Author Topic: Functioning smart key fob for $4.50  (Read 2085 times)

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
Functioning smart key fob for $4.50
« on: June 09, 2021, 01:48:07 PM »
We had a minor win today! A few years ago we bought a used Prius. The owner gave us one working key fob and one broken one. Recently DH and I decided we needed 2 sets so we looked into buying a new smart key fob. Those things are pricey - $500 at the dealership and $250 at a locksmith! We decided to find the old, broken one and replace its button battery for $4.50. Lo and behold, it works to unlock and start the car, even though the fob is in pieces and has to be contained in a plastic bag. It isn't the prettiest solution, but it solves our problem and saves us $245.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Functioning smart key fob for $4.50
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 07:21:08 AM »
Sweet!

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:29:39 PM »
Awesome! Any chance you could find an "unprogrammed" one online to use just for the case, and put the functioning guts from your broken one into it?

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:19 PM »
We had a minor win today! A few years ago we bought a used Prius. The owner gave us one working key fob and one broken one. Recently DH and I decided we needed 2 sets so we looked into buying a new smart key fob. Those things are pricey - $500 at the dealership and $250 at a locksmith! We decided to find the old, broken one and replace its button battery for $4.50. Lo and behold, it works to unlock and start the car, even though the fob is in pieces and has to be contained in a plastic bag. It isn't the prettiest solution, but it solves our problem and saves us $245.

You can probably buy a knock off version and/or empty shell from amazon for $10 and transfer the guts to make a more practical solution.

Don't every use an amazon knock off's actual internals though.

MainstreamContrarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »
Buying an empty shell from Amazon is good.

Be very careful though that you don’t accidentally throw away the security chip - it could be somewhat hidden in your old key fob.  So I would absolutely not throw away any of the old parts until you are 100% sure the new key is working.  Ask me how I learned that trick!

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »
Nice work!

FYI - consider buying a 3rd fob as a back up. At least for our vehicle, we're able to program a 3rd fob ourselves as long as we already have 2 functioning units. Otherwise, we'd have to shell out for a dealership to program the 3rd if when we loose one of the original 2.   

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:56:47 AM »
I did this with my Toyota/Scion. Bought a blank off Amazon, had Home Depot cut it for free... the guy there of course said "it's not gonna work", and I told him I knew and that I only needed it for the doors, not to start the car, because I was aware they could not copy the transponder code/chip. Only then would he run it through the key cutter.

HOWEVER, thankfully, Toyota made it so that you can reprogram your own blank chip yourself. You get in the car with a working key, start it up, then do a dance hitting random buttons, opening the door, clicking your seatbelt, etc. in a specific order and pattern to set the car to "program mode", then you yank the old key and put in the new key while the car is still on and it will reprogram for the new key all by itself.

Dealerships want hundreds, locksmiths charge a hundred, I did it for six bucks.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
I did this with my Toyota/Scion. Bought a blank off Amazon, had Home Depot cut it for free... the guy there of course said "it's not gonna work", and I told him I knew and that I only needed it for the doors, not to start the car, because I was aware they could not copy the transponder code/chip. Only then would he run it through the key cutter.

HOWEVER, thankfully, Toyota made it so that you can reprogram your own blank chip yourself. You get in the car with a working key, start it up, then do a dance hitting random buttons, opening the door, clicking your seatbelt, etc. in a specific order and pattern to set the car to "program mode", then you yank the old key and put in the new key while the car is still on and it will reprogram for the new key all by itself.

That's a really interesting thing to know!

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:15 PM »

@chuckster Out of curiosity, do you have a link or source for the chip reprogramming protocol? I bought a Prius yesterday that's got a single crappy fob.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »
One of my keys has been missing since before the pandemic. I asked DH to replace it for my birthday. He is a smart, fix-it kind of dude. He ordered the blank and tried, tried, tried to program it. After much angst, many YT Videos and lots of research via Sir Google, he started looking at other options and making phone calls. Our local Ace says yeah, they do it, quoted DH a price, when to bring it in, who to ask for, blah x 3. We get there and said dude says, "Yeah, we only program the ones you buy from us." Fuck! We finally caved and took it to the locksmith down the street. $200 bucks later, the birthday gift was in working order. Let's hope the "lost" one doesn't turn up too soon.

And my Toyota has a push button starter and keyless entry, which apparently is a complicating factor.

We bought a Sprinter based RV last year and OMG everything is insanely complicated and parts are ridiculously expensive. Makes the Toyota key adventure look like a free walk in the park.

ETA 4/11/22: I found the key fob wedged between the leg of the bed and the wall. Absolutely invisible. I just stuck my hand down there to snake a cord behind the bed. Whomp, whomp.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:23:54 AM by Dicey »

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
Awesome! Any chance you could find an "unprogrammed" one online to use just for the case, and put the functioning guts from your broken one into it?

That's not a bad idea! I'll try that in the future if we need 2 sets for daily use. Right now we have one set for daily use and one that is the emergency spare that lives in the house (we have 2 young kids and I have nightmares of them getting locked in the car in the sweltering Houston heat). I'm not sure I want to try to program one on my own. DH did that a few years back for his car and had some difficulty to make it work. Apparently the push starts are even more complicated.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »

@chuckster Out of curiosity, do you have a link or source for the chip reprogramming protocol? I bought a Prius yesterday that's got a single crappy fob.

It's been a while, but
https://www.wesleychapeltoyota.com/service/toyota-key-fob-programming/
looks right. I think I found a youtube video similar to this one as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmn7fuLRKw