Author Topic: Gift Giving Awesomeness  (Read 2378 times)

MontanaMoneyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Gift Giving Awesomeness
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »
Did a quick search and did not seem to find any other threads, so I hope this is not a repeat.

Though I'd share a little thing I do with my family for Christmas gift exchanges. For the past 4 years, we have really cut down on Christmas gifts, with most of the "presents" we open on Christmas morning being items we actually NEED.

So for "fun" gifts what we do is all get together in a good downtown shopping area (or mall, just some type of place with a lot of variety), each with $5, and randomly draw names from a hat. We then split up on our own or in teams, and head out for 1 hour. We buy a neat gift(s) for $5 or less that we think our chosen person would enjoy. It is a great time seeing what you can get for $5, and most of the time it ends up being more meaningful than anything you could buy with lots of $$$. After the hour, we all meet back up at a coffee shop to enjoy a nice warm brew. All in all the whole night costs about $7 per person including beverage!

As an added plus, most nice downtown shopping areas around here all all decorated up for Christmas, and there is just a nice happy holiday feeling. Try it out, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:57:18 PM by MontanaMoneyMustache »

Mumintheburbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Gift Giving Awesomeness
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 02:12:54 AM »
I love that! My extended family also practice a version of the $5 present. Essentially adults don't exchange multiple gifts, but they each arrive with a wrapped mystery present up to $5 in cost. The kids dress up as Santas and randomly hand presents out. Some presents are standard (tea towels or a box of chocolates) but there are always some hilarious results like my nan getting erotic massage oils or my dad getting a spray tan gun.
I did attempt this with my in-laws once though and it failed dismally so maybe it's not for everyone lol

MontanaMoneyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Gift Giving Awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
I love that! My extended family also practice a version of the $5 present. Essentially adults don't exchange multiple gifts, but they each arrive with a wrapped mystery present up to $5 in cost. The kids dress up as Santas and randomly hand presents out. Some presents are standard (tea towels or a box of chocolates) but there are always some hilarious results like my nan getting erotic massage oils or my dad getting a spray tan gun.
I did attempt this with my in-laws once though and it failed dismally so maybe it's not for everyone lol

That's great! I can definitely see some strange reactions. That's why we like picking names beforehand so the person gets something that suits them. But I do like your method for the potential entertainment!