Author Topic: Garbage Arbitrage  (Read 7477 times)

vern

• Pencil Stache
Garbage Arbitrage
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
I made a run to the dump yesterday. 

Instead of paying for weekly pickup, we drop our trash off at the local dump.  We aren't big consumers, we recycle, and we have a compost heap.  When there is a pickup truck load of trash in the shed, it's time to roll.

The dump costs $8.00 for a load and we only go three times a year.  So our annual trash bill is $24.

(I know that in many areas they force people to pay for regular service.   But we are out in the boonies so it's optional.)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:11:41 PM by vern »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Garbage Arbitrage
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
Interesting.

Composting definitely helps, I'd think.

Nicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »
That's awesome. I was able to move from a 96 gallon can to a smaller one and pay about $4 less/month. Even though I have the smallest garbage can on the block, my neighbor told me she comes over on garbage day and puts her extra trash in my can because she can't fit it all in hers and mine is never full. I haven't even really been trying that hard yet. Plan to start a compost this month.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
I tried to do that, but we are FORCED to pay to have the garbage pickup, even though the dump is nearby. Ridiculous. All utilities are lumped with the same provider so it's impossible to escape unless you are totally off grid.

I obviously opted for the smallest can possible, but it is still $15 a month. A total waste of $15 bucks if you ask me. There are apparently 3 sizes. I would guess that 90% or more of the houses I see have the largest size, which is 55 dollars a month! FIFTY FIVE BUCKS!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »
We pay flat fee for sewer/water/trash/stormwater/recycling admin, and only water (and by proxy sewer) is metered based on usage.  So no go on the dumping 3x per year.  And I don't think my neighbors would like the trash out there. 

I have noticed that we apparently aren't being good trash producers.  Our family of five rarely fills the 96 gallon can in a week, and we often go 2-3 weeks without taking the can to the curb.  Other neighbors that only have 1-2 people living in their houses have slam full cans every week.  And we have a 1 year old cranking out the dirty diapers! 

We recycle plenty, but don't compost.  I think the lack of trash production is due to not going recreational shopping every day, and buying mostly non-prepared food items and rarely getting take out.  For example, the waste from a single serving frozen tv dinner is more bulk than the waste from a 1 lb box of pasta, a jar of sauce, and fresh veggies.  If we composted the veggie scraps, everything else would be recycled and not produce waste. 

DCUrbanMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
I made a run to the dump yesterday. 

Instead of paying for weekly pickup, we drop our trash off at the local dump.  We aren't big consumers, we recycle, and we have a compost heap.  When there is a pickup truck load of trash in the shed, it's time to roll.

The dump costs $8.00 for a load and we only go three times a year.  So our annual trash bill is $24.

(I know that in many areas they force people to pay for regular service.   But we are out in the boonies so it's optional.)

Well done! Reducing your trash and your costs!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
I've stepped down to once a month pickup.  I also have a yardwaste pickup every other week, so all of the food scraps go in there.  It's amazing how much of my garbage was food waste.  I don't even come close to filling up the garbage tote now.  I end up totally scrounging around for things to put in there the night before garbage day.  :)

On the downside, my big yardwaste tote reeks. 

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
This is awesome for so many reasons.  My favorite is that it's direct motivation to waste less because you don't want to hasten the dump trip sooner.  It also forces you to see where your landfill trash actually goes.

You rule!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
What I do is pay my garbage company in AUS, taking advantage of minor currency price discrepancies, and pocket the difference!

PlayOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
Our town has Bulk Trash Pick-up this month! If you have a couch or mattress, or any other bigger items the Trash guys will come get it.

It's the best time of the year- people all over town slowly drive by the piles of "trash" that the neighbors put out on the curb & pick up "treasures"!

I swear that I have found some of my best "stuff" in other people's trash (do I sound like a hoarder?!)- several huge houseplants, baskets, chairs, a headboard, dressers.... all maybe in need of some minimal wipe-down/ possible refinishing or in the case of the plants- gentle loving care- but look nice at my house now!

:)

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
It's part of our property taxes here (no separate bill). Weekly garbage pickup (up to 3 trash cans) and mixed recycling as well.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
I have noticed that we apparently aren't being good trash producers.  Our family of five rarely fills the 96 gallon can in a week, and we often go 2-3 weeks without taking the can to the curb.  Other neighbors that only have 1-2 people living in their houses have slam full cans every week.  And we have a 1 year old cranking out the dirty diapers!

96 gallons of trash? For 1-2 people? In one week? I can hardly imagine such a thing. My wife and I have the cheapest garbage service the city allows (12 gallon can) and we rarely fill it much more than halfway. They would charge an extra $70 per month if I wanted a 96-gallon can. That's just to get rid of the trash; I don't even want to think of how much money I would be wasting every month on useless junk to actually need that much capacity.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »

96 gallons of trash? For 1-2 people? In one week? I can hardly imagine such a thing. My wife and I have the cheapest garbage service the city allows (12 gallon can) and we rarely fill it much more than halfway. They would charge an extra $70 per month if I wanted a 96-gallon can. That's just to get rid of the trash; I don't even want to think of how much money I would be wasting every month on useless junk to actually need that much capacity.

I completely don't understand the 96 gallons/wk either.  We can entertain for 50 using disposable cups and plates and still not fill up a 96 gal.  Maybe they have small businesses or 10 people living in their houses. 

We probably average 25 gallons/wk of slightly compacted garbage.  For 5, with 1 in disposable diapers.  We don't intentionally try to reduce trash production, and I have no qualms with buying something covered in trash (er, bulky packaging) if it is cheaper than competing products.  In other words I would never pay more for a product promoted as "less packaging".