Author Topic: Fuck it - I'm walking!  (Read 29231 times)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
Fuck it - I'm walking!
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:22:32 PM »
This isn't going to seem very badass to many of you but it is for me :)

So first the unmustachian shitty part: Today I took my 2012 dodge charger that I bought brand new and fully loaded in 2012 on a LOAN in for an *oil change*. At this time the guy informs me that I should do the 3 year check-up that costs $600. Since I already know I want to sell this pig of a car I figure I better have service records so I say OK fine. The guy says it will take 3 hours.

I walk to a nearby McDonalds for a cup of coffee and as I'm sitting there I figure I should go for a walk since I also need to get healthy. I walk for about an hour and the dude from the car place calls me and tells me some shit is leaking and they need to keep the car until tuesday (3 days away). Then he asks if they should arrange a rental car for me. I say "Of course!" How could I survive until all the way until tuesday without a car?! Plus I need to get home and that's 9 miles away.

Then, sitting in mcdonalds (the bastion of unhealthiness) again after my walk drinking some water I start thinking... really? I really cannot survive without a car for 3 god damn days? I only put 11k miles on the car in 3 years! How can I not get by without it? This is silicon valley, the weather is always good. I need to get in shape. I have no excuse. Work is only 3.5 miles from my house!

So... I thought, "Fuck it! I'm walking!" I call the guy back and tell him to keep the car until Tuesday. Then I walked the 9 miles home. Now I'm going to walk everywhere! Fuck it!

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a dodge charger 2012 that's like new let me know :P

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Fuck it - I'm walking!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:46:49 PM »
Sorry, I'm not interested in the car. Good on you for walking!

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »
Good work!

Static Void

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 01:32:38 AM »
Bravo! Also your post is making me laugh. Out loud. As they say. Fuck it!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
You know that a Dodge Charger is my ultimate "stupid car" as in.. When I have $2M liquid net worth I am going to buy one!.. because?.. well why not?... Of course knowing how frugal I am the chances of me following through with this plan is pretty remote..:)

Frank

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »
@Frank - I think you should just get one when you reach your goal, plus a used one 3-4 years old with much of depreciation already incurred wouldn't be such a bad purchase.

@dividenman - Good for you!  That 7 miles walking for two days will be good for you.  Do you have a bike?  Those miles will be nothing for you if you do it for a few weeks.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
@Frank why postpone your stupidity? I didn't :P It's a fun car to drive! Cave into the temptation... :P

@mxt0133 Yeah, I'm not planning on stopping the walking when I get my car back. I might just sell it ASAP and have no car and see how I do. As for biking, I think I'm too out of shape to bike! I did just buy a bike from nashbar and biked around a bit but I don't feel super confident about it yet.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »
San Jose / Santa Clara have OK public transportation if I recall correctly, very usable anyway.  Lots of bike lanes and as you said good weather most always.

You can always rent a cool toy to drive for a weekend when the craving becomes overwhelming! 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Awesome! I did the same thing one time when I finished work and realised my bus pass was in my wallet which was at home (didn't miss it because I took my lunch to work). Hubby was away for work, and the distance involved was almost the exact same as yours - 14.5km. I too said "fuck it, I'm walking!". And I felt about as badass when I finished as you do now. :)

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
Great post!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
9 miles! Congratulations, sir. I think I would have wimped out at 5.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »
Read your post out to my husband -- both loved it! Way to go!

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 05:08:58 AM »
I second getting a bike, though I can't bike to work so I do it afterwards :( I've been biking about 3 miles per day to gym (not a lot but more than before). It takes about 15-20 minutes for me, and I'm still pretty slow, and I rest sometimes. But it almost takes me as much time to drive the few miles as it does to take bike since there is a direct bike trail and no traffic.

I wimp out walking at 6 miles :( I've done 9 miles before but it takes 2-2.5 hours I think for me

sideofcash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • SideofCash.com
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 05:21:42 AM »
3.5 miles to and from Work is nothing!
3.5 miles with the family groceries gunna suck bad!

Good luck!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:13 AM »
I'm pretty fucking jealous!  I used to walk daily and sometimes do a 7 or 8 mile 2.5 hour treks just for fun.  Unfortunately, I developed Plantar Fasciitis this last summer.  Hurts like crazy.  Walking from the bed to the toilet in the morning was the most painful.  (seems the plantar tightens up at rest)

So yeah,  I haven't really walked much since then.  Motrin, Aspirin,  Aleve are my friends now rotated daily in order to reduce inflammation with the hopes of someday being able to walk distance again.

So just a bit of advice.  Be careful my friend.  Walking may seem easy but repetitive pounding of the pavement can very quickly ad up.

I would suggest you consider looking at some web sites on proper walking techniques and even consider hiking sticks. 

There are no free lunches -- walking improperly can injure knees, joints, hips and back.  If you are really bad at walking it can also damage you brain much like the brain injuries distance runners experience. (about the same as boxers)

So I highly encourage your new found walking behavior,  but I also encourage that you do the basic research in order to determine proper technique and equipment.

Walking rocks!  Wish I could do it.   

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »
Cool story and way to challenge yourself.  I hope you report back after the 3 days.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
Nice work, glad you walked and proved you can do it, even without big planning.

Now just make sure you have what it takes to keep it up, and keep it up at least a couple weeks. That's how long it takes to build a new habit, after that it will get easier.

Good luck!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I developed Plantar Fasciitis this last summer.

Bob W, I developed terrible PF walking on a beach and suffered for about 2 years with your same symptoms. Finally went to the family doctor and was referred to a podiatrist who made me the MOST AWESOME set of custom orthotics that fit inside my runners. No More Pain! I can walk to my heart's content! Also, because the arch supports did their work, after a few months, it didn't hurt to walk short distances around the house, etc without them in my shoes either.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »

The insole I got(can't recall the name but added a link - can't open the link at work) was very hard and it had an insert which was removable and other sets of different "heights" could be used.  I used that for about 2 months and it was a god send. I havent had any issues then and if I ever, remotely, think that I may be getting PF again, I quickly use them to prevent anything from getting worse.

http://www.shoesforplantarfasciitis.org/articles/orthotics-for-plantar-fasciitis/

This is very similar to the custom orthotics I was fitted for (compliments of the Canadian health care system). Hope you can find some relief, Bob W, I feel your pain!

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
I had a similar situation several years ago. I lived in a city that was frankly stupid to drive a car. My options were $175 per month for off street parking or $40-300 per month in tickets plus driving for hours to find a spot every night. The car died when on a road trip. I sold the car for $200 to a transmission shop in Ohio. I haven't owned a car since - now it is 4 years later. Best thing to ever happen to me!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 02:54:30 PM »
"Fuck it, I'm walking!" needs to be a t-shirt slogan. The OP's story reminds me of how stunned people are when they find out I walk to the airport.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »

Bob W, I developed terrible PF walking on a beach and suffered for about 2 years with your same symptoms. Finally went to the family doctor and was referred to a podiatrist who made me the MOST AWESOME set of custom orthotics that fit inside my runners. No More Pain! I can walk to my heart's content! Also, because the arch supports did their work, after a few months, it didn't hurt to walk short distances around the house, etc without them in my shoes either.

Had a foot bone injury 10 years ago, walking boot & podiatrist injections.  Food injury's stuck as much as anything.  Took years of no running (or even cycling) to get better but it finally healed and I can run again.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the words!

Yeah, I hope I don't get PF. Wikipedia is weird on the subject. It says it can be caused by inactivity as well as overuse... well... I'm way overweight and my feet have definitely not had overuse to this point so hopefully the benefits of walking outweigh any possible negative consequences.

@sideofcash - my grocery store/Target is pretty close (1.5 miles) and I walked and got groceries on Sunday. Not too bad. Also I don't have the liability of a family (that lives with me) :P

Through Saturday, Sunday and Today I've walked 23 miles - fuck it! I get my car back tomorrow. I don't want it. Once I have it I fear the temptation to drive will be too great.

Let me look into the t-shirt idea. I should start saying "Fuck it, I'm walking" ™ :P

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Add me to the PF sufferers camp. I've had it before and got orthotics. It cleared up completely in 12 months. This time I didn't get the orthotics (lost the old ones!), didn't do anything special and it cleared up completely in ... 12 months. N=1 and all that, but maybe it just goes away on its own in some cases?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
A veritable epiphany!  Good on ya!

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
Maybe ask a friend if you can keep the car at their house so you aren't tempted to use it -- or you have to walk to get it.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »

Good luck!

get a bike trailer, I bought a used one last year for 50$ and haul the family grocery over that distance even with 3 inches of snow. I use my MTB with very low presure in the tires to increase traction.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »

Thanks for that!  My sister is a PT and ironically her husband who loves to walk developed PF at the same time as me.   I consulted with her and him.  They basically said to use the OTC inserts and anti-inflammatories.   I'm doing that with much improvement.   

I mean it was pain city before I did that!   So it is much better.   If I don't have total improvement in the next 30 days I may go the next step to the podiatrist. 

PF really, really sucks. 

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35:46 AM »
I'm pretty fucking jealous!  I used to walk daily and sometimes do a 7 or 8 mile 2.5 hour treks just for fun.  Unfortunately, I developed Plantar Fasciitis this last summer.  Hurts like crazy.  Walking from the bed to the toilet in the morning was the most painful.  (seems the plantar tightens up at rest)

So yeah,  I haven't really walked much since then.  Motrin, Aspirin,  Aleve are my friends now rotated daily in order to reduce inflammation with the hopes of someday being able to walk distance again.

So just a bit of advice.  Be careful my friend.  Walking may seem easy but repetitive pounding of the pavement can very quickly ad up.

I would suggest you consider looking at some web sites on proper walking techniques and even consider hiking sticks. 

There are no free lunches -- walking improperly can injure knees, joints, hips and back.  If you are really bad at walking it can also damage you brain much like the brain injuries distance runners experience. (about the same as boxers)

So I highly encourage your new found walking behavior,  but I also encourage that you do the basic research in order to determine proper technique and equipment.

Look up that ailment on Youtube and you'll find it's cause and some solutions.  Start with shoes that don't narrow the toe area.

To the PO - AWESOME!!!!  It becomes second nature after awhile (for many reasons it just gets easier).

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
Good for YOU!  I think cars are the hardest thing for most people to unglue themselves from.  People think it's "american" to have a car for some reason.  I have not owned one in 25 years.  It's so liberating. 

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »

Good luck!

get a bike trailer, I bought a used one last year for 50$ and haul the family grocery over that distance even with 3 inches of snow. I use my MTB with very low presure in the tires to increase traction.

Otherwise get a good backpack.  People load them up with stuff and go hike 20+ miles in the woods, it's wild.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
Good for you!  I've been walking to and from work most days for about a year now and I love it!  I wear good trainers and a backpack, and I feel really energised by the time I get to work - 2.25 miles each way.  I also recently bought a shopping trolley bag and walk to and from the store - about 0.5 miles.  It's really funky, red with white polka dots, carries a shit load and is waterproof (a nevessity here in Scotland!).  I don't miss my car at all now.

PS I would buy that t-shirt!

falcondisruptor

• Stubble
    • Simple Cheap Mom
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
9.5 miles is no little stroll!  I probably would have opted for public transit, but you're awesome!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone!

Here is my week-end report: I walked to work 4/5 days of the week (my legs/shins hurt so much on Friday that I didn't walk :( )  and my total weekly walking was 51 miles (according to fitbit, but that matches my estimates as well).

I've only used my car two days in the week (Friday and yesterday).

Along with cooking my own food, which wasn't particularly healthy (but is low-carb), I lost 13 lbs in the week and two inches off of my waist.

I feel like I sleep better in the night, get up easier in the morning and have good energy in the day. I don't know if this is the placebo effect or actually because I'm walking 8 miles per workday.

Some other things I've noticed (probably because I'm so out of shape): My arms are heavy! My shoulders actually ache at the end of the day just from my arms swinging... pathetic but oh well. I had all sorts of other little "aches" that just went away after a bit. Like my abs hurt a lot one day, then the back of my thighs then my neck. My shins hurt a LOT on Friday but are OK now after having two light walking days. I guess I'm just using things a lot more than I normally do. I also think I need to do some weights/swings/pushups because I used to be able to do 20-30 pushups in a row and now struggle with 10, so I need to keep my strength up but am too tired from walking at the end of the day to workout, hopefully it gets better.

It actually gets cold in silicon valley sometimes! I started at like 6am one day and it was like 35 degrees... I wasn't dressed particularly warm and thought the walking would warm me up enough... nope! I thought I was going to die on the way but I powered through - fuck it!

I took Friday off from walking and yesterday was a light walking day too. I'm going back at it today with a walk to the grocery store!

Gonna keep up the walking to work next week too!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
We are with you brother!  13 lbs?  This new fuck it plan is awesome.  Be sure to power up with more water than you feel like drinking.  A lot of soreness may be due to dehydration.    You rock!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
Yes, very awesome story OP!
Wow you guys, so sorry to hear about the PF, I had never even heard about it before and man was it was scaring me shitless to go walk! I actually have a family member that gets the pain you guys described when walking or being on his feet too long, will tell him to ask about PF!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »
Absolutely awesome, dividendman!

Not a placebo effort; your brain releases chemicals when you exercise that make you feel better for hours.  Definitely keep it up but be sure to do what you did this week and rest 1-2 days every week to minimize the chance of overuse injury.

:-( that's a drag, Bob.  I don't think you should wait to go see the podiatrist, though.  Mine gave me some custom molded orthotics and some stretching exercises and it was like I had completely new feet once the swelling went down.

rpr

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »

@sideofcash - my grocery store/Target is pretty close (1.5 miles) and I walked and got groceries on Sunday. Not too bad. Also I don't have the liability of a family (that lives with me) :P

That is badass, truly. Great post.

Another benefit of walking to grocery stores is that there is no room for impulse shopping. You have to carry everything back.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 12:08:06 AM »
Dividendman, I'm shaking my head in amazement at your awesomeness! Thanks for the update and the motivation!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »
Thanks for the support everyone!

Here is my week-end report: I walked to work 4/5 days of the week (my legs/shins hurt so much on Friday that I didn't walk :( )  and my total weekly walking was 51 miles (according to fitbit, but that matches my estimates as well).

I've only used my car two days in the week (Friday and yesterday).

Along with cooking my own food, which wasn't particularly healthy (but is low-carb), I lost 13 lbs in the week and two inches off of my waist.

I feel like I sleep better in the night, get up easier in the morning and have good energy in the day. I don't know if this is the placebo effect or actually because I'm walking 8 miles per workday.

Some other things I've noticed (probably because I'm so out of shape): My arms are heavy! My shoulders actually ache at the end of the day just from my arms swinging... pathetic but oh well. I had all sorts of other little "aches" that just went away after a bit. Like my abs hurt a lot one day, then the back of my thighs then my neck. My shins hurt a LOT on Friday but are OK now after having two light walking days. I guess I'm just using things a lot more than I normally do. I also think I need to do some weights/swings/pushups because I used to be able to do 20-30 pushups in a row and now struggle with 10, so I need to keep my strength up but am too tired from walking at the end of the day to workout, hopefully it gets better.

It actually gets cold in silicon valley sometimes! I started at like 6am one day and it was like 35 degrees... I wasn't dressed particularly warm and thought the walking would warm me up enough... nope! I thought I was going to die on the way but I powered through - fuck it!

I took Friday off from walking and yesterday was a light walking day too. I'm going back at it today with a walk to the grocery store!

Gonna keep up the walking to work next week too!

Most of these are bicyclists, but you will find many walk as well.  Either way, it is inspirational to converse with others that are on the same path:

http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
When I had PF it lasted for several months. I took 600 mg. of ibuprofen every morning before I went to work, and that--plus "writing the alphabet with my foot" got me through it all right until it went away. One of the clerical staff told me about "writing the alphabet with your foot"--it is just what it sounds like--sit in a chair, hold your leg out in front of you, start "writing" in the air with your foot--gives your foot a good stretch and makes it feel better.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
OK, I just checked back to see if there were any updates & loved your update.

Had a lightbulb moment...I had a plan to drive to Target today (about two miles?) and stop on the way to walk around the park (3-mile walk). Then I thought...just walk to Target, idiot! But I'd planned to get OJ, which would be heavy to carry that far. My new plan: Either walk to Target and skip the OJ, or walk to the closer grocery store and get the OJ.

What contributed to the lightbulb moment is that I often use the time saved as a reason why I drive. When I realized that I was adding that three-mile walk to the trip, the time savings evaporated.

These things should not be so hard to realize!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
this is badass to me.  Good for you!!!  I love this thread.

Dyk

• Stubble
  • Starting late, w/ a family, but get out of the way
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Just take the bike you bought and alternate it in with the walking, this should keep you car free for a very, very long time.
(Use a backpack and garbage bag when it rains, and you are all set!)

Keep it up!

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Very impressive!

Also, wanted to chime in on both the shin pain and the PF.  Keep an eye on your shoes folks - good shoes can make a difference.  It's helped me on both of these issues.  I found it to be worth it to go to a running store where they watch you walk, you tell them about your issues, and they recommend a shoe.  For me, this cleared up shin issues that I'd been struggling with for several years.  And, replacing very worn shoes last year made a night and day difference in my PF pain.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 02:55:33 PM »

I have Plantar Fasciitis too. Superfeet  - they are a shoe insert. Pricey ($80 a pair or more) but they are amazing. My pain is almost gone since I started wearing those inserts.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
Yesterday I finished work at 7am after 3x12 hour shifts in 3 days. I arranged to meet hubby at the shopping centre that afternoon so I didn't have to catch the train home.

I was going to catch the bus to the shopping centre. I was tired, my feet were sore. But I was on this forum just before I finished my shift and I re-read this thread.

And you know what? I said "Fuck it - I'm walking!". So I did. 8km (5 miles, so not as far as you) but you put the thought into my head.

Thanks. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »
Primm! Rockin' the walkin'!  Way to go!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
Dividend man, how bout an update for the week?   Thanks for all the PF advice everyone.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
I only walked 4/7 days this week D: lost about 2 pounds.... BUT

yesterday i fixed my bike by myself after walking to Lowes to get some tools and things to do it! I'm about to test bike my work route today to see how it goes!

It's hard for me to walk when I have to do something else in the day due to long work hours then walking taking up 2-2.5 hours, but I'm still sticking with it. If my test bike goes well today I might switch to biking!