Author Topic: Hit FI Yesterday  (Read 36500 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Hit FI Yesterday
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
Not sure if you've addressed this already, but I'm interested in your take on Vegas as a retirement city.  Pros, cons, etc.  Which part of the city do you live in?  If you've discussed this, I'll try harder to find it.  If you haven't, maybe it would be better answered a separate post or PM.

That would depend on the person, and a number of factors related to them (age, proclivities, thoughts about the weather, etc.)

Vegas is a whole city outside the strip, so if you're a tourist who's only seen the strip and downtown, you missed a lot.

I think it would be an ideal retirement city for some, and terrible for others.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

Vegas is a whole city outside the strip, so if you're a tourist who's only seen the strip and downtown, you missed a lot.

I also saw Pay it Forward.

Joet

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
congrats OP :)

Justaerin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »

And you will likely screw up.  I know I did.  But that's okay.  Don't be afraid to start because of that, but gain all the knowledge you reasonably can, and then take action on it.

EDIT: Rereading this post I see my first sentence I started by directly answered one of your questions - the one you asked most direct at the end, rather than hypothetically - and it's a perfect example of how it probably doesn't help you gain knowledge.  Now you know that some random guy on the internet, "arebelspy," doesn't care for holding REITs in a paper portfolio.  Terrific.  But when you go out and research REITs for yourself and begin to understand why I might prefer hard real estate assets over REITs and form your own opinions on them, that's when you'll gain knowledge around the topic and be empowered to make your own decisions.

I appreciate the need to gain experience yourself to truly know a subject, and even learning from the direct experience of another isn't a total substitute for going through the fire and the flames yourself.  At the same time, I think we can benefit quite a bit from the experience, knowledge, and even opinions of others as they help to show some other facets of a topic, as long as we know we still have to go through it to gain the bulk of the benefit.  So I really appreciate the reply! 

PS I'm in Victorville, so if your road trips to SoCal ever leave you guys stranded in the High Desert, hit me up!

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
Cheers to you and your wife - this is friggin' awesome!

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
According to bogleheads, Mr Money Mustache is requiring you to cease work and live off of your 4% withdrawal rate without any concern with your personal situation. Congrats. Now stop working.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
According to bogleheads, Mr Money Mustache is requiring you to cease work and live off of your 4% withdrawal rate without any concern with your personal situation. Congrats. Now stop working.

Bwahahaha!

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
Congratulations!!!  That is really impressive. 

travelbug

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
Awesome! What a ride.

How exciting to be on the cusp of the rest of your life. Enjoy.

TB

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Outstanding, arebelspy!

I always feel this surge of excitement for anyone who has an announcement like this.  For you, arebelspy, I think it was even moreso.

It's like I feel like I'm part of this big team, and any time one of them declares FI, or FIREs, it's like we scored another goal.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Outstanding, arebelspy!

I always feel this surge of excitement for anyone who has an announcement like this.  For you, arebelspy, I think it was even moreso.

It's like I feel like I'm part of this big team, and any time one of them declares FI, or FIREs, it's like we scored another goal.

Thanks!  :D

And great analogy! I'm totally rooting for everyone here, and get excited when people make progress or reach milestones!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

LivingOnLess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
Congrats!!!!!!

Total badassity all the way to the bone!  Good for you and your wife!

LivingOn(a lot)Less

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
Wonderful!  I am so happy for you.  Can't wait to write this post for myself.

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:20 AM »
Very cool.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »
Great story and a great outcome.