Author Topic: Got a fantastic job benefit-even though I shouldn't get any!!  (Read 2226 times)

Melissa

• Stubble
Last October I went from being a full time employee to doing PRN work for the same company.  I did so because they hours were too many for my other activities (I am a coach as well) and it was too hard to get time off (I'm in the medical field and everything depends upon pt caseload and Medicare reimbursement)

When I worked full time I got 2 weeks of paid vacation and a couple of personal/sick days.  And I was able to contribute to our company's SIMPLE plan.  Since I don't NEED to work, thanks to my engineer husband I was putting all my money into the plan.  When I told them I wanted to go PRN I thought I would loose all my benefits.  I also know that I was loosing a big chunk of change to the tax man.  In lieu of asking for a raise at my review I asked if I could contribute to my SIMPLE plan instead (they are effectively giving me a raise anyways since they are required by law to give a 3% match).  I was ecstatic that my boss agreed!!!

Since my job now fluctuations I have elected to put 90% into my account until I reach the $12,000 cap for the year.  Take that tax man!!!!

Moral of the story:  Don't assume that all rules are set in stone.  You never know until you ask!

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Got a fantastic job benefit-even though I shouldn't get any!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »
That's great!

Similarly, I technically wasn't allowed to contribute to my 401k until the January after my full-time hire date (which was in May 2013), but my HR department was able to use my internship start date (May 2012) as my official hiring date so I was able to contribute right away.

These "bending" of the rules are very helpful when you ask. Kudos!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Very nice, and smart of you to think to ask for it!

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
That's awesome! We were able to do the same when my husband was working part time at his former company. Although we couldn't contribute any more because of the annual limit, the 5% match was a nice little bonus!