Author Topic: Got my housing cost down to $400, health up.  (Read 1093 times)

Jonno1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Got my housing cost down to $400, health up.
« on: March 19, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
I bailed out of the Bay Area after the last recession.  (I'd spent $200K in 2007 dollars) on a toxic  4 year money pit renovation another $100K on mortgage for an unlivable space while I was fixing it DIY and got so stressed out living in the chaos and the money stress that I got sick too, really exhausted then the recession hit.  I had $500K of mortgage debt on it at the time. A month after I sold it, it dropped in value $300K.  I sold it at break even (nothing for the 4 years of work) limped out of the Bay Area,  went to Portland and lived with roomates (too depressing and weird)  Ashland ( nice place but a bit spendy) and eventually bought a $135K house in CA North State putting half down on a 15 year 3% mortgage ($625 a month) that I've fixed up in a bit at a time for the last 6 years (no more debt) into a beautiful zen space mountain cabin with a woodstove.  Installed solar with my Dad with panels and racks from wholesale (unbound) solar ($7K for the whole system) and have no electric bill for 6 months each year.  Put up a 12' yurt (119 square feet so technically a shed - no permit necessary) in the yard for $12K that I can power with a removeable 20 amp extension cord and a tiny hobbit wood stove and now have another bay area refugee (Santa Cruz fire) living in it with his dog and paying $250 a month in rent.  He's a great builder and is helping me finish my ADU that I'm designing and building myself with all the trade skills I learned (electric/plumbing carpentry/timber framing etc) and will live in and rent the house.  I earn $60K a year in contracted (guaranteed) income from a self-employed IT business  that I built while I was too exhausted to get a job and also do handyman/carpentry projects around town and my entire yearly housing cost is now $4,800 per year and It'll be paid off in 5 years.   12 years ago I had an out of rhythm heart, chronic fatigue and a repetitive stress injury and a $1700 rent.  This year I climbed mount Shasta and back-country ski for free!  Perseverance is the name of the game.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Got my housing cost down to $400, health up.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 05:13:52 PM »
Congratulations! What a way to remodel your life!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 05:48:35 AM »
I bailed out of the Bay Area after the last recession.  (I'd spent $200K in 2007 dollars) on a toxic  4 year money pit renovation another $100K on mortgage for an unlivable space while I was fixing it DIY and got so stressed out living in the chaos and the money stress that I got sick too, really exhausted then the recession hit.  I had $500K of mortgage debt on it at the time. A month after I sold it, it dropped in value $300K.  I sold it at break even (nothing for the 4 years of work) limped out of the Bay Area,  went to Portland and lived with roomates (too depressing and weird)  Ashland ( nice place but a bit spendy) and eventually bought a $135K house in CA North State putting half down on a 15 year 3% mortgage ($625 a month) that I've fixed up in a bit at a time for the last 6 years (no more debt) into a beautiful zen space mountain cabin with a woodstove.  Installed solar with my Dad with panels and racks from wholesale (unbound) solar ($7K for the whole system) and have no electric bill for 6 months each year.  Put up a 12' yurt (119 square feet so technically a shed - no permit necessary) in the yard for $12K that I can power with a removeable 20 amp extension cord and a tiny hobbit wood stove and now have another bay area refugee (Santa Cruz fire) living in it with his dog and paying $250 a month in rent.  He's a great builder and is helping me finish my ADU that I'm designing and building myself with all the trade skills I learned (electric/plumbing carpentry/timber framing etc) and will live in and rent the house.  I earn $60K a year in contracted (guaranteed) income from a self-employed IT business  that I built while I was too exhausted to get a job and also do handyman/carpentry projects around town and my entire yearly housing cost is now $4,800 per year and It'll be paid off in 5 years.   12 years ago I had an out of rhythm heart, chronic fatigue and a repetitive stress injury and a $1700 rent.  This year I climbed mount Shasta and back-country ski for free!  Perseverance is the name of the game.

You cited 100K worth of expenses on mortgage for 4 years. You then stated that you broke even. Does this mean that you lived for free for four years in the Bay Area?

It seems like you didn't like your first renovation. Now you like your second renovation? What's the difference?

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
It's a great story, thanks for sharing it.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »
Impressive. Most impressive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!