Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 45910 times)

Trundlesome1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Unreal.  Groceries are so expensive here in Australia.  Blueberries are about $7 for a small box here.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
Last week I also got 2lb cans of refried beans on managers special for $0.69 ea.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »
Last week I also got 2lb cans of refried beans on managers special for $0.69 ea.
Wow, that's got to be as cheap as dried pintos!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 04:32:47 PM »
Wow, that's got to be as cheap as dried pintos!

Yeah, that's what I figured. I have dried pintos. But this saves me the trouble of making them.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
I always keep a can or two of refried on hand for exactly that reason - in case I want to make nachos or something on less than 10 hours of notice.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
I always keep a can or two of refried on hand for exactly that reason - in case I want to make nachos or something on less than 10 hours of notice.

Fortunately, my legume-oriented cravings give me at least 12 or 14 hours of warning before they hit.

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
Only noteworthy sale for me... wild caught salmon $1.99 per pound. Unadvertized overstock price. I snagged 5 lbs.

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
A good rule I use is if the price is crazy that week, don't buy it! It's definitely saying something when berries or other foods are so expensive, it means that the cost to produce and transport them is very high too. I just don't eat em unless they are cheap and local.

If you can be flexible with what type of green veggie you eat one week and what your fruit is, you can keep your costs low! If you think about your meals/shopping in categories and just buy the deals when you get to the store you'll be in good shape. My grocery list typically looks something like this:

Green vegetable or two (may end up being beans, broccoli, kale etc)
Squash/potato
Onion & Garlic
5 servings fruit
Leaves of some sort (lettuce/spinach/arugula etc)
Chicken
Ground turkey
Fish if on sale
Eggs
Milk & yogurt
Grain (rice/pasta/quinoa or whatever is on sale in the bulk bins)

That's about it...and I do it all at Whole Foods/farmers market for about $350 a month for 2 people.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
Unreal.  Groceries are so expensive here in Australia.  Blueberries are about $7 for a small box here.

What would a typical trip to the Aussie grocery look like? What do you eat typically there?

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

That's pretty awesome. We found a similar deal for black beans recently and stocked up on them. I'd forgotten how delicious they are. Not to mention the killer budget they allow.

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »
One great new way I've found to save money on groceries is with the app iBotta. Normally I don't have time for coupons because I don't usually want what's on sale. But with iBotta, I regularly receive things like $1 off ANY brand of milk, .20c off bananas, $3 of a 12 pack of dos XX.

In other words, things I use. It only takes a little bit of work. I imagine I'm saving 20-25 a month on things I'd buy anyways, with way less than an hour of work.

You can download the app on your smartphone. If you'd like to use my referral code (yffesea), it'd be great. I get $2 and you get $1. Plus there are some bonuses attached to being on a team.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
Wife went on a hike today, so the kids and I had a fun trip to the store, as she wanted some fig newtons to take with her (those are expensive!). The kids insisted that I get one of those carts that are decked out to look like a car, so we were "driving" around the store-- I cruised by the discontinued items section and found:

12 oz. spicy mustard-- $1
Five 1/2 gallons of almond/coconut milk-- $1/ea.

We don't normally do milk in our oatmeal for breakfast (Boy reacts to dairy). "Special" milk is normally inordinately expensive, so the kiddos will be excited to be able to have it regularly for a while.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
Another cheap week of groceries. $2/lb for pork tenderloin, $2/gal for milk, $1.89 for loaves of bread, $1 per head of cauliflower, $1/bunch of asparagus, 60cents/lb for carrots, $1 per bunch of broccoli, 59 cents/lb for pears, $1/lb nectarines. $37 for the week, for a huge amount of food! We have granola and nuts at home already that we'll eat too.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »
It's always interesting to see how much milk prices vary across the country. I drink milk and water exclusively because nothing else appeals to me, so I've been buying 3-4 gallons a week for years. I remember when I first moved here and it was $4 a gallon -- I nearly had a stroke. Now it's back down to $2.65 here.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2015, 07:35:07 PM »
It's always interesting to see how much milk prices vary across the country. I drink milk and water exclusively because nothing else appeals to me, so I've been buying 3-4 gallons a week for years. I remember when I first moved here and it was $4 a gallon -- I nearly had a stroke. Now it's back down to $2.65 here.

When I was in Hawaii 20 years ago it was around $6. On the North Slope of Alaska it was around $10. It's usually $3 here, but bounces between $2 and $3.50 (within a week even). I'd be interested to learn more about the economics of grocery stores and how the advertised prices on lost leaders work and how much they are losing and how they make it back on other items, etc.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 07:22:01 AM »
I recently found a fruit and vegetable shop about ten minutes drive from my place. I tend to go there regularly now.

An example of prices are:

$0.59 a kilo for oranges
$1.19 a kilo for bananas (they were $1.49 today)
$1.29 a kilo for mandarins
$1.99 a kilo for capsicum (they were $1.49 today)
$1.49 for tomatoes (and I've seen them as low as 79c/kg...in winter!)
$1.99 for a 5kg bag of potatoes
$1.19 for a 2kg bag of brown onions
$0.79 for a 1kg bag of carrots

Combine that with Aldi for most of the packaged stuff ($0.75 a tin of beans/lentils, $0.95 for Australian canned tomatoes,  etc), and meat from wherever (although $10+/kg is normal there),  I tend to do alright.

I'm astonished that a tin of tomatoes shipped all the way from Italy sells for $0.59 yet the same from Australia is $0.95.

Milk's usually about $2 for 2L (I'm surprised that gallon containers are so common in the States,  aren't they too heavy?)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:24:01 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »

Milk's usually about $2 for 2L (I'm surprised that gallon containers are so common in the States,  aren't they too heavy?)

It's a common trope in commercials that kids spill milk everywhere while trying to pour their cereal. I know some families transfer the milk to a smaller pitcher, but mostly, you just learn to muscle it at a young age.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 08:04:01 AM »

It's a common trope in commercials that kids spill milk everywhere while trying to pour their cereal. I know some families transfer the milk to a smaller pitcher, but mostly, you just learn to muscle it at a young age.
Hmm, do they offer half gallon containers? Half a gallon seems ideal, about 1.9L. Seems kinda silly really to have milk in such large containers, especially given milk's shelf life (or is it loaded up with HFCS there to extend that?).

I admit I've taken to buying the long life milk,  which is $0.90 for a 1L carton.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
Milk is offered in gallon and half gallon containers in the US, along with smaller cartons that hold varying amounts. Buying several half gallons would be severely impractical in my case because I go through it so quickly (3-4 gallons a week).

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Grocery shopping
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
I'd be interested to learn more about the economics of grocery stores and how the advertised prices on lost leaders work and how much they are losing and how they make it back on other items, etc.

It depends mightily on the store.
Costco is by FAR the best place to shop, in the conus they have a very simple approach to pricing: 13.5% margin.
Everything you buy has cost them 0.865 times what you pay.
Among regular stores walmart and target are the ones taking the smaller margins on average, 25-30% 
To the surprise of no one, whole foods takes the highest margins, 45 to 50%.
The policy on deals also changes across the different banners.
Some will do what is called "penny for penny" meaning that if a certain product costs them $6 and they are selling it for $10, if the manufacturer gives them a $2 temporary discount they will reduce their price by $2. They will keep their margin fully intact.
Again to the surprise of no one this is what whole foods usually does.
Kroger also does the same.
Others will keep the same margin %, so using the figures of the above example a $2 temporary discount from the manufacturer would result in a $6.67 selling price. Walmart and target tend to fall in this category.

The above is a general rule, valid for items that move reasonable volumes without being uber brands with super high velocity on the shelf.
Coca cola products tend to be sold at very very low margins, sometimes even at a loss during a special.
Conversely, very slow moving items tend to have very high margins to compensate for the slower movement.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

Hmm, do they offer half gallon containers? Half a gallon seems ideal, about 1.9L. Seems kinda silly really to have milk in such large containers, especially given milk's shelf life (or is it loaded up with HFCS there to extend that?).

I admit I've taken to buying the long life milk,  which is $0.90 for a 1L carton.

You can get milk in pints, quarts, half gallons, or gallons. Each smaller size is typically more expensive per ounce. Frequently a quart will be 10% cheaper than a half gallon. Or a half gallon will be 25% cheaper than a gallon. It's kind of crazy.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 04:22:18 AM »
Gosh. I'm so envious at your prices. And I understand why I spend absurd amount more on food.

An example of prices are - cheepest sale in ():
$3.1 (1.25) a kilo for oranges
$2.9 (1.25) a kilo for bananas
$6.25 for (the cheapest of) tomatoes - if you want fancy tomatoes they cost $11-12 a kilo, but you might luck out and get them 40% off.
$1.8 for 1kg of onions
$2.25 (1.25) for 1kg of carrots (when "local" they surge up to 2.25 for 1/2 a kilo...)
$2.5 for 1 medium avocado - or 6.25 for a kilo of the tiny ones
1.25 for a head of broccoli or cauliflower (around 1/2 a kilo)

Milk's usually about $1.8 for 1L, I can only ocationally (every second month or so) find it at rock bottom price of 1.25.
Ground pork on sale can drop to 1.35 a pound. Ground beef not on sale costs $ 6.5 a pound. If you want meat it's near $ 20 a pound
Any nuts found at $ 12.5 or less a kilo I buy in bulk. Normally several of them go for the double.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »
It depends mightily on the store.
Costco is by FAR the best place to shop, in the conus they have a very simple approach to pricing: 13.5% margin.
Everything you buy has cost them 0.865 times what you pay.
Really? Do you have a source for that? I've never heard anything like that before.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Grocery shopping
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
Edit. Let's say I can guarantee that is true.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »
I appreciate that you may have first-hand knowledge of it, but you are just some guy on the internet. That's not much of a source. (FWIW, the GM% in the audited financial statements is about 12.6% so the number is reasonable)

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2015, 07:28:13 AM »

18 items under $18 in my local farmers market
Good for 10days for two of us since we eat lot of curry and raw fresh veggies.

I wish my local farmer's market had prices like that. I live by DC so my farmer's market prices would be almost triple that.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Grocery shopping
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:52 AM »
I appreciate that you may have first-hand knowledge of it, but you are just some guy on the internet. That's not much of a source. (FWIW, the GM% in the audited financial statements is about 12.6% so the number is reasonable)

I understand completely no worries.
I just prefer to avoid publicly explaining why and how I do know because I'm not sure the retailers involved would be happy to know someone is putting the information out there.

By the way it's not that hard to get a general confirmation of this, knowing that give or take all major retailers get more or less the same net net cost from suppliers.
You can safely assume that costco, walmart, Kroger Safeway and publix get more or less the same conditions from coca cola, P&G, unilever, etc.
then you can work back their margins.

You are going to have a hard time finding out a clear source saying "hey that's what we make on the products we sell"

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »
I thought Costco bragged about keeping their margin set low so that their members got fair prices on things, and why some things are MUCH cheaper than competitors while other things are more average priced. I've heard the 15% markup number from their members who don't have inside connections.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
I thought Costco bragged about keeping their margin set low so that their members got fair prices on things, and why some things are MUCH cheaper than competitors while other things are more average priced. I've heard the 15% markup number from their members who don't have inside connections.

http://www.businessinsider.com/three-reasons-costco-is-beating-wal-mart-2013-11

The 15% figure seems to be public knowledge.  One of my coworkers wrote his MBA thesis on Costco's business strategy.  I don't have access to his hard data, but I remember him talking about Costco constantly on the lookout for things they could buy and keep in stock at the lowest overhead costs for themselves (rotating brand names rather than staying with a particular one) in addition to only stocking a fraction of the items a normal grocery store does which greatly reduces their expenses.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »
We just opened a Sams Club membership last week and filled our pantry (just moved states and had to start grocery shopping from scratch).  This is our first attempt at this kind of store so I'm eager to see if it's worth the effort.  We could have gone with Costco, but it's a 25 minute drive vs 5 minutes for Sams.  This first month we're spending 30% more than a normal month, but I'm hoping it averages out with us not having to go back so often for the bulk items.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
My best hit in quite a while: 8  42oz containers of Quick Quaker Oats @ 2 for $5.00. All from Walgreen's, bought the same week on on several trips. They are $5.50 each at Kroger, and around $4 at Wal-Mart. But the kicker is that my closest Wal-Mart has been out of stock for months. They have the Old Fashioned Oats in the Quick Oats slot.

That's breakfast every day for me for about 10 months for $20, plus milk, a little sugar, and bananas.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2015, 09:20:27 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/three-reasons-costco-is-beating-wal-mart-2013-11

The 15% figure seems to be public knowledge.  One of my coworkers wrote his MBA thesis on Costco's business strategy.  I don't have access to his hard data, but I remember him talking about Costco constantly on the lookout for things they could buy and keep in stock at the lowest overhead costs for themselves (rotating brand names rather than staying with a particular one) in addition to only stocking a fraction of the items a normal grocery store does which greatly reduces their expenses.

Happy what I said is apparently publicly confirmed (13.5% margin is basically 15% markup)

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
Being in NYC can be tough on the grocery budget but one store by me slaps $2 coupons on meat close to the expiration date so I can often get 93 lean ground beef for like $3/lb

Fairway is also reasonably price compared to the hell that is whole foods

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2015, 10:41:56 AM »
Not a bad week.

2 heads of cauliflower at $1.50 each
1 lb Braeburn apples at $0.89/lb
1 lb Granny smith apples at $0.99/lb
2.5 lbs Peaches at $0.59/lb
6.5 lbs pork chops at $1.79/lb

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »

No they aren't.
Sales are everywhere....you just buy them when they are on sale or reduced ( Blueberries)

We split our time between Canada and Australia...and what you need to change most of all is your attitude.
Search out the smaller markets, where produce is cheaper or on sale more often.
We house sit, so  we travel around to the small towns, all the time.

Woolies and Coles have the 'fill a bag for $2-$3" ...for produce.
They have 30% off their meats every day.
Milk is reduced....etc

The biggest challenge, is finding out when they do this....ask, if you need to.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
Today's trip:
2 gallons of milk: $5
5.62 lbs of pork tenderloin: $10.06
29 cans of tuna: $14.50

We still have vegetables and other staples to round out the meals. The tuna will be eaten over the next year or so.

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2015, 01:07:49 AM »
One great way to save on grocery shopping is to list down a weekly menu. Before heading off to buy your groceries, you must make a list of what needs to be bought. In that way you can work around a fixed budget and avoid your losses in terms of food spoilage and wastes.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2015, 01:40:51 AM »
Had another great week of buys:

5 pints of grape tomatoes @ $1.29 ea
2 lb strawberries $1.99
4x 2lb blueberries @ $1.50 ea
2x 10lb chicken leg quarters @ $2.99 ea
2x giant cauliflower heads @ $1.50 ea
Total: $24.12

Will get milk for $1.99 tomorrow or Monday.

Notice that the bulk of forummm's crazy-good meat deals are on chicken. Thighs have always been a killer deal because so many people don't like them.

I'm seeing 5 lb trays of chicken breasts at Sam's for $1.99/lb. Nowhere near as good as forummm's deal, but still not bad. I can throw that chicken on the grill and come up with meat protein for three or more dinners plus a couple lunches on that purchase.  3-5 lbs of chicken breast and a jar of artichoke hearts in oil and you've not only got awesome keto-compliant food, you can pre-portion it out, refrigerate or freeze and end up with a lot of meals for the money.

Pork hasn't been as cheap as chicken for a long time but you can usually get good deals on "family packs" of certain cuts like boneless pork chops.  I always buy pork in "family pack" sizes and just freeze it.  Same for bacon, which is usually painfully expensive.

forummm, where'd you make that magic on the chicken leg quarters?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:44:07 AM by mefla »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 06:22:25 AM »
Had another great week of buys:

5 pints of grape tomatoes @ $1.29 ea
2 lb strawberries $1.99
4x 2lb blueberries @ $1.50 ea
2x 10lb chicken leg quarters @ $2.99 ea
2x giant cauliflower heads @ $1.50 ea
Total: $24.12

Will get milk for $1.99 tomorrow or Monday.

Notice that the bulk of forummm's crazy-good meat deals are on chicken. Thighs have always been a killer deal because so many people don't like them.

I'm seeing 5 lb trays of chicken breasts at Sam's for $1.99/lb. Nowhere near as good as forummm's deal, but still not bad. I can throw that chicken on the grill and come up with meat protein for three or more dinners plus a couple lunches on that purchase.  3-5 lbs of chicken breast and a jar of artichoke hearts in oil and you've not only got awesome keto-compliant food, you can pre-portion it out, refrigerate or freeze and end up with a lot of meals for the money.

Pork hasn't been as cheap as chicken for a long time but you can usually get good deals on "family packs" of certain cuts like boneless pork chops.  I always buy pork in "family pack" sizes and just freeze it.  Same for bacon, which is usually painfully expensive.

forummm, where'd you make that magic on the chicken leg quarters?

I find pork shoulders or pork butts are frequently $1.49/lb and are great for the crock pot. This is at Kroger. The usual price is $1.99 or so but they routinely go on sale and that's when I buy. Their chicken breasts are either $1.99 or $5 and they go back and forth. Obviously I only buy when cheap. Pork tenderloin is usually $4 but then it goes down to $2 and was $1.79 this week. If you just know what things cost and only buy whatever's on sale you're literally cutting your meat spending as much as by half vs buying something without looking at what's on sale. There's an Asian grocery store that has amazing deals on fruit and vegetables and certain meats. That's where I got the thighs and quarters.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Pretty happy with my haul today:

$1.25 for a gallon of milk (doesn't expire for a week)
$2 each for 2 12 oz bottles of saline solution
$3 for 12 oz of kona whole bean coffee
$0.88/lb for 5 lb whole chicken
$0.99/lb for 3 lbs of pears
$0.99 each for 2 large heads of iceberg lettuce

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »
This week was mostly staples. There was a big cheese sale ($2.49/lb) so I bought 20 pounds. Normally it's $3.50-$4 on sale.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
Chicken thighs - .59/lb
Pork sirloin roast - .99/lb

Splurge! T-bone steak - 4.99/lb

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »
Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries here in Pa are usually skyhigh ($3.99 for a plastic microbox. 6 ounces?).  But occasionally they go way down, like 99 cents for a microbox.  I only buy when they are low.

At $3.99 for a tiny box that lasts for about 2  servings, either there's a berry cartel of some sort, or they are now paying the illegals $40 an hour to pick them, or both. Ha Ha.   Mindblowing.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2016, 04:57:05 AM »
In Early October, we head to the Apple Harvest Festival in Biglerville PA.  But on our way home, about 2 miles from the South Mountain fairgrounds is an orchard that is selling about 30 different kinds of apples.  Each in huge wooden bins.  You're given a large bag, and fill it with what kinds you want, no upcharge for any variety.  And the prices are to die for.

We pre-make apple pie filling and freeze them into pie pan shapes.  Will also dry sugar pack other slices for other uses.  Cortland apples go to MIL for apple butter creation.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2016, 04:08:46 AM »
Today's trip to the fruit and vegetable shop:

1x 500ml bottle of mango juice ($0.99)
1x Pineapple ($1.99)
646g Roma tomatoes ($1.89/kg)
1.738kg Brushed potatoes ($1.99/kg)
1.366kg Bananas ($0.99/kg)
484g Red Capsicum (bell peppers) ($1.99/kg)
464g Carrots ($1.49/kg)
614g Mandarins ($0.99/kg)
386g Small red apples ($0.99/kg)

All of that for $11.65. The potatoes and carrots were a bit on the expensive side, but whatever.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
Yesterday I got:
8 pints of grape tomatoes for $1 each
3 cauliflower at $1 each
5 lbs ground beef at $1.99/lb
6 lbs sweet yellow onions for $3

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2016, 05:25:46 PM »
I am kicking some major grocery butt this month so far. I spent $135 to get $150 in gift cards to one of the major grocery stores here.

Expenses: $172 ($37 plus the $135 for gift cards)

Includes fruits & veggies:
a case of tomatoes with some bad spots,
a small case of grapes, some good, some had to be thrown out,
apricots,
13 pounds of apples.
a head of romaine lettuce
one banana
6 frozen veggie 12oz bags
an entire case of arugula (half dozen bags?) for two dollars. I figured this is the universe telling me it's time to try the fad. My review: arugula tastes worse than foot fungus. And wow, I have a lot of it.

Proteins:
2 lbs turkey burgers
3 lbs bacon ends
2 boxes of veggie burgers
3 lbs chicken nuggets
1 doz eggs
3 cans refried beans

Random stuff:
gallon of milk
1 quart half and half
lentil chips
pretzels
1 yogurt
2 tubs of margarine
a loaf of bread
two packs of tortillas

Money back: $167.6 ($9.6 in rebates, $8 in On Your Next Order coupons, and $150 from the gift cards)

Net Cost: $5.12

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Any one else get spoiled by finding deals?  I mean it just sticks in my brain the times when we went in and found a bunch of roasted chickens marked down because they were in the warmer and then refrigerated section and finally they cleared them.  Now, I try and time my trips to the grocery to see if I can catch that deal again.  I find myself going in if I am just going by the store at about that time.  Can't stand to buy at the regular price anymore but haven't been able to hit sales like that in the last couple months!

Similar stories about stocking up on butter or other goods.  Its like my price point has been permanently lowered...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2016, 09:28:38 AM »
There was a sale on bratwurst and Italian sausage. 18 ounce packages for $1.99. I bought 22 (the freezer is now packed full). A variety of options (beer brats, traditional brats, sweet Italian sausage, traditional Italian sausage).

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
If you can be flexible with what type of green veggie you eat one week and what your fruit is, you can keep your costs low! If you think about your meals/shopping in categories and just buy the deals when you get to the store you'll be in good shape. My grocery list typically looks something like this:

Green vegetable or two (may end up being beans, broccoli, kale etc)
Squash/potato
Onion & Garlic
5 servings fruit
Leaves of some sort (lettuce/spinach/arugula etc)
Chicken
Ground turkey
Fish if on sale
Eggs
Milk & yogurt
Grain (rice/pasta/quinoa or whatever is on sale in the bulk bins)

I'm happy that someone shops the way I do (my non-MMM friends all looked at me funny when I mentioned my grocery habits).  I don't decide what I want to eat and then buy it, I go to the store, see what's on sale and *then* figure out what I'll be eating.

That being said, there haven't been any *stellar* deals at my grocery store lately but I'm veg and stores don't use items like tempeh and tofu as loss-leaders, lol.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!