Author Topic: Got a letter from Vanguard today  (Read 7698 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Got a letter from Vanguard today
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
"I'm pleased to let you know that one or more of your Vanguard fund accounts now qualify to be promoted to Admiral(TM) shares."

Thank god for Vanguard. I had no idea I had hit their threshold. There aren't many companies out there who will write their customers a letter saying "hey, did you know you can now buy the same product for cheaper?"

So I made the switch for the qualifying accounts. It feels like an accomplishment, even more than hitting a nice round net worth number.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Got a letter from Vanguard today
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:16:21 PM »
:)!

EricL

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:18:14 AM »
That is awesome. And you'll find it very slightly outperforms the vanilla version by about 0.01% from time to time. In real terms that doesn't matter but it gives a tiny psychological boost from time to time.

Congratulations!

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:05 AM »
Not too long ago I got a piece of mail stating that now I have $1 million in Vanguard assets and I am eligible for their Flagship Services. Excitedly, I jumped online to see if my investments went up 1,000% over the last few days. They did not :(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:36:33 AM »
That is a nice feeling.  Well done.

And +1 to Vanguard's customer service.  "Hey, you are now eligible for us to make less money on you, please do so!"
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »
"I'm pleased to let you know that one or more of your Vanguard fund accounts now qualify to be promoted to Admiral(TM) shares."

Thank god for Vanguard. I had no idea I had hit their threshold. There aren't many companies out there who will write their customers a letter saying "hey, did you know you can now buy the same product for cheaper?"

Congrats! I think they also auto-convert them for you if you don't do it yourself. That's going the extra 2 miles.

Murdoch

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Nice goal to have achieved. Congratulations.

sb_NoVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:13:34 AM »
That is a nice feeling.  Well done.

And +1 to Vanguard's customer service.  "Hey, you are now eligible for us to make less money on you, please do so!"

Incorrect!  Vanguard is investor owned, they are just doing their fiduciary duty by telling their 'shareholders' that they'd be getting more returns.  ;-)

kickel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »
This is whats referred to as a break point. All mutual fund companies are legally required to let you know when you've reached one. Congrats on getting there, but this is a standard industry thing.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »

So I made the switch for the qualifying accounts. It feels like an accomplishment, even more than hitting a nice round net worth number.

THANK YOU !

i got this letter too but disregarded it as just them trying to sell me something i didnt need since i know i'm piling it away on a greater percent than most anyone thats not a mmm'er; will check it out.

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:52:33 PM »
Congrats!

We received one recently as well. Before finding MMM we would have likely tossed it in the trash. 

Enjoy the savings.  :)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
I just got a similar message from Fidelity. Glad to see they are looking out for us.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
Nice feeling to have Admiral shares! I only have like $17K, but I put it all in Admiral shares of the Total Stock Index.

I actually have Flagship service because my grandfather is a millionaire. Makes me feel special.

The other thing I like about Vanguard is that they always address me as "Mrs. [FP]." Call me old-fashioned, but I don't like when strangers that I'm doing business with call me by my first name. In fact, even the website always says "Welcome, Mrs. [FP]."

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
Congrats! Love Vanguard.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
The other thing I like about Vanguard is that they always address me as "Mrs. [FP]." Call me old-fashioned, but I don't like when strangers that I'm doing business with call me by my first name. In fact, even the website always says "Welcome, Mrs. [FP]."
Agreed, I'm all for courteous and respectful customer service, but we're not buddies. Additionally, tons of folks go by something other than their legal first name.