed what I was beginning to suspect. I am SO SHORT that I cannot low-bar squat below parallel in 2 of the 3 racks at my gym! The bar knocks into the pins even on the lowest setting! Fortunately the third one is a different design.

He is not an experienced lifter but it was great to have his input. Now I know what "below parallel" really feels like :-).

I know the Ripper loves those low bar squats, but I really would prefer to see people squat high bar for fitness/aesthetics goals. Low bar lets you move more weight, but is hell on the shoulders, elbows, and wrists, and doesn't build the quads and glutes like high bar does.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
SS has been perfect for me because it is dead simple. I got the SS app for my phone, hit "Today's Training", and just do what it tells me to do, reviewing my form occasionally with video of myself. I pay close attention to my form, and if I'm having trouble, I won't add weight until I've got it perfect. It slows down my progress in the short term, while preventing injury in the long term.

I know I'll eventually need to graduate to something more challenging and get better coaching, but the best exercise program for me right now is the one I'll actually do, and this feels like a solid start. Executing a lift that is objectively harder (more weight), and then getting to see some physical changes is such a lift, no pun intended. Even on the days that are "clock in, clock out," workouts, those changes over time are so motivating to get in and make it happen.

I think there's a parallel with FI, in that the end can seem so far off from the start, but once you see your net worth grow and see compounding start to work, it is a big boost that gives motivation to keep moving forward. Little daily decisions add up over time until the tsunami takes over and you ride it forward.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
The problem that you run into with SS is that it becomes too challenging to maintain the weight jumps after a few months, not that you need something more challenging.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
Nice job on the PR!  PR's always kickass

The problem that you run into with SS is that it becomes too challenging to maintain the weight jumps after a few months, not that you need something more challenging.

I think a lot of that has to do with beginner gains (which can be huge) and stalling out on just doing 5x5.  When you hit that point you are no longer "starting strength" and should move to something else.

After SS Wendler 5/3/1 is a good follow up as you get comfortable with the lifts at max weight.  From there switching to something westside barbell esqe and hitting max weights for 1/2/3 reps followed by % reps and adding dynamic/speed days.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
Great job!

The deadlift is my favorite lift. I cracked 600x1 weighing ~228 lbs this past winter. Sadly my max now is around 365-405 after focusing on triathlon the rest of the year.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
Awesome! I too am on SS and love my home gym.

What's great is seeing the strength come through on random stuff. Slinging around the little kids during a family get-together? So much more fun! Biking? Sprints are way more powerful. I also dance...my balance and control have improved by leaps and bounds.

I pay close attention to my form, and if I'm having trouble, I won't add weight until I've got it perfect. It slows down my progress in the short term, while preventing injury in the long term.
This. It really does take videoing yourself and watching videos of proper technique.

Keep up the good work!!

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
My wife and I traveled to NYC for our anniversary in January, and promptly got colds, followed by the flu, followed by pneumonia. I missed a week of lifting on vacation, and a week when I had a bad fever and was in bed. Apart from that, I did not miss a workout, even when feeling awful and hacking up a lung. My progress stalled out for a while, but got back on track a few weeks ago once I got healthy.

Net result? I hit 285x5 last week. I’m headed to the field for the next week and will miss some workouts, but my goal right now is to hit 300lbs before the end of the month. Feeling pretty confident about that now.

After this month, I need to start working some conditioning work back into my routine, as PFT season is just around the corner. Gains will slow down, but that’s fine with me as long as I’ve got a reasonable base of strength for a healthy 33-year old male. Onward and upward!

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »
Congrats!  I, too, can attest to lifting at home.  I'm female and minimization of muscle mass loss is my primary focus.  I've scrounged some second-hand dumbbells and started lifting with purpose at 44.  The payout for a few lifts and pushups seems much larger than it had been for the miles I used to run.  Which reminds me: I need to get off my lazy butt tomorrow morning.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 01:46:08 PM »
Resurrecting this, since it shows some back story.

After I posted my last update, my battalion spent a ton of time in the field, I acquired a couple of bulging discs, got pneumonia a second time (but still completed a battalion hike), did a cross-country move, had a third kid, and started a new billet that requires almost constant travel (not so much since COVID. By March of last year, I couldn't even tie my shoes without serious pain. After seeing a chiropractor and doctor, and having spinal steroid injections and surgery recommended, I took a different path.

I came across this article https://startingstrength.com/article/aches-and-pains, and it changed how I approached pain. Written by an MD who is also an experienced strength coach, I discovered how much of our perceptions of pain are often psychological/somatic. Armed with this information, I started squatting with an empty bar and doing rack pulls with an empty bar (and belt). Doing 3-5 high rep (10-15) sets at this weight every single day, then slowly adding weight back on the bar, while reducing volume cured my experience of pain in my back altogether. Hanging from a chin-up bar has also been helpful.

In the past year or so, I've not missed a single scheduled training session, even though I've "tweaked" my back on two different occasions. What would have sidelined me for weeks and been a major setback previously has now turned into a few days of focused rehab with the barbell, and typically surpassing the injury weight in less than a week.

Having said all of that, this week I pulled 345x5, and today squatted 300x5 for the first time. When I first started this thread, I was super pumped to deadlift 215, and a year ago, I was painfully trying to pick up an empty bar out of the rack. While I still wouldn't consider myself strong by any means, I went from a total weakling to at least above average strength.

On top of this, I've gotten my 68 year-old dad in the gym and under a barbell for the first time squatting 235 and pulling 260 for reps. It's brought us together in unanticipated ways, strengthening our relationship, while fighting the loss of muscle mass and strength that accompanies aging. He gets stronger and will hopefully stick around longer, I get stronger, and we both get closer as father and son.

It's been an awesome journey.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
Thank you for sharing this inspiring update!

With the gyms closed, I haven't been lifting at all. Sometimes I do strength training with the available resources: chin up bar, suspension trainer, pair of 15 lb dumbbells (I am a smaller woman, so these are useful for things like combination exercises and one-legged moves).

I glanced over that article and it seems really interesting--I bookmarked it to dig more into as time permits and if/when I injure myself again!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »
I, umm... squatted and bench pressed a ~57lb kid....

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:33 AM »
ontheheel,

I'm a huge SS fan.  If you stick with it, I think you will find that linear progression can take you farther than you would have ever imagined.  I started SS in 2008 at 45 years old (after having spent years in gyms doing less efficient and effective workouts).  SS Linear progression got me to a 435 lb squat, a 455 lb deadlift, and a 265 lb bench (all singles).  The minor back tweaks I had suffered off and on in previous years disappeared. 

Fast forward to 2020.  I'm now 56 and have continued to lift.  I have maintained good strength levels (my squat workouts were generally sets of 5 in the low 300s) but I have never surpassed my old SS PR.  I haven't lifted for over three months now (just made an international   move and my weights haven't caught up with me and local gyms are closed for Covid-19).  When my weights arrive (could be as early as next week), I will start a new SS linear progression and see how far it can take me. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
OP, I feel your pain (quite literally). I came across SS early last year. My back has been a mess for over a decade now and squats were always a no-no for me. I really tried to work on my form and realized I could actually squat without the pain and further injuring my back. Seems I was squatting all wrong to begin with. My spouse and I got gym passes after summer last year and I sold my home workout equipment. Needless to say with the gym being closed for quite some time now I haven't lifted anything in 4 months. I finally scored some good weights and a squat rack and am ready to start working out at home once again. I hate the gym, quite honestly. Actually I put the rack together and tried some bench pressing. Boy have I lost a good deal of strength. My back has been aching and I have lingering shoulder issues. But man oh man did it feel good to lift some iron!! Looking forward to getting back to where I was. 

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 02:24:12 PM »
Thanks all for the encouragement. I've got a membership to the local LA Fitness, but I also have a squat rack in my garage. My dad, who lives locally, offered to pay for LA Fitness so that he could train in the A/C, which we did until the county judge closed the gym in mid march. We just switched back to the garage for a while and kept making progress, and have been back at the gym for a couple of weeks with reopening. Now, the Navy is essentially putting all stateside personnel on super-lockdown and not allowing us to go to any gyms anywhere, so it's back to the garage...only now it's almost July in Texas and my garage is H.O.T.

I switched to a four-day split a few weeks ago, and started to see progress again after stalling out on LP and HLM. Getting volume up on the upper body lifts got me to a 200x5 bench and 155x5 press this week. Backing off weekly volume bumped my squat to 305. The goal is to hit 365/315/225/185 by the end of July for DL/Squat/Bench/Press, and then go into maintenance mode for 2-3 months in order to get running again for PRT season (Navy fitness test) in the fall. Running at 215 lbs, I've discovered, is very different from running at 160 lbs!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 07:25:56 AM »
Thanks all for the encouragement. I've got a membership to the local LA Fitness, but I also have a squat rack in my garage. My dad, who lives locally, offered to pay for LA Fitness so that he could train in the A/C, which we did until the county judge closed the gym in mid march. We just switched back to the garage for a while and kept making progress, and have been back at the gym for a couple of weeks with reopening. Now, the Navy is essentially putting all stateside personnel on super-lockdown and not allowing us to go to any gyms anywhere, so it's back to the garage...only now it's almost July in Texas and my garage is H.O.T.

I switched to a four-day split a few weeks ago, and started to see progress again after stalling out on LP and HLM. Getting volume up on the upper body lifts got me to a 200x5 bench and 155x5 press this week. Backing off weekly volume bumped my squat to 305. The goal is to hit 365/315/225/185 by the end of July for DL/Squat/Bench/Press, and then go into maintenance mode for 2-3 months in order to get running again for PRT season (Navy fitness test) in the fall. Running at 215 lbs, I've discovered, is very different from running at 160 lbs!
I tried the starting strength LP program last year. Did well for a bit but naturally stalled out. I think what helps with the LP is that they want you to consume a lot of calories to pack on weight. In that sense it's much easier to see gains from the LP program. These days I prefer a more relaxed progression. I have no intention of packing on the pounds. I am at a good weight. Just want to be in good shape as well.

I will say back when I used to run (back injuries prevents that these days), dropping even a couple pounds made a big difference.   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
Running at 215 lbs, I've discovered, is very different from running at 160 lbs!

This was something I discovered.  I'm 6' tall and went from 170 lbs to 220 over a couple years of heavy barbell training.  But I found that at that weight, many of the things I enjoy doing (boxing, running, cycling) weren't as fun . . . so I backed off on the lifting and dropped weight back to just under 200 lbs.  There's a big loss of strength, but doing other things feels way better.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
Great to read the OP and other posts. I've been jogging this year, doing 6 miles most days since May, and weighing in at 202 (I'm 5' 9"), it's slow going, but recent photos while on vacation are showing some nice results.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 10:57:57 PM »

This was something I discovered.  I'm 6' tall and went from 170 lbs to 220 over a couple years of heavy barbell training.  But I found that at that weight, many of the things I enjoy doing (boxing, running, cycling) weren't as fun . . . so I backed off on the lifting and dropped weight back to just under 200 lbs.  There's a big loss of strength, but doing other things feels way better.

Chin ups, also much harder at 132 pounds than at 125 pounds. (I am very short.) Alas, I can't blame muscle mass, that is loss of exercise from quarantine.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »

Chin ups, also much harder at 132 pounds than at 125 pounds. (I am very short.) Alas, I can't blame muscle mass, that is loss of exercise from quarantine.

I've never done a pull up or a chin up in my life, even at 110 pounds (I haven't seen THAT weight in decades...it was not a good weight for me).  (And especially not at 142 lbs.)  I am also short.  When I was lifting at the kettlebell gym, I would need 2 or 3 bands to even just hang there. 

I have been trying to "roll with it" during COVID.  I'm staying fit, it's just a different fit.  I don't have access to the gyms and their weights.  Can't swim in the pool  I have weights at home, and have been using them.  Sure, I'd love to be able to deadlift or squat more than 38-44 lbs, but that's the sum total of weights that I own (in dumbbells/ kettlebells), and good luck finding any more.  I bet post-COVID, I'll be able to get a deal.  I've got friends who are super sad at losing strength during this time, but I figure: it'll come back. 

Just like running isn't any better than walking (just different), lifting heavy isn't any better than lifting lighter/ doing more reps (just different).  I'm actually enjoying being "in the middle" right now, as opposed to being uber-focused on either running pace and distance (at 131 lbs) or increasing strength (145+ lbs).

Funny though, when I moved to CA with my husband and we had a lot of grad school friends...we would go hiking.  I hated hiking.  It was so fucking hard.  I did it, but I really didn't enjoy it at ALL.  Then I lost 50 lbs.  Turns out, hiking at 125 lbs is a lot easier than hiking at 175 lbs...

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »

I've never done a pull up or a chin up in my life, even at 110 pounds (I haven't seen THAT weight in decades...it was not a good weight for me).  (And especially not at 142 lbs.)  I am also short.  When I was lifting at the kettlebell gym, I would need 2 or 3 bands to even just hang there. 

I have been trying to "roll with it" during COVID.  I'm staying fit, it's just a different fit.  I don't have access to the gyms and their weights.  Can't swim in the pool  I have weights at home, and have been using them.  Sure, I'd love to be able to deadlift or squat more than 38-44 lbs, but that's the sum total of weights that I own (in dumbbells/ kettlebells), and good luck finding any more.  I bet post-COVID, I'll be able to get a deal.  I've got friends who are super sad at losing strength during this time, but I figure: it'll come back. 

Just like running isn't any better than walking (just different), lifting heavy isn't any better than lifting lighter/ doing more reps (just different).  I'm actually enjoying being "in the middle" right now, as opposed to being uber-focused on either running pace and distance (at 131 lbs) or increasing strength (145+ lbs).

Funny though, when I moved to CA with my husband and we had a lot of grad school friends...we would go hiking.  I hated hiking.  It was so fucking hard.  I did it, but I really didn't enjoy it at ALL.  Then I lost 50 lbs.  Turns out, hiking at 125 lbs is a lot easier than hiking at 175 lbs...

It's so hard to find workout equipment for a reasonable price these days. I got lucky with finding weights as I searched everyday until some popped up and then pounced before they were gone. Now I am trying to find some good adjustable dumbbells. Saw an eBay seller selling the Bowflex 90lb adjustable dumbbells for over $1100 (typically $600). He is selling 9-10 sets a day at that price. That's crazy!!

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 06:53:33 PM »
It's so hard to find workout equipment for a reasonable price these days. I got lucky with finding weights as I searched everyday until some popped up and then pounced before they were gone. Now I am trying to find some good adjustable dumbbells. Saw an eBay seller selling the Bowflex 90lb adjustable dumbbells for over $1100 (typically $600). He is selling 9-10 sets a day at that price. That's crazy!!
I agree, same problem here. I maxed out on the bowflex power rods and started looking for a used weight set. Expensive Wow. So I keep increasing the rep count and slowing them down and still achieve burnout but I guess it is not the same thing.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »
I agree, same problem here. I maxed out on the bowflex power rods and started looking for a used weight set. Expensive Wow. So I keep increasing the rep count and slowing them down and still achieve burnout but I guess it is not the same thing.
I'm lucky that I still had 2 sets of adjustable dumbbells from 10 years ago, from Amazon.  Each set is a total of 38 lbs (Two bars at 4lb each + 2x5# plates + 2x2.5#).  So at max, I can eventually get each dumbbell to 34 lbs because we actually own 2 full sets.  I don't love that the weights come out at 14/19/24/etc, but I can deal.

I ordered a 25# kettlebell from Amazon right before the SHTF and it got lost in the mail.  I then ordered another one from Rep fitness and got it.  But I thought it would be nice to get a 35# and a 2nd 25#.  Rep fitness has been slammed.  I managed to get 'in line" for their last ordering window (I was number 22,500 something).  After 4 hours, I got in.  By then, alllll the dumbbells sold out.  I did manage to snag two 10kg kettlebells (the largest they had left).  I figure they will be good for presses, double swings, squats.  When I get them anyway.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
Good job OP!

I'm not familiar with the bowflex rods but I'm picturing something like a barbell replacement. You could probably use bands or chains to add a little bit more resistance.

ontheheel

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 10:37:08 PM »
Major resurrection for continuity and accountability.

Getting older and gains do not come as easily as they did at the beginning. Working with a coach now, and trying to keep gaining strength aboard a ship at sea long term, which presents its own challenges (pitching deck being only one of them).

Updated PRs:

Deadlift: 365
Squat:325
Bench: 235
Press: 175

Currently on a ten-week programming cycle, and will retest 1RM in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the seas are calm enough to support a legitimate 1RM attempt. My hope is to be able to increase 1RM by at least 5lbs in each lift every ten-week cycle. That's 25lbs/year, and would put me in the 1,000lb club (powerlifting) in one year from now, before I turn 40. Hope springs eternal.

nouseforausername

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2023, 05:42:29 AM »
Great job! 75 lbs to add between those three lifts, and voila.

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2023, 08:50:04 AM »
Congrats!  Those numbers are legit and even more impressive considering you're doing it at sea.  Starting Strength is a great book.  Following his program, along with help and guidance from a friend, enabled me to hit my PR DL target.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!