Author Topic: Hit some nice round numbers  (Read 20445 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Hit some nice round numbers
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »
I do all of my net worth estimates assuming a 0% return from the stock market, so just an increase from my savings. That way, the stock market going up is a pleasant surprise.

Me too!

I do include them from the point of view of determining "Am I FIRE now?"

JL9berg13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
Congrats everyone!  Seeing your posts is really inspirational - not only from seeing where you're at now, but also from where you were at just a couple years ago.

I'm a little late to the game and have more student loans than I'd like, but I'm starting to sock away a good amount.  Just a year ago I got a positive net worth and am now about 45k up.  Looking forward to that first 100k.

Keep it going guys and gals!

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
While I watch my net worth grow by tens of thousands of dollars per month, in disbelief, I try to remind myself...

easy come, easy go.

I totally hear you.. I have a hard time believing that my assets will continue to grow and appreciate like they have been. This causes me to continue saving at a high %. Not sure when I'll feel like I've won the game, but I'm not there yet.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
Reading over this thread, I've been feeling that same way since 2013 and yet here we are, climbing ever higher.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:04 AM »
It's cool to see the progress, congratulations  -the million can't be far away now.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »
I am so close to 300k! I am including my condo because it was only this year that I paid it off, and all that hard dumping of cash into the mortgage was real. Zillow doesn't seem to be getting the number right though. Zillow says 92k- i bought it for 140k in 05 if I use the 'private estimate' button on Zillow, I get 141k- which seems more like it.

Confusing!
Anyway I can't wait to come back and update that I have 300k nw.. soonsies!!!

Honest Abe

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »
Hello again!

Hit $900k+ over the last few weeks.. it's been a roller coaster. I thought I was on track to hit it sooner, but Zillow dropped my house value almost $80k in the middle and it's been crawling back up. I've also benefitted from the big run-up of crypto, namely Bitcoin. Stock market has been kind to us as well. Regardless we're saving quite a bit each month.. One of these days we're going to need to start some renovations, but until we really feel the urge we'll just keep saving.

Hope everyone here is doing well... keep fighting the good fight..hope to see you all with news of double commas in the next year or so!

Hey everyone - here for an update

I think about this thread a lot, but am usually hesitant to come back and post

Currently my NW sits at $3.5 million. Our incomes have increased, the market has obviously done well the last few years. But the number of performer in my portfolio has been bitcoin.

I know many here are not big fans, so make of it what you will. But that part of portfolio now exceeds any other individual asset class. I’ve bought bitcoin just the same way I’ve funded my retirement account, by dollar cost averaging over time. That’s all.

Having a large bitcoin stack has given us the confidence to increase our savings rate, oddly enough. We currently max out 3 retirement accounts. Saving on taxes and accumulating bitcoin has been the two primary ideas that currently drive our savings plan.

Anyways, best of luck to you all… I might check on this thread in the coming days but will likely disappear again for a while.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:59:30 AM by Honest Abe »

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2021, 07:15:13 PM »
Cool update, I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread. Appreciate the honesty.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »
Abe are you going to take at least some of those crypto gains off the table?

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2021, 03:45:58 PM »
Wow! I just read post #1 then zoomed to the end. Amazing.

Can you describe what emotions you experienced or actions you took in March 2020 when BTC dropped down to $5k/usd ?

i_have_so_much_to_learn

• Stubble
  • started a chatroom: https://discord.gg/agSSAhXzYD
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2021, 06:02:54 PM »
Hello again!

Hit $900k+ over the last few weeks.. it's been a roller coaster. I thought I was on track to hit it sooner, but Zillow dropped my house value almost $80k in the middle and it's been crawling back up. I've also benefitted from the big run-up of crypto, namely Bitcoin. Stock market has been kind to us as well. Regardless we're saving quite a bit each month.. One of these days we're going to need to start some renovations, but until we really feel the urge we'll just keep saving.

Hope everyone here is doing well... keep fighting the good fight..hope to see you all with news of double commas in the next year or so!

Hey everyone - here for an update

I think about this thread a lot, but am usually hesitant to come back and post

Currently my NW sits at $3.5 million. Our incomes have increased, the market has obviously done well the last few years. But the number of performer in my portfolio has been bitcoin.

I know many here are not big fans, so make of it what you will. But that part of portfolio now exceeds any other individual asset class. I’ve bought bitcoin just the same way I’ve funded my retirement account, by dollar cost averaging over time. That’s all.

Having a large bitcoin stack has given us the confidence to increase our savings rate, oddly enough. We currently max out 3 retirement accounts. Saving on taxes and accumulating bitcoin has been the two primary ideas that currently drive our savings plan.

Anyways, best of luck to you all… I might check on this thread in the coming days but will likely disappear again for a while.

congrats! I am having FOMO!

Honest Abe

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2021, 11:42:03 PM »
Abe are you going to take at least some of those crypto gains off the table?

No I don’t plan on it. Trying to time a sale could lead to owning less bitcoin in the end. As my best performing asset is rather not part with it for dollars, since my my pays me in dollars every other week. All of my tax advantages accounts continue to accumulate index funds, at a greater $ amount than I buy use to buy bitcoin.

Can you describe what emotions you experienced or actions you took in March 2020 when BTC dropped down to $5k/usd ?

I didn’t feel anything… Honestly I was buying more at the time… remember the entire economy went into liquidity shock at that time, so there was pain all around even in stocks. Though certainly the % drop the in bitcoin was more than stocks, I’ve learned to accept the volatility, good and bad, and ride it out.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
Greetings All: An update

So my two largest individual positions are down quite bit: Bitcoin and Tesla stock. Our NW currently stands at about $2.1mil, down from a peak of $3.5 mil.

I haven't sold anything significant in the last year, aside from some FB/Meta stock I sold because I hate the company. Otherwise I've been accumulating bitcoin after-tax, and been maxing our 3 pre-tax accounts into Vanguard index funds. Yawn.

See you in a year or so... who knows where we'll all be!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2022, 08:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the update. Always appreciate folks checking back in, good and bad.

frugal_c

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2023, 07:09:13 PM »
Hit $1.6M liquid net worth today.   With the house, the total NW is around $2m.

My goal was $1.5M plus a buffer.  So now I have a $100k buffer.  Still seems a bit tight though, so OMY.

I believe when I first hear of MMM (7 years ago) our total NW was in the vicinity of $800k.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2023, 09:48:33 AM »
Hit $1.6M liquid net worth today.   With the house, the total NW is around $2m.

My goal was $1.5M plus a buffer.  So now I have a $100k buffer.  Still seems a bit tight though, so OMY.

I believe when I first hear of MMM (7 years ago) our total NW was in the vicinity of $800k.

Excellent progress!

Right there with you on OMY.  I'd rather have extra buffer than have to go back to work.