Author Topic: Help: Buying a car in NYC.  (Read 1382 times)

malacca

• Bristles
Help: Buying a car in NYC.
« on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
OK, we are flying into NYC (free flight for us 4!) and staying a few nights in Manhattan (free hotels of course!).

After NYC we will head to Niagra Falls, Toronto and on to Chicago & Minneapolis.

I have been out of the USA for almost 2 years and don't have any wheels. And I don't want to rent a car - way too expensive.

So I will buy a car in or around NYC and drive it to MN and use it for the summer.

But I have never been in NYC - so kind of clueless as far as getting around to actually buy a car. Or even heading to Jersey to buy one.

Any advice?

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
Re: Help: Buying a car in NYC.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:25:55 AM »
OK, we are flying into NYC (free flight for us 4!) and staying a few nights in Manhattan (free hotels of course!).

After NYC we will head to Niagra Falls, Toronto and on to Chicago & Minneapolis.

I have been out of the USA for almost 2 years and don't have any wheels. And I don't want to rent a car - way too expensive.

So I will buy a car in or around NYC and drive it to MN and use it for the summer.

But I have never been in NYC - so kind of clueless as far as getting around to actually buy a car. Or even heading to Jersey to buy one.

Any advice?

That’s literally the last place in the United States where one would need a car, want to buy a car, or even be able to locate a gas station...

Please do yourself a favor, don’t buy a car in or around NYC.  The cost of buying a car in NYC is higher than virtually everywhere else in the country. Parking said car will be a nightmare and expensive.  Gas stations are not easy to locate in manhattan and gas prices are really high.  Driving a used beater car purchased in NYC and using it to travel first to Niagara Falls (hundreds of miles away on the far western side of the state) will be a gamble.  Driving from Niagara Falls to Minnesota will be similarly crazy. The change in registration and plates will not be fun.

If you lived in New York, and were going to buy a used car privately, had time to inspect it fully, time to make repairs and maintenance, and then wanted to drive to Niagara Falls and then Minnesota, you might make it work.  What you’re describing is a nightmare.  My advice is fly from nyc to Niagara Falls (cheap short flights usually $150 and an hour flight) and afterward fly to Minnesota. If you need a car in Minnesota, buy one there.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
As a native NYer I agree.  No one has a car in NYC.  Or if they own a car they park it somewhere and only use it to visit areas outside NYC.  Parking is an absolute nightmare - just take the subway. 

If you really, really want to buy a car, buy it in Niagara Falls or elsewhere in upstate NY.  Or just fly to Niagara Falls and then Minneapolis and buy a car there.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
Well,.. as stated in my post we are a family of 4. So flights are 4X. Rental cars to get out of NYC are also absurd.

Of course I won't drive in NYC - except to leave. And try to buy when leaving. The hotel charges $40 a day for parking. The overall cost of flying and renting a car is quite high. NYC to Niagara = $1300. Niagara to MSP = $1700. Plus a rental for Niagara. Check in a few Ubers to from airports and we are well over $3500. Which is the price of a beater.

So even if we pay a bit more for a beater it will still be cheaper in the long run. I am looking at 2 to 5K for a used vehicle.

And I won't register it in NY. I will get a temporary tag from the NY DMV for $15 (good for 30 days) and register the vehicle in MN or Montana.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
Maybe you could take a commuter train or bus and then buy the car in New Jersey or Connecticut?

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »
This is a horrible idea. 

nirodha

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »
Amtrak from NYC to Niagra? Looks like it's $67 a person:

https://www.amtrak.com/maple-leaf-train

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
You can also compare prices of RV rentals... Used to renting out for a full summer, and having the vehicle cross borders.

And if you find the couple with a thread about a 0 expense 6 month Hawaii honeymoon, they did the buy a beater thing and everyone is super proud (because it worked out and they told us after)