Author Topic: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like  (Read 55944 times)

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
About six years ago I tried the baking soda/vinegar no poo thing and didn't get nearly the softness that just water (and scrubbing and brushing) has resulted here. The first two months were rough, no doubt, but I was doing a two month long 2000km bicycle tour at the time, so it was the perfect opportunity to transition.

I don't use any soap (also 8 months), or deodorant (5 years), and I shower with just water every other day. I swear that I smell much better for much longer than when I did use soap. It is confirmed by multiple outside sources that I have a very light, very neutral body odor that is not unpleasant -- feet and armpits and all. lol.

Just posting this because alternatives are usually suggested for frugal and natural hygiene ... but the most frugal and natural thing of all is going completely without. It's actually hard to find a lot of info about it, but I'm here to tell you in the non-smelly flesh that it's possible! There's nothing like the feeling of entering a shower and requiring nothing but water to leave feeling completely clean.

The second photo is a photo of everything I own in bathroom land :) I think I spend less than $15 a year on toiletries, makeup, period, etc. I'm a 25 year old woman.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Here is what 8 months of no shampoo, just water looks like
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:12:39 AM »
I'm not sure I could get away with that. I love the Diva cup bag in the background. :)

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 06:18:30 AM »
I like it! And kudos to you for remembering floss :)

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:13 AM »
So to clarify, you don't do the baking soda/vinegar thing anymore? I found that would work for me for a few months and then not really so much anymore. What is it exactly that you do now? Just water? How do you scrub (fingers? brush?). Just curious--I am not happy with shampoo!

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: currently Tbilisi, Georgia -- indefinitely traveling around the world on < $300 a month
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:38 AM »
Yep exactly Duchess. I had the same experience with baking soda and vinegar a few years back. It worked okay but not to the "I can do this forever" level I wanted, and my hair was not as soft as it is now.

This time I cold turkey stopped using shampoo and used just water. All I do is scrub my scalp in the shower with my fingers and now I use a comb after (which I realized is not in the photo - the comb is a new addition now my hair is growing back out). That's really it! Nothing else to it. I'll never go back.

I have very fine hair which is notorious for being difficult for no-poo. I found the results of using just water to be different and much better than using banking soda and vinegar.

If I were to change anything I did, I would have brushed my hair at the beginning. I had really long hair when I started and I stopped brushing it to experiment with that too (again, worked on a dairy and then did a 2 month long bike tour so no one cared). I went 6 weeks without brushing it and I think if I didn't do that it would have reduced my two month adjustment period, or at least made it easier -- it's supposed to help "smooth out the oils" that your scalp will overproduce while adjusting.

That said, I swear to god after 6 weeks of no brushing, my hair detangled itself even when I would stick my head out of a car window, which I did because I was so incredulous that I had NO TANGLES EVER. The human body is so amazing, but I'm cool with using my comb now :)

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:00:38 AM »
and floss is non-negotiable! :)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Cool!  I stopped using shampoo a few years ago.  I wash my hair now with regular soap (Dove) every couple weeks or so, otherwise, just water.  And I'm amazed at how much healthier my hair looks and feels.  Used to be so dry and limp, now healthier looking and fuller.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »
I hear you on the floss.

Would you have tried this if you were not on a bike tour? Will my coworkers shun me? Was the adjustment period that bad, in other words?

I also have read that the baking soda technique can make your hair fall out, and when I thought about it, it did seem like I was loosing more hair when I tried it. Kind of scary.

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 08:39:06 AM »
Oh wow. I'd never heard that about baking soda. Scary!!

Yes, I would have tried it still. It's hard for me in my case to say what was from no shampoo and what was from sleeping in a tent and not showering and bicycling 50 miles a day. But I think with ponytails, hats, headbands, and the fact that no one is nearly as self-conscious or observant about my appearance than me, it would have been more than doable! In my case, there was never an unpleasant smell or anything like that -- it just looked and felt greasy, the equivalent of not shampooing for 3-4 days in my previous life.

I just discovered there is the term "rinse-only method" (ROM) about the practice - you can google for some stories and pictures from others, as well as more on the "preening" process about how to best move the oils throughout your hair. I didn't do NEARLY the amount of work these folks do, so taking their advice would probably be another way to speed up and/or make nicer the process.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
Wow, I am surprised and impressed. I have very fine hair and at the urging of my mother (or her hair stylist, can't remember), I tried shampooing every 2 days instead of each day. I would rub my scalp vigorously with my fingertips instead in the shower. I gave up after a few weeks though because I got sick of feeling clean one day and feeling dirty and gross the next. With my fine hair just a touch of grease makes my hair go completely limp. On backpacking trips I have to do a french braid to keep my hair completely away from my face and neck or otherwise it drives me up the wall.

How long did the transition take you?

luciep

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
Congratulations and thanks for posting the picture of your hair!

I see in the picture that you are using toothpaste. You could also go without it. I read a lot of articles that were mentioning that toothpaste doesn't do anything, it's the act of brushing alone that does all the work.

I have made my own toothpaste for many years now and my dentist confirms that my teeth are in as good shape as the people that do use the store toothpaste. But I bet you could probably go with just water if you have a decent breath.

The recipe: 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, a few drops of peppermint oil and lemon oil.

Fred2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »
so i have a vietnamese friend that doesn't sweat and stink (no deodorant)

I am just your average white boy, but I smell horrendous if I don't use deodorant...and can't imagine not using soap (balding so no shampoo)

So what gives?  Do you go a month without deodorant and suddenly your sweat doesn't stink ...is it completely individual (I've smelled other people who stink WAY worse than myself)

This is going to sound extreme, but I used to turn white shirts yellow in the armpits, so now I wear black underarmor dress undershirts just to protect my outer shirts if they are not dark colored...

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
so i have a vietnamese friend that doesn't sweat and stink (no deodorant)

I am just your average white boy, but I smell horrendous if I don't use deodorant...and can't imagine not using soap (balding so no shampoo)

So what gives?  Do you go a month without deodorant and suddenly your sweat doesn't stink ...is it completely individual (I've smelled other people who stink WAY worse than myself)

This is going to sound extreme, but I used to turn white shirts yellow in the armpits, so now I wear black underarmor dress undershirts just to protect my outer shirts if they are not dark colored...

Two theories that could be totally wrong:

1) The bacteria is what makes you smell. Putting on deodorant\antiperspirant every day probably changes the environment for the bacteria there leading to a proliferation of bacteria that you may not have if you don't use DO.

2) I think the yellowing of white shirts is due to the antiperspirant as much as due to sweat. I switched to Tom's of Maine deodorant and don't have issues with yellowing anymore. YMMV, obviously.

funcomesfirst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Than you for sharing.  I'm going to start working from home in June & I've been thinking about giving up shampoo to see how it goes.  Also, thanks for the tip to google Rinse Only Method - will definitely make a note to do that!

Also - the no tangle thing caught my attention.  My 4yr daughter gets the WORST rats nests so I wonder what giving up the hair routine at bath time would do for her.  We use Dr Bronner's soap for shampoo and some "natural" conditioner I found on amazon.  I hate using it, but she cannot handle the pain of us brushing her hair without conditioner.  It's terrible. :(

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Interesting, especially with not using soap for your skin as well! I haven't tried that, but if I did, I think I would be okay in regards to scent, too - I got lucky with my body chemistry in that regard. But from a health/hygiene point of view - I can't imagine going to the toilet, washing with only water, and then preparing food afterwards. How do you ensure your safety here? One of my worst episodes of getting sick was when I used a public toilet in China, where soap was not available (pretty common scenario there) so I just washed with water from the tap, an upon emerging from the toilet, before I could use the hand sanitizer I brought with me for precisely for such a situation, a travel companion gave me a mandarin, and without thinking I peeled it and ate it. Oh, how I suffered afterwards... :(

Miskatonic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
I've been no-poo for two years, washing my hair with baking soda about once a week. I might give the water only method a shot.

So basically, I need a board bristle brush (where do I get one of those?) and I brush my hair before showering? Then massage my scalp under the running water for a few minutes...and that's it? Will this work for a dude with super thick, shoulder length hair?

forestj

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »
Yeah no shampoo is the way to go ( at least for people with hair like mine, it looks like your hair is very similar to what I have )

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the post! I have thin, fine hair which is super oily. Over the last year or so, I have been working on washing my every other day instead of every day. I was in a greasy trap, where if I didn't wash my hair that day it would be oily and gross in the morning. Now on the second day of no wash, it only looks a bit oily.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
I shower with a bar of dove soap. I only use it on my hair once every 3 days or so. I've found if I go water only, I get a few small pimples here and there.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
Wow, I am surprised and impressed. I have very fine hair and at the urging of my mother (or her hair stylist, can't remember), I tried shampooing every 2 days instead of each day. I would rub my scalp vigorously with my fingertips instead in the shower. I gave up after a few weeks though because I got sick of feeling clean one day and feeling dirty and gross the next. With my fine hair just a touch of grease makes my hair go completely limp. On backpacking trips I have to do a french braid to keep my hair completely away from my face and neck or otherwise it drives me up the wall.

I went from washing my hair everyday to now only once or twice a week (depending on exercise levels, environment (where I work in summer it gets up to 50 degrees celsius) so how much I sweat) and my hair feels a lot healthier now, and is less greasy. I gradually extended the days between washes and now it only starts to feel oily and limp by around day 5 to 7. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »

Washing every day is the pits! I used to feel the same way, that it would get super-dirty. Then I started doing baking soda and vinegar. It's harsh enough that now I don't do it all the time, but it made me realize that a lot of what I thought was grease was actually shampoo build-up. If my hair is getting a little dirty after being washed with shampoo, it's a whole different kind of limp and gross than when it's getting a little dirty after baking soda and vinegar. So now I usually alternate between those two, and that might work for you.

Also, if my hair seems a little greasy, I brush it with cornstarch baby powder, a surprisingly effective trick that I learned from my mother but have also seen in mainstream beauty writing.

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only person around here who does this!

I stumbled across a post on another forum years ago and the poster made a case for not using any soap or shampoo and how it actually causes a majority of the problems those things are trying to prevent because they interrupt how the body is naturally trying to balance itself. I did some research and jumped in. For the past few years I have used no soap or shampoo when showering, just a washcloth to make sure I get a good scrubbing in the shower.

The first few weeks were pretty bad, my hair and skin became really oily, but after another couple of weeks everything seemed to balance out. I find my skin is softer than it ever has been. I have multiple people comment on how good I smell. I also find that my sweat smells less, but if I do go a couple of days I start to smell like any normal male would. I remember people would always comment it worked because I had short hair and if they did that with their long hair that it would become too oily. About a year ago I started growing my hair out and it's down to my shoulders now, still no issues. Plus it's pretty damage free as I don't put anything in it.

I do still use deodorant, but I use the kind with the least harmful ingredients possible. I tried going without, but I find that halfway through the day I would have a noticeable smell if I did any kind of physical activity. However, I will say it is a much more subdued odor compared to what it used to be.

To address the question of the poster above about using the bathroom. I use soap whenever fecal matter is involved, but otherwise was my hands with with a vigorous rubbing and water. The mechanical action of rubbing with water is actually what removes almost all of the dirt/bacteria off your hands anyways. I also use soap when working on things in the garage  and need to remove grease, paint, etc. I do avoid the use of antibacterial soap whenever possible, but that's a bit of a different thread.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:57:20 AM by CATman »

CLB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
I've been no-poo for about three years now. Just water and using my fingers to scrub my scalp. I have curly hair, though I keep it short. I've also found that water alone does a really good job of cleaning off my body, so I don't use soap very often (plus, some soaps, and hot water too, causes flare ups in my eczema). Water itself is actually a pretty good deodorant.

I also gave up anti-persp/deodorant about two years ago, though I still use hand sanitizer, which I guess is technically a deodorant. I can go a couple of days in the winter without using anything, but in the summer (or heavy sweating days) I use it daily.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
I thought I was the only one :-)

Started with baking soda about 7 years ago, found it was too harsh for my hair and switched to water only, didn't even know this was a thing then! I water-wash my hair once or twice a week. I do find it stays wet longer though. I am never going back to shampoo. As soon as I use shampoo, my scalp gets itchy and I develop tiny crusts that itch even more (yuk...). My hair looks lovely and is shiny with hardly any dead ends (it is quite long, over bra-stap length).

I also do not use shower gel or soap, once every couple of weeks I use herbal bath oil, otherwise just water. I find that whatever I use, whether it is claimed to be without soap, hydrating etc my skin just goes all taut and dry, very uncomfortable.

I do use deodorant but find that when on holiday (hiking) the sweaty smell just disappears after a couple of days getting using no deodorant. But somehow I do not dare to risk that in a work environment (for all I know I stink like a bison but don't notice it anymore!)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
As soon as I use shampoo, my scalp gets itchy and I develop tiny crusts that itch even more (yuk...).

Okay, I have to admit that I've been skeptical that this thread could apply to me -- but I also get itchy scalp with tiny crusts. I've been swapping shampoos now and then to try to vary the ingredients, but you've got me thinking about trying the water-only thing myself.

How long does it take your hair to adjust to no shampoo and thus stop overproducing oil? I'm a little worried about going to work during the transition phase.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 05:39:44 AM »
I've been no-soap no-shampoo for about four years now (or is it five? I've lost track), and bathe every second day unless I'm really exercising. I do need to rinse my scalp with a weak vinegar solution every couple of weeks, because otherwise my seborrhea acts up. But generally, I'm much less stinky than before, I save money, I'm less itchy, my skin feels better/softer, and travel/camping is easier. I scrub my skin a little more with a washcloth than I did before (I think I used to think that applying soap and then rinsing it off was enough!). I've read online where some people use long-handled brushes and swear by them, but I haven't tried that yet.

Everybody who says "If I don't use soap/deodorant/shampoo for a day, I get stinky or greasy": Yes, for sure. Your body is in defence mode all the time, producing all kinds of crap in reaction to all the crap you're putting on it. It takes a week or two to level out, longer if you've really been dousing yourself with stuff. It's good to start off during a camping or biking trip, or some other time when you don't have to be immaculate for other people.

sununderwood

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
If anyone else on this train and posting these awesome responses here would like to post a photo, I for one think that nothing but good can come from increasing the evidence base that less is more :)

I agree that the reason folks stink when you go without deodorant/soap for a day is exactly the same reason why your hair gets greasy when you don't shampoo for a day. I'll even go out on a limb and suggest that a lot of (but not all) smelly people actually are very self-conscious about being smelly and thus use more de-smellifying products which makes their smelliness worse, ad infinitum.

And for those afraid of trying it because of not knowing what the adjustment period will be like... no amount of testimonials will be able to confirm what it's going to be like for you and your body until you try! Absolute worst case and the transition is too unbearable so you have to give up: you start using shampoo or soap again.

A general guideline though might be that the transition will take 10 days to 2 months, with the average being between 2 weeks and a month. Is spending maximum .002% of the average life span being a little greasy worth the freedom from shower products for the rest of a lifetime? It's like the shower version of The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:00:21 AM by sununderwood »

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
I have been rinse only on my hair for almost a year - the transition took less than a month for me as I was already tampering shampoo and used ACV for conditioner going back a few years.  I find that I have to let my hair dry down rather than putting it up wet for a less waxy look. Its not visibly greasy, but my hair oil keeps hair in place. Through traveling I have found water quality changes affect hair movement.  My boar brush removes minerals rather than hair grease ... but it does help beyond just a brush. No magical detangling for me (fine hair, but lots of it), but it does brush easier.

Soap I do use - I know who makes it and what ingredients he uses. If I haven't showered in a few days I will wash my hands a few times in the shower, scrubbing my hair after rinsing each time to remove more oil. I don't know of that counts as using soap on my hair, but I have found it helpful.

I use the crystal deodorant and love it. There is a metal screw in my shoulder that messed up my sweat smell, so I will likely always need something.

It is great to only need a few items in the bathroom :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 10:27:01 AM »
Definitely posting to follow. I reduced my washing more and more, and it has made my hair better and better, but I haven't given it up entirely. I did co-washing for a while, but found that made my hair too heavy, so now I just do a light natural shampoo twice per week. Just use soap on select body parts.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
I have a question for soap-free folks about shaving (pits and legs, female).  My hair is thick, heavy and curly.  I wait for appreciable growth before shaving.  Shaving with water only results in little hairs sticking everywhere, and it takes forever to wash them away using only a cloth and water.  The cloth seems to just spread and migrate them, not dislodging them.

Is anybody else having this happen? How can I make this work better?

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 02:46:32 PM »
I have a question for soap-free folks about shaving (pits and legs, female).  My hair is thick, heavy and curly.  I wait for appreciable growth before shaving.  Shaving with water only results in little hairs sticking everywhere, and it takes forever to wash them away using only a cloth and water.  The cloth seems to just spread and migrate them, not dislodging them.

I am not now, now have ever been a woman, but here's my .02. Even though I don't use any soap I would still use shaving "soap" and a boar bristle brush when I did shave. I also used a double edge safety razor. I don't know how that would interact with your legs, but my face has always been pretty sensitive and the sensitive skin cream soap I used never seemed to bother it. It lubricates the skin enough that you get an excellent shave, but your mileage may vary.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »

I am not now, now have ever been a woman, but here's my .02. Even though I don't use any soap I would still use shaving "soap" and a boar bristle brush when I did shave. I also used a double edge safety razor. I don't know how that would interact with your legs, but my face has always been pretty sensitive and the sensitive skin cream soap I used never seemed to bother it. It lubricates the skin enough that you get an excellent shave, but your mileage may vary.
Thank you CATman
I do use a DE razor, which is wonderful on my legs (and armpits), even without soap.  It's the dang little hairs that refuse to wash away without copious amounts of water (or soap) that seem to be the issue.  I typically try to stick with military showers, but shaving days use at least another two minutes.  This might just be a mustachian lady problem, using an extra two minutes of water?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
Thanks for the post! I have thin, fine hair which is super oily. Over the last year or so, I have been working on washing my every other day instead of every day. I was in a greasy trap, where if I didn't wash my hair that day it would be oily and gross in the morning. Now on the second day of no wash, it only looks a bit oily.

Yeah, same here. Every other day seems to be pretty good.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »

Shave in the shower? That's what I do.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 05:55:33 PM »
I'm trying the no-shampoo thing. Have washed with water twice now, the second time with a little honey added in.

My hair feels really waxy, like it has tons of styling product on it. But it looks fine, so far, and I'm not getting a "scalpy" smell, at least not yet. Fingers crossed.

Interesting thread. This forum does generate and pass around some cool ideas to experiment with. Thanks for starting it, OP.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »
I'm trying the no-shampoo thing. Have washed with water twice now, the second time with a little honey added in.

My hair feels really waxy, like it has tons of styling product on it. But it looks fine, so far, and I'm not getting a "scalpy" smell, at least not yet. Fingers crossed.

Interesting thread. This forum does generate and pass around some cool ideas to experiment with. Thanks for starting it, OP.

Waxy can be silicone build up. If your past conditioner or styling products had silicone compounds, you'll need a clarifying shampoo to strip them off your hair.

For an incredibly hipster rundown: http://www.xovain.com/hair/no-shampoo-or-silicones-for-a-month

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »

Waxy can be silicone build up. If your past conditioner or styling products had silicone compounds, you'll need a clarifying shampoo to strip them off your hair.

For an incredibly hipster rundown: http://www.xovain.com/hair/no-shampoo-or-silicones-for-a-month

That's probably what it is. I used to have some kind of harsh clarifying shampoo, but I'll try out some of the natural baking-soda recipes first.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
What an interesting thread! I'm supposed to be starting a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in July so I'll be out in the woods for 5 months. I've heard of people not using shampoo before but I think I've read enough here to give going completely soap free a shot. It totally makes sense to me that your body would immediately become oily after ceasing the use of soap because it's so used to having to replace the oils that are striped away daily with the soap. Given that skin is the largest organ in your body I can imagine how the constant application of chemicals can foul up all kinds of natural body chemistry.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
Do any of you no-poo people swim in chlorinated pools regularly?  This has been the hiccup for me when I have tried to go without shampoo.  It works fine until swimming season comes along, and then my hair goes to shit. 

b_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »
I don't know about the no soap thing. I lived in New Orleans for awhile and there was a whole subset of people that did the whole ' so soap/no deodorant'  thing and they stunk. BAD... Like I had to get up and move chairs sitting beside them. They weren't dirty but they did stink horribly.

I remember talking to a friend about it that had several friends like that and her explaining the whole bodies natural smell thing. But... IMO... they really stunk.

Maybe it doesn't work for everyone?

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
I tried the no shampoo thing for a few months but my hair is pretty fine and got greasy way too quickly. I shampoo (head and beard) every couple days now. I did test going soap free at the same time and I've been doing it now for a few years successfully. I do use deodorant though.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »
What an interesting thread! I'm supposed to be starting a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in July so I'll be out in the woods for 5 months. I've heard of people not using shampoo before but I think I've read enough here to give going completely soap free a shot. It totally makes sense to me that your body would immediately become oily after ceasing the use of soap because it's so used to having to replace the oils that are striped away daily with the soap. Given that skin is the largest organ in your body I can imagine how the constant application of chemicals can foul up all kinds of natural body chemistry.

My concern about starting this on a hike or bike tour is sunscreen. Can you really get that off with just water? I can't imagine not wearing sunscreen--sometimes it's too hot to wear long sleeves and it's really hard to protect your face without it, even if you wear a hat (which would be hard on a bike tour since I would wear a helmet). Thoughts?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
My concern about starting this on a hike or bike tour is sunscreen. Can you really get that off with just water?

I've found water and a rough-ish washcloth does the job, but other people might use more sunscreen, or gunkier stuff, than I do. The internet suggests using an "oil-based cleanser" rather than soap, followed by warm water and a cloth. So I think my oil-based cleanser in that situation would be... oil. I travel with a 100-ml bottle of olive oil which I use for shaving (and salads), so I would just use that same stuff: wash first with water, massage in a dime-sized blob of oil, then scrub everything off with a wet cloth.

wrt someone else's comment about stinky folks in New Orleans, my guess is that those folks (the faux-bos?) just aren't washing often enough!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
awesome!!!

I have been pretty much no-poo since 2009? I use SLS free conditioner and I box dye my hair- it generally looks quite healthy and happy. I don't need to wash it every day- I do shower almost daily because of workouts/dance/sweat- but I try to only "wash" it 2-3 times a week. Every once in a while I'll tone it with apple cider vinegar when I feel like my scalp needs some extra umph- but otherwise- I haven't bought or used shampoo in years.

Very happy with my choice.

I also switched to a natural deodorant (toms I think) - i'm very against "antiperspirant" I"m a firm believer that you're body needs to sweat.

it honestly took a week or two for me to adjust to the scent and I think my body needed to sort that out- but now I'm quite happy with it and I don't find I smell the same or as bad when I sweat.

I need to figure out a better period/tampon option. I can't do a Diva cup- I have public bathroom at work- no way I could rinse in the bathroom. just not practical.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 09:06:03 AM »
I really need to give this no poo a chance. I have thin, fine hair, but I shampoo every day. It is starting to feel greasy even with shampoo so I'm not sure that going without will be much different. One of my coworkers who regularly gets compliments on her gorgeous hair, that I and many others are very envious of, says she washes her hair with a good shampoo once a week.

Last summer I had broken my arm so doing anything was difficult. So when it came to washing my face I used to use all kinds of cleansers and toners, but I stopped as it was too hard to do with only one hand. My skin has never been clearer since I stopped using all of those products to keep my skin clear. So I am sold on the less is more effective.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
I shower every day but a quick shower.  My skin is very dry so I use lukewarm water not hot water too.  In the morning, I just splash water on my face and then in the evening i wash it with a cleanser.  I only use soap when I shave my underarms and legs.  I wash my hair 3 times a week using a maybe 2 drops of shampoo.  Basically, I use very few products sparingly because of very dry, sensitive skin. 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »
So when it came to washing my face I used to use all kinds of cleansers and toners, but I stopped as it was too hard to do with only one hand. My skin has never been clearer since I stopped using all of those products to keep my skin clear. So I am sold on the less is more effective.

I stopped using cleansers on my face a few years ago. I don't even remember why. I wash with water only and then use a very light moisturizer that I make myself. I don't think my face is any clearer (I've always had pretty clear skin), but it is definitely no worse.

I've tried the baking soda/ACV route before and didn't really like the results. I currently shampoo every other day, sometimes stretched to 3 days. I think when I FIRE (in ~1 year) I will attempt water only. I love the thought of eliminating another product from my routine.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:44 PM »
So when it came to washing my face I used to use all kinds of cleansers and toners, but I stopped as it was too hard to do with only one hand. My skin has never been clearer since I stopped using all of those products to keep my skin clear. So I am sold on the less is more effective.

I stopped using cleansers on my face a few years ago. I don't even remember why. I wash with water only and then use a very light moisturizer that I make myself. I don't think my face is any clearer (I've always had pretty clear skin), but it is definitely no worse.

I've tried the baking soda/ACV route before and didn't really like the results. I currently shampoo every other day, sometimes stretched to 3 days. I think when I FIRE (in ~1 year) I will attempt water only. I love the thought of eliminating another product from my routine.

How do you make the moisturizer?

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »
awesome!!!

I have been pretty much no-poo since 2009? I use SLS free conditioner and I box dye my hair- it generally looks quite healthy and happy. I don't need to wash it every day- I do shower almost daily because of workouts/dance/sweat- but I try to only "wash" it 2-3 times a week. Every once in a while I'll tone it with apple cider vinegar when I feel like my scalp needs some extra umph- but otherwise- I haven't bought or used shampoo in years.

Very happy with my choice.

I also switched to a natural deodorant (toms I think) - i'm very against "antiperspirant" I"m a firm believer that you're body needs to sweat.

it honestly took a week or two for me to adjust to the scent and I think my body needed to sort that out- but now I'm quite happy with it and I don't find I smell the same or as bad when I sweat.

I need to figure out a better period/tampon option. I can't do a Diva cup- I have public bathroom at work- no way I could rinse in the bathroom. just not practical.

I've used a diva cup in a public bathroom, and it's not ideal. However, you don't have to rinse it every time. A lot of people use them while camping, so definitely limited rinsing ability. Also, you may be able to get away with not emptying it during the workday, depending on your flow. That's the beauty of the diva cup.  :) 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
You guys are weird =D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!