Author Topic: Got my dream job - In-house Architect for Tumbleweed Tiny Houses  (Read 14325 times)

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
    • Heartland House Project Blog
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce that I'm not retiring - YET - but that I've just accepted an offer to work for Tumbleweed Tiny House company, as their in-house architect and design team lead! Many of you know of Tumbleweed, and I can tell you that as I was interviewing they are just as genuine and excited about better ways of living as MMM and this community.

We'll be moving to a very expensive part of the country to take this job (Northern California) so it will put our mustachian ways to the test. I think we are up for the challenge!

If you have never seen or heard of Tumbleweed, you can check out their website here: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Sunflower

• Stubble
Re: Got my dream job - In-house Architect for Tumbleweed Tiny Houses
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
Congrats!!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
That's amazing, congrats! Nor Cal may not be the most mustachian place to live, but it's nevertheless one of the very best places to live, in my heavily biased opinion!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Very cool! I love looking at the designs for tiny houses, looking forward to see all the various ways tumbleweed can design a tiny house!  My wife and I talk about living in a tiny house when the kids move out.

It certainly helps that you are making a move there and can design a mustachian lifestyle from the start, rather than living there with a non-mustachian lifestyle and having to make a bunch of changes.  Good luck!

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
I love tumbleweed houses!  I think it will be interesting to get an insider's perspective as to what the design process it like, assuming they will let you share.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Totally excellent!

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
I will certainly share, if I am allowed. I think they intend to have me write some blog posts or have the staff writer write some things about what I do. I have one new design that they will be releasing soon, so stay tuned to the Tumbleweed website to see that. I have about 1,000 other ideas bouncing around in my head!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
Nice! Congrats on the new job... it's kinda cool seeing one of our own in the community take on a job with such a philosophically compatible company like this.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
Does this mean you're selling the house?? I'm excited for you, but I've been SO enjoying the progress of seeing it come together at your blog!!

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:37 PM »
Congrats!! I love tumbleweed!!!  What a great way to earn a living and encourage mustachianism!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
There's a ton of cheap land around Sonoma.  It's all farms.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
I've been a fan of their stuff for quite awhile!  Awesome, and congrats!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
Yay! Congratulations!!

kt

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
how exciting, what a great company to work for! congrats!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
How neat! Congrats.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »
Congrats - but I have the same question about the fate of Heartland House!  :)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
Huzzah! That's awesome! :)

What's gonna happen with your Heartland house? I liked reading your updates!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
Nice one.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 04:06:56 AM »
Wonderful!  I love their designs.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »
Does this mean you're selling the house?? I'm excited for you, but I've been SO enjoying the progress of seeing it come together at your blog!!

Yes, this!

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »
Thanks for all of the support, guys! I have to keep pinching myself to believe that it's real.

As for Heartland House... well, we are still working out the details. Essentially, we are going to try to finish it between my last day at my current job and the day I start with Tumbleweed. I specifically asked for 2 months from the time they gave me an offer and when I start because HH was on my mind. My last day is the 22nd of January, and I start with Tumbleweed on the first week of March. So that gives us roughly 5 weeks to work like crazy on HH and possibly even hire a bit of the work done (I'm thinking the roof in January is more than I want to do). If we don't get it completely finished but we do get it liveable by the time we leave it's possible that some friends of ours will be willing to rent it at a reduced rate for a while. Or, we will sell it to anyone who wants to finish the flip and brings a reasonable offer.

I'll be posting a more detailed explanation on the blog sometime tonight, so check back there for more details!

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
Whoa! Neat and Congrats!! Hope to see more thoughtful and adorable cottages around 600 square feet from Tumbleweed. *hint*hint* ;)

Sunflower

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Whoa! Neat and Congrats!! Hope to see more thoughtful and adorable cottages around 600 square feet from Tumbleweed. *hint*hint* ;)

Yes! There seems to be a lack of them in the 500-700 sq ft range which is the size home I'm currently dreaming about.

Woolie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
Wonderful news!

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »
Haha, yes, I have some work to do when I get there. I found out that the initial designs were done by an artist, not an architect, and therefore some are not as functional as I would like to see them. So I'll be making some changes there.

And thanks for the feedback on your wishes and dreams. 500-700 sq ft...it's on my list now!

What else do you want in your dream house? I'll take any feedback you guys want to share. :-)

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Congratulations! Now I'll add my voice to the din asking for 500-700sq. foot plans.

"Dream home"? Does that mean it doesn't have to be reasonable? 'cuz I have no idea how realistic these requests are. I'll just go and ask for full passive solar. (I'd pay the customization fee to fit to local climate, of course.) How about options for whole-timber construction? I know where I can get tree trunks cheap. (Actually, whole timbers are awesome-- 3x the strength of milled lumber, and much less waste and embodied energy. It's just kinda hard to work with.)

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 06:03:10 AM »
First of all, mega-congrats!! It's so cool to get a dream job of any sort!!

Second, I've been a fan of your project and blog which has been great so I'm excited to follow you!!

Third, my partner and I are working towards finding land with a mountain view to build two tumbleweeds: one for us in the range we're mentioning on this thread (you can go up to 750-800) ESP if we can have a br on the main floor and a wee mud "room") -  a fab front porch for mountain watching will be great!!! We'll build a second small one to rent.

Omg. Omg. Omg. I'm so excited to "know" a MMM who's working at Tumbleweed!   We'll volunteer to be the test build site for your design!!! 

Congrats again.  So awesome!

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
Holy shiz, that's awesome. Way to go! I love Tumbleweed!

So, uh... you gonna hook all of us up with an MMM/Tumbleweed discount, or what? ;)

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
As long as you're taking requests...... ;)
I'm a hobbyist "architect" and have been drafting homes and floorplans since I was a little girl, it's an awesome way to relax! One of my favorite things to do is to take traditional old home styles and miniaturize them with authentic details inside and out. Georgian and Rustic Colonial homes are my absolute favorite styles. Now, in such small spaces you can't exactly partition up every room like the authentic styles did(which was a localized heating issue we don't have in modern times)but you can add semi partitions, built-ins, beamed ceilings, stained glass, a window seat, wide plank floors, real fireplaces or at least the appearance of a real one, transoms, and antique style fixtures(must have a clawfoot or copper tub!). Basically what I want is an historic house without all the problems that come with it(mold, infestation, retro-fitting). The owner at Texas Tiny Houses does much of what I like but strangely enough I don't like how "old" he leaves everything. Pealing paint everywhere says "poor", not "charming" to me. :/ I like fairly simplistic and primitive design but not a primitive look or condition.
Here's an awesome little place, late 1780's, that is near where I grew up: http://cdn-cs21.vht.com/cdn/images/C21IW/T50829267/still/viewer_101.jpg Places like this springboard all kind of ideas for me. :)
When I was growing up, my dad hauled home a little house free to get it out of someone's yard. It mine and my sister's playhouse but it was a real little house. It was formally a servant's cottage for a wealthy shipper(actual ships probably in Port Norris, NJ)and then it was moved to our neighborhood where a single neighbor(a retired teacher I believe) lived in it for 20 years on his mother's property. Incidentally his mother lived in a sweet rustic colonial about 12X14 feet. When we visited her I was absolutely amazed at the simplicity and neatness of her home. I was only 3 when she died but I remember her house and her. The folks who bought her house proceeded to put a garish two story addition on the place adding over 2000 square feet. :( Anyway, our playhouse was a mere 10 X 12 feet with a metal hip roof, two board and batten doors with those awesome big black push button handles, wood paneling on all interior surfaces, wired for electric with push button switches, Victorian light fixtures, 6 windows, vent for a small woodstove(didn't actually come with one though), two wall cabinets, two rooms with an interior board and batten door and glassless window between, no plumbing(cooking/washing/outhouse was outside originally), 6 foot interior ceilings and a loft trap door. The side walls were 8 feet so the former owner actually slept in the windowless, unvented loft. There was a single steel frame bed built up in there and the ceiling clearance couldn't have been more than 18 inches. I don't know how he did it. Even as a small child I was totally terrified of being up there for more than a few minutes. All that said, I wanted to haul that baby to my parents new property when they moved to use as my own house but it was too far gone from infestation and rot. I would have needed about $2K to get it stable enough to move. :( I miss that place.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
AWESOME!  The B-53 cottage is pretty much my dream house. 

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
+1 on the requests for designs in the 500-700 sq feet range.  A downstairs bedroom is my sticking point (my long term plan is to rent out the current house and retire into a tiny house - I want it to be old-age compatible). 

I'm a big fan of craftsman style homes or mid-century Cape Cods.  Open floor plan, classic details, thoughtful storage, and no wasted space. 

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
Congrats! this is great!

Ha, and yet another +1 for loving small houses. For the last year I have been drooling over the plans for 700-800 sq ft homes. I really want to build one in a few years.

Would love to see more stuff in this space. The "built on a trailer" homes are cool, but just a little too small for my needs.

Woolie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Requests ....I love seeing built in storage that provides room for essential items and yet keeps everything neat and tidy looking.

My big sticker on most tiny housing is that the bed is often a loft space. From a design point, I completely understand it, however, considering old age and potential for injury and lack of mobility, it concerns me. I have a bad knee now at 34. I'm taking care of it and my health, but it may still deteriorate no matter what I do. A friend of mine, avid runner and exercise fan, just found out that he may need a hip replacement at 36. Scary stuff. I would be worried about my 73 year old mother crawling up and down that ladder every day also.

So that's what worries me. It might add square footage, but a really creative tiny house with no lofted sleeping area would be a lovely dream. Maybe I just haven't seen the right designs, but that's one thing that always sticks out for me.

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback! It's all going on my list. Actually, the bedroom on the first floor issue is one of the first that I will be dealing with when I get out there. Especially from a Mustachian point of view, if you are building one of the cottages or a House-to-Go as part of your path to financial freedom, it makes sense to plan for the long-term. And scrambling up a ladder is something that would get old pretty fast. :-)

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
Nice! I'm glad to hear tumblweed is continuing to work on their designs. Lots more people are building and blogging about tiny houses and there is so much to learn. I recently bought the Fencl plans and I start construction this week. The welder is finished and I pick it up on Saturday.

I would love to see a new plan on a 20 foot trailer, when you have two people every extra foot counts. I'd also like to see some specs for recommended solar setups, electrical set ups, AC/heating units and sewer connections. Most importantly a nice spot to store a bike. Then again that's probably called a shed.  I think building the fencl is likely to be the first tiny house my wife and I build. Building and remodeling has become our biggest hobby.

Honest Bob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Honest Bob's Vehicular Fleet
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
Congrats! I was obsessed with the idea of small houses for a while.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
I'm curious about why there aren't more plans with Murphy beds for the downstairs bed.  There is a company selling them that transforms from a couch to the fold-down bed.  I think the original company is Italian, see the apartment Grant(?) from TreeHugger.com designed and built.  There is a FairCompanies video on it.  Something like that would allow the main area to be a living room during the day, bedroom at night.

http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/nyc-swiss-army-knife-apartments-walls-open-fold-slide/

http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/6-rooms-into-1-morphing-apartment-packs-1100-sq-ft-into-420/?utm_source=tagrelated&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=relateditems

A few of these ideas might translate to the tiny homes on wheels.

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »
I updated the blog with all the details about how we are going to wrap up Heartland House, when we will be moving to NorCal, and how in the world I ended up with this fantastic job. You can read about it here:
http://heartlandhouse.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/big-news-for-heartland-house/

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
I am so excited for you! How awesome for Tumbleweed to work around your hubby's internship. Very cool!

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »
I updated the blog with all the details about how we are going to wrap up Heartland House, when we will be moving to NorCal, and how in the world I ended up with this fantastic job. You can read about it here:
http://heartlandhouse.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/big-news-for-heartland-house/

Great story! I look forward to hearing more about Tumbleweed in the months ahead.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 07:11:34 AM »
Please do design some houses with the bed on the main floor, perhaps with the longer trailer. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Kind of annoyed that I can't download the free Tumbleweed catalogue without giving up my name, address, etc.

It's a completely free PDF, but they make you go through a "checkout" process and pay $0 to download.

How unfriendly.

Not your fault at all, but figured this was an okay place to express my annoyance.

If anyone has jumped through their rigmarole to get the catalogue and would be willing to share, let me know.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
If anyone has jumped through their rigmarole to get the catalogue and would be willing to share, let me know.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
Thanks!  :)

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:08 AM »
Yeah, I thought that was a little annoying, too. I will ask about that when I get out there and see if there is a way to change it to be more optional?

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
I'm a little late to this thread, but oh my goodness!  Congratulations!  What an amazing opportunity--Tumbleweed homes are so gorgeously designed.  It sounds like you've got a lot of adventure to look forward to!

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
Ok, I'm going to get on your nerves but could you please have more interior sketches with floorplans? Floorplans are pretty easy to find all over the internet or mock up in a computer program or just pencil and paper. What I'd like to see is interior ideas as if I was walking into the place myself. Things you can't see by looking at just a floorplan or exterior mock-up like built-ins, window shapes and options, the actual scale of a human inside the space, trims and fixtures. Things that take full advantage of the knowledge of trained architects over the average "builder". So many tiny home sites seem focus on how they look on the outside or the use of space in general and until one is actually built and thoroughly photographed, it's hard to image the style you can put into the interior. At least, that's hard for me. Interior sketches would really help bridge the gap between "fancy shed" and "adorable cottage".

Landor n Stella

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »
Ok, I'm going to get on your nerves

Not at all! I love to listen to people's frustrations and wishes - You will not annoy me, ever. It's what I'm trained to do.

but could you please have more interior sketches with floorplans? Floorplans are pretty easy to find all over the internet or mock up in a computer program or just pencil and paper. What I'd like to see is interior ideas as if I was walking into the place myself. Things you can't see by looking at just a floorplan or exterior mock-up like built-ins, window shapes and options, the actual scale of a human inside the space, trims and fixtures. Things that take full advantage of the knowledge of trained architects over the average "builder". So many tiny home sites seem focus on how they look on the outside or the use of space in general and until one is actually built and thoroughly photographed, it's hard to image the style you can put into the interior. At least, that's hard for me. Interior sketches would really help bridge the gap between "fancy shed" and "adorable cottage".

I absolutely agree with all of this, and it's one of the top things on my list. In fact I've already hired an intern to help with pumping out all the renderings and sketches. Just give me a month or so after I get there to have things fixed and up and published. I start the first week of March... :-D

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
Oh yay! I am so excited to see what you and your team come up with!

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
If they ever need a web marketing partner, give me a PM ;)