Author Topic: Get rich by: Taking your pet to the SPCA  (Read 4307 times)

CanuckStache

• Stubble
Get rich by: Taking your pet to the SPCA
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
So I just found out the local SPCA offers vaccinations, registrations, checkups etc all for a flat fee of $60.

So for $60 my dog just got updated on all her vaccinations, a new registration tag, and a clean bill of health. Compare that to at least $150 for the same service at the vet I was taking her too.

Bonus points - the SPCA is less than half the distance of the next closest vet.

Strongly recommend calling your local SPCA and seeing if they have a similar program. Downside - I had to wait two weeks for an appointment, so if you're in a rush, you might want to go somewhere else.

Also, some vets offer a blood-bank service. If you bring your dog / cat in and donate blood, they get a free checkup every year. Plus you're helping other animals in need. Worth asking about too!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Get rich by: Taking your pet to the SPCA
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »
When I read your title I thought you meant permanently taking them to the SPCA...   My dogs are threatening to not let me read MMM anymore.

zug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »
Meadow Lark - I thought the same thing too! I was very prepared for an angry rant about responsibility for those we take into our home. But vaccinations.. those are great!

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »
lol - I figured people would click on the post title thinking the same thing :)

I love my dog, but it drives me insane when I see how much money people spend on their pets. Toys, jackets, other items because so many people anthropomorphize their pets.

When you hear people say "Oh it's too expensive to have a pet" - it's really not that bad. I pay $50 for a bag of dog food that lasts 5-6 weeks (I have a 70lbs Ridgeback). And now, $60 in vet visits, though I have to assume vet costs will go up as the dog gets older. Otherwise, a few rawhide's here and there and that's about it. Pretty moderate cost.

We also make our own dog treats for about $1.50 a batch, and she goes insane for them (we call them 'puppy crack'), far more so than any store bought fancy treats for $10-$20 a bag.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
We also make our own dog treats for about $1.50 a batch, and she goes insane for them (we call them 'puppy crack'), far more so than any store bought fancy treats for $10-$20 a bag.

recipe? :D

CanuckStache

• Stubble

MafiaPrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »
Mine doesn't have a similar program, but most places offer low cost rabies vacinations once or twice a year (often spring and fall). 

I buy the nature's domain grain free from costco for $35 for 30 pounds.  I used to spend $100 on Wellness Core and Orijen.

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
I buy Barking at the Moon for mine, it costs about $50 per bag if you shop around. Lasts 6 weeks. A lot of people don't realize this, but because it's a higher quality food I can actually feed less of it to my pooch compared with other foods. I feed her 1 1/4 cup twice a day and her weight is almost perfect, and she's very healthy. Don't have a costco in my area, but that grain free food sounds pretty good!

BlueBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
It is also worth calling around to different vets and getting prices on common stuff.  We pay around $50 for a yearly exam and vaccinations per cat.  Other vets, from memory, were closer to $100.

Scuba Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow