Author Topic: Hacked My Engagement Ring  (Read 20648 times)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Hacked My Engagement Ring
« on: March 27, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »
We're getting married.  I accidentally fell in love with a crazy expensive ring.  The stats were: 

Platinum 3-stone, trellis setting
1.5 carat diamond center stone
Two 0.5 carat diamond side stones

I didn't ask the price in the retail shop, but it was probably ~$25,000.  Costco has the very ring for $17,000.  We found something similar at idonowidont.com for $13,000.  All these choices were too expensive (for me, I think soon-to-be Huzz would've bought the Costco ring if it would make me happy).

Instead, we bought a slightly differently styled trellis setting from The Aladdin's Cave in the UK on Etsy on sale for $50.  They claim it's titanium, but my jeweler says no, probably silver.  No problem, it was only $50.  If it scratches or something, my plan is to upgrade to a platinum setting from Blue Nile for $1,170:  http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-three-stone-ring/three-stone-trellis-ring-platinum_5922

I used a conversion chart to find cubic zirconia stones:  http://www.diamondnexus.com/product-education-mm-to-catat-weight-conversion.html  We bought 50 7.5mm AAAAA white cubic zirconia stones (equivalent in size to 1.67 carat diamonds) and 100 5.25mm CZ stones (equivalent in size to 0.56 carat diamonds) for $84 from SyntheticGems.org.  I figured bigger is better!  My jeweler set the stones for $131.

All told, the ring cost $265!!!

Here's the retail ring:

And here is my DIY knockoff:

The lighting is different, but trust me, it sparkles just the same!  I could not be more pleased. 

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hacked My Engagement Ring
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:46 PM »
Super pretty!  And great job on the savings...wish I had thought of that, lol. 

I'm biased because mine is very similar xD 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
Sweet! 

My wife has a pretty nice ring I inherited, but I tell her that CZ is the insurance policy on it if she loses it!  I wanted a stainless steel band but she insisted on getting me one in white gold. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
Uhm, you are AMAZING and this really makes my day! Thanks for the update! It looks INCREDIBLE.

Also, on Saturday I'm picking up my 0.5ct moissanite forever brilliant/enhanced stone. $200 CAD. If you ever switch the cz to moissanite, feel free to ask me if I'm happy with mine or not. Time will tell!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
That ring is lovely, and what a super savings!  :D

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
What do you plan to do with the rest of the stones? I'm thinking tiara :)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
Great ring, caliq!  I'm still considering a band.

So Close, YES.  Losing a "real" ring was a worry, and one of the many reasons we decided to go in an unconventional direction.

Lifejoy, I didn't look into moissanite.  We'll see how the CZ holds up.

Pbkmaine, a tiara is a great idea!  However, I'm going to hold onto them for awhile, since some information on CZ says they cloud, yellow, and possibly chip with wear.  Now, I have spares.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »

Great ring, caliq!  I'm still considering a band.

So Close, YES.  Losing a "real" ring was a worry, and one of the many reasons we decided to go in an unconventional direction.

Lifejoy, I didn't look into moissanite.  We'll see how the CZ holds up.

Pbkmaine, a tiara is a great idea!  However, I'm going to hold onto them for awhile, since some information on CZ says they cloud, yellow, and possibly chip with wear.  Now, I have spares.

I received my moissanite today, and I LOVE it! It's properties are not identical to a diamond, and in some ways cz would be closer to diamond than moissanite is. I think it's great that you've got a stockpile :D! If only you didn't have to pay someone to set the stones... Hmm.

If they start to looks dirty or cloudy, get them cleaned at your local jewellery store :). Most places will have an ultrasonic, and can do this quickly and easily and FOR FREE. It makes such a big difference!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »
Sweet! If you can't tell the difference anyway, what's the point? Nice going!

FIKris

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:54 PM »
Sweet!  Great job!

What are you thinking for a dress?   

Also - If there are any Mustachian ladies out there interested in a lovely size 8 (fitted taken in to size 6 at the waist) 100% silk summer gown from 2013 for trade or barter, let me know, I'll send pictures. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
It looks very pretty!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 08:05:43 PM »
That's lovely. I loved wearing my engagement ring, an orange oval sapphire set in white gold that we had custom made for about $400. After we got married I just didn't wear it as much and now I only wear it a couple of times a year so I'm really glad I didn't get something crazy expensive. Also because I didn't spend too much I don't feel guilty about hanging on to it for largely sentimental reasons.

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 11:35:02 PM »
Why couldn't I have found MMM earlier? I love my engagement ring but that $10k could've been invested instead. Beautiful ring!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Why couldn't I have found MMM earlier? I love my engagement ring but that $10k could've been invested instead. Beautiful ring!

It's not too late!  Create your own knock-off, sell the real piece, and invest the savings.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
Sweet!  Great job!

Also - If there are any Mustachian ladies out there interested in a lovely size 8 (fitted taken in to size 6 at the waist) 100% silk summer gown from 2013 for trade or barter, let me know, I'll send pictures.

Pics, always I want pics! :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »

Someone in another thread definitely sold their ring and bought a $10 replacement. Invested the difference!

FIKris

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Sweet!  Great job!

Sure thing:

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Sweet!  Great job!

FIKristen, your dress is beautiful.  Yay for straps on a wedding dress!  I'm mystified as to why every bride wants to go strapless.  The event lasts hours and you have to move/dance throughout... brides, do you WANT to awkwardly hike it up 500 times in front of everyone you know???

I don't have a clue about my dress yet, or if I even need one.  We're eloping sometime May/June.  I have a friend who's in fashion, and I will ask her advice if we end up doing a ceremony or wedding package thing (as opposed to just signing papers at the courthouse).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »

Sweet!  Great job!

Sure thing:
e

WOW that dress is so gorgeous! Love the fabric! Just wow. Elegant, and you look incredible!

I think my humble bust (haha A cup!) would not fit in your glorious dress, but perhaps you could sell it online?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:50 AM »
Sweet! 

My wife has a pretty nice ring I inherited, but I tell her that CZ is the insurance policy on it if she loses it!  I wanted a stainless steel band but she insisted on getting me one in white gold.

just an FYI most home owners insurance covers loss of things like this.  Depending on what your deductible is

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 07:49:12 AM »
Good job, I am very impressed.

Ocelot

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
I got engaged recently, and we picked out a ring from the large assortment at a local 2nd hand shop. I think it was $85 - job done. I do not understand why anyone -short of celebrity billionaires - would spend more than a couple of hundred bucks on something that serves no practical purpose at all. $25k is an actual joke, it's completely irrational - you could live off that for a year! Anyone that is admiring your ring is/should be effectively admiring your commitment and your relationship - otherwise they're probably not people worth trying to impress anyway.

marryliu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 05:25:06 AM »
Ring is good.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
Kind of a post holder as you've inspired me to do something similar when the time comes!

Thanks and congrats!

JBarton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »
Love this topic!!! You sure are an inspiration for me and my guy now (we will be getting married soon)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »
FIKristen, your dress is beautiful.  Yay for straps on a wedding dress!  I'm mystified as to why every bride wants to go strapless.  The event lasts hours and you have to move/dance throughout... brides, do you WANT to awkwardly hike it up 500 times in front of everyone you know???

Every bride- no idea. But for some brides, if the dress is well fitted, and your body type is right- you don't have to do that. I never once adjusted my strapless dress. The thing held itself up.  I danced the night away. It was a wonderfully comfortable dress.

And I love the ring. I wish mine was fake, though it wasn't outrageously expensive, diamonds are silly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:58:41 AM by iowajes »

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Sweet! 

just an FYI most home owners insurance covers loss of things like this.  Depending on what your deductible is

Generally speaking you actually need a specific rider added to your home owner's policy to cover things like wedding rings. If it's something that you're worried about, I'd call up your insurance company.

JBarton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 09:05:56 PM »
Lol, no need for insurance if we stay on the cheap side :P

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 02:55:57 AM »
My husband inherited his late grandmothers engagement ring. I love this ring! Its also the only ring i wear.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
I got a compliment on it just yesterday from a woman on the street.  I'm on the lookout now for a channel-set eternity band in CZ.  I'll post pictures when I find the right thing.

I really encourage anyone on the fence to go ahead with the cheaper version first.  You can always upgrade later if you're not 100% pleased.

P.S.  We eloped to City Hall in July.  True story:  City Hall has always been my dream!  I wore a white dress, shoes, etc. I already owned.  We're deliriously happy, and expecting our first baby!  Couldn't be more grateful we avoided spending $17k on a ring, especially now that we're learning about infant daycare rates in Chicago. . . BARF!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:27:46 AM by Chrissy »

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Very impressive decision. The cultural pressures around expense diamond engagement rings are in line with - if not above - that of a fancy house and nice car. To be able to fight through that even after seeing a super expensive option is admirable. And it looks great!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
Wow this is much cheaper than what I'm getting built for my girlfriend. I'm using a fake diamond too, but a very expensive fake diamond, $895 Amora Gem :( 
I also bought some blue diamonds for $220 and am spending $1100~ to get a custom platinum band made and to have the gems put in the band. Total price is almost 10 times as much as your badass ring :(

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »
Don't be sad, Jeremy!  You're probably paying LESS than 10% what you would've otherwise.  That's still badass.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 03:33:23 PM »
Wow this is much cheaper than what I'm getting built for my girlfriend. I'm using a fake diamond too, but a very expensive fake diamond, $895 Amora Gem :( 
I also bought some blue diamonds for $220 and am spending $1100~ to get a custom platinum band made and to have the gems put in the band. Total price is almost 10 times as much as your badass ring :(

Also, you're surprising your gf with it, instead of her creating it. Might leave a bad taste in her mouth if you offered her a ring that didn't fit her desires... I think you've gone in a great direction!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 04:00:48 PM »
I'm not sad, just thinking of ways I could of saved even more! I have a friend who recently spent $11,000 on a ring, so I feel pretty good comparatively.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »
Have you given it to her, Jeremy?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »
Nop, just recently shipped the gems to David Klass, the blue diamonds that I bought were shipped to me from out of the country and took a while to arrive, the gems will get to David Klass tomorrow. I don't even know how I'll propose yet, I just want the ring ready for when I figure out the how, when and where.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »
Nice to make it yourself, but here is one in stainless steel and cz, for $15
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDDMXIQ?keywords=5%20stone%20trellis%20ring%20stainless%20steel&qid=1444335670&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

I had to give up my anniversary ring (long story). Bought a couple cz and stainless steel rings for $25.  I do enjoy wearing them, and it is nice to have variety (one is a 3 stone trellis, other is 5 stone anniversary band). However I DO plan on replacing anniversary ring in future with a diamond or real gemstone ring, because that is something important to me (and my husband). But not to tune of 15 or even 5K.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
I have only a white gold wedding band. I would not purchase a diamond because it pisses me off that the good folks at de Beers and the like have convinced people to spend three months of salary on something dug out of the earth by the modern equivalent of serfs. If I ever get some kind of fancy ring, I was thinking of hitting the pawn shop.

I love the OP's beautiful, thoughtfully chosen, designed, and PAID FOR ring.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Love it! I wear a 1ct equivalent moissanite solitaire. I didn't love the ethics of diamonds and we didn't have a lot of money when we got engaged. I believe my ring was around $1000 and four years later it's still in great shape, right next to a family heirloom wedding band that's over 100 years old.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm not normally into synthetics but I wouldn't mind getting moissanite earrings someday. They are very hard and wear well and throw off a ton of fire.

For my engagement/anniversary ring I want a real stone though. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
I'm so badass I convinced my wife to marry me without getting her an engagement ring at all.

By the way, implying that Moissanite is somehow inferior as a gemstone or "not real" makes no sense. It's just silicon carbide, you know, not plastic or something. It's shinier and harder than sapphire! It's naturally rarer than sapphire too, I think (which implies that it's much rarer than diamond) -- although all those sorts of gemstones, including diamond, can be grown in a lab via chemical vapor deposition these days.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »
Sweet! 

Yes, but your policy cost will almost certainly go up and you could get cancelled. 

Three years ago, as they were divorcing, my BF's ex-wife filed a $10k claim for a lost ring.  Unbeknownst to him, she got the check and cashed it (forged his signature).  Fast forward to last December, he's closing on his new house and his insurance quote is +$100 a month because of the claim she had made.  What claim, he said?  She kept every bit of the $10k and he got stuck with the policy hike.  Ouch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.  Your ring is awesome!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:58:56 PM by TrulyStashin »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
Possibly it doesn't make rational sense, but that's the way I feel. My uncle was a geologist, and as a kid had all sorts of neat things like geodes, fossils, and even a meteorite he let us see and play with. Gemstones are created in earth, in a particular time and place. For some gemstones they have to have very unusual environment and chemicals co-occur in order to be created. I suppose you could make a fabricated fossil that looked identical to a real fossil. But the real fossil, or meteorite, or gemstone holds more fascination to me. Synthetic gemstones, whether diamonds, corundum, and silicon carbide, using petroleum energy, in controlled environments may actually be more useful (used from everything from space station windows and drill bits) than the naturally occurring varieties, which are basically (beautiful) "accidents" of nature.
I'm also an environmentalist, and so I also know my enjoyment of these things is contradictory with other values I have, as others have said, tons of earth has to be moved, poor working conditions to find these things.
I know I have a problem (lol) I just try to minimize the damage.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:09:40 PM by partgypsy »

Deo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
Hihi, reminds me of the engagement ring I bought my wife.

I scouted ebay for 4 months until I found the right size, style and price.  I got it second hand for £90, bidding in the last 4 seconds. 

Real diamond, white gold. Exact same ring new was over £2000.

A bit of spit and polish, and it was practically brand new! :D

Bajadoc

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
Your future husband is really lucky to have a smart girl like you.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
Re blood diamonds, there are Canadian-mined diamonds.  Still a bit iffy environmentally, due to location, but definitely no blood involved.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
I'm all about the Amora gem, it's still expensive but it's soooo brilliant and has so much fire! It is a lab created gem which naturally occurs on stars and in the core of the earth

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
Found a CZ, channel-set eternity band on Amazon for $7 with shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJT5S4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 

The grand total for both rings is now $272, and I'm sitting on 147 AAAAA in extra stones.

I've haven't taken off the new band since it arrived over a week ago, and it's held up.  I wear the rings together, and got another compliment on it from the bank teller today!  Here's a picture:

needmyfi

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
I got a compliment on it just yesterday from a woman on the street.  I'm on the lookout now for a channel-set eternity band in CZ.  I'll post pictures when I find the right thing.

I really encourage anyone on the fence to go ahead with the cheaper version first.  You can always upgrade later if you're not 100% pleased.

P.S.  We eloped to City Hall in July.  True story:  City Hall has always been my dream!  I wore a white dress, shoes, etc. I already owned.  We're deliriously happy, and expecting our first baby!  Couldn't be more grateful we avoided spending $17k on a ring, especially now that we're learning about infant daycare rates in Chicago. . . BARF!

This is awesome!  Congrats on that lucky baby.  Boy or girl?