Author Topic: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like  (Read 55938 times)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
Re: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
So when it came to washing my face I used to use all kinds of cleansers and toners, but I stopped as it was too hard to do with only one hand. My skin has never been clearer since I stopped using all of those products to keep my skin clear. So I am sold on the less is more effective.

I stopped using cleansers on my face a few years ago. I don't even remember why. I wash with water only and then use a very light moisturizer that I make myself. I don't think my face is any clearer (I've always had pretty clear skin), but it is definitely no worse.

I've tried the baking soda/ACV route before and didn't really like the results. I currently shampoo every other day, sometimes stretched to 3 days. I think when I FIRE (in ~1 year) I will attempt water only. I love the thought of eliminating another product from my routine.

How do you make the moisturizer?

I'll have to check the quantities when I get home, I've made it so often that I just eyeball the amounts. It includes Aloe juice (or gel), vegetable glycerin, jojoba oil, lavender oil, and tea tree oil (optional). I think that is it. I've used both Aloe gel and juice. The gel makes the texture a little more "normal" and keeps everything mixed better. But I generally use Aloe juice. It needs to be shaken every time it is used and is completely liquid, but in the summer I like the lightness of it and in the dry air of winter I put it in a spray bottle and mist my back.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »
awesome!!!

I have been pretty much no-poo since 2009? I use SLS free conditioner and I box dye my hair- it generally looks quite healthy and happy. I don't need to wash it every day- I do shower almost daily because of workouts/dance/sweat- but I try to only "wash" it 2-3 times a week. Every once in a while I'll tone it with apple cider vinegar when I feel like my scalp needs some extra umph- but otherwise- I haven't bought or used shampoo in years.

Very happy with my choice.

I also switched to a natural deodorant (toms I think) - i'm very against "antiperspirant" I"m a firm believer that you're body needs to sweat.

it honestly took a week or two for me to adjust to the scent and I think my body needed to sort that out- but now I'm quite happy with it and I don't find I smell the same or as bad when I sweat.

I need to figure out a better period/tampon option. I can't do a Diva cup- I have public bathroom at work- no way I could rinse in the bathroom. just not practical.

I've used a diva cup in a public bathroom, and it's not ideal. However, you don't have to rinse it every time. A lot of people use them while camping, so definitely limited rinsing ability. Also, you may be able to get away with not emptying it during the workday, depending on your flow. That's the beauty of the diva cup.  :)

herm- interesting- I feel like that would be something that needed to be monitored/changed. But I'm not particularly heavy- so I *MIGHT* be able to get away with it.

I've also had a little hang up on size- but only because- no one really knows what size is what- they say- these are great if you're smaller- but smaller than what? Like- points of reference are... weak at best LOL.

But I'd be really happy if I could be done with actual tampon products they are so wasteful.

You guys are weird =D
Why the diva cup thing or the shampoo thing?  Both of which are... lol- real issues.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
awesome!!!

I have been pretty much no-poo since 2009? I use SLS free conditioner and I box dye my hair- it generally looks quite healthy and happy. I don't need to wash it every day- I do shower almost daily because of workouts/dance/sweat- but I try to only "wash" it 2-3 times a week. Every once in a while I'll tone it with apple cider vinegar when I feel like my scalp needs some extra umph- but otherwise- I haven't bought or used shampoo in years.

I also switched to a natural deodorant (toms I think) - i'm very against "antiperspirant" I"m a firm believer that you're body needs to sweat.

it honestly took a week or two for me to adjust to the scent and I think my body needed to sort that out- but now I'm quite happy with it and I don't find I smell the same or as bad when I sweat.

I need to figure out a better period/tampon option. I can't do a Diva cup- I have public bathroom at work- no way I could rinse in the bathroom. just not practical.

I've used a diva cup in a public bathroom, and it's not ideal. However, you don't have to rinse it every time. A lot of people use them while camping, so definitely limited rinsing ability. Also, you may be able to get away with not emptying it during the workday, depending on your flow. That's the beauty of the diva cup.  :)

herm- interesting- I feel like that would be something that needed to be monitored/changed. But I'm not particularly heavy- so I *MIGHT* be able to get away with it.

I've also had a little hang up on size- but only because- no one really knows what size is what- they say- these are great if you're smaller- but smaller than what? Like- points of reference are... weak at best LOL.

But I'd be really happy if I could be done with actual tampon products they are so wasteful.

You guys are weird =D
Why the diva cup thing or the shampoo thing?  Both of which are... lol- real issues.

For the size issue, I remember seeing a pretty detailed chart regarding how to determine size. You would probably have to google menstrual cups, because I don't think it was a diva cup page that I saw it on. There are so many different types of cups, and some work better for some women based on their body type.

alpha888

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Sununderwood:  Are you really traveling the world indefinetly on $300?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
awesome!!!

Depending on why you're interested in the divacup, you could try rotating two and carrying a plastic bag.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2016, 06:19:35 AM »
So when it came to washing my face I used to use all kinds of cleansers and toners, but I stopped as it was too hard to do with only one hand. My skin has never been clearer since I stopped using all of those products to keep my skin clear. So I am sold on the less is more effective.

I stopped using cleansers on my face a few years ago. I don't even remember why. I wash with water only and then use a very light moisturizer that I make myself. I don't think my face is any clearer (I've always had pretty clear skin), but it is definitely no worse.

I've tried the baking soda/ACV route before and didn't really like the results. I currently shampoo every other day, sometimes stretched to 3 days. I think when I FIRE (in ~1 year) I will attempt water only. I love the thought of eliminating another product from my routine.

How do you make the moisturizer?

I'll have to check the quantities when I get home, I've made it so often that I just eyeball the amounts. It includes Aloe juice (or gel), vegetable glycerin, jojoba oil, lavender oil, and tea tree oil (optional). I think that is it. I've used both Aloe gel and juice. The gel makes the texture a little more "normal" and keeps everything mixed better. But I generally use Aloe juice. It needs to be shaken every time it is used and is completely liquid, but in the summer I like the lightness of it and in the dry air of winter I put it in a spray bottle and mist my back.

I wish I could remember the website I got this from to give credit, but I think I've been using this recipe for 6+ years.

2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
1/2 teaspoon glycerin
3 drops jojoba oil
6 drops lavender oil
1-2 drops tea tree oil

I don't use the tea tree oil most of the time and I probably add a little more of the other oils. I don't really think its done anything magical for my skin, but I like it and after the initial purchase of the oils it is super cheap. I've also found that when I have a cold and my nose gets all torn up from constant tissue use, I splash a little of this on the skin and then a layer of something thick like lanolin to lock it all in. That does work magic.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
I don't use the tea tree oil most of the time and I probably add a little more of the other oils. I don't really think its done anything magical for my skin, but I like it and after the initial purchase of the oils it is super cheap. I've also found that when I have a cold and my nose gets all torn up from constant tissue use, I splash a little of this on the skin and then a layer of something thick like lanolin to lock it all in. That does work magic.

I make homemade lotion bars with 5 parts olive oil to 3 parts beeswax, and when spouse or I have a cold, we rub a little sliver on our noses to keep the irritation down. It works wonders. Night and day.

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 02:34:19 AM »
On the diva cup topic, I normally go 12 hours without changing it the first two days, and 24 hours after that. I've even gone 36 a couple times when I've completely forgotten/have been camping. 36 hours, yeah, a little too much and gross. But I've never had a problem health-wise. I've been using a diva cup since I was 16.

The diva cup company recommendations are: maximum 10-12 hours, and buy a new one once a year (this is new, I swear it used to be 5 years!). I view those guidelines like I view expiration dates on food. To cover the company's asses and to encourage more consumption of their product. That being said, I meticulously boil mine before every usage and I never, ever insert or remove without washing my hands.

I'm on my second diva cup in 9-10 years. Again, no problems.

Anyway, even following those guidelines, 10-12 hours is more than enough to get you through a full day of work without changing it.

And yes alpha888, now that you've read about the silicon cup I insert in my vagina, the short version of my story is -- from ages 20-24 I increased my net worth by 50+k, with an income between $20-$30k a year -- 28k of it I paid off all my student loans. Now I have something like 10k saved, 13k in investments. Honestly I don't monitor my money that closely and I always have way more than I think, because I spend SO little.

I am 25 and I have been traveling for 10.5 months, 2500km by bicycle from Idaho to Washington then from Norway to Poland, after that some bus/hitchhiking/helpx nomadism in France, UK, and now in Georgia. I have spent less than $3k total mostly because I camped, couchsurfed, worked for free room and board, and knocked on people's doors to sleep in their gardens. I'm currently living in an apartment in Tbilisi spending less than $300 a month while still making some trips on the weekends and binge-working online ("binge-working" for me means 20-25 hours a week, I have to live after all) I have almost replenished all I've spent and it would be cool to max out my $5500 for IRA this year and cross $30k. I don't think I'll make it, but oh well. This summer I'll be doing another long bicycle tour (my bike is in France so France to somewhere else) and a long hitchhiking trip (Turkey to Poland). And then after that I dunno.

I know that I should be putting much more away for retirement but my heart of hearts wants to live life in this grand frugal majestic way and not work a job I hate supporting systems I hate for any amount of time. Especially because of all the problems in the world and the possibility that things can always change to be like they've ever been. Though I'm not going to be able to retire at 35 which was my goal when I first really started getting into MMM in 2013, my priorities have changed to spend my 20s chasing the things that make my heart sing, like public transport and bicycle planning/activism/education, literary translation, food waste, and kindness and empathy and communication among strangers across generation and identity. I'm young and maybe it makes me naive, but I really believe that those who put 100% of their energy into what they love tend to end up with everything falling into place. In any case, I'm prepared to give it a shot and accept the consequences. En fin, sorry to derail! :)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
I have fine stranded hair that is rather oily. Over the years I have tried all the methods to eliminate shampoo with no luck, my hair is still oily the second day. It's not diet, as I eat pretty healthy consistently.

I now wash my hair almost daily with a very light SLS free shampoo. I don't use conditioner, but do use a few sprays of leave in conditioner as my house is quite dry in the winter and I like to avoid static. I do skip days occasionally and just brush in a little cornstarch to compensate.

I have cut down on products massively. I pretty much only use shampoo and a little homemade soap in the shower (not on my face). I use a crystal stick for deodorant and other than a general handcream, I don't use any other special products. I also switched to the diva cup a few years ago. I do occasionally use coconut oil as well.

Completely changing up my toiletries has saved massive amounts of money. I never realized how many ridiculous products we are constantly bombarded with: body wash, conditioner, shaving cream, face masks, exfoliants, day creams, nights creams, Chapstick, nail creams etc... the list is endless.

I generally spend about $50 a year on all toiletries and think that's a wonderful price!!!!

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 04:21:33 AM »
I've been rinse only for several years. Here's some adjustments that worked for me:
- use a dry shampoo! You can spend money on the kind in a store (about five bucks a can at discount stores), or use corn starch as mentioned above. I dye my hair red and found the corn starch dulled and whitened my hair, so I found that cocoa powder worked just as well, and I smell like chocolate when I sweat! Dry shampoo is a concept hundreds of years old... Ever heard of wig powder? Yeah, same thing. It works by absorbing excess oils on your scalp, instead of chemically breaking them apart. Then just brush your hair, and you'll brush most of the powder out. As an added bonus, my super fine hair gets some nice body!
- if you dye your hair (box dye for 15+ years!), consider switching to henna. In just a few months, which is the time it took to cut off the chemically dyed hair, I've suddenly had the healthiest hair of my life. The difference is that there's no oxidizer in henna... That's the stuff they call 'developer', and its super basic on the pH scale, think more towards lye.

rulesofacquisition

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »
Has anyone with really curly hair successfully done this? I have cut back to using shampoo about once a week, and conditioner about 3 times a week, but I use a shea butter leave in conditioner or I have an afro. I don't brush or comb as it breaks up the spirals.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
Has anyone with really curly hair successfully done this? I have cut back to using shampoo about once a week, and conditioner about 3 times a week, but I use a shea butter leave in conditioner or I have an afro. I don't brush or comb as it breaks up the spirals.

Have you looked into co-washing? It's a conditioner only option. Depending on your curl structure, it can be a great way to go. It ended up being a little too heavy for my curl structure, but it certainly made my hair well behaved and very soft/smooth/shiny.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
So I have started on my journey. I washed my hair on Friday with baking soda and vinegar, then for Saturday and Sunday just rinsed it. It didn't get as oily as I had expected it would. I washed it this morning and will try to go the next 2 days without washing it. Hopefully at some point I can extend it out, my goal is for once a week.

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
Does the ROM (rinse only method) work with cold water. I have been trying an experiment in April of only taking cold showers and so far everyday has been a cold shower except for one or two.

It seems like a cold shower will either be worse or better. Better because the natural hair oils wouldn't get stripped out and worse because they might not get distributed down the hair as much.

I am interested in trying the ROM. Looks like I should start by reading a few blogs about it and then starting with a clean slate by using the baking soda and vinegar wash.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
Does the ROM (rinse only method) work with cold water. I have been trying an experiment in April of only taking cold showers and so far everyday has been a cold shower except for one or two.

It seems like a cold shower will either be worse or better. Better because the natural hair oils wouldn't get stripped out and worse because they might not get distributed down the hair as much.

I am interested in trying the ROM. Looks like I should start by reading a few blogs about it and then starting with a clean slate by using the baking soda and vinegar wash.

I think it will probably be worse.  I was on a shampoo once a week kick when I moved to Russia, and there was no hot water.  I had to go back to shampoo.  Maybe I could have stuck with it, but I think the oils need to be dissolved a bit to release dirt and gross stuff.

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
I also have fine oily hair and embarked on no shampoo this past January. I started off with the bs/acv routine, but thought it might be too damaging. I have resorted to using rye flour to "wash" though because my hair is just soooo greasy. Even with the rye flour washes I need to do that every other day for my hair to look decent. On middle days I wear my hair in a pony tail. It's really not much different than shampooing though in terms of how quick it gets oily. My question is does chlorinated/flourinated tap water make a difference? I notice when the chlorine smell is apparent, my hair feels waxier when I rinse. I'm thinking maybe a shower filter might help? I have hope because my face skin used to look super greasy too, but I stopped using any soaps and now hardly ever looks oily. I do a clay mask maybe once a week or so when my skin looks dirty, otherwise just water.

For deoderant I use coconut oil mixed with some arrowroot starch and a bit of baking soda. I apply every other day and it works great. Jealous of my DH that never has to wear deoderant (confirmed by a few people!) AND rinse only hair.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
I wish I could go without shampoo! I am the person that has tried the no-poo method (water only) and the baking soda/vinegar methods, and neither worked. I tried water only for much longer than a month. It might have been two months or three months. I have very thick, non curly hair that I like to keep chin length. My hair felt greasy all. the. time. Even after many many weeks of no shampoo.

When I did baking soda/vinegar, my dandruff acted up. I have seborrheic dermatitis so I use a dandruff shampoo part of the time and a moisturizing shampoo the rest of the time. And conditioner. What else can I try? I should mention I also did coconut oil to try to help the dandruff, but it didn't really help.

Other than that, I shower every other day (sometimes three days). Wash my hair every time I shower. Don't use soap except to shave and wash my face. I have rosacea so I can't not use soap for my face.

For deodorant, I never started. In high school, when everyone else was starting to use deodorant, I never did. No one said a thing. None of my friends, neither of my parents, not my sister, no one. So, I had no reason to start. Why waste money on something I don't need? I don't sweat very much, and I don't smell very much (or never had any complaints). I don't think everyone is the same in this regard, I just got lucky.

Any advice on what to try to get off the shampoo dependencies? My two main issues are dandruff/itchy scalp and that greasy feeling in my thick, thick hair.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
When I did baking soda/vinegar, my dandruff acted up. I have seborrheic dermatitis

I have/had that. It's probably the baking soda... SD gets way worse with anything alkaline. I do no-poo and occasional vinegar and that takes care of the SD.

I have no sure ideas for the greasy/oily thing, 'cause my hair's really short! Could you use baking soda only on the hair not touching the scalp? Then rinse everything with a vinegar/water mix?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »
For those considering the diva cup: I am not a hippy type and use all the regular bathroom products of your typical consumer sukka. I first heard about the menstrual cup concept on this board and decided that for $25 I could see how it went. I got the Lena cup size small.

This thing has changed my life. I put it in in the morning and either change it before bed or the next morning depending on how I feel. I read that you have to give it a cycle or two to get good at inserting/removing, so I was patient and consistent, and I will never ever go back. I was a little insecure about it at first, so I also bought one cloth panty liner on etsy to wear when using it outside the house (because I really really hate regular panty liners). It worked great but I didn't really need it.

Anyway sorry to derail, but I am a serious evangelist for the cup now...I love it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2016, 09:35:24 AM »

Any advice on what to try to get off the shampoo dependencies? My two main issues are dandruff/itchy scalp and that greasy feeling in my thick, thick hair.

I haven't tried it personally, but maybe homemade shampoo would be an option. There are recipes online.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
Are you from Vermont?

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »

I have curly hair but have not done it successfully. I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars now, every 3-4 days (one bar for everything in the shower; great for camping and traveling) and do a chamomile rinse with a smidgen of ACV once a week.

A note on the Diva cup: if you're an IUD lady, the suction can pull that sucker out, even though the suction is only slight. I know the Internet jury is out on this, but it happened to two friends (one of whom is a nurse and didn't believe it could happen), and my NP advised me not to use it with my IUD, so I don't. The two friends had new IUDs put in, did not use the Diva, and had no problems subsequently. We women are free to experiment and take our own risks, but I figured I'd mention it.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
I never use shampoo and only use a natural local made hand soap (occasionally) , I don't use cologne and rarely touch skin lotions. I do use a bit of deodorant though. My thought is that our body will balance it self out and if we use too much of something then it goes out of whack.

Rob Greenfield spoke well on the topic
http://robgreenfield.tv/hygiene/

Or as extreme as his year without showers (which just hit 2 yrs this april )
http://robgreenfield.tv/lessons-learned-year-without-showering/

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
I don't know about the no soap thing. I lived in New Orleans for awhile and there was a whole subset of people that did the whole ' so soap/no deodorant'  thing and they stunk. BAD... Like I had to get up and move chairs sitting beside them. They weren't dirty but they did stink horribly.

I remember talking to a friend about it that had several friends like that and her explaining the whole bodies natural smell thing. But... IMO... they really stunk.

Maybe it doesn't work for everyone?
Two of my loved ones have been on the natural no-soap thing for years.  Yes, they stink.  No, they can't understand why they are single.  They'll wax philosophically about being in tune with nature, oblivious to the fact that Mother Nature is the kind of mother who kills her young.  Soap isn't bad, but we don't need a lot of it.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:43 AM »
Also on water showers :)

Re the no- diva cup question, try cloth pads.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
Since I've been inspired by the OP's post, I've reduced soap use just to underarms and what I refer to as "the critical areas".  So far, so good.  I'm not brave enough to try washing my hair with water only because I'm still working part time but when I leave the work world completely (one year from now?), I will try that as well. 

One benefit of less soap use that I'm finding that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that I don't have to clean the shower as often because there is less soap scum. 

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2016, 07:55:38 AM »
I was intrigued by the "no-poo" idea (and, really? What a label!), especially after someone posted about not getting irritated sore spots on their scalp after stopping the shampoo.

I've tried water only for a couple of weeks, and here's what I'm seeing:
- No more sore spots on my scalp.
- Hair looks & smells fine; I'm rinsing it every few days. (In my youth, I had to wash it every other day, but as I've gotten older, I was washing every 3-4 days anyway.)
- Hair has more body.
- Scalp always feels clammy and greasy, unless I put some cornstarch & cocoa powder on it.
- The back of my head looks stringy, unless I put some cornstarch & cocoa powder on it.
- Boar-bristle brush doesn't do anything that I can see. The bristles are soft enough that they don't reach all the way down to the scalp.
- I *think* my hair dries faster now.

Basically, so far, so good, as long as I don't run out of cornstarch & cocoa powder. :) Those seem like necessities, even on the day I wash my hair.

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »

A note on the Diva cup: if you're an IUD lady, the suction can pull that sucker out, even though the suction is only slight. I know the Internet jury is out on this, but it happened to two friends (one of whom is a nurse and didn't believe it could happen), and my NP advised me not to use it with my IUD, so I don't. The two friends had new IUDs put in, did not use the Diva, and had no problems subsequently. We women are free to experiment and take our own risks, but I figured I'd mention it.
[/quote]

Yup, happened to me too. I ended up choosing the cup over the IUD though and use other BC methods

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »
 I found when I was swimming daily in a chlorinated pool that I didn't need to use deodorant. But after about 3 days of not swimming, I knew that I had better start using
deodorant again.
  If interested in changing your odor, try this experiment, after washing, rinse your armpits with isopropyl alcohol, after a couple of days stop the isopropyl alcohol. You may find that you got re-inoculated with different bacteria with a different odor.
 I'll stop before I suggest where to get a nice smelling bacteria :-)
 TMI, I once had a girlfriend that had an odor that, to use a 60's cliche, turned me on.
It's been 40 years, and I still remember it well.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2016, 05:02:05 AM »
Usually I have to wash every second day so I'm interested in this thread.

Part of my issue I think is that touch my hair a lot and my scalp too because it gets itchy so that just adds to the oils.

Every 3-4 months I henna my hair (to colour it) and I find that really good for it. It clears up my scalp and even though I henna over dirty hair and wash it out with only water, I don't need wash with shampoo for a week or so after.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

Yup, happened to me too. I ended up choosing the cup over the IUD though and use other BC methods
[/quote]

I was not using a cup when I had my IUD. But my Paragard partially expelled itself and I thought it was still in correctly. Now THAT was a wildly unpleasant debacle. I would advise STRONGLY against doing ANYTHING that might even theoretically make one's IUD loosen.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
Usually I have to wash every second day so I'm interested in this thread.

Part of my issue I think is that touch my hair a lot and my scalp too because it gets itchy so that just adds to the oils.

Every 3-4 months I henna my hair (to colour it) and I find that really good for it. It clears up my scalp and even though I henna over dirty hair and wash it out with only water, I don't need wash with shampoo for a week or so after.

@pancakes - FWIW, I find that putting powder on the greasy spots on my scalp helps reduce how often I have to wash it. My hair is brown, so I use a combo of cornstarch and cocoa powder. After I brush it through, that part of my hair no longer feels oily, and it stays feeling fine for several days.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
I haven't used soap in years, except for washing my hands after using the washroom or doing manual work on my bike or van in which case I use dishwashing liquid and a sprinkle of salt to remove grease. I am bald so the poo-or-no-poo debate is not an issue for me. Other than that, it is a brisk hot water shower daily, followed by a splash of ACV/water in my armpits then crystal deodorant. Despite working out daily, hiking regularly, and using my bike to go to work and back every day, my body smell is neutral, and my clothes are not smelling of body odour even after a day outdoors. If I did, my wife would be the first one to send me back for a good scrubbing. She's Japanese and like most Japanese, her sense of cleanliness is almost an obsession. I noticed every time I don't use ACV/water or my crystal deodorant, that I start stinking very quickly. As for my skin's health, I have no blemishes, scabs, acne, pimple or other skin condition whatsoever. To moisturize my face and hands, I follow my wife's daily routine every evening before bedtime by gently massaging my face with a bit of light avocado oil mixed with floral water (lavender, rose, etc.) or just plain water.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »
I haven't used soap in years, except for washing my hands after using the washroom or doing manual work on my bike or van in which case I use dishwashing liquid and a sprinkle of salt to remove grease. I am bald so the poo-or-no-poo debate is not an issue for me. Other than that, it is a brisk hot water shower daily, followed by a splash of ACV/water in my armpits then crystal deodorant. Despite working out daily, hiking regularly, and using my bike to go to work and back every day, my body smell is neutral, and my clothes are not smelling of body odour even after a day outdoors. If I did, my wife would be the first one to send me back for a good scrubbing. She's Japanese and like most Japanese, her sense of cleanliness is almost an obsession. I noticed every time I don't use ACV/water or my crystal deodorant, that I start stinking very quickly. As for my skin's health, I have no blemishes, scabs, acne, pimple or other skin condition whatsoever. To moisturize my face and hands, I follow my wife's daily routine every evening before bedtime by gently massaging my face with a bit of light avocado oil mixed with floral water (lavender, rose, etc.) or just plain water.

I need to go back to the armpit ACV. Least body odor I have ever had, by far. It was also a life saver when I was on a medication that made me smell... how should I put this... yeah, basically like rotting fish. Truly god awful. (PS- no medication is worth that, I swear. No no no no.)

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:23 AM »
You inspired me!

I am about 2 weeks of no shampoo. I think my hair actually looks better. My hair is short and very thick and it looked a little oily in week 1 (actually, it just looked like I had put hair product in, like I always used to do - another product ditched!). I just got my hair cut and it looks fresh and clean.

My wife hasn't noticed either. She has a keen nose and would be sure to point out if it smelled! I think I might tell her in about a month to surprise her!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »
You inspired me!

I am about 2 weeks of no shampoo. I think my hair actually looks better. My hair is short and very thick and it looked a little oily in week 1 (actually, it just looked like I had put hair product in, like I always used to do - another product ditched!). I just got my hair cut and it looks fresh and clean.

My wife hasn't noticed either. She has a keen nose and would be sure to point out if it smelled! I think I might tell her in about a month to surprise her!
I was inspired as well! I've been using shampoo sparingly for about a month now. If I get really dirty or sweaty I'll use it but it's been less than once a week. It definitely changes the texture of your hair. Naturally, it's more oily but I wouldn't say it's nasty. Its a healthy level of oil you would expect.

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
This is great, thank you very much for sharing sununderwood! I went to SLS free shampoo a while ago but it had never occurred to me that I might scrap the shampoo idea entirely.

It's amazing how well things can go when we just let them alone. I'm reminded of the book "Sowing Seeds in the Desert" and the natural farming movement - the planet already creates what we need, but when we disrupt we are then forced to continually invent things to fix the side-effects of our disruptions. It's a different scale, but I can totally understand a similar philosophy applying to the human body.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »
Re: curly hair.  I have fine, fluffy curly hair and I do the conditioner-only routine, usually just on the ends, and then do a non-silicone curl-enhancer product on wet hair before air-drying.  I can't brush out the scalp oils through my hair the way folks with straight hair can, and if I don't rinse my hair every day and de-tangle, I get dreadlocks. :~  If I'm going on a camping/sailing trip where I won't be able to detangle ever 2-3 days, I get it cut really short.  Otherwise I just have to get all the knots cut out when I get back anyway!

Thanks for the tips about ACV armpits!  We make our own soap and I wash just the important bits.  Making your own soap is super-easy and cheap, btw.  DH has more of the oily/dandruff/itchy scalp, but he uses a medicated shampoo once every few weeks if it gets bad, and otherwise just uses our soap over his whole body (including scalp) after working in the trades all day and calls it good.  As a side-tip, he's found that he shaves without shaving cream, straight out of the shower, with a little rubbing alcohol in the water and that works very well...

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »
Inspired by this thread I haven't given up shampoo but I've cut back to a pea sized amount compared to the rather large amount I was using in the past (to wash my almost waist length hair). I'm finding myself about to go 3-4 days between washes compared to 1-2 days before so an improvement for certain. My head is also less itchy which in turn means I touch it less which I think also helps reduce the amount of oil.

Thanks!

I'm a sweaty person and the best thing I've found is 20% aluminium chloride hexahydrate deodorant. It itches like crazy when I apply it but I only need to do so once or twice a year at most and it stops sweat and smell completely. When I was younger I would sweat a lot and get anxious about the smell or wet patches and then sweat more. While I wouldn't recommend it unless sweat/smell is causing issues in someone's life, it was probably the best thing I could have done for my confidence and anxiety.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »

I was not using a cup when I had my IUD. But my Paragard partially expelled itself and I thought it was still in correctly. Now THAT was a wildly unpleasant debacle. I would advise STRONGLY against doing ANYTHING that might even theoretically make one's IUD loosen.
[/quote]

And this is why as a cup user, I went with nexplanon (implant) over the IUD.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Inspired by this thread I haven't given up shampoo but I've cut back to a pea sized amount compared to the rather large amount I was using in the past (to wash my almost waist length hair). I'm finding myself about to go 3-4 days between washes compared to 1-2 days before so an improvement for certain. My head is also less itchy which in turn means I touch it less which I think also helps reduce the amount of oil.

Pancakes, that's an awesome result!  I do think that testing and adapting to your own body chemistry is really important, as is adapting to social norms in order to maintain relationships, workplace harmony, etc.  I think sometimes people get a bit black and white about chemical products, when really, some of them are very valuable and can be used sparingly to great effect.  Although I'm firmly in the no-poo and no-toxic-cleaners and no antimicrobials camp, I have had no luck with natural toothpastes or deodorants and am back on to mainstream brands with those.  Everyone is going to be different.  The good thing is to make our choices consciously, not just based on advertising and habit! :)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
... I do think that testing and adapting to your own body chemistry is really important, as is adapting to social norms in order to maintain relationships, workplace harmony, etc.  I think sometimes people get a bit black and white about chemical products, when really, some of them are very valuable and can be used sparingly to great effect.  Although I'm firmly in the no-poo and no-toxic-cleaners and no antimicrobials camp, I have had no luck with natural toothpastes or deodorants and am back on to mainstream brands with those.  Everyone is going to be different.  The good thing is to make our choices consciously, not just based on advertising and habit! :)

Yes. This.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »
those who say "i don't use deodorant and don't stink anymore", might want to get a second opinion from someone unbiased :).   This is the only downside to visiting France haha.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 12:25:59 AM »
A couple of tips to make things go smoother - shave your armpits, especially if you are a guy.  The reason guys stink more than girls is because girls shave their armpits, and it's the hair that the stinkiness sticks to.

For scalp, I bring a big square flat hair brush into the shower with me and vigorously rub my scalp with the bristles under hot water.  That seems to work much better at keeping the scalp itself clean versus just using my fingers to rub it. 

Last, when you are in the shower, use a loofah or washcloth and scrub your skin vigorously.  Exfoliation makes a huge improvement versus just rinsing and rubbing with your hands. 

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
A couple of tips to make things go smoother - shave your armpits, especially if you are a guy.  The reason guys stink more than girls is because girls shave their armpits, and it's the hair that the stinkiness sticks to.

As a woman who used to not shave her armpits and now do, I can attest to the hair holding the stinkiness. I've been on a bs/acv habit for the last several years. Once in a while, I use regular shampoo because I'm travelling and it's nice, but I get basically the same results with baking soda. I only use ACV every few weeks.

As a cup user, I also went with the implant because of the suction issue!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
 Good to know about going most of the day for the DIVA cup (or like products) I have no BC method at this point so thats' a none issue for me.

I did invest in THINX- and quite frankly- those things are amazing. I wasn't really sold on "cloth pads" because I typically hate the way a pad feels- but I found myself going through panty liners quickly b/c I"m fairly light- and I liked the added protection.

I got them on like the last day of my last period- and I went ahead and used both of them (separate days) to verify that they fit and were comfortable.  Opted to "return" the one pair as it's part of the return policy- and they said "give them to a friend on us- we'll give you a gift card and you can exchange for what you want"

which just made me laugh- like " here friend- have my once used period underwear"

it's just. Extra.

But never the less- I opted to NOT give them away and just make them work (the leg binding felt a little tighter than I would prefer- so not a huge deal breaker- but whatever it's on them if they weren't going to take them back).

But- anyway- I like them- I'm not heavy- I never use anything more than a regular tampon- and I can get buy with 2-3 pairs of these- and feel pretty confident- I have some long days- and my heaviest day started to look questionable- but I made it comfortably and with no "incidents' I'm pleased- money well spent- and now I can save money by not purchasing tampons and adding to landfills.
WIN-WIN.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
those who say "i don't use deodorant and don't stink anymore", might want to get a second opinion from someone unbiased :).   This is the only downside to visiting France haha.

My sister told me she had stopped wearing deodorant and asked, when she was visiting me, to tell her if I noticed anything. Never did. Even when we did outdoor activities. (I mean, we weren't jogging or anything, but it was sunny.)

Counting_Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
Thanks to this post, I am also now ~shampoo free.  Here is my story to prove that you office workers can do this too:
  • I am a female, mid-20's, work in a professional office environment.  Its a conservative industry/place.
  • I dye my fine, straight, 4" longer than shoulder hair with henna, and religiously use homemade dry shampoo the evening of the "wash" (arrowroot powder + cocoa powder - coincidentally I use arrowroot powder as a mattifying face powder also).  I can go about a week between ROM washing's if I'm sure to get dry shampoo on there before I go to bed that first night, if I forget > game over.
  • I continue to style my hair.  With no product my hair is limp, I've always loved the volume at the roots look and continue to use root spray + mousse + hairdryer. I style day of, wear my hair down 3 days, half up or all the way up for the rest of the time before the next wash.  I do work my wash/style schedule around workouts trying to fit them in on hair up days (at least not the first).  I don't find I need to reapply dry shampoo - just the one time the first night.  Hairspray helps too, and I use a little daily for volume.

I decided to try this after a weekend at the beach where I wasn't washing my hair, just getting in the ocean.  I had no oil-armageddon transition period because I was already only washing my hair ever 4-5 days with the help of dry shampoo.  I did notice after washing with shampoo my scalp would be itchy for the first day and adjust until the next wash where the cycle would repeat.  This has eliminated with ROM.  Mind you, I'm not anti-shampoo just very pro-efficient (money and time)/feels better/looks same or better.  For those of you who are wondering if I'll see buildup since I'm still using styling products: haven't yet (since April 25th), if I do I'll wash with shampoo once to re-set.  I still use soap for body wash - not much success eliminating soap for me there.

My fine hair has never had so much volume, and it looks especially killer on the first day after the style.  It honestly looks like my hair volume has doubled and it doesn't fall flat. Coworkers have complimented.  There you have it - it might work for you too.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
Update: I've been looking at using a long-handled brush for my no-soap washing instead of a washcloth, and I saw a nice one while in Kyoto and bought it. Oh man, my skin feels good after using it. I assume it's increasing blood flow. It's also nice when my scalp is itchy. Plus, I can travel with it easily, because it dries much faster than a washcloth. Plus plus, I can reach the small of my back!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:07 PM »
I find myself obsessed with the idea of trying this. I don't mind doing BS/V occasionally and love the super-squeaky clean feeling, but it's so harsh I don't want to do it every day. Hate the chemicals in "regular" shampoo but have not found a natural one that doesn't make my hair seem really greasy afterwards.

So, my questions:

1. Has anyone used baby powder to reduce the greasiness during the adjustment period? Is that "allowed"?
2. Will I like, never be able to wash with shampoo again? I get my hair cut at the salon* and you know how they like to shampoo it.

*Don't judge! I have CRAZY fine hair that only looks good IME with a professional blunt cut. I try to stretch it out a few months in betwee.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!