Author Topic: Just tried to make my own pectin...  (Read 2199 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Just tried to make my own pectin...
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
I just tried to make my own pectin using small geen apples thinned from the tree.

Pretty sure it failed.  A test mini batch barely sets.. more like syrup.

Anyone have luck with something other than crabapples?

Nb.  I am trying this as the no pectin jam I did last year requied 2x fruit for same amount of jam, so it was pretty expensive.  I am looking for avoiding the $2+ cost of pectin for 4 large jam jars.. without spend $5 on more fruit LOL!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Just tried to make my own pectin...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »
I think cranberries are also high in pectin.  Do you think that you could just add apple or cranberry to your jam recipe?
In a recent TV show, someone made strawberry jam, they didn't give the recipe but it didn't seem to have pectin in it. After cooking the jam, they put it in a tray overnight in the fridge. I assume this made a lot of water evaporate, helping it thicken.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »
I got it to work with seville orange seeds.  I was following this recipe for marmalade: http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2013/02/seville-orange-marmalade.html

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
If you're not making crabapple jelly, you're missing out.

slowdive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:36:29 AM »
Hi - I'm new here, but I've been reading the forums for some time.  I can help with the natural pectin discussion!

My wife is a food blogger and incredible cook - and she's turned our kitchen into a jam factory for the past few months. We're currently in the peach phase.

She hates pectin and doesn't use it. She uses lemons instead!

She learned this technique from the book "The Joy of Jams, Jellies, & Other Sweet Preserves: 200 Classic and Contemporary Recipes Showcasing the Fabulous Flavors of Fresh Fruits" by Linda Ziedrich.

I can personally confirm that if done right, you can barely tell the difference between the pectin jam and the jam made without pectin using only lemons. The one made without pectin will be slightly "looser". It's still "set" enough to use for PB&J or any other normal jam use.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:13 AM »
Thanks all!  I have more to try.  Crabapples and cranberries and now lemons.  I think I will try to pick moire fruit and test it all.   You are right that loose jam can be OK so I will try my own lightly setting green apple 'syrup' too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!