Author Topic: Got my internet bill cut in 1/3  (Read 9875 times)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Got my internet bill cut in 1/3
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »
This is probably not that exciting, but Comcast was increasing my cable bill from $60 to $90 a month after some promotion expired. I called them up, and a very nice lady downgraded my internet speed (from insanely fast to ridiculously fast, I think - no difference I've noticed watching video online). Also, she gave me a promotional rate for 6 months so it's only $30 a month (otherwise $60). My plan is to downgrade again at that time to the $30 bare-bones speed (which is what it used to be 5 years ago...). Has anyone had similar luck? Does anyone know if there is any real difference between these connection speeds?

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Got my internet bill cut in 1/3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
My roommate is way too nonconfrontational to talk with Mediacom and it's only $40 (split 3 ways) for our internet. Unfortunately, that account is in his name.

If I was paying that much by myself I'd be all over them calling to get a lower rate.

such is life...

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
My promotional rate just expired. My 50 Mbps connection went up to $75 after taxes and junk. Way too much for just getting online and Netflix. I noticed it was $65/mo and a $10 "Blast" charge, I don't know wtf that is. I logged into the account and went into chat, asking them to lower me to the "Performance" package without that $10 Blast charge. The new package is 20Mbps and will be just fine for Netflix.

The rep inside the chat said it was $65/mo but I noticed later on the website the package was $53.95 ($12 less), so I went to do the downgrade online, it then forced me into the chat again.. the rep told me the previous agent had switched me into that package and it was $29.95 for the first year and then $65 after that.

So, I basically saved us either $420 or $540 for the year depending on you look at it. Next year I'll ask for a deal again or threaten to cancel and see if I can't get on a promo rate every year.

Verdo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »
My roommate is way too nonconfrontational to talk with Mediacom and it's only $40 (split 3 ways) for our internet. Unfortunately, that account is in his name.

If I was paying that much by myself I'd be all over them calling to get a lower rate.

such is life...

Had my Mediacom promotion expire just last week, went from 65 to 115.  Just called them up and had them renew the 2 year contract which bumped me down to around 45 per month for the 1st year and 60 for the 2nd. Saved 70 a month, saves 840 the first year and 660 the 2nd year.  Didn't have to complain, got exactly what I wanted and I think cutting out the BS made the customer service agent happy as well.. was pain free for everyone.

MA_Mom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
This thread inspired me! I'd cancelled TV and landline phone six months ago, when the promo deal ended, but I was still paying $75/month for just internet. After an hour and a half on the phone and online chat, I got Comcast to drop my bill by $35 a month for the next twelve months. It's not a permanent solution, but it'll help for now. :-)

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
I've been getting promotional discounts for years and years. Every time one ends, I just call up and ask for another. Sometimes the promotions last a year, sometimes 6 months. I refuse to pay full price at this point. :)

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
I've been getting promotional discounts for years and years. Every time one ends, I just call up and ask for another. Sometimes the promotions last a year, sometimes 6 months. I refuse to pay full price at this point. :)

We just finished our promo period and I called expecting to have little trouble getting it restored.  They wouldn't budge.  I have always lived in larger cities with more competition so I was surprised.  I ended up dropping the land line out of the bundle and scaling back to a basic cable package. 

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »

We just finished our promo period and I called expecting to have little trouble getting it restored.  They wouldn't budge.  I have always lived in larger cities with more competition so I was surprised.  I ended up dropping the land line out of the bundle and scaling back to a basic cable package.

yikes! There isn't a whole lot of competition around here, so they might try to pull something like this one day. I guess I should prepare myself, mentally, that one day they might cut me off of the rotating discounts....

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »
The next big thing is the DW and I can cut the cable completely!  We are edging closer.

unix_kung_fu

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
It's not a permanent solution, but it'll help for now. :-)

You'll be able to do this every year! They need to retain subscribers! Wall Street demands and expects it!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
So I didn't get my internet bill cut down that drastically... but I did have a small success yesterday.

I live in Austin, TX, and Google Fiber is supposed to start rolling out soon. Because of this, the other ISPs have been throwing around promotional rates and increasing speeds frantically to retain customers.

My internet service is through Time Warner Cable. My previous plan was 20Mbps DL speed for $75/mon. TWC is upgrading my internet speed (at no cost) to 100Mbps (!!!). The issue is that I own my own cable modem, and my modem isn't rated for 100Mbps speeds. I would have to purchase a new modem (~$85) in order to get that insane DL speed.

My solution: I called TWC and asked to downgrade my service one level. Now, I get 50Mbps for $65/mon.

tl;dr: I'm saving $10/mon and my internet speed more than doubled. Woo!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »
I do this too and it always works. Whenever you complain about your bill they magically have some kind of discount they can give you. Often they tell me the discount does not extend my contract. I always ask about that because I keep track of when the contracts for various services are up. I would love to see some numbers on how many people bother to do this. My theory is that most people just go with whatever the bill says and don't gripe. I think if the majority of the people complained the discounts would be harder to get.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »
I've tried to get ours lowered, but they won't budge. $52.99/mo after taxes and whatnot for internet only. BUT, we're getting ready to move and (before the chat rep realized we were current customers) was offering us super blazing fast internet for $39.99/mo. I was all set to do it and then the rep found out we were current customers. BOOM. "We can transfer your current service." I asked for promos or a reduction in our bill, but no dice. I said that I would cancel our internet and then sign up again as a new customer. Rep said "you have to be a non customer for 30 days to qualify and you will have to pay the $29 activation fee."

So basically, we're probably going to not have internet for 30 days. Ugh.

bonjourliz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »
Charter won't drop ours below $52.99 either.  Our only other option is uverse, which our neighbors seem to have bad luck with.  And last I checked it was more expensive.  Google Fiber is supposed to be coming here next year -- I am hopeful!  Some competition would be great.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »
Charter won't drop ours below $52.99 either.  Our only other option is uverse, which our neighbors seem to have bad luck with.  And last I checked it was more expensive.  Google Fiber is supposed to be coming here next year -- I am hopeful!  Some competition would be great.

Heh. I guess I'm glad I'm not alone. We were thinking of switching to ATT b/c it was cheaper BUT you gotta buy their $100 gateway. That defeats my purpose. If we cancel Charter, wait 30 days, and then sign up again, over 12 months we will save right around $100. ATT would negate that savings. And ATT is a lot slower than Charter. I don't think we're on the map for Fiber any time soon.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Heh. I guess I'm glad I'm not alone. We were thinking of switching to ATT b/c it was cheaper BUT you gotta buy their $100 gateway. That defeats my purpose. If we cancel Charter, wait 30 days, and then sign up again, over 12 months we will save right around $100. ATT would negate that savings. And ATT is a lot slower than Charter. I don't think we're on the map for Fiber any time soon.
No, you DON'T have to use AT&T's gateway.  You can (or should be able to) bring your own DSL modem.

AT&T, as bad as their reputation is, has actually been really good on this point for us.  We've had them for over 3 years now, and every time I call up at the end of a promotion period, I have absolutely zero issue getting on another one.  Just did it today, in fact.  We were paying about $25/mo for 6 months, and hopped over to the $27/mo promotion.  No arguments, no rudeness, just friendly and helpful customer service reps.  Whodathunk.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
No, you DON'T have to use AT&T's gateway.  You can (or should be able to) bring your own DSL modem.

AT&T, as bad as their reputation is, has actually been really good on this point for us.  We've had them for over 3 years now, and every time I call up at the end of a promotion period, I have absolutely zero issue getting on another one.  Just did it today, in fact.  We were paying about $25/mo for 6 months, and hopped over to the $27/mo promotion.  No arguments, no rudeness, just friendly and helpful customer service reps.  Whodathunk.

Oh yeah? I will look into that. I'd totally love a cut in half internet bill. Thanks!

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:28:57 PM »
usually used to call uverse and just tell them im quitting and then theyd start throwing me great deals. It never works anymore :-(. 50$/month isn't so bad though, considering i dont buy tv service at all

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 07:35:15 PM »
AT&T is coming out to my apartment this week to see if they can somehow wire me up. Comcast is charging me $90/month and won't reduce - I can't wait to drop them.

Yes, this is Silicon Valley, home of the computer revolution.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »
I have Time Warner Cable.  If you call and ask to sign up for a 1-year promo, you typically get a 25-40% reduction on their standard speed rate - no negotiation necessary.  In addition, last year I was signed up as a "new customer" and received a $150 gift card.  I've been a customer for 6 years so that was a nice bonus.

Also, make sure you aren't paying the $7ish modem rental fee each month and buy your own.  Didn't know until a year ago that I was paying this fee.  Bought a modem and saved myself and on-going $84/year. 

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
I have Century Link DSL 3mbps. Sure it's slower than continental drift but works ok for us, even streaming videos online. (We don't have netflix or anything like that.) I'm paying $26/mo for a year right now. I have to call them every 6 months or a year (depending on the last promo deal I got) to ask for another promo deal. Sometimes I have to try talking to a few different people at Century Link before I find one that really wants to help me find a better price. I usually pay $25-30/mo for my service. I don't have cable (use local antenna-free) or landline (Obihai and Google Voice-free).

The simple modem/router I use is cheap and plentiful. I found one on craigslist for $5, then I found another at a yard sale for $1. So I have a backup modem if one quits on me. I know how to reset a used modem for my ISP.

neurotrp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:04 PM »
Thanks this inspired me.  Just got off the phone with Comcast and negotiate roughly $25 off the monthly bill!