Author Topic: Got snipped today...  (Read 22399 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Got snipped today...
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
Cost $85 after insurance.  Payback period on other BC not purchased should be around 6 months.  Plus a little piece of mind that a 3rd young'un can't come along and mess up the plan.  Was kind of difficult to take the PERMANENT option that included cutting on me, but if you are going to be a bad ass, you have to do bad ass things.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Got snipped today...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
Congrats! (?) I think that's the appropriate resonse! LOL. 

I told my DH to make the appt, then started sobbing.  We haven't been able to pull the plug yet.  I'm looking forward to the day when we are done, and know we are done. 

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
Hopefully you are off from work the rest of the week with bags of frozen peas ready.  Also if you run for exercise you may find a jock strap helpful for the first runs or so, which should be several weeks from today at a minimum.

Other than that, you are doing awesome!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
Been thinking about doing it myself, I think we're gonna wait until we're both 30, at which point changing our mind about no kids might be dangerous to woman and child.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »
Regarding insurance, did they pay for 80% of it after a copay or something? I'm considering the big snip myself but figure I'll wait until I'm not paying full freight (ie in a year or two when we're on the gold plated silver ACA plan that has low copays and deductibles instead of our current HDHI with $3000 or $5000 deductible).

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Woo hoo!  It's an awesome feeling isn't it?

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
Been thinking about doing it myself, I think we're gonna wait until we're both 30, at which point changing our mind about no kids might be dangerous to woman and child.

When I was researching this stuff it seemed like the early 30s were a great time to be having kids.  The late 30s seemed to be where things started getting spotty.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Been thinking about doing it myself ...
I highly recommend a trained medical professional.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »
For a guy this sounds scary but it's really easy-peasy. I watched OTA TV for a weekend and had zero issues.

We're talking about cutting cable, right?

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

HA!  This wins the internet today!

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »

HA!  This wins the internet today!

Yep, this totally wins! Made me lol!
In all seriousness though, as I understand, there are follow up chekups after the procedure. Don't miss them! A coworker skipped one of the follow ups and was rewarded with a very unexpected surprise... he has 5 kids now :)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:39:30 PM »
Regarding insurance, did they pay for 80% of it after a copay or something? I'm considering the big snip myself but figure I'll wait until I'm not paying full freight (ie in a year or two when we're on the gold plated silver ACA plan that has low copays and deductibles instead of our current HDHI with $3000 or $5000 deductible).

We have a $1000 deductible, but this fell under a regular doctors visit.  So one copay for the consult, one copay for the procedure and a few bucks for the meds.  I speculate the insurance companies like paying for the procedure, because it is much cheaper than the alternative.  Give them a call and see what they would charge.  My docs sheet rate was $1,100, but aim sure I could have gotten him down to about half that if I had been paying cash.  I think MMM paid $600.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
My hubby did this once we had our 3rd child because we were positive that we were done.  Make sure sperm count is down to zero as another reader advised.  I would make sure you are very positive about the decision before taking the leap. Then it will feel awesome! 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
Now you can never again whisper those 5 words that make the ladies go wild:

"I'm gonna get you pregnant."

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
Have you gotten your bareback license from the DMV yet?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 05:21:37 PM »

Our plan as well.  we have decided to be childless ... but its been 2 months now.  so it could change.  May as well wait til 30

Rika Non

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Congrats.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
Do chicks dig vasectomy scars?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
Do chicks dig vasectomy scars?

Chicks dig vasectomies and I'm not going to look at scary photogs.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
The snip is in my near future. *gulp*

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »
My hubby did this once we had our 3rd child because we were positive that we were done.  Make sure sperm count is down to zero as another reader advised.  I would make sure you are very positive about the decision before taking the leap. Then it will feel awesome!

I don't think the procedure will ever feel awesome.  :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
DH got this done when we were just married for a year.  Awesome decision!  However it took longer for him to heal up than we were expecting, there was a LOT of swelling.  I will never again ask him to have that area cut open, ever.

Overall worth it though, a few weeks of discomfort for a lifetime of no condoms to buy.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »
woohoo have fun!

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
Way to go.  I had mine done in my early 30s, before I even had health insurance, and it was probably the best financial decision I ever made.  that was over 30 years ago, and I still have no regrets.  But it may have been easier for me, as I still don't like kids.

How "comfortable" it is seems to be dependent on the skill of your doctor.  Mine was pain free during and after, but I know it's not always like that.  My brother (after blowing his first two million, i.e. having two kids) went to the same doctor as I used and also had zero issues.

Heh heh, issues....

TrMama

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
DH got this done when we were just married for a year.  Awesome decision!  However it took longer for him to heal up than we were expecting, there was a LOT of swelling.  I will never again ask him to have that area cut open, ever.

You might have felt less sympathetic if you just survived a horrific pregnancy followed by the birth of a 10lb sumo baby. My DH received way, way less sympathy ;-)

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 10:27:39 AM »
I had my consult on Tuesday, and go back in about a month to finish the job.

It does feel a little weird to do something permanent in my early thirties.  However, we felt done having children after three and the fourth arrived about a month ago.

The doctor said they can do the follow-up testing by mail now.  They send kits around 4 and 8 weeks after the snip, and you can test yourself to make sure everything is not working.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
I'd love to have it done, but have read too many horror stories about it going wrong.  Currently too afraid to have it done!

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »
Had mine done in a local hospital in Nigeria.  We were expecting our 3rd child and were certain we wanted to stop there.
Total cost:  $12.50. 
Fully effective.  And the stories I have to tell from the operating theatre are priceless.
Well worth all costs.

Doomspark

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
I got clipped courtesy of the military after my son was born.  Two kids = enough.  No regrets.

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
So...is "So Close" the new screen name post surgery? Just kidding...Did the same thing several years ago.  For me, the idea of having it done was far worse than the actual procedure.  Remember, frozen peas are your friend.  Just don't use them for stir-fry after :-)

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
Don't try to save money by skipping your post procedure testings.  I used to work in a clinic and we saw several post vasectomy pregnancies.  Of course the guys suspected a cheating spouse, but after testing they found that they were not sterile. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »

You might have felt less sympathetic if you just survived a horrific pregnancy followed by the birth of a 10lb sumo baby. My DH received way, way less sympathy ;-)
Ha ha, probably true!  And I'm a tiny woman, about the size of a typical 12 year old, so I can imagine.  But no kids for me thanks.  There are plenty of people who want to be parents, and I'm happy for them, but it's not me.

To clarify, I don't think the doctor did anything wrong, just that DH had more reaction swelling than we were expecting.  Even with that, it was still well worth it.  He even says so!

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

When I was researching this stuff it seemed like the early 30s were a great time to be having kids.  The late 30s seemed to be where things started getting spotty.

I had my son a month before I turned 41.  My husband was 43. 

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Sure.  And good for you.  IIRC, infertility sets in before probabilities of birth defects or major complications goes above 50%, so even beyond your personal experience, you're always "probably fine," meaning your experience is almost certainly typical of late parents.  But there's a lot that that leaves unsaid.  Here's Down Syndrome, for example, just because it jumped out in a search:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Down_risk_by_maternal_age.png

Not trying to pick on down syndrome kids, but I recall that overall shape being pretty representative.  Graphs like that left me with the opinion that starting a family at about 30 and trying to finish it up by 35 would be the right way to go given our anticipated family size, and our desire to travel while young.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »

Or you could throw a DIY home-party and invite your friends...

MustacheCowboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
Had the snip last Sept. We waited 3 years after the birth of our 2nd kid to make sure we were done. We were concerned regarding how permenant it is, but after the procedure we felt relief not having to worry about BC or having a unexpected pregnancy. My insurance paid for the whole thing. Not one cent out of pocket! I think they would rather pay for this than have to cover additional offspring/births.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »
I had a friend who had two kids, wife left, he remarried, got unsnipped, had a third kid, then got resnipped.  I was impressed with his dedication.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
Personally, I thnk it woul d be funny if, after snippinig them, that some suregeon reconneted the spunkballs to some dude's fingers, or nose or omething. Not only would that lead to a hilarioust pregnancy... well, ok... it would only lead to a hilariuos pregnanc,

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »

We have a $1000 deductible, but this fell under a regular doctors visit.  So one copay for the consult, one copay for the procedure and a few bucks for the meds.  I speculate the insurance companies like paying for the procedure, because it is much cheaper than the alternative.  Give them a call and see what they would charge.  My docs sheet rate was $1,100, but aim sure I could have gotten him down to about half that if I had been paying cash.  I think MMM paid $600.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look into it under our current HDHP.  Office visits are paid in full by us (other than physicals and lady doctor visits annually.  BC pills are free, so maybe the snip snip will be too. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »
Mr FP's was totally free. I offered that if we had a third child, I could get my tubes tied during the c-section, but he declined that idea :-).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »
It's kinda sad that IUDs are almost unknown in the USA due to some bad ones ~40 years ago (1970s)

MrsTX got an IUD a year ago - cost us nothing out of pocket, and it works for 10 years. Effectiveness is about the same as a vasectomy. No pills to remember, no condoms, no hormones, no worries. Just some copper. Easily reversible - just have the doc pull it out. Heck, while it's not recommended, it looks pretty easy to do it yourself. You actually have to pay attention initially to make sure it isn't self-ejected - but that should be VERY noticeable, and a low likelihood.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
It's not ideal or cheap, but regarding reversibility or the lack thereof, they can always directly remove the sperm and use it for artificial insemination or IVF.  It's not like you're completely sterilizing yourself.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »
It's kinda sad that IUDs are almost unknown in the USA due to some bad ones ~40 years ago (1970s)

MrsTX got an IUD a year ago - cost us nothing out of pocket, and it works for 10 years. Effectiveness is about the same as a vasectomy. No pills to remember, no condoms, no hormones, no worries. Just some copper. Easily reversible - just have the doc pull it out. Heck, while it's not recommended, it looks pretty easy to do it yourself. You actually have to pay attention initially to make sure it isn't self-ejected - but that should be VERY noticeable, and a low likelihood.

I think these will become a lot more popular with the ACA--used to be that many people's insurance didn't cover them. Can be a good alternative to vasectomy if you're not 100% sure. The one without hormones, Paragard, is not quite as effective as vasectomy.

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »

There's no perfect solution, though.  A friend of mine is having a hysterectomy this month because her IUD became imbedded, can't be removed, and is therefore dangerous.  The only option left is major surgery.  Not the typical outcome, but obviously it can happen.  (Also, some IUDs are hormonal.)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:01 AM »
My question is, how long does it take to get past grimacing, gritting your teeth, and protectively clutching down there at the mere thought of it? I think any mention of the word "snip" will cause me to do all of the above for the rest of my life :/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:47:34 AM by Cwadda »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Yes, what Cwadda said.

Seeking reassurance here. I pretty much can't avoid this procedure next year. Part of my "deal" with my wife in which I quit working in 2014 is that I get snipped in 2015. Still think I make out extremely well overall, but still... how can such an innocuous word as "snip" induce such fear.

It may be, as my wife suggests, men are wimps. ;)

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »

I got pregnant with my paragard, which is why we ended up going with a vasectomy.  Gotta be honest, after 2 pregnancies that ended in c -section,  I didnt have a ton of sympathy for him.  At least not physically speaking.  I did understand that there is some emotional difficulty associated.   His was free,  courtesy of the navy.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »

I had my son a month before I turned 41.  My husband was 43.

How is he?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
We've waffled back and forth too much to do something permanent, but I'm pretty sure we're done. The snip will probably happen within next couple years, though I wonder how long I'd have to stay off the bike...

Friend of ours remarried, got a reversal, and then got snipped again. He said the reversal is like 10x the pain of the vasectomy, even the second one.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!