Author Topic: Got rid of Facebook  (Read 35109 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Got rid of Facebook
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2017, 07:03:22 AM »
I took the twitter app off of my phone. I notice that I get bored of facebook more easily at home, so it really seems to be improving my quality of life.

Are the missiles in the air yet?

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
Haven't gotten rid of my Facebook yet.  I'm around 500% gain on it since I bought it.  Admittedly I do think about selling it on occasion.

I reference FB info almost once a week.  Its how I find out if a trail/park is open or closed due to rain/events.  Some places just don't have independent websites.

Otherwise, its just a website to glean helpful info from time to time.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Don't hate it.  Don't love it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
I had two accounts. One that work seemed to be encouraging at one point. The other was a test account more or less - to see if I wanted to use Facebook. Alas I did not. Deleted it for reasons others have already detailed.

Its a time suck, I felt worse about myself, sucked seeing "friends" having fun who never call, boast and dash, everyone's "perfect life" (when I knew better), witnessing online ignorance or hatefulness by people I formerly respected or loved, etc.

Haven't logged into my work FB account in over a year. I'm glad they decided not to put as much energy in having all the employees there. And I don't mix work and personal life. Don't want the guy that sends something really off the wall and obnoxious to one of my bosses at work. ;)

We've encouraged older child to stay away from FB and they have. Second child is will very much be a social media consumer if allowed. Believes far too much of what they see online.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
How many of you have deleted all your FB data and closed your account, after the recent Facebook data scandal?

FWIW, I deleted my account in 2014. I work in IT/CyberSecurity and noticed a lot of constant privacy settings changes, tracking, profile matching going on. Decided to quit cold turkey despite all the "you'll miss out on all your friends and family updates".

Ha! Jokes on them. Most of my social circle lives within 30 minutes. I was tired of the photo album dumps, the constant likes, the wall feeds had become MLM and BS piss troughs, so I thought the best time to quit was last week, the 2nd best time would be right now.

Did it, don't regret it.

Here's something technical for y'all: https://blog.acolyer.org/2018/03/26/information-flow-reveals-prediction-limits-in-online-social-activity/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:27:53 AM by jinga nation »

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:42 AM »
I deactivated my FB account yesterday.  Honestly it feels like going cold turkey on drugs or losing 20 pounds.  I feel so much better.  No one in my circle posted anymore because of the security concerns (except one person, whose posts I was never actually interested in), and all that was in my news feed was crazy political stuff and news I can get elsewhere.  The only thing I will miss are some of the groups I belonged to.  I'm hoping to find something similar off FB. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
I deleted my account back in 2014. Only last year did I get a new account with very minimal amount of friends. The latest data sharing coupled with never really using the account made me decide to shut it down once and for all. I have no other social media accounts and prefer to keep it that way.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »
I check mine once every 2 weeks or so.  I should just shut it down.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
Yesterday I dowloaded the file from FB that contains" every data point they have on me" in a single zip file. I was shocked to see just how deep FB dug into my phone and scraped data/info from my non-FB apps that included my contacts telephone #s, names, etc. Frightening; this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Go d/l your full dataset now to see what theyve got on you.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
I want to do an experiment where I start talking loudly about products/services I don't actually need/want (and have never searched for) and see if ads start popping up on facebook or other sites for them.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
I feel as though if you delete FB because of this, you at least owe some people from the site real paper Christmas cards. Cause that's how we all USED to stay in touch.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
I feel as though if you delete FB because of this, you at least owe some people from the site real paper Christmas cards. Cause that's how we all USED to stay in touch.

Haha, I would think folks would be doing this with family and friends possibly anyway (although we never send Christmas Cards as it seems such a waste). I always rolled me eyes at people that had a thousands friends on there. I had less than 80 and knew everyone of them personally. 

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
I still have FB but it is very narrow.  I have a very few “friends” and am a member of a few groups that I get value out of.  I also use it for my side hustle but that’s it.  I’m on FB maybe 10 min a day.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
I still have FB but it is very narrow.  I have a very few “friends” and am a member of a few groups that I get value out of.  I also use it for my side hustle but that’s it.  I’m on FB maybe 10 min a day.

Same here...a couple groups is the ONLY thing that interests me in the slightest on FB anymore. 

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
So I mentioned here that I deactivated my FB account a couple of days ago ... today I started getting push notifications on my phone about my friends' activity on FB.  Mmmm the siren song of FB push notifications. 

I deleted the FB app from my phone.  There! Problem solved!

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Good idea to dump the app. The app's ability to access the microphone, at its will, has been an ongoing discussion in privacy. Beyond Facebook's marketing initiative, facial recognition software, and data mining, they are nothing more than a big business selling your data.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
So I mentioned here that I deactivated my FB account a couple of days ago ... today I started getting push notifications on my phone about my friends' activity on FB.  Mmmm the siren song of FB push notifications. 

I deleted the FB app from my phone.  There! Problem solved!
You deactivated the account. That simply means your account is dormant, and FB still has your data.
The FB app, especially on Android smartphones, records your call data and much more. But of course this was in the T&C users agreed to. While not illegal, it is being debated about being ethical and moral. If corporations are people, they should stick to the same morals that civilized humans conform to.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
I did it. I completely deleted my facebook account.

#deletefacebook

ePalmtrees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
Good for all of you.. I still go on there more than I'd like to. One thing you can do if you want to be on a specific group is bookmark that group's page and then just go to that url instead of facebook.com, basically bypassing possibly getting sucked into the feed like it is designed to suck you in..

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
I deleted the app off my phone, but still have my account as I'm an admin for the local bike trail system advocacy group. Log in via the desktop once and awhile or when I need to publish something (but I can also use Hootsuite for that, so... really.) Never been happier.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
I deleted the app off my phone, but still have my account as I'm an admin for the local bike trail system advocacy group. Log in via the desktop once and awhile or when I need to publish something (but I can also use Hootsuite for that, so... really.) Never been happier.

I am thinking of doing this (deleting the app and only going desktop)... noticing the time suck on the phone is huge.

Turned off most notifications and went through the settings and ad preferences and turned as much as I could off. Sick feeling inside that some apps that I deleted long ago were still getting access to my data because Facebook was logged into the profiles :(

Evil bastards ruling the universe. There are no ads for frugality, so I'm simply getting a lot of ads for running events now.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2018, 05:19:35 AM »
I joined the club yesterday and deactivated my account. I've left probably a dozen times but always end up back in. Hoping this is the last time!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2018, 05:28:59 AM »
I joined the club yesterday and deactivated my account. I've left probably a dozen times but always end up back in. Hoping this is the last time!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Good luck! I've also left and come back in the past many of times. This last time I've made it stick though. It's been about 5 months now and don't really miss it much. However I was never one to post much, more of a lurker but I still checked it far to often.

scottydog

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
I'm in. I just deactivated my account. I'm in some great groups, deleted the app from my phone, and had installed the news feed blocker extension, but it was way too tempting to check FB compulsively any time I got the least bit bored.

CintranGhola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Joined the club! Facebook deleted! I've deactivated twice before but ended up reactivating for really no good reason.

My next goal is Instagram, which will be a bit more difficult for me

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
I'm in. I just deactivated my account. I'm in some great groups, deleted the app from my phone, and had installed the news feed blocker extension, but it was way too tempting to check FB compulsively any time I got the least bit bored.

If you are going to keep your FB account, I think having it off of your phone can help you gradually wean yourself off of it ( because..lets face it...FB is an addiction for some ).   

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Oh yeah, I did that, deleted Facebook, Twitter and Instagram off my phone. I still have my Facebook account because most of my friends use it to organize events. So I will log in, right before I head out, to make sure something isn't cancelled, or to look up information about an event.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2018, 06:52:43 AM »
I agree (from personal experience) that the difference between using it on phone and using it on a desktop is substantial. I used to be so much happier in the desktop-only days.

Chip Stacker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FI by 2025
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2018, 07:03:22 AM »
This post inspired me to take a FB break about three months ago. My wife and I agreed to do it together and only check it on the first of each month. She was weak and broke down in about 3 days. For me, it was the best thing I've ever done since quitting cigarettes.

Unfortunately, my new free time has been taken up by YouTube. I go down these rabbit holes that usually last for a week at a time. Last week I was planning the Pacific Crest Trail, and this week, I'm looking into micro-dosing with psychedelics. Luckily, my plan to FIRE in 2025 is not just a phase!

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2018, 01:45:22 AM »
This post inspired me to take a FB break about three months ago. My wife and I agreed to do it together and only check it on the first of each month. She was weak and broke down in about 3 days. For me, it was the best thing I've ever done since quitting cigarettes.

Unfortunately, my new free time has been taken up by YouTube. I go down these rabbit holes that usually last for a week at a time. Last week I was planning the Pacific Crest Trail, and this week, I'm looking into micro-dosing with psychedelics. Luckily, my plan to FIRE in 2025 is not just a phase!
On a related note, I use YouTube a lot to check construction techniques, tool reviews, electronics or math self ed or best practices for woodwork and all that...
Until last week, the “suggested” videos were quite pertinent and usefull.
Howether, since last Saturday, YouTube has decided to bombard me with lifestyle vlogs and streaming video games - both of which have far less interest to me than pear production in 1700’s Yorkshire.
It seems that no amount of clicking “not interested” will change this.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »

On a related note, I use YouTube a lot to check construction techniques, tool reviews, electronics or math self ed or best practices for woodwork and all that...
Until last week, the “suggested” videos were quite pertinent and usefull.
Howether, since last Saturday, YouTube has decided to bombard me with lifestyle vlogs and streaming video games - both of which have far less interest to me than pear production in 1700’s Yorkshire.
It seems that no amount of clicking “not interested” will change this.
I agree. Same with me, I watch a bunch of videos on fixing cars and DIY/Home improvement. Now YouTurnTube is all about strategically placed Audi ad-videos. "Not Interested" don't work.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2018, 09:49:54 AM »
How many more of y'all are quitting now that FB has admitted to selling info to phone manufacturers?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/05/facebook_device_data/

http://fortune.com/2018/06/06/facebook-data-phone-china-huawei-congress/

Huawei was founded by a former People’s Liberation Army engineer called Ren Zhengfei, and its overseas expansion has been largely funded by lines of credit from state-owned Chinese banks. Neither of these facts is particularly unusual for a Chinese company, but they have certainly fed into a perception that Huawei, like ZTE, is not to be trusted.

drachma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
I have a large proportion of friends that primarily use FB as a way to communicate as well as plan events.

You can deactivate and still maintain messenger usage, but you can't delete. I tried deactivating but found it was harder to coordinate with my people. So I was getting value from it that way. I reactivated and came up with another solution -

Most of my friends don't post very much and basically I have "unfollowed" every person I don't keep in touch with any more or anyone who posts annoying things. So now facebook for me is a glorified contacts list and group chat application. I unfollowed people and pages to the point that there is so little content I don't have much of that addictive impulse to endlessly scroll - it's all nothing I really care about and in 2 seconds I am already back to the posts from yesterday. I never thought I could beat that urge without deleting completely, but it worked.

DealingWithDreams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:03 AM »
Around 99% of my professional colleagues are on fb, and my field is very "cliquish" (i.e., childish). The past 2-3 years, I've given in and responded to and accepted friend requests, however lately, I do regret not separating work from personal more...but it seems I am the only one who feels weird about the blurred lines????

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
Around 99% of my professional colleagues are on fb, and my field is very "cliquish" (i.e., childish). The past 2-3 years, I've given in and responded to and accepted friend requests, however lately, I do regret not separating work from personal more...but it seems I am the only one who feels weird about the blurred lines????
I’m with you! I believe LinkedIn should be used for professional contacts while Facebook should be reserved for family and friends.

And just today I unfriended a bunch of current and former Facebook friends I used to work with. The reason I did it — I became upset after seeing photos of two former colleagues that appear to be dating, and were previously married to other people.

I spent way too much time researching to determine when they divorced their former spouses. And I wasted way to much brain power trying to recall how much I spent on wedding and baby shower gifts when the female former colleague first got married ~5 years ago. And then I got upset when I thought about how this relationship was likely brewing back when we all worked together and how my former female colleague  likely received preferential treatment from our boss at the time (her now current boyfriend) because he had a crush on her.........you get the idea. This stuff is not worth my time! So congrats to those that deleted Facebook!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:32:34 PM by frozen »

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
Deleted Facebook 5 years ago and never looked back.  I don't miss it at all.

I have a hard time getting rid of Twitter.  There are a lot of fun jokes to read, but a lot of horrible news that is not great for my mental health (not to mention what a time suck it is).

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »
I did it. I completely deleted my facebook account.

#deletefacebook

^^^Haha!!! I see what you did there.

I need to unfollow some people. Seems most of my fb friends have also become weary of the bullshit though, and don't post as much. I do like seeing pics of kids of family members who don't live close.

I do enjoy looking back at my posts and pics over the years, though. Wonderful memories. It's like I had a diary. Someone should invent an online diary where you can also post pics....or maybe they already have?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:32:46 AM by esq »

dylanjohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »
I only have the facebook messenger app on my phone which nowadays is one of the most common technological form of communication which I am ok with (bonus perk is it's "free" to use unlike text/talk under my phone service).  I only connect under wifi on my phone which I have access to at work and home. It has a video chatting feature too which is cool.

As for the actual website of facebook, I occasionally go on and scroll through the wall which I regret oftentimes lol. I do enjoy seeing how people are doing and seeing pics of them and their family. Also sometimes things on there make me laugh or learn something interesting. The downside is the amount of trash you have to go through :/

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »

I got rid of TV and I've had the same result ... YouTube. But, if you look at the videos I'm watching, I'm usually learning something, or getting some info about a new technology or adventure. So in all still a positive switch.

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
I know what Zuckerberg is doing.  He is trying to establish Facebook as an essential utility and make it a de facto service to which we are all bound. 

To hell with Facebook, not doing it. It's 99% puerile shit anyway, why compromise net neutrality for the sake of a pile of puerile shit?  There are plenty of ways for people to use the internet and the web to stay in touch without having to kiss the backside of a giant corporation and wade through piles of sewage.

Zuckerberg is a megalomaniac who is trying to own the www and there are too many suckers in the world helping him to do it. The web should be free and open.  Their whole business model depends on them being a surveillance machine, which is the only reason I need to give it a wide berth.

Facebook is not "free" it is costing society dearly.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:45:51 PM by happyuk »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
I know what Zuckerberg is doing.  He is trying to establish Facebook as an essential utility and make it a de facto service to which we are all bound. 

He already has succeeded there....

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »

I never wasted my time registering for Facebook.

happyuk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Software and IT recipes
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2019, 03:02:56 AM »
In 2019 it shouldn’t be necessary to load one app to message one person, then load another app to message someone else and a third app etc. That’s just ridiculous.

This is the reason that despite all the features and extra functionality, these apps are inferior to the old fashioned generic protocols, POP3, SMTP and even SMS.

The same applies to social media, I should be able to choose one but still share content across people who have chosen another.  Some of the free-thinking ideals of the internet and web are already badly eroded by the.likes of Zuckerberg.

If the web and web communications becomes owned by one or two corporate entities then the web is properly screwed.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2019, 05:56:37 AM »
I just recently deleted my Facebook account completely. All the people I wanted to interact with weren't on much anymore so I felt like I was just screaming into the void. It took over a month before anyone noticed I wasn't on there anymore. It was also kind of depressing to find out someone you thought was a decent person is constantly posting inflammatory political posts or believes in pseudoscience bullshit. I was blocking a lot of people I didn't want to unfriend out of politeness, but I also didn't want to open up Facebook and be treated to a post telling me I'm an asshole for my political stance or the evils of fluoridated water and vaccination. I also don't think Facebook is doing enough to prevent it from being misused by nation states for election meddling, spreading disinformation, and stoking ethnic tensions.

I liked it for keeping up with what the local and National Park System. It made it easy to find out about events and closures from weather or maintenance. I liked it for sharing photos. When people were using it for more than just reposting meme's or political rhetoric, it was fun to find out what old classmates were doing.

I can't say I've gained back a ton of time from deleting my account. My usage was declining over the last couple of years anyways. I also didn't fall into the trap of logging in to certain services using my Facebook account, so I didn't feel obliged to keep it open so I could log in to other websites or services. It has brought back some of the spontaneity to conversations with people I speak with in real life more frequently. When I was on Facebook, I already saw vacation photos or heard about some big news from their personal life before I actually saw them in person.  I feel like I have more to talk about with those people now since I don't know exactly what they did before they are about to tell me about it.

mikemustang

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »
Funny timing to bring back this topic. I deactivated my account a few weeks ago for the same reasons noted previously. Too much advertising and too many politically charged topics for me and it simply was no longer enjoyable or contributing positively in any way toward my my mental health or hapiness. Since leaving I don't miss it at all. Not a single person has contacted me or asked me why I left and that is likely because nobody has noticed.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2019, 08:10:34 AM »
I only have the facebook messenger app on my phone which nowadays is one of the most common technological form of communication which I am ok with (bonus perk is it's "free" to use unlike text/talk under my phone service).  I only connect under wifi on my phone which I have access to at work and home. It has a video chatting feature too which is cool.

As for the actual website of facebook, I occasionally go on and scroll through the wall which I regret oftentimes lol. I do enjoy seeing how people are doing and seeing pics of them and their family. Also sometimes things on there make me laugh or learn something interesting. The downside is the amount of trash you have to go through :/

I like this idea.  I was thinking about how to get rid of Facebook but it's so integrated with many things.  Just deleting the app on my phone would work wonders.  Occasionally hop on when I'm on the desktop and scroll through but getting out of the terrible opening the Facebook app habit would be amazing.

I have also started unfollowing a ton of friends, groups, pages, etc.  That way when I open Facebook, I don't get all the political crap and other nonsense.  I really just like Facebook to interact with close friends and family.  I don't need to view that every 30 minutes.

The issue is that even people whom I generally want to see what they post on their wall - even when they comment on something random, it pops up in my feed.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
Hmmm, seems you're just the group to ask. Your timing is impeccable, of course. First, I eschew social media of most kinds, including FB, IG, TW and LI. I dabble with and dislike Pinterest and Houzz. I peek at them occasionally, because DH and I are flipping a house. I will be staging it on a shoestring budget. Currently, I'm doing this via NextDoor, but I do not have the app installed on my phone. It's been suggested FB Marketplace is similarly useful and I find myself tempted. I abhor advertising of all kinds and value my privacy. No purchase tracking or survey sites for me either. I fucking hate when I search for something on Amazon, then get ads for whatever it was from them afterwards.

Is there a way to just use FBM? I suspect it's still a Pandora's Box, but figured you guys are the folks who would know.  Thanks.

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »
Yes, you can use just FBM.  Google how to do it, not difficult.

Severian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
I got rid of Facebook a while back (while they were trying to hire me for a ton of money, ironically, and I was saying "I don't like you and you don't have enough money to make me work for you.") But now I'm thinking about moving to Mexico and every useful expat forum is on Facebook. Sigh.   

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »
I get quite a bit of utility out of Facebook. It's the only way I keep up with a few family members; I use it for a local board game group; and I get a lot of utility out of the ChooseFI groups (more so than here even). I definitely could benefit from deleting Imgur and Twitter though.

Severian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
I get quite a bit of utility out of Facebook. It's the only way I keep up with a few family members; I use it for a local board game group; and I get a lot of utility out of the ChooseFI groups (more so than here even). I definitely could benefit from deleting Imgur and Twitter though.

That, I think, is precisely the problem with Facebook. I don't trust the site at all, but because so many people get utility from it I am almost forced to use it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!