Author Topic: FU Transfer  (Read 3138 times)

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
FU Transfer
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
I orchestrated a transfer from an work situation that was causing anxiety/depression!

I had responsibility for managing the equipment failure risks for industrial facilities (consequences explosions, large fires, and environmental damage) and directing a small group of eningeers and technicians.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the resources or authority to make the changes that I felt were necessary to manage these risks to a level that I felt was acceptable or run my group in a manner that I felt was effective.  The managers that did have the authority to provide resources / make changes didn't understand and/or care about my problems and recommendations.

It took several months, but I finally finagled a transfer to another department, without a capable backfill for my current position!  It's only been a few weeks, but the the associated reduction in stress and increased optimism has already made a big improvement on my mental health!

P.S.  As an added bonus, it is also a strategic move in my FI downshift plans.

ryanthequark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: FU Transfer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:30 AM »
Bravo to you! That's great news, and I'm happy for you. I'd also want to leave, if I was in that situation.

I used to work on behalf of the survivors of the Bhopal disaster, so I'm especially sympathetic to the position you were in, and your desire to leave.

May your future be brighter and much less stressful!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »
Good for you.. Apart from the stress if you held a P.E license then you could easily be held legally liable for anything that went wrong!

Like you in that position I would documented the snot out of every recommendation I made, then made it very clear in writing why I left and at what risk I thought the company was running by ignoring my pleas for help.

Personally I would still forward any such emails to my personal email account as you never know if some disaster would have the finger of suspicion pointing back at you.

ryanthequark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »
I think documentation is usually wise. Even in non-adversarial, non-cya situations. But especially in situations like this. The documentation doesn't have to be sent or shared - just knowing you have it can give you peace of mind. And it's there if you need it.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Congrats! I'm trying to transfer from my job too. Sucking the life out of me.