Author Topic: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like  (Read 55943 times)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
I find myself obsessed with the idea of trying this. I don't mind doing BS/V occasionally and love the super-squeaky clean feeling, but it's so harsh I don't want to do it every day. Hate the chemicals in "regular" shampoo but have not found a natural one that doesn't make my hair seem really greasy afterwards.

So, my questions:

1. Has anyone used baby powder to reduce the greasiness during the adjustment period? Is that "allowed"?
2. Will I like, never be able to wash with shampoo again? I get my hair cut at the salon* and you know how they like to shampoo it.

*Don't judge! I have CRAZY fine hair that only looks good IME with a professional blunt cut. I try to stretch it out a few months in betwee.

I didn't use baby powder, but I did use a combo of cornstarch and cocoa powder. It worked great to reduce excess oil. I still use it pretty often; my hair looks better and has more body when I do. But if you want to use baby powder, I bet that would work fine too. I think I've read some sites that talk about using baby powder as dry shampoo.

The bottom line is that you can wash with shampoo anytime you want; you just have to be ready for the consequences, which might be greasier hair for a little while. You can also tell your stylist not to use any product on your hair, including shampoo. You are the one paying, after all.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
I find myself obsessed with the idea of trying this. I don't mind doing BS/V occasionally and love the super-squeaky clean feeling, but it's so harsh I don't want to do it every day. Hate the chemicals in "regular" shampoo but have not found a natural one that doesn't make my hair seem really greasy afterwards.

So, my questions:

1. Has anyone used baby powder to reduce the greasiness during the adjustment period? Is that "allowed"?
2. Will I like, never be able to wash with shampoo again? I get my hair cut at the salon* and you know how they like to shampoo it.

*Don't judge! I have CRAZY fine hair that only looks good IME with a professional blunt cut. I try to stretch it out a few months in betwee.

I didn't use baby powder, but I did use a combo of cornstarch and cocoa powder. It worked great to reduce excess oil. I still use it pretty often; my hair looks better and has more body when I do. But if you want to use baby powder, I bet that would work fine too. I think I've read some sites that talk about using baby powder as dry shampoo.

The bottom line is that you can wash with shampoo anytime you want; you just have to be ready for the consequences, which might be greasier hair for a little while. You can also tell your stylist not to use any product on your hair, including shampoo. You are the one paying, after all.

I meant cornstarch baby powder, which I regularly use to stretch times between washing my hair. Interestingly, it works great when my last wash was with baking soda and vinegar, because then any oils in my hair are actual hair oils. Doesn't work well after a shampoo wash because then what looks like "grease" is actually residue!

Talc is chemically related to asbestos and probably carcinogenic. (Really! I looked it up!) I am almost out of cornstarch baby powder and can't find more without aloe in it but I could probably try using regular cornstarch :-). (My hair is not dark enough for cocoa powder.)

Thanks! Anyone else want to weigh in with words of encouragement?

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Talc is chemically related to asbestos and probably carcinogenic. (Really! I looked it up!) I am almost out of cornstarch baby powder and can't find more without aloe in it but I could probably try using regular cornstarch :-). (My hair is not dark enough for cocoa powder.)

You could try cinnamon instead of cocoa. I used cinnamon as dry shampoo when I went trekking in Nepal with my boyfriend. We have different hair colours, and cinnamon was an acceptable compromise. Plus, hair smells like cinnamon. Yum. :)  There were several days straight where I didn't wash my hair with water and I would just sprinkle cinnamon and brush it through. However cinnamon by itself has natural oils so I think towards the end my hair was straddling the fine line of "healthy shine" and "greasy" territory. I really liked how my waves looked however... Temporary picture here, please do not be alarmed by what I've done to my face: http://uploadpie.com/NtTG6

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

You could try cinnamon instead of cocoa. I used cinnamon as dry shampoo when I went trekking in Nepal with my boyfriend. We have different hair colours, and cinnamon was an acceptable compromise. Plus, hair smells like cinnamon. Yum. :)  There were several days straight where I didn't wash my hair with water and I would just sprinkle cinnamon and brush it through. However cinnamon by itself has natural oils so I think towards the end my hair was straddling the fine line of "healthy shine" and "greasy" territory. I really liked how my waves looked however... Temporary picture here, please do not be alarmed by what I've done to my face: http://uploadpie.com/NtTG6

I knew it was coming, but I was still alarmed, haha.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »
I knew it was coming, but I was still alarmed, haha.

I initially tried to give myself the donkey's face but my digital processing skills aren't quite advanced enough...

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
I am trying this because of OP.  I have curly hair.  It's a little scary right now.  As of July 7 it'll be 6 weeks.  I hope it looks better then.  As of now, it's very thick, and hard to run my fingers through.  It feels like it's full of product.  I have to treat it as one unit rather than separate hairs, if that makes sense. 

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2016, 07:59:56 AM »
I am trying this because of OP.  I have curly hair.  It's a little scary right now.  As of July 7 it'll be 6 weeks.  I hope it looks better then.  As of now, it's very thick, and hard to run my fingers through.  It feels like it's full of product.  I have to treat it as one unit rather than separate hairs, if that makes sense.
Is it very thick (as in lots of hairs) AND curly?  If so, I've had great success in using thinning shears plus twirling small chunks together while it's still wet and letting them dry that way.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2016, 07:11:04 AM »
Talc is chemically related to asbestos and probably carcinogenic. (Really! I looked it up!)

"Chemically related" is completely meaningless. Carbon monoxide is chemically related to oxygen, but that doesn't make oxygen poison.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/talcum-powder-and-cancer

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Is it very thick (as in lots of hairs) AND curly?  If so, I've had great success in using thinning shears plus twirling small chunks together while it's still wet and letting them dry that way.
No, not lots of hairs.  Thick as in sticky.  I like the idea of twirling though!  I'll try it. 

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
Just gave up on no poo after a few weeks of hating the way my hair felt (never clean, even right after a shower). I'm trying the Dr. Bronner's castile soap to see if that works any better.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
Talc is chemically related to asbestos and probably carcinogenic. (Really! I looked it up!)

"Chemically related" is completely meaningless. Carbon monoxide is chemically related to oxygen, but that doesn't make oxygen poison.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/talcum-powder-and-cancer

Huh. I fact-checked it a couple of years ago but may have missed the boat. No one's perfect.

I've gotten used to the cornstarch now.

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2016, 12:22:10 PM »
Wow, I haven't checked this post in a while and it's awesome to know that so many people are in the process of trying this out! Go team. Also bummed to see that some folks tried it and it didn't work out, but hey, at least you know now it's not for you.

I'm in France now and the water here is much harder, which to my great sadness is making my hair greasier than it was the OP picture in Georgia (the country). There's like a mineral-y residue that is definitely noticeable and I'm coming up on a year of not using shampoo one time. I can clear it out with ~30 minutes of brushing in the bath, but that's not particularly something I want to have to do frequently.

Anyone have any tips for no-poo and hard water?

After some brief research, sounds like using distilled water or boiling the water is one option. I'm a big bath taker so that might not actually be a huge problem.

There are also showerheads that soften the water which for $30 and one's overall skin/head etc health might actually be worth the money if you're staying in one place. I am just housesitting for the summer so it's probably not worth the money for me.

I think I will give the cocoa powder thing a shot too.

I'll report back if I find something that works.

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2016, 02:29:08 AM »
Holy crap. Per a beauty blog I washed my hair with an egg mixed with a little bit of honey.

It's like ungodly soft and you can see it looks better than the OP. I'm not upset about how it felt and looked before but this is insane nice.

We'll see if the residue-lessness stays if I only use boiled water to wash from here on out. I'm not gonna be mad at all if my hair washing is water-only with a quarterly egg and honey wash (egg even came straight from the cloaca of hens where I'm farmsitting and living for free)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »
Thank you for the continued hair update! It's very interesting on the hard water front.

Just be careful what temperature you wash out an egg wash. I may of, uh, ended up with some scrabled eggs once. Just a little. Behind my ear.

Also, if you do a yogurt hair mask (which works wonderfully as well for me), WASH THOROUGHLY. You don't want to be at the bank the next day, wondering what smells so awful, and realize you missed some yogurt residue. Which now smells like death.

Man, being a hippy is difficult sometimes =P

Julard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to make no-shampoo or shampoo alternatives work for my hair, but I've replaced conditioner with slightly diluted apple cider vinegar.  It actually gives a much better result, and I can go longer between washes. 

Side note - it turns out that vinegar also works for me as a deodorant alternative.  I keep white vinegar in a small spray bottle and give a squirt to each armpit when I get out of the shower.  No amount of shop-bought deodorant ever stopped smelly armpit seams in jumpers, but this does.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
A couple of tips to make things go smoother - shave your armpits, especially if you are a guy.  The reason guys stink more than girls is because girls shave their armpits, and it's the hair that the stinkiness sticks to.

As a woman who used to not shave her armpits and now do, I can attest to the hair holding the stinkiness.

This! I've known quite a few folks of all genders who have gone from no underarm hair control to either shaving or trimming (keeping it trimmed short works almost as well) to help control odor. The reason we specifically care about our underarm sweat more than all the tons of sweat from elsewhere is that it's a perfect little cauldron of crevices, hair and sweat for those bugs to thrive :)

For myself, I am a male with very short hair. I use only inexpensive soap (or sometimes bargain basement shampoo that's basically just liquid soap!) to wash my entire body. I won't go product-free because 1.) I've tried it and hated it, and 2. remembering some experiences with acquaintances who had gone to water-only and... um.. smelled rather worse than they thought they did ;)

Edit - I loved this:
Quote from: sununderwood
(egg even came straight from the cloaca of hens where I'm farmsitting and living for free)
Obviously that's where all eggs come from originally, but I was very amused by the potential Fake Corporate Slogans. Sununderwood's Egg-Stravagant Hair Stuff - from the hen's cloaca to you! ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:45:43 PM by SoccerLounge »

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »
Way to go!

I've been almost six years now using only bar soap, 75% olive oil + 25% castor oil, toothpaste, floss, and thai deodorant stone. Shower is soap up, rinse off, apply light layer of oil mixture, turn the heat way up and rub it off with a hand towel. I am bald, so I can't profess as to the success of the oil on real hair, but I do know it left my huge beard silky smooth and clean.

Here's my view on the biggest key to success with all of this. Good in = good out.

When I cut the crappy food from my diet, my body odor disappeared. My job is VERY sweaty, I'm hairy as heck, and I never smell in the least. At the beginning I was rather paranoid about it, so I asked everyone I know about 50 times each. Nada.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
I went and found this thread to see when I originally read and responded to it. Soon after reading this I started washing my hair every other day instead of every day. According to this forum, that was around mid April, so a little over four months ago. While my hair has gotten less greasy on the second (no wash) day, there is no way around it: my hair is still kind of gross. The only way I can stand it is to have my hair up and back all day long so I don't see it or touch it. I always look forward to the day I wash my hair because it looks and feels so much nicer. Has anyone else had this experience? I feel like I have given it an honest try and am not convinced I like the results enough to stick with it.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:50 PM »
ysette9, I don't want to be one of those schmucks who says "you haven't had the reeeeeeaaallll experience"... but I will be!

In my case at least, my scalp and skin still stayed in over-reaction mode when I used shampoo and soap less often. I had to go to completely shampoo-free to get the benefits. I think in my case it took a little over a week before my skin was happy with the new way of doing things.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »
I went and found this thread to see when I originally read and responded to it. Soon after reading this I started washing my hair every other day instead of every day. According to this forum, that was around mid April, so a little over four months ago. While my hair has gotten less greasy on the second (no wash) day, there is no way around it: my hair is still kind of gross. The only way I can stand it is to have my hair up and back all day long so I don't see it or touch it. I always look forward to the day I wash my hair because it looks and feels so much nicer. Has anyone else had this experience? I feel like I have given it an honest try and am not convinced I like the results enough to stick with it.

Two tips that might be worth trying:

1. A baking soda wash and vinegar rinse once every week or so. Maybe what you think is grease is actually partly shampoo buildup.
2. Brush cornstarch or baby powder into your hair on the off-days.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
So I tried the no-shampoo thing for about 4 months, and I found:

- I liked how the bottom part of my hair looked, but the part near the scalp often looked stringy and/or greasy. (Previously, with shampoo, the scalp part looked nice but the bottom part got frizzy.)
- I sort of felt like my scalp made its own hair product, which felt a little greasy but helped my hair dry faster.
- My hair and scalp smelled like weak tea, which I didn't care for.
- I actually had to do more maintenance with the preening and scalp massage and stuff.
- Putting powder (cornstach + cocoa powder) in my hair gave me an extra day or two between showers, but did not affect the smell the way I expected.
- Over the 4 months, my hair got greasier faster, rather than mellowing out as I'd expected.

I'm now trying an online shampoo recipe that calls for equal parts liquid castille soap and coconut milk, shaken together vigorously. The soap is peppermint-scented, and now my hair smells nice, and it looks pretty good too, both scalp and locks.

I like the no-shampoo idea, but I personally did not like the scalpy smell. Interestingly, spouse thought it smelled fine.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »

Two tips that might be worth trying:

1. A baking soda wash and vinegar rinse once every week or so. Maybe what you think is grease is actually partly shampoo buildup.
2. Brush cornstarch or baby powder into your hair on the off-days.

Agreed on tip #1!! I've been experimenting the last couple of months. Basically it went like this:
1. For ~3 weeks I started consistently using a hippie shampoo I had bought months back, but never used because my hair never felt clean with it. This was my way of easing myself into not using shampoo at all. It was terrible and my hair was nasty. I almost always wear it up anyways, so I could control it, but ugh.
2. For ~2 weeks I stopped using shampoo altogether. Hair condition stayed about the same as when I was using the nasty shampoo. Was never bad bad, but not good. Got "thick" and "acted as one", as Ladystache in Baja described.
3. Gave in a tried a BS wash. Did not use vinegar, because I forgot to bring it upstairs :) OMG THIS WAS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD. I could nooooooot stop touching my hair that whole night and the whole next day!! It seriously felt so soft and clean and amazing. I was seriously transformed.
4. Lasted about 10 days without needing to do another wash! And actually 6-7 of those I was comfortable wearing it down. Before this whole experiment, it was able to be worn for 1 day down, 1-2 days up, then I HAD to wash.
5. Did another BS wash (about a week ago now). Similar happiness levels occurred. My hair feels fine today, and with a little brushing and smoothing out I would be perfectly comfortable wearing it down tomorrow.

So, general notes:
- the product build-up vs grease is no joke. my hair was awful between stopping shampoo and my first BS wash
- for years and years I had problems with itchy and flaky scalp, and I've literally had ZERO itches or flakes since stopping shampoo
- BAKING SODA IS AWESOME. On the days I use it to shower, I also use it as a sort of body rinse (mainly on underarms, feet, and unmentionable regions), used it as toothpaste, and used it on some of my hand laundry!

I don't see anything wrong with the occasional BS rinse fitting in with a no-product/no-shampoo routine. It is a simple, biodegradable, cheap product that gently cleanses without messing with your natural balance :)

For those who shower more often than you wash your hair, what is your routine? How often do you shower? Do you just kind of massage your scalp under the water for a while..? That's what I do.. but it seems kind of weird and not that helpful haha...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
I am having so much trouble with my water-only hair!!!!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the internets say that warm water will sort of melt the grease and dirt away. I am actively massaging under the water stream in sections but my hair just doesn't seem to get all that clean. It's passable when dry for a day and a half, max. I used to go 3 days before washing. My hands are covered in grease after massaging and no amount of warm water shifts it, I have to use soap so I'm not quite believing this dirt melts away thing - or am I missing something? I've been doing this a few weeks now. The first no-poo wash was with baking soda with vinegar rinse and I did get v clean hair but -

I have now got the worst flaky scalp! The last couple of washes I have squirted a 50/50 ACV solution onto my scalp and left it for 30mins because that is supposed to help with both dandruff and dry scalp. I also turned down the water heat a bit. I think the flakes are not quite as bad after these last two times but they are definitely at a higher than socially acceptable level.

I have fairly thick long hair so I'm thinking it might just be a bit hard to get through. My last ditch effort is going to be immersing my hair in a bucket of warm water to make sure I am really giving it all a chance. Maybe I should give up and buy a no-suphate shampoo? I was really keen to get to a point of washing once a week, that's the end goal. It makes things like van camping etc so much more practical.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
I am having so much trouble with my water-only hair!!!!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the internets say that warm water will sort of melt the grease and dirt away. I am actively massaging under the water stream in sections but my hair just doesn't seem to get all that clean. It's passable when dry for a day and a half, max. I used to go 3 days before washing. My hands are covered in grease after massaging and no amount of warm water shifts it, I have to use soap so I'm not quite believing this dirt melts away thing - or am I missing something? I've been doing this a few weeks now. The first no-poo wash was with baking soda with vinegar rinse and I did get v clean hair but -

I have now got the worst flaky scalp! The last couple of washes I have squirted a 50/50 ACV solution onto my scalp and left it for 30mins because that is supposed to help with both dandruff and dry scalp. I also turned down the water heat a bit. I think the flakes are not quite as bad after these last two times but they are definitely at a higher than socially acceptable level.

I have fairly thick long hair so I'm thinking it might just be a bit hard to get through. My last ditch effort is going to be immersing my hair in a bucket of warm water to make sure I am really giving it all a chance. Maybe I should give up and buy a no-suphate shampoo? I was really keen to get to a point of washing once a week, that's the end goal. It makes things like van camping etc so much more practical.

I have very thick, not very long hair, and similar issues with rinse-only feeling very gross. I don't think you're doing anything wrong there. Others have said the 'flaky' adjustment period lasts up to a month, so I would keep at it if you can manage. I personally would do one more baking soda wash then see again how long you can hold out with just the rinses. For me, the occasional bs wash is well worth it to have hair that actually feels/looks clean. Rinse-only has not been working for me, but I can go about 10 days so far between BS washes. Going to try to keep stretching that out until I can do a month between baking soda washes.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I have only read online that people have seen their dandruff miraculously disappear with this routine, so it's good to know it's normal. We keep on trying a bit longer.

hollyluja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
I've tried the baking soda/ACV route before and didn't really like the results. I currently shampoo every other day, sometimes stretched to 3 days. I think when I FIRE (in ~1 year) I will attempt water only. I love the thought of eliminating another product from my routine.

I did the baking soda/ACV thing for 10 months, but my long blonde hair was breaking all the time and felt straw-like.  I switched back to shampoo and conditioner, but I only wash once or twice per week.  I use baby powder for the occasional in-between greasies.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
And here's one more totally random tip for extending time between shampoos, for people who do prefer a nice shampoo wash:

Spend longer rubbing it in.

No, really, I know it sounds silly, but it really makes a difference, at least for me and my crappy shampoo. I've also been brushing it more (synthetic bristles, but I still think it helps) and between the two things, I'm just getting much better results.

But tonight is baking soda night and I'm looking forward to the extra clean feeling :-).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
All right, you crazy peeps. I just bought some baby powder and a boar bristle hair brush and I'll give this a try. Any tips on actually putting in the powder and brushing it out? Am I going to look like an old lady in the end? ;-)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
All right, you crazy peeps. I just bought some baby powder and a boar bristle hair brush and I'll give this a try. Any tips on actually putting in the powder and brushing it out? Am I going to look like an old lady in the end? ;-)

Use a make-up brush, a nice big one. It starts the process of blending the powder into your hair.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »
I didn't see your suggestion until after I had a go at it.
I just hung my head over the kitchen sink and proceeded with dumping baby powder on various parts of my scalp. I think I way overdid it because I did a lot of brushing and still have baby powder in my scalp. That said, my hair has crazy wild-woman volume. My husband said it was like the Sea Hag card in the card game Dominion, for those who know that reference. ;-)

I take it that tomorrow I should wear a shower cap and not get my hair wet after this?

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2016, 03:48:44 AM »
I'm a female with long hair. I use a medicated anti-fungal (ketoconazole) shampoo once every 3-4 weeks.  Once every week or two, I water wash my hair in the shower and massage my scalp with my fingers when doing that.  Otherwise I don't do anything.  I've been doing this a few years and it seems to need less and less washing as time goes on.  I don't brush it other than with my fingers.  I mostly wear it up so if I was going to wear it down I might water wash it more, but it's rare that I notice it's greasy at all.