Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 45911 times)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Another good produce haul
4 lbs asparagus at $1.99/lb
3 lbs strawberries $1.99 (2 berries were moldy so it was on sale)
8 lbs oranges $3
4 pints grape tomatoes $1 ea

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
More bargains today
4.5 pounds black berries $4
25 large cucumbers $5
4 pounds asparagus $6

3x $2/gallon milk

Add that to some rice, meat, and granola we already have at home, and that's what we'll eat this week.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
More bargains today
25 large cucumbers $5
4 pounds asparagus $6

3x $2/gallon milk

Add that to some rice, meat, and granola we already have at home, and that's what we'll eat this week.
What are you going to do with 25 cucumbers?
I just got 36lb of charcoal for $19.99 at Costco, not sure that that is any radically fantastic deal though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »
More bargains today
25 large cucumbers $5
4 pounds asparagus $6

3x $2/gallon milk

I just got 36lb of charcoal for $19.99 at Costco, not sure that that is any radically fantastic deal though.

Pickles?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:36 PM »
Last year our cucumber plant produced at least a hundred cucumbers! I made so many pickles. Large cucumbers are not optimal for making pickles (or so I read), neither are slicing cucumbers (another thing I read), but I used them and they were fine. I made refrigerator pickles, though I doubt that it matters.

ETA: with our bounty of cucumbers, I was looking for ways to use or preserve besides pickles. So I am curious, I found nothing but pickles.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:32:31 PM by G-dog »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Last year our cucumber plant produced at least a hundred cucumbers! I made so many pickles. Large cucumbers are not optimal for making pickles (or so I read), neither are slicing cucumbers (another thing I read), but I used them and they were fine. I made refrigerator pickles, though I doubt that it matters.

ETA: with our bounty of cucumbers, I was looking for ways to use or preserve besides pickles. So I am curious, I found nothing but pickles.

Eh, they certainly won't be as crisp but slicers and bigger cukes can make good spears- particularly, like you said, if they're fridge pickles. I know people also use additives (citric acid? I don't recall) to crisp them up more. As far as other options go, you can always use cukes like zucchini if you press some water out for shredded dishes- it hides well in chili, bulks up soup, etc. A slight taste is conferred, but I don't mind it, although I grew up with it so YMMV. I think people replace it with zucc for other uses, like fritters or fried slices, but I haven't tried those.

Ooooh and tzatziki can't be beat.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
More bargains today
25 large cucumbers $5
4 pounds asparagus $6

3x $2/gallon milk

Cucumber salads. We ate 4 tonight and I used another 13ish to create one that is marinating in some homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »

Eh, they certainly won't be as crisp but slicers and bigger cukes can make good spears- particularly, like you said, if they're fridge pickles. I know people also use additives (citric acid? I don't recall) to crisp them up more. As far as other options go, you can always use cukes like zucchini if you press some water out for shredded dishes- it hides well in chili, bulks up soup, etc. A slight taste is conferred, but I don't mind it, although I grew up with it so YMMV. I think people replace it with zucc for other uses, like fritters or fried slices, but I haven't tried those.

I've thinned out the recipe for tzatziki in the past using more cucumber.  Made a most delightful soup/drink.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:10 AM »

I've thinned out the recipe for tzatziki in the past using more cucumber.  Made a most delightful soup/drink.

I've had some killer cocktails made with cucumber as well! Not going to go through a *ton* of cucumber that way, but certainly a pleasant way to go through some! =D

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »
Another good produce haul
4 lbs asparagus at $1.99/lb
3 lbs strawberries $1.99 (2 berries were moldy so it was on sale)
8 lbs oranges $3
4 pints grape tomatoes $1 ea

I'm jealous- our asparagus and strawberries haven't dropped yet.
still like 3.99/4.99 for asparagus and 3.99 for a pint of strawberries.

I can't- I'll eat canned or frozen veggies before paying that kind of price for asparagus.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
If you can be flexible with what type of green veggie you eat one week and what your fruit is, you can keep your costs low! If you think about your meals/shopping in categories and just buy the deals when you get to the store you'll be in good shape. My grocery list typically looks something like this:

Green vegetable or two (may end up being beans, broccoli, kale etc)
Squash/potato
Onion & Garlic
5 servings fruit
Leaves of some sort (lettuce/spinach/arugula etc)
Chicken
Ground turkey
Fish if on sale
Eggs
Milk & yogurt
Grain (rice/pasta/quinoa or whatever is on sale in the bulk bins)

I'm happy that someone shops the way I do (my non-MMM friends all looked at me funny when I mentioned my grocery habits).  I don't decide what I want to eat and then buy it, I go to the store, see what's on sale and *then* figure out what I'll be eating.

That being said, there haven't been any *stellar* deals at my grocery store lately but I'm veg and stores don't use items like tempeh and tofu as loss-leaders, lol.

I have a loose frame work of what I want- I figure out the exact dish after I get my haul home. But Yeah- I'll easily trade my chicken for pork- or no meat at all if it's not on sale. I can't be bothered with chicken at 4$ a pound. aint no one got time for dat.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
with our bounty of cucumbers, I was looking for ways to use or preserve besides pickles. So I am curious, I found nothing but pickles.

We had craploads of cukes when I was a kid. My mom would peel and grate them, let them drain or squeeze them out, then add vinegar or lemon juice, salt, pepper or chili, and a little oil. It's amazing how many you can eat and still enjoy them, and they're super refreshing on a hot day, or as a side dish for spicy food. (We'd also drink the juice!)

In terms of my own grocery scores, I got a fresh pineapple for two bucks (that's a bargain in Newfoundland). As I just posted on the "What are you eating?" thread, half has been cooked with pork and soy sauce, the other half with Thai red curry paste and coconut milk. Both awesome with rice.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »
If you can be flexible with what type of green veggie you eat one week and what your fruit is, you can keep your costs low! If you think about your meals/shopping in categories and just buy the deals when you get to the store you'll be in good shape. My grocery list typically looks something like this:

Squash/potato
Onion & Garlic
5 servings fruit
Chicken
Ground turkey
Fish if on sale
Eggs
Milk & yogurt

I'm happy that someone shops the way I do (my non-MMM friends all looked at me funny when I mentioned my grocery habits).  I don't decide what I want to eat and then buy it, I go to the store, see what's on sale and *then* figure out what I'll be eating.

That being said, there haven't been any *stellar* deals at my grocery store lately but I'm veg and stores don't use items like tempeh and tofu as loss-leaders, lol.

I have a loose frame work of what I want- I figure out the exact dish after I get my haul home. But Yeah- I'll easily trade my chicken for pork- or no meat at all if it's not on sale. I can't be bothered with chicken at 4$ a pound. aint no one got time for dat.

That is why I love having a Sam's club a few miles away. $1.88 a pound for chicken breast every day.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »

Squash/potato
Onion & Garlic
5 servings fruit
Chicken
Ground turkey
Fish if on sale
Eggs
Milk & yogurt

That is why I love having a Sam's club a few miles away. $1.88 a pound for chicken breast every day.
I hear Wegmans is the same way.but I get anxiety going into that store.  And quite frankly I don't eat enough dry goods to make paying the price of Sam's/BJ's or Costco. So. I fight with the regular store for sales lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
My fridge is packed with berries and vegetables and eggs
60 cans corn or peas @ $0.44/ea
gallon milk $1.99
4x12 oz cheerios (for baby) plus free 18 large eggs--$8 total
6lbs blueberries $2.97
5doz large eggs $3.09
2.5lb bag baby spinach $2.99
6.6lb red cabbage $3.24
4 pints grape tomatoes $1.29 each

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »
Regarding what to do with all those cukes, if you just search online for microwave pickle recipes you can make really tasty and easy pickles with some of them.

We've had some good deals here lately too:
Milk -$1.99/gallon
Eggs - .69/dozen (conventional; I prefer free range but these are good for the short term)
Lots of great, reasonably priced organic veg at the farmer's market...

I've been making my own balsamic dressing for the salad greens.  It's easy peasy of course, but I've been lazy in the past.  I prefer the balsamic from Trader Joe's, Costco Olive Oil, then throw in some scallions, Grey Poupon, and a bit of honey, salt and pepper.  Yummo.  Had a butter lettuce salad tonight with goat cheese, strawberries, unsalted sunflower seeds, and balsamic.  Yummo (and cheap).

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
3 quarts of black raspberries, $0.00.  (Picked 'em out of my yard.)

dbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »
This is the summer of cheap eggs. ALDI has them for .69 cents a dozen regularly, sometimes even .49 cents.  I am practically drinking eggs at our house.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
Biked to get groceries today for the first time. Beautiful weekend summer day, car is in the shop, daughter headed the same way, so if not now, when? I scored some manager's special sausages for $2/lb., and then stocked up on pasta (Prince and Ronzoni brand, ooo) for $.69/box. As I was filling in the required 10 boxes, I picked some of the Ronzonis that were regularly $1.79. Then I noticed a coupon dispenser for the Ronzoni ones, for another $1 off 2 boxes, so those ended up being $0.19 per box. I may go back just to buy 10 boxes of that, and go through the attended checkout just to freak out the clerk.

I will definitely be biking for groceries again.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »
This is the summer of cheap eggs. ALDI has them for .69 cents a dozen regularly, sometimes even .49 cents.  I am practically drinking eggs at our house.

Yeah! They must have over produced in response to the under production of late due to having to kill off the chickens because of that virus. We've used maybe 11 dozen in the past few weeks.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
This week's groceries:
3 lbs strawberries: $2
3 lbs onions: $1.79
2.86 lbs green pepper: $2.26
2.3 lbs tomatoes: $1.82
3 heads lettuce: $2
2.5 gal milk: $5

About $15. Add in some things we have at home: seasonings, salad dressings, rice, 2 lbs chickpeas ($2.5), cans of vegetables (8x$0.35=$2.8), 3 doz eggs ($2) and home made granola. We're probably looking at around $25-30 for food for the week for the adults.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2016, 04:37:03 PM »
$8 for vegetables for a pasta dish (2 kinds of tomatoes, onions)
$1.5 for plums
$2 for red cabbage for a slaw
$4 for milk
$2 for pasta
$12 for pork shoulder (slow cooked)

Probably another <$5 in miscellaneous other ingredients (oil, vinegar, mayo, spices, etc), staples, homemade granola, etc. That's our food for the week. <$35 total

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
3.7lbs broccoli crowns $3.30
4 lbs asparagus $6
4 pints blueberries $4
45 oz high quality organic lettuce blends (arugula, etc) $5

I'll get some milk, pork chops, tomatoes, and other stuff on sale at another store tomorrow.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »
6lbs blackberries $4
6 pints cherry tomatoes $5.34
5 lbs sweet peppers $4.95
3 gallons milk $3

Combine with some cheap cheese, ham, and macaroni, and some miscellaneous items, and that's most of our food for the week.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
None of our farmers markets are actually a good deal, everything is much pricier then in the store so we never buy from them. Just my husband and I and we manage to stay at or under $200/mo and we feel that we are not deprived. My one splurge is cheesecake normally and my husbands is usually snack foods. You got some amazing prices in fruit! We mostly shop at Aldis, Winn Dixie and save a lot plus couple small discount stores. Aldis is great for a lot of things (not their milk though.. Seemed so watered down!). Rest we mostly just buy on sale items. We cannot buy much fresh produce at a time or it will go bad so quickly, we just can't eat it quick enough.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2016, 05:56:25 PM »
44oz blueberries $3.96
3.72 lbs tomatoes $1.82
3.08 lbs broccoli crowns $2.43
2.27 lbs green pepper $1.79
3lb yellow onions $1.49
9 English cucumbers $3
$14.49 total.

Tomorrow I'll get some milk ($1/half gal x 5) and grapes ($0.89/lb) and add that to 2lbs pasta ($2), 2.5 lbs ground beef ($5) and some other miscellaneous ingredients. Along with our homemade granola, that's basically our food for the week.