Author Topic: Helped a neighbor save $300-600!  (Read 2554 times)

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
Helped a neighbor save $300-600!
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
My neighbor's front-load washer was leaking water from the front of the machine every time it ran. He called me to ask if I knew any good repair companies in the area. I wanted to look at it first: turned out there was a little half-circle notch ripped out of the giant circular rubber gasket around the mouth of the washer.

Looking online, the cost of a new gasket was around $100-150 for OEM. So probably almost 300 for a repair person to replace. He also said he wouldn't mind replacing THE WHOLE WASHER, that "it was time". I literally denied the request as if I had a say. We watched some youtube videos and found one guy who fixed the same exact problem with some roofing polyurethane in a caulk tube and some wax paper. It basically fills the gap with a similarly rubbery material. Total cost: $5

My neighbor was so reticent to try it, even seeming a little cranky while we did the job. But it worked, and he's been doing laundry for a few weeks now with no leaks, and let me tell you, he is pumped. He said he feels like Macgyver.

So a $5 fix for someone who without me may have spent over 500 on whole new appliance and dropped the old one in a landfill in full working order. Any I possibly made a new frugal convert. Gotta say, it felt good :)

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
Re: Helped a neighbor save $300-600!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
Great job. It blows my mind how many people assume that they are powerless over their expenses and drop large sums of money when a simple and cheap solution can be found with a moderate amount of effort.

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »
Nice.  Wish I had a neighbor like you!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
Nice work - both the repair and the grumpy-turned-stoked convert.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
Great job. It blows my mind how many people assume that they are powerless over their expenses and drop large sums of money when a simple and cheap solution can be found with a moderate amount of effort.

I know! Overpaying to fix the washer is a minor sin in my book. But putting a working washer into a landfill because a thumbnail sized notch of rubber is missing?? Sacrilege!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!