Author Topic: Got my water bill down to the minimum!!!  (Read 4911 times)

ace1224

• Bristles
Got my water bill down to the minimum!!!
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
I'm so pumped! I am cranky that there is in fact a minimum charge of 66.34 no matter if you turn on the water or not the whole month but I did bring it down 20 dollars and have kept it down since discovering MMM.  I am now on a quest to use exactly 66.34 dollars worth of water and figure out exactly how many gallons i have to play with, since I'm going to be charged for it and all.

*this does include water/sewer/trash pick up. 

MrSaturday

• Stubble
Re: Got my water bill down to the minimum!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
Wow I can't imagine how nuts I'd have to go with the water to get to your minimum charge.  When I use a lot on the lawn I barely break $40.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Yikes!  I get annoyed on the rare occasion when we use extra water and our water bill is higher than our normal $16!

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
Guess it depends where you live and what the water rates are.

I have a Darwinian philosophy when it comes to yard care.  If it can't survive on it's own after established then it does not belong in my yard.  I have never watered my grass and it has adapted accordingly rooting deeply and going dormant during the summer. 

Thinking about it, my yard gets the same treatment as MMM's latest post
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/03/28/the-incomparable-advantage-of-having-to-work-for-what-you-get/
Once a plant is an adult, it needs to earn it's own way in life. :)

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »
Guess it depends where you live and what the water rates are.

I have a Darwinian philosophy when it comes to yard care.  If it can't survive on it's own after established then it does not belong in my yard.  I have never watered my grass and it has adapted accordingly rooting deeply and going dormant during the summer. 

Thinking about it, my yard gets the same treatment as MMM's latest post
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/03/28/the-incomparable-advantage-of-having-to-work-for-what-you-get/
Once a plant is an adult, it needs to earn it's own way in life. :)
yeah you get charged for a minimum of 2000 gallons no matter what, and same for sewer (which for some reason is separate from water) included in the bill is 18 dollars worth of trash pick up since i live in city limits, outside of the city your bill is lower but you have to pay for private trash pick up.

Skyn_Flynt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:52 PM »
My water bill has fixed charges for access to the water system and an "impervious surface" charge for storm water runoff. plus the actual usage.

A CCF is "100 cubic foot of water" or 748 gallons.

I used to use 4 CCF a month, I've gotten it down to 1 or 2 now. But yeah, every once in a while I succeed in preventing the meter from moving one CCF increment and all I paid was fixed charges.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:17:54 PM by Skyn_Flynt »

directionseeker

• Stubble
    • Let's Retire!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
I can't say I feel your pain, pal. I rent a room with landlord in the house so I never see the water bill every month.

Anyway, good luck on find a way to fully utilize your water usage.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
Ok. . .this thread motivated me. SO, I'm stepping it up:

• I just installed 0.5GPM aerators for all of the bathroom faucets (going down from 1.5gpm)
  • I just installed 1.5GPM showerhead to replace a 2.5 GPM showerhead
  • I'm going to install some pipe insulation in my crawl space to ensure hot water gets to the tap faster since I know that people will run the water to get hot water.

Any other tips? I've checked my toilets for leaks (none) and I'm hoping to install some rainwater barrels to help on that front (I just planted 4 fruit trees so I've got a while before they are established).

EDIT: I misread my utility bill and my previous usage - there is no minimum in my area and I've been using 4-5 CCF ever 60 days not every month! But still, I'm pushing to lower it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:45:09 PM by slugsworth »