Author Topic: Hit two commas today!  (Read 5751 times)

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
Hit two commas today!
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
I've been an avid reader of MMM for years now and this was a huge goal of mine. Tomorrow is my 33rd birthday, and I was hoping to hit two commas before then. After tallying everything up, I'm at $1,012,433.20. Yay!

Of course, I know the market swings in the next few days/weeks will move me back down, but it's fun while it's here. Hitting this milestone makes me feel like all the Mustachian changes I made a few years ago really paid off.

Thanks to everyone who has given advice to me on the forum to help me get here!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Hit two commas today!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
Dude, congrats!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
Congratulations!

What are your FIRE plans?

---
Sidenote:
The way you titled it reminds me - some Asian cultures used to put commas every four digits, not every three. It made sense with their language though - there's words for hundred, thousand, and ten thousand. So you'd say ten ten thousand, not hundred thousand.

If you need another goal....try hitting two commas under that system! ;)

amyj05

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
Wow!!! That's awesome!!!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
That's fantastic (and happy birthday)! What's next for you?

spud1987

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »
Congrats!

I recently went over $1MM according to mint.com. However, I use Zillow to estimate my house value on mint.com so even if it is accurate it does not include fees associated with turning the house into a liquid asset.

I think the bigger milestone for me will be $1MM in investable assets (we are at 750k now).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 02:47:28 PM »
Congrats!  Being a millionaire at 33 is insane. 

Congratulations!

---
Sidenote:
The way you titled it reminds me - some Asian cultures used to put commas every four digits, not every three. It made sense with their language though - there's words for hundred, thousand, and ten thousand. So you'd say ten ten thousand, not hundred thousand.

I've had 2 commas for a long time if you go by the Indian system.  A lot of people on here make more than a lakh dollars in a single year.   

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »
I've had 2 commas for a long time if you go by the Indian system.  A lot of people on here make more than a lakh dollars in a single year.

TIL!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 03:25:20 PM »
Badass!
NewStachian, with barely any stubble to be found, has reached FU money. whooo!

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
congrats!  that's awesome

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
Congratulations, That's a big deal! You are ahead of over 90% of American households, and only 33 yrs old.
 I was going tell you the second million comes a lot faster, but dude, your only 33, your first came quick!
 I'm almost twice that old and it has only been 6 or 7 years ago that I hit 2 commas.
Congrats.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 08:14:52 PM »
Congratulations! I tried to look at your blog to see how you were able to accomplish this, but the link was broken :(

RodFoster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
What's your next goal?  What are you going to do to achieve it?

RodFoster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
Oh ya, I forgot to say, CONGRATS!

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
Congrats, I am a year older than you and at $750K. Keep up the great work!!

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
Congrats!!

I am very curious if this was a sub goal or final goal and how your plans may change going forward. Plans as in savings rate, risk diversification, outlook on work and life, etc.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 05:29:40 PM »
Thanks, everyone! It's always amazing how supportive and positive the MMM community is. To answer a few questions in no particular order:

Congratulations!

---
Sidenote:

Haha, I don't think I will ever need to hit 2 commas under that system, but you never know :) FIRE plan is to keep working. I feel incredibly fortunate to be at the job I'm at. I get to solve hard problems with a group of people who are also my best friends and they pay way too much. I don't see a reason to leave anytime soon - I'm not really itching to do anything else.

Congrats!!

I am very curious if this was a sub goal or final goal and how your plans may change going forward. Plans as in savings rate, risk diversification, outlook on work and life, etc.

The $1M mark was a sub-goal. My real goal is $3M by 40. I'm having fun working, so see no reason to slow it down.

Congrats, I am a year older than you and at $750K. Keep up the great work!!

I was at $750k last year. It can pick up FAST once you get all your MMM spending in place and just shovel money into investments. Of course, anything can happen with the market. I might be back to $750k tomorrow - who knows. I'm not worried about it either way. As MMM says, put the right processes in place and don't sweat the details. You'll get there if you do the right things.

Congratulations! I tried to look at your blog to see how you were able to accomplish this, but the link was broken :(

OMG I was too cheap to keep paying the subscription! It wasn't really anything remarkable except a little more of my spin on some of the same stuff discussed on this forum.

Congrats!

I recently went over $1MM according to mint.com. However, I use Zillow to estimate my house value on mint.com so even if it is accurate it does not include fees associated with turning the house into a liquid asset.

I think the bigger milestone for me will be $1MM in investable assets (we are at 750k now).

Yea, I definitely would need to caveat this "milestone" because it doesn't include some of those things you mentioned, or the cost of liquidating my current investments. If I were to actually sell all my stock, the taxes would bump me much lower real fast. I also put in a zillow estimate, but I feel it's pretty conservative because I recently put a 100k addition on my house (cash) and haven't gotten the value reassessed (I would assume it would at least bump up the value by $50k). All that being said, I'm at about $850k of invested assets, $100k home equity, and about $50k cash.

Thanks again, everybody!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!