Author Topic: Got a raise  (Read 4510 times)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Got a raise
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »
I graduated nursing school less then six months ago then had a 6 week wait to take the NCLEX, after passing the Exam and looking for jobs it seemed all of my prospects were filled by classmates, I got some interviews but none of the hospitals seemed interested. I decided to give in and go try a long term care home, not what I wanted. I was working the night shift, making 28$/hr with a whopping .50c differential for working nights, when my classmates were getting 33.50 base pay with an 18% differential for working nights. I was torn because I was greatful the long term care home gave me a chance, but was being very underpaid. I posted a thread here and many said to leave, I said I wouldn't. Then I got an email asking for an interview from a place I had applied just after passing my boards, also a classmate posted that her hospital was looking for nurses, so I decided if I was going to interview at one I might as well apply for the other. Interviewed for both the same day and the next day woke up to two offers. One at a small hospital for the night shift probably making around 31$/hr, the other at the county jail making 33.5$/hr with great benefits and 40hrs/week (vs the traditional 3 12hr shifts) I took the county jail job while I was still training at the long term care home, they just renegotiated our contract now, I'm getting a raise to 36$/hour!

Long story short, in approximately 6 months I went from making 28.5/hr night shift to 36$/hr and will have to work night shift for a quarter but will switch to swing shift after that.

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
Re: Got a raise
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
Congrats!  Onwards and upwards. 

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
Wooooo! Kick ass and take names :)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
Gotta love free money. Of course you know what to do with that extra money...

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
Gotta love free money. Of course you know what to do with that extra money...

Yes, yes I do, buy little Star Wars trinkets because the movie is coming out ;)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »

Long story short, in approximately 6 months I went from making 28.5/hr night shift to 36$/hr and will have to work night shift for a quarter but will switch to swing shift after that.

Congrats on the raise.

Have you ever worked a swing shift? I worked one for a few years and I will never do it again.

Daddyfatsax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:34:49 AM »
Have you ever worked a swing shift? I worked one for a few years and I will never do it again.

I second this. I have two midnight shifts left until the new job and I know I will never go back to shift work! I did make a lot of money but after 4.5 years I am done. I am ready to have a life again.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »

Congrats on the raise.

The answer is no but that's okay for a couple reasons. Reason #1, I plan on moving in approximately a year and switching jobs. Reason #2, I actually think swings will fit my life style perfectly, definitely much better then grave. With no children i really don't think it will be a big deal.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »
The answer is no but that's okay for a couple reasons. Reason #1, I plan on moving in approximately a year and switching jobs. Reason #2, I actually think swings will fit my life style perfectly, definitely much better then grave. With no children i really don't think it will be a big deal.

I hope it works for you.

The problem I had with swing shifts was that I could not sleep when I needed to (I simply wasn't sleepy), and as a consequence when I needed to be awake I was so sleepy that I felt like a zombie.

Liggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:33:10 AM »
Congrats, its nice to be recognised!

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 10:00:51 PM »
Wow! This is a great boost for me. I also just graduated RN, got my license today actually, and I had an interview this morning and two more next week. Salaries around here are lower than your numbers, but I am hopeful reading this that things can change quickly.
Congrats!

Elisabeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
Congrats on the raise, Murse! Another RN here (graduated 6 years ago). I've worked in 4 different RN positions and increased my pay with each new job -- nursing is great like that, especially if you're willing to move around a bit. I hope you enjoy the forensic nursing position -- I've always been intrigued by that kind of work!