Author Topic: Hit Zero Net Worth!!!  (Read 8595 times)

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hit Zero Net Worth!!!
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »
Been drinking the MMM kool-aid for the past 7 months and I reached zero net worth as of yesterday!  Yay! 

driftwood

• Bristles
Re: Hit Zero Net Worth!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
You rock!  I also hit a zero net worth this month.  I told a friend and he thought it was a bad thing until I explained that it had been a negative net worth for a long time.  Keep up the momentum!  Now those dollars can start making you money.

ninjaneer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Way to go, you two!  Now that the fire in your hair is out, you can methodically sock that cash away!  Welcome to the club :)

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
I look back fondly at the month that my net worth chart crossed that line into the positive.  Save your data, it's fun to look back at because it brings back memories that wouldn't be triggered otherwise.  Well, it's fun for me at least. :)

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
Congrats Driftwood!  We are on our way!  I will definitely be keeping the data.  I am sort of a spreadsheet junky.  I love tracking my progress and tweaking my plans.  This is very exciting for me.  Not that long ago I was living above my means and thanks to all of you I have gotten lean and mean!  Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
I passed the mark, then bought an engagement ring and started planning a wedding, which brought me back down.  No facepunches on either purchase-I like family friends and fiancé, so this was a known cost, and we're keeping it doable (albeit not "cheap"). 
I am paying for band, beer, and brisket, and want to invite who I want to invite.  Anything over that and she's responsible for it.  Seems to be a good plan so far.  Moving in together should cut expenses dramatically though!

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »
Congrats!! I did this about a year ago. Great milestone!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
I look back fondly at the month that my net worth chart crossed that line into the positive.  Save your data, it's fun to look back at because it brings back memories that wouldn't be triggered otherwise.  Well, it's fun for me at least. :)
I second that! This made me look back and wish I had started tracking sooner.
Fun side note: I graphed my quarterly net worth and there appears to be an inflection point where I started reading MMM... I should expect no less :)

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing & great job! It's always inspiring to come to the forums. I am about 7 months behind you. I have been aggressively paying off my student loans, and barring any major emergencies, my goal is achieve a zero net worth in October. 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
Congratulations! Keep it up, now you'll have interest tailwinds as you push forward :-)

mark_saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
Congratulations! Even though it was almost 3 decades ago, I remember that day clearly .... I had student loans and a car loan and rent due and I added it all up and compared it to my savings account balance and it was equal. I experienced great joy from that realization!

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »
Congrats! I had a nice little surprise myself on the way to 0% net worth today! I took a look at personal capital, and when I subtracted out the CC charges my father had put on my AMEX (I know, not advisable, but he doesn't have credit of his own is paying them down + interest, so no cost to me and I get the points) I am at -$8,407, not the -$11K I thought I was at.

Can't wait to have that number hit 0.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »
Oh well done!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
Awesome! Now you've  got a tailwind helping you. Just 4 years ago i was at -20k now i am sit at $156k :-) getting back to zero was the hardest as it felt so mentally tough. Hoping to hit $200k by year end. With some assets behind you its a lot easier to save than when in the red.

Corporate Coconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »
Congrats! And I agree - coming out of the red was a much bigger high than anything I have experienced since. Savour it!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »
Congrats! Rock on!

tlars699

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »
I passed the mark, then bought an engagement ring and started planning a wedding, which brought me back down.  No facepunches on either purchase-I like family friends and fiancé, so this was a known cost, and we're keeping it doable (albeit not "cheap"). 
I am paying for band, beer, and brisket, and want to invite who I want to invite.  Anything over that and she's responsible for it.  Seems to be a good plan so far.  Moving in together should cut expenses dramatically though!

We just had a zero net spent wedding (if you included all the financial gifts our fam/friends contributed), so good luck and it is possible.
TJ MAXX has awesome deals on white dresses, btw.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
This is a huge milestone... I can vouch from experience you are much closer than you think.

I hit this point in 2003.... At the peak of the market just a couple of weeks back we hit $1.5M plus the house was still paid off.

Keep going!

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Thanks so much for all the replies.   It is nice to see that all my hard work has been paying off and that I am getting somewhere.  Now I just have to watch my plans play out.  I love that this forum is full of such positive and encouraging people.  It is awesome to hear about all of your accomplishments.  It gives me something to strive for!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »
Congrats! We hit $0 just last month, it's an amazing feeling. Now progress gets real fast!

B L I S S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:32 PM »
I, too, recently hit $0 net worth sometime last month. I don't know exactly when - it must have been some point between the bonus and pay raise, but I never felt that much happiness from the occurrence. After realizing where I could have been I'm only going to be satisfied when I have completely eliminated the loans from my financial portfolio.

vulgar_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
Bliss, you should give yourself some credit!  It is a bid deal to go into the black.  You may have made mistakes in the past, but now you are making good progress.  I will be happier when I am completely out of debt too, but I will take great pleasure in my milestones until that time next year.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 10:30:47 AM »
The cool thing is that once you have the recipie the delicious results almost can't help but follow.

I.e save more, spend less, rise, lather repeat.. (OK you have to start investing at some point but that is pretty simple).. Do that for 10 years, look at portfolio and count down to retirement!

Woohoo..:)