Author Topic: Hmm let's see...some accomplishments and habits I've developed.  (Read 2893 times)

Monerexia

• Bristles
In no particular order...

1--All debts paid except for student loans and house.
2. Moved vehicle insurance to liability after payoff last year.
3. Espresso machine purchase last year which leads to .32 cents/double shot instead of Starbucks
4. Cash back credit cards for everything possible. Costco is 4% on gas, 2% everything in store and other card is 1.5% on everything else. This cash back is more than I spend on fuel in a year, so transportation is free except for repairs, insurance and depreciation.
5. Haven't eaten anything in a restaurant for almost a year. All groceries are from Costco except bananas because Costco bananas=gross, and onions bc don't use that many.
6. 401K and Roth maxed. HSA maxed. Emergency fund=HELOC and some in taxable accts index funds--100% equity--enough there so there's enough even with a correction.
7. Refinanced house and after much Thinkeresque thought opted for 30 year at lower rate than I was currently at to maximize cash flow.
8. Stopped buying bottled water--well maybe a couple per month to replace the bottles--.89 cents apiece. I used to do 3-4/day.
9. Leave vehicle parked sometimes for up to two weeks at a time and bike it up. Currently drive about 400-600 miles/month.
10. Local mini vacations instead of travel involving airplanes.
11. Bulk meats from Costco business center frozen--40lbs chicken breasts $1.39/lb for the win.
12. Found Starbucks 2.b beans on sale a couple months ago for $12.99 down from $17.99. Bought 12 which will last just past the expiration date.
13. Saving literally thousands/year in taxes with lower AGI due to maxing everything possible.
14. Am actually much happier, more confident, feeling much more "adult" since squaring the above away. It's what was missing from my life.

Investment Viking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hmm let's see...some accomplishments and habits I've developed.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:28:46 AM »
Well done with the changes - very impressive and fulfilling, i imagine! :)

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »
Yes indeed--thank you!

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
Which espresso machine did you buy? I don't drink coffee  really but I love making espresso beverages from time to time. I think I honestly just want one most for the steam wand function.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:49:09 AM »
Fantastic! Congratulations.
As this all becomes normal and “obvious” ... you will watch your savings pile up amazingly fast.
And people will say, “well, you’re just lucky, unfortunately I can’t afford to save like that.”

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 01:15:15 AM »
Well done.

Most people can reduce their expenses like that, but you will actually need to make the effort to implement the changes.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
Which espresso machine did you buy? I don't drink coffee  really but I love making espresso beverages from time to time. I think I honestly just want one most for the steam wand function.
I can't speak to which machine the OP has, but I purchased a delonghi magnifica "super automated" coffee/espresso machine used back in 2008.  It started leaking water so we brought it to a repair shop last month and they charged us the same price that we bought the machine for 10 years ago ($350) to go through a refurbish it back to new condition.  There is a counter inside the machine, they had never seen one with so much use, 42,000 cups! (each double counts as two) so we've had 21k cups of espresso for about $.02 each, not including the cost of the coffee beans.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Well done! 

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Impressive

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Good job! ... so what's on the chopping block next?

1. Our biggest save this year was switching homeowners insurance to a different company $900 total savings.

2. One habit I developed after I found doctorofcredit.com via a link on MMM is to get the most out of all my banks, credit unions and credit cards.

From a bonus for signing up to actually being suited for what I want to use it for, do they offer high-interest savings, great CD rates, other perks and if two are practically alike - do they offer other helpful to me little extra bennies?
Like no foreign exchange fee - 3% or more saved, more savings if they also cover other exchange rate related fees or give you concierge services or access to airport lounges or $100 travel purchase credit (that one was extra nice and it is an annual repeat benefit:), covering my cell phone insurance if I pay my bill with them instead of paying $12 mo to T-Mobile for insurance for each phone - $24 savings month and I get 3% cashback on top.
I didn't even realize that I could pay my car insurance and get 3% cashback - not huge, but it all adds up.

I will definitely use the right card to get a free extended warranty on our appliances next time around. That's an easy 80-100 bucks saved.
I have two cards that only charge 9% interest which will come in handy if I ever need it but one of my credit unions actually offers 3.5% personal credit loans that is always there for your use.

I'd been with my old credit union for almost 20 years that other than a decent car loan had absolutely nothing else to offer during that entire time - what a waste of money.

The newest card I'm looking at is strictly because I need a 15 month no interest charge for purchases card, but it does give me a $200 bonus for $1K spend in 90 days, actually it gives you an extra $100 bonus if you spent $7500 total annual your first year. It is a BOA card which gives you free entry into museums once a month, useful. Free loan, free money and a benny I will use.

3. I'm on board with the pay off your credit card in full each month - I like that feeling of being debt-free all over again:).

4. HABIT - MMM reminded me to question everything and often - it pays off.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 10:42:50 AM »
14. Am actually much happier, more confident, feeling much more "adult" since squaring the above away. It's what was missing from my life.

Heck yeah!! What a list. Congrats on the aweseomness