Author Topic: Getting paid to have someone watch my pets  (Read 10430 times)

meatgrinder

• Stubble
Getting paid to have someone watch my pets
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »
Leaving on a two week vacation and needed someone to take care of our dog and cat (both low maintenance).  Listed the house on CL under short-term rentals at 1/2 market rate noting they need to feed the pets.

Half-hour later get an email from someone saying they will take it and want to stop by and check out the place. Met the future tenet and cash has been paid. Seems like a reasonable dude. Hopefully the house isn't burnt down when we get back.

Financials breakdown:
Rent = $800
Not having to board pets = $300
Net = $1,100

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
Re: Getting paid to have someone watch my pets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
Did you factor theft, house damage, vet bills, and insurance deductible in to your breakdown?

This can't be serious right?  Nobody would possibly let some random person from Craigslist stay in their house for 2 weeks while they are out of town... right? 

By the way, when my sister in law let an AirBNB guest stay in her apartment for a week while she was out on vacation, the call from the police sure was interesting.  Apparently, sis was the proud new owner of a brothel.  And replacing the bed/furniture sure was fun and not cheap.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:19:11 PM by EngagedToFIRE »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »
This can't be serious right?

Not in my own financial life, but one time I had a good friend from my youth share some of his world with me.  It included a lot of casual, creative, and off-the-books financial arrangements of all varieties and kinds.

Oh, and almost all of the time AirBnB situations go off without a hitch.  If they had a serious brothel problem and not just a one-off occurrence, I think it would probably make the news.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 03:50:07 AM »
Why would somebody pay $800 to rent a house for two weeks if they live in the area anyway?

I hope nothing bad will happen, I just find this a bit weird.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 08:37:43 AM »

Not in my own financial life, but one time I had a good friend from my youth share some of his world with me.  It included a lot of casual, creative, and off-the-books financial arrangements of all varieties and kinds.

Oh, and almost all of the time AirBnB situations go off without a hitch.  If they had a serious brothel problem and not just a one-off occurrence, I think it would probably make the news.

And my mom who hired someone to watch her house, recommended by a friend.... they went "shopping" during that week and took all sorts of valuables.  Why anyone would let random people stay in their house is beyond me.  I don't know very many long term positive stories.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »

And my mom who hired someone to watch her house, recommended by a friend.... they went "shopping" during that week and took all sorts of valuables.  Why anyone would let random people stay in their house is beyond me.  I don't know very many long term positive stories.
Kind of off-topic, but what valuables do people have today? I would think if I moved across the country, I probably would donate 95% of my stuff and probably only be able to sell a few things (TVs, beds, etc). My wife and I don't have priceless antiques or jewelry.

I do airbnb, some minor annoyances but nothing major. My house also isn't totally updated and I really can't think of anything I own that I would miss/has value. I have paintings from travel that are worthless, 4 TVs but they are easily noticed if missing, I have too many clothes.
Also letting a co-worker live with me for 4 months. Really depends on how you define random.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »

Kind of off-topic, but what valuables do people have today? I would think if I moved across the country, I probably would donate 95% of my stuff and probably only be able to sell a few things (TVs, beds, etc). My wife and I don't have priceless antiques or jewelry.

I do airbnb, some minor annoyances but nothing major. My house also isn't totally updated and I really can't think of anything I own that I would miss/has value. I have paintings from travel that are worthless, 4 TVs but they are easily noticed if missing, I have too many clothes.
Also letting a co-worker live with me for 4 months. Really depends on how you define random.

Everything from jewelry to toiletries, paper towels, tools in the garage, all sorts of stuff.  I just couldn't imagine allowing some stranger access to my house so they can snoop around to their hearts content.  How could anyone enjoy vacation this way?  And this isn't even taking the pets in to account.  I'm not the "my pet is my child" type, but I would think lots of people would be horrified leaving their beloved pets with a stranger like this.  Everything about this seems insane to me!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »
Meatgrinder, I seriously hope you rethink this arrangement. This spells bad news all over it. I wouldn't want to have to board my animals but the money will be well spent for peace of mind.

Too many crazies out there. They might pull a truck up to your house and empty it out. They might let the door open and kick you animals into the street or worse not feed them or give them water. They might have wild parties and smash the walls and do extensive damage. Nope,  nope, nope...don't do it!

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
Did you factor theft, house damage, vet bills, and insurance deductible in to your breakdown?

This can't be serious right?  Nobody would possibly let some random person from Craigslist stay in their house for 2 weeks while they are out of town... right? 

By the way, when my sister in law let an AirBNB guest stay in her apartment for a week while she was out on vacation, the call from the police sure was interesting.  Apparently, sis was the proud new owner of a brothel.  And replacing the bed/furniture sure was fun and not cheap.

100% serious. Would it be better if it were from AirBNB or vbro?

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
Why would somebody pay $800 to rent a house for two weeks if they live in the area anyway?

I hope nothing bad will happen, I just find this a bit weird.

The house is being used so a divorced spouse can spend time with their kids. Their current living situation is only one bedroom and their ex will only let them spend consecutive nights with them if they have a larger place.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »

Same, I have nothing that is worth stealing except for a couple of TVs which are not worth much. Who knows, they might be a weirdo and want to take my wife's panties?

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 12:48:02 PM »
Meatgrinder, I seriously hope you rethink this arrangement. This spells bad news all over it. I wouldn't want to have to board my animals but the money will be well spent for peace of mind.

Too many crazies out there. They might pull a truck up to your house and empty it out. They might let the door open and kick you animals into the street or worse not feed them or give them water. They might have wild parties and smash the walls and do extensive damage. Nope,  nope, nope...don't do it!

All good points and maybe this makes me a fool. We are taking some precautions: Anything that is worth something will be locked in the garage. They also own a service dog they are having stay in the house so I have some kind of sense that they care about animals. This is a parent and two younger kids so I doubt they are going to be doing keg stands. If it were a group a dudes in their early twenties it would be a different story.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »

With AirBnB and VRBO, you can at least vet your visitors a little better. See what their rating is from other renters, for example.

I mean, I hope this works out for you meatgrinder. But personally, I don't think I'd be at all comfortable letting total strangers who may or may not be who they say they are stay in my house. At the very least, please make sure you have all valuables out of it and any information regarding account numbers, passwords, billing info, credit card statements, etc. locked up very solidly.

I don't think I could leave my pets with people I hadn't more fully vetted, either. At the very least they could come in, steal your stuff, and leave without ever feeding or watering your animals.

May I ask, how you know for sure this is a parent and two younger kids with a service dog? If I had criminal intent, that is exactly the kind of scenario I would invent to lower someone's defenses.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:56:26 PM by Kris »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »
Even discounting the other (many) concerns, I would not allow someone with a service dog to watch my own dogs without some serious getting-to-know-you between the dogs ahead of time.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »

With AirBnB and VRBO, you can at least vet your visitors a little better. See what their rating is from other renters, for example.

I mean, I hope this works out for you meatgrinder. But personally, I don't think I'd be at all comfortable letting total strangers who may or may not be who they say they are stay in my house. At the very least, please make sure you have all valuables out of it and any information regarding account numbers, passwords, billing info, credit card statements, etc. locked up very solidly.

I don't think I could leave my pets with people I hadn't more fully vetted, either. At the very least they could come in, steal your stuff, and leave without ever feeding or watering your animals.

May I ask, how you know for sure this is a parent and two younger kids with a service dog? If I had criminal intent, that is exactly the kind of scenario I would invent to lower someone's defenses.

AirBNB will generally pay to replace stuff and fix damage as well if that does happen.  I am almost certain my sis got a bit of money to replace her bed and couch after her AirBNB pimps used it to turn tricks.

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 03:14:40 PM »
This doesn't sound all that crazy to me.  My first thought was actually 'that's a great idea!'. 

I've found most of my roommates as complete strangers off craigslist.  I'm still friends with many of them. 

You can do basic vetting like making sure their name matches their email and verify some of the basics of their story via google.  You can check in and ask for pictures of your pets to make sure they look ok - that's what I do even when I hire a pet sitter.  You could ask for references but meeting their own pet will probably tell you alot too.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:16:28 PM by Lady Stash »

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »
This is certainly interesting, and so long as you have a way to follow up with the guy after, you're fine, which you most likely do because it's through Craigslist.

CL gets a bad rap, but a partner in a CPA firm I knew, actually got the original job of part-time accountant through a CL ad.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 06:02:50 AM »
Meatgrinder, if you had babies would you just leave them with total strangers and hope they fed them and changed their diapers. Plus, not hurt them or traumatize them? My dogs are like babies to me and no way I would trust a stranger to care for them. It is bad enough to leave the dogs in a kennel, but at least if it is an established business you can figure your dogs will be cared for even if it is minimum care. They will be safe, fed, watered and exercised a little.

If nothing else, I would rent out the house and put the animals in a kennel. Put the valuables in the locked garage. I am not a fan of renting out my house but others do it and have no issues.

But that is just me. I am over the top when it comes to the care of my animals.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »

This could turn out just fine, or it could be a "valuable learning experience".  Either way, you'll come out ahead.

LOL

Keep us posted.  We all love to learn from the mistakes of others.   ;)

jodelino

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »
Has this person asked you what vet you use, and what you would like him to do should one of your pets become sick or injured? Would you trust him to take your pet to the vet, and handle/facilitate the payment? Any responsible dog-sitter would, at the least, discuss this with you, and have your animals meet theirs.

Good luck, but I'm with those who say this sounds like a very risky arrangement.

I own a condo that I rent on VRBO, but I would never rent my primary home to a stranger. When I go away, I leave my pets with friends, or have a friend house-sit/pet-sit in our home.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Meatgrinder, if you had babies would you just leave them with total strangers and hope they fed them and changed their diapers. Plus, not hurt them or traumatize them? My dogs are like babies to me and no way I would trust a stranger to care for them. It is bad enough to leave the dogs in a kennel, but at least if it is an established business you can figure your dogs will be cared for even if it is minimum care. They will be safe, fed, watered and exercised a little.

If nothing else, I would rent out the house and put the animals in a kennel. Put the valuables in the locked garage. I am not a fan of renting out my house but others do it and have no issues.

As I alluded to in a previous comment.  We were on a vacation and my sister gets a call from the police at 11PM at night.  Her AirBNB guests turned out to be pimps running a brothel in her apartment.  If the neighbors didn't complain, I guess she wouldn't have known and gone home to sleep in her hooker infested bed knowing none the difference.  I just couldn't possibly fathom the idea of allowing strangers in to my house while I'm away, let alone allowing them to care for my animals.  Absolute insanity.  The only positive was that AirBNB did give her money to replace the couch and bed....

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 06:11:36 PM »

As I alluded to in a previous comment.  We were on a vacation and my sister gets a call from the police at 11PM at night.  Her AirBNB guests turned out to be pimps running a brothel in her apartment.  If the neighbors didn't complain, I guess she wouldn't have known and gone home to sleep in her hooker infested bed knowing none the difference.  I just couldn't possibly fathom the idea of allowing strangers in to my house while I'm away, let alone allowing them to care for my animals.  Absolute insanity.  The only positive was that AirBNB did give her money to replace the couch and bed....
No need to disparage sex workers like that.
Either way, anyone who rents their apartment should be aware that their furniture is getting fucked on. If that's not okay, they shouldn't list it for rent.

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
Unlike some of the posters, this does not strike me as an unreasonable idea. The risk seems very small (assuming you do very basic vetting), and that is a nice sum of money (when and how is money exchanging hands?).

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Unlike some of the posters, this does not strike me as an unreasonable idea. The risk seems very small (assuming you do very basic vetting), and that is a nice sum of money (when and how is money exchanging hands?).

Everything turned out fine. We met before hand and receive the full payment prior to staying.  The pets and house were well taken care of. Going to call them again when we are out of town. Was a win-win for all!

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 02:02:21 PM »
Glad to hear that it all worked out. I know that I couldn't have done this if I was in your scenario but kudos and congrats.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »

Everything turned out fine. We met before hand and receive the full payment prior to staying.  The pets and house were well taken care of. Going to call them again when we are out of town. Was a win-win for all!

Glad to know it. My husband and I do a lot of pet sitting as a way to travel. No way would we ever pay to stay in someone's house if we were watching their pets for them. I'm glad you found an arrangement that works for you.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »

Russian Roulette has a high probability of turning out fine, too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »

We just spent a week in an AirBNB in Copenhagen.  It was clearly a couple's home, and clearly during the summer they rent it out for money and live "somewhere else" because they can make good money (friends there said it's not uncommon for many couples to bunk up for a couple of months to do this). 

It was the first AirBNB that we've stayed in where it wasn't a full time AirBNB - obviously they live there.  Their stuff is there, the closets have their clothing, and the pantry has some food.

It never occurred to me to steal things or snoop.  The house rules clearly state that if you break something, you will have to replace it.  Long before AirBNB I had friends who did housing swaps with strangers.  The host met us to give us the key and show us the parking spot, and we left the key in the mailbox on the way out, so he could clean for the next people.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 07:17:28 AM »

We just spent a week in an AirBNB in Copenhagen.  It was clearly a couple's home, and clearly during the summer they rent it out for money and live "somewhere else" because they can make good money (friends there said it's not uncommon for many couples to bunk up for a couple of months to do this). 

It was the first AirBNB that we've stayed in where it wasn't a full time AirBNB - obviously they live there.  Their stuff is there, the closets have their clothing, and the pantry has some food.

It never occurred to me to steal things or snoop.  The house rules clearly state that if you break something, you will have to replace it.  Long before AirBNB I had friends who did housing swaps with strangers.  The host met us to give us the key and show us the parking spot, and we left the key in the mailbox on the way out, so he could clean for the next people.

Copenhagen is where my sister-in-law had her apartment turned in to a brothel, care of AirBNB.  She doesn't do that anymore...

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
Meatgrinder, thanks for sharing your story, and eventual everything is fine (as one would expect)

I think it's a great idea, and it sounds like it worked out well for you. Of course one should be careful, but you can't imagine the worst case scenario.
It's funny, because I think this is the MMM forum, and somewhere way back in time, MMM had a post on Making Money while Taking Vacations and shared that his family did something similar. An example of Safety is an Expensive Illusion ?

We had a similar-ish experience when we lived in a HCOL living area. We would occasionally list our second bedroom on AirBnB. Then, near a planned vacation, on our company bulletin board I came across a post from an incoming intern who needed extra housing for a couple weeks before her summer sublet started. I reached out to her and we made a deal where we would have her stay in our second room for a reduced rate for one week, and she would watch our dogs for free for the second week while we vacationed. I thought it was a win-win.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 10:17:17 AM »

Okay, and? AirBnB runs hundreds of thousands of successful transactions and people do it full time for years with no ill effect. Sometimes bad things happen in all sorts of situations that we all consider safe enough (or safe enough compared to the potential benefit) to engage in. This is like saying nobody should drive through Ohio because I had a friend who once got in a bad car accident there. Furthermore, these low-probability events are fairly easily insured against -- most renters' or homeowners' insurance policies guard against theft and property damage, and Airbnb has a lot of protections for broken stuff.

I have been traveling a lot for the past few months and so got a roommate (stranger from Craigslist, but met and vetted online) to save on rent and so he can watch my cats while I'm gone. It's been no problem. Sure I could have had bad luck, but if I made all of my decisions based on whether it is technically possible for it to go disastrously wrong, I wouldn't do anything.

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
From all the judgemental comments in this thread, i think it does indeed fit the Forum name of "Badass".  I am planning a 3+month trip out of the country within the next 5 years and plan on having someone watch my home and my kitty. I am sourcing ideas like this one, but hope it will be a friend or family member in the end.

Thanks for sharing a successful story of Badassity.

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »

Okay, and? AirBnB runs hundreds of thousands of successful transactions and people do it full time for years with no ill effect. Sometimes bad things happen in all sorts of situations that we all consider safe enough (or safe enough compared to the potential benefit) to engage in. This is like saying nobody should drive through Ohio because I had a friend who once got in a bad car accident there. Furthermore, these low-probability events are fairly easily insured against -- most renters' or homeowners' insurance policies guard against theft and property damage, and Airbnb has a lot of protections for broken stuff.

I have been traveling a lot for the past few months and so got a roommate (stranger from Craigslist, but met and vetted online) to save on rent and so he can watch my cats while I'm gone. It's been no problem. Sure I could have had bad luck, but if I made all of my decisions based on whether it is technically possible for it to go disastrously wrong, I wouldn't do anything.

I guess AirBNB can just replace your pet.  No biggie.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
You say everything turned out fine. How do you truly know that? Do you know if this person set up hidden cameras in your home so they can view everything you and your family do? Do you know if they used your house for any multitude of nefarious things? Do you know if they possibly contaminated any of your household products or you or your family's personal products? Do you know if they used your house to perhaps hide drugs or stolen property that they will come back for at a later date? Do you know they didn't abuse your animals? I understand that all these things are not probable but they are entirely possible. And that's just to much chance to take for me. I am all for saving a buck but not at the risk of the safety and privacy of my family.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
A different arrangement, but I have been house-sitting on and off for the past 10 years. Mostly repeat clients but some never met me before. Of course, I have a long list of references, as well as a recent copy of my criminal record check. I don't ask for money because this is a beneficial arrangement for both the house/pet owner and myself (I have not paid rent in over 6 years), but most people will leave a couple of hundred dollars per week for my services. This year, I started housesitting on May 1 after returning from a road trip to Southern Mexico, and I am almost fully booked until the end of October at which time I will take the road again, direction Mexico. I live full-time in my camper so I fall back on the camper on the rare times I don't have a gig.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »
You say everything turned out fine. How do you truly know that? Do you know if this person set up hidden cameras in your home so they can view everything you and your family do? Do you know if they used your house for any multitude of nefarious things? Do you know if they possibly contaminated any of your household products or you or your family's personal products? Do you know if they used your house to perhaps hide drugs or stolen property that they will come back for at a later date? Do you know they didn't abuse your animals? I understand that all these things are not probable but they are entirely possible. And that's just to much chance to take for me. I am all for saving a buck but not at the risk of the safety and privacy of my family.

I don't know any of these things, but it would be hilarious if they posted a youtube of my naked ass running around the house

How do you know that the tap water you're drinking isn't contaminated? How do you know that you won't get into a deadly wreck when you get into a car? How do you know the person waking down the street isn't going to pull out a knife? etc. etc. etc. Best to stay inside a bubble and die avoiding these nefarious things.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
A different arrangement, but I have been house-sitting on and off for the past 10 years. Mostly repeat clients but some never met me before. Of course, I have a long list of references, as well as a recent copy of my criminal record check. I don't ask for money because this is a beneficial arrangement for both the house/pet owner and myself (I have not paid rent in over 6 years), but most people will leave a couple of hundred dollars per week for my services. This year, I started housesitting on May 1 after returning from a road trip to Southern Mexico, and I am almost fully booked until the end of October at which time I will take the road again, direction Mexico. I live full-time in my camper so I fall back on the camper on the rare times I don't have a gig.

That's a great setup! In my case I don't think feeding a dog twice a day and going for a walk warrants free rent ($200/day) since our place has a good location and is a decent size. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to pay a below market rate AND take care of the pet.

Sid Arthur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2019, 07:31:56 PM »
I have used a service called https://www.mindmyhouse.com that matches house sitters with people going on vacation. The house sitters don't usually pay but it saves paying a pet sitter.

I did have some qualms but it worked out well. I would consider using it again if I was traveling for more than 2 weeks and need a house/pet sitter.

Congrats on finding someone to pay for looking after your pets! Badass indeed!

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »

I only know 2 people that have used strangers to watch their houses (or AirBNB).  One got turned in to a brothel, the other, a highly recommended person from the local community, went on a shopping spree in the house and stole all kinds of stuff.  I think a lot like you.  It's my home, I put an alarm on it for a reason.  I couldn't imagine strangers having all that access to my home, my pets, my private stuff, etc.  It just seems crazy.  All for a few bucks?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
Glad it worked out for you but my dogs are the most precious thing I own. I would never take a chance and put them at risk.

Daughn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.LiveBreathEatKeto.com
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 03:36:32 PM »

I don't know any of these things, but it would be hilarious if they posted a youtube of my naked ass running around the house

How do you know that the tap water you're drinking isn't contaminated? How do you know that you won't get into a deadly wreck when you get into a car? How do you know the person waking down the street isn't going to pull out a knife? etc. etc. etc. Best to stay inside a bubble and die avoiding these nefarious things.

The difference is you invited the possible and probable trouble into your house. No one said anything about living in a bubble. Your home is the place where your family should always feel safe. You clearly said "our" in your post, so to me, that means you have a family and if you don't care about your naked ass on the internet maybe you should consider that your family members might be out there on the internet.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

The difference is you invited the possible and probable trouble into your house. No one said anything about living in a bubble. Your home is the place where your family should always feel safe. You clearly said "our" in your post, so to me, that means you have a family and if you don't care about your naked ass on the internet maybe you should consider that your family members might be out there on the internet.

In terms of considering family members "out there on the internet", I don't think its worth the time considering I've made the decision to put my children in cars where they could be seriously injured or die. Both low probability but drastically different outcomes, however, the outcome that is far less drastic receives more scrutiny since its more unorthodox.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
Can't believe someone will do all this things to put hidden video cameras. I understand that its just an example, but should the regular cleaning help to find those things?

Yes, you could mitigate a lot of the risks even if you're not paranoid. People can find negatives in the most positive situations. Some which need to be considered and most others which don't.

DBV1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
If you are set on renting the place out I would recommend not involving the pets. Rent the place out at a higher price and use the extra money for boarding both pets with a trusted sitter/boarding place. Lowering thr price on CL just because of petsitting invites a lot larger sort of tenans. “Usually” the lower the price the lower quality of tenants.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
Seems that some people are a lot more trusting than others. I host couchsurfers, and I've never had any problems with strangers staying in my home, I just make sure to vet them as much as possible beforehand. I've also worked out mutually beneficial arrangements where a couchsurfer stayed at my place while I was on vacation and looked after my cat. I think it's much better for my pet to be at home because she gets so stressed at the vet or at other people's houses, and I had already hosted the couchsurfer and thought he was a good guy. No problems, no hidden cameras, no theft or damage. Sure, there was a small chance of that, but to me it was a risk well worth taking and it paid off.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
This is kind of interesting.  It would be my hypothesis that the people on the extreme ends of the "It's 100% definitely going to be fine!"/"Dear God, they're going to steal your stuff and murder your pets!" probably generally parallels the Left/Right political divide.  People on the Right end of the spectrum tend to have a much more intense disgust response to some things (https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21528731-800-the-yuck-factor-the-surprising-power-of-disgust/) , and to have a larger amygdala, while people on the Left tend to have a larger anterior cingulate gyrus (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092984/). 

Without turning this into a political thread, I am curious where respondents fall on the political left/right spectrum?  Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to!  Just curious.  Maybe I'm totally wrong! 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
Some people view animals as just pets and replaceable. They are family to me and I really grieve when one dies.  I wouldn’t have left my kids with a stranger and I won’t leave my fur babies either.  I have some friends that I wouldn’t trust to provide the care I expect. I only have a few people I trust with them. When I care for other people’s dogs I treat them like my own and send pictures and updates.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2019, 02:08:20 PM »
I care about my cat a lot and I would never put her in a situation that I thought was unsafe, but I would still value the lives of my human family over her if I absolutely needed to choose. I definitely fall on the left of the political spectrum and am generally fairly trusting of others, but I should qualify that by saying that when I do trust someone, it's based off their actions and words and my feeling about them, and I would not give my trust to any random person without a certain level of vetting, or allow a random person to look after my pet and home without making sure to the best of my ability that they would do a good job.

beachkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 05:03:55 AM »
25 years ago a retired couple rented my husband and I and our four (at the time) children (aged 1-6) their brand new and fully furnished home in a very nice area while they travelled out of the country all based on an ad in the newspaper placed by us. (days before Craigslist) We were moving across country for my husband's job and weren't sure if the move would be long term.

During the stay we met the owner's brother who thought his brother was absolutely crazy for doing it. The neighbors raised their eyebrows too about the sudden arrival of us, but in the end who was crazy? I don't think it was  the one's who made $$$$$ for those four months while they travelled.

Oh and when they returned from their trip, and they found out we needed a few more weeks before the home we bought closed they offered to stay in their parked RV at a campground until we could move in.

Lock up your valuables and why worry about it, if you've done your proper vetting? As for the brothel comments. That's disturbing, and yes, of course I'd want the bed replaced, just because,  but seriously do any of you stay in hotels or own vacation rentals, that you occasionally use etc.?

Guess what happens in those beds, you sleep in?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:05:54 AM by beachkat »

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2019, 02:14:38 PM »

Without turning this into a political thread, I am curious where respondents fall on the political left/right spectrum?  Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to!  Just curious.  Maybe I'm totally wrong!

Let us know the results once you compile our responses if you even get any. I definitely fall on the left side of the political spectrum, although on one specific issue (i.e. the TransMountain pipeline in Canada which I fully support for a number of reasons, with a couple of caveats), some would say I squarely fall on the right.

Update: I just completed yesterday my 6th season of full-time house-sitting. I will be returning to Canada in May 2020 and stay until the end of October, and I am already booked for most of the summer.