Author Topic: Frugal Tip: Black Tea vs Coffee -- we save around $600 per year this way.  (Read 8924 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
I know this won't apply to many here, because I know people won't want to give up coffee -- I was the same.

But I recently learned that you can get 100 bags of black tea from Walmart for $2.12 -- Great Value Brand.  That's 2 cents per 12 oz mug of tea.

For coffee we were buying the cheapest instant coffee we could find: Great Value instant coffee.  Right now I see it for $4.92 for 12 oz.  According to the package it contains 70 teaspoons of coffee.  We put 2 level teaspoons of coffee in each 12 oz mug.   $4.92 / 35 two teaspoon servings is 14 cents per mug.

I don't know about you but we couldn't drink coffee without heavy cream.  We put 2 tbsp of heavy cream in each mug.  Heavy cream is now $5 per quart (used to be $3 per quart 18 months ago).  There are 64 tablespoons in 1 quart of heavy cream.  $5.00 / 32 =  16 cents per mug.  (In contrast, we don't desire to put heavy cream in the tea at all.. tastes good without it.)

14 cents (coffee) + 16 cents (heavy cream) = 30 cents per mug of coffee, or FIFTEEN times more expensive than black tea.

Now I know black tea has about half as much caffeine in it as coffee, but that's okay because we were trying to cut back a little.  But you could drink 2 mugs of black tea for 4 cents compared 30 cents for the coffee.

This isn't including the cost of the liquid stevia, but we put the same amount in the black tea as we did the coffee, so this doesn't change anything.  [But I can tolerate less sweetener in black tea compared to coffee, so I might personally start cutting this in half.  We spend $34 for 2 x 8 oz bottles of liquid stevia from Amazon -- best price we could find.  Right now I am drinking my black tea without any stevia for a week to condition myself to not having sweetener; that way in a week when I start using 7 drops of stevia it tastes really sweet compared to nothing. Once you start using 14 drops I guess you build a tolerance to the sweetness or something.  Stevia is pretty expensive;  at the current rate of consumption (14 drops per mug) we'll spend $335 per year on it for our tea since we drink a few mugs of it per day.]

Excluding any sweetener: black tea per person, at 3 mugs per day is only $21 per year.. vs $315 per year for coffee/heavy cream.  For us, since we are two, that means $42 per year instead of $630.  A savings of around $600 per year by switching.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is interested.. we enjoy black tea anyways.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 11:50:39 AM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Frugal Tip: Black Tea vs Coffee -- we save around $600 per year this way.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 11:30:55 AM »
This is how we make our black tea:

1) put tea bag in room temp mug, along with the liquid stevia
2) boil water in a whistling tea kettle
3) pour the water in the mug
4) wait 45 seconds, dunk the bag a few times and discard the bag -- most of the tea is extracted at this point and longer brews just make it bitter.
5) no need to stir stevia since we put it in first before pouring the water in

Hot black tea with liquid stevia, it tastes like I am drinking honey -- has that flavor profile to my taste buds; so delicious.

Note: we were paying $5 for 100 bags of black tea from our local Asian market, but have found the $2.12 GV black tea to taste identical.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 11:47:20 AM by JenniferW »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Frugal Tip: Black Tea vs Coffee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 11:39:50 AM »
Good analysis

Another way of getting the cost of coffee WAAAAAY down is to buy ‘green’ (unroasted) beans in bulk and then roast them at home, either on teh stovetop or in an air popper.  Our local roaster sells green coffee in 5lb and 10kg bags (and if you really go nuts you can order a 60kg jute sack).  the 5lb format works out to just nuder $4/lb and the 10kg is closer to $2/lb. Never went all out for the full jute sack. Best of all it’s the higher end (peabody) beans, and home-roasting means it’s always peak when you brew it.

Using your measurements it drops the price per mug down to around 6¢/mug. still more expensive than the black tea bags you are using but an option for those that want to drink coffee.

Bartlebooth

• Stubble
Re: Frugal Tip: Black Tea vs Coffee -- we save over $600 per year this way.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 12:20:09 PM »
I drink coffee black but can understand that you need to include creamer in your cost.

$0.25 for K-cup is the most expensive I regularly drink.  Probably twice per week.

Otherwise I make Americanos (don't even have to calculate paper filters in the cost...just a $500 espresso machine haha!).  $20 for three pounds (1360 grams) of ground or unground coffee seems like a frugal price.  About 8 grams of coffee for a single-shot Americano, so 170 "cups" for $0.11 each.

This is closer to instant coffee price than I expected.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 06:17:25 AM »
Interesting topic, thanks for posting.

I used to drink a few cups of coffee in the morning and a cup around noon.  I switched my noontime drink to tea for two reasons - the money saving aspect and also to reduce my caffeine intake.  I've also reduced my coffee consumption in the morning a bit, but can't quite bring myself to switch to tea..at least not yet.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 09:30:28 AM »
In February, I gave up coffee in an attempt to hep with some stomach problems I was having (it's helped a bit). I've switched to herbal tea. It will definitely save us money (my husband is still drinking coffee). We have an espresso machine, and I was having one/day, with some sort of alternative milk (whatever was cheaper) in it. I have lots of tea bags on hand, but when that runs out, I'll look for sales on herbal tea, and am not super picky about the flavors.

We buy our beans at Costco, when they run them on sale, but tea is still much cheaper. The alternative milk cost also adds up, although frankly, the brands are all in such a big competition that you can usually find it on sale for 1/3 of the shelf price. I have a few containers in the fridge, and I'm using it in smoothies to avoid waste.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 09:51:18 AM »
This feels like a discussion of nuance; relative improvements.  Of course, the daily Starbucks latte is the most-often quoted symbol of anti-Mustachainism.  Making your own coffee at home with store-bought beans or pre-ground coffee is so much cheaper, it's laughable.  I will occasionally see a coffee shop while driving, with some time on my hands, and think,"that looks good" reflexively, then get the cold sweats when I think about how my own coffee tastes better than most coffee shops (at least for me), then I smile and drive on.

To fine tune beyond this for lower cost seems to me to be a philosophical choice.  If making the cheapest coffee beans possible tastes just as good, then of course, use them.  But if it doesn't, then what's the point of it?  Similarly for switching to tea.   If you enjoy coffee and tea interchangeably, then of course it makes sense.  I do drink tea sometimes, after I have had my coffee, but wouldn't consider it an even trade-off.  I'll have herbal tea in the afternoon when something hot sounds good.  But coffee is not nutritive in any way.  It is far from a necessity of life.  It is only used for enjoyment.  I get a lot of little moments of joy from drinking coffee, and would be careful about chipping away at little compromises in the experience, since the experience is the only point.  I think of my own (relatively spendy, as I sometimes buy more premium beans for a splurge) coffee use as a pretty frugal great thing in my life.  It all depends on what we're trying to optimize:  financial benefit, or experiential benefit.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
Yeah everyone has their own needs with respect to coffee and tea. I understand that completely.  I am just sharing what we did;  it would make me happy if I could help even one other person save money as well doing a similar thing, if it applies to them. :)

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 04:19:56 AM »
A relevant blog post. I also like doing tea rather than coffee if I'm craving a second cup of something hot.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 04:43:23 AM »
A relevant blog post. I also like doing tea rather than coffee if I'm craving a second cup of something hot.
Wow, that guy really hates 6oz servings, and loves tea bags for some reason,,,

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 05:51:22 AM »

Have you iterated to ensure you are heating the exact amount of water needed?

Waiting for the whistle is likely way too long.

Those are two other areas where there are some cents to be saved/trimmed. Boiling water takes a lot more energy compared to bringing it just short. Heat of vaporization...

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 06:34:25 AM »
Yeah everyone has their own needs with respect to coffee and tea. I understand that completely.  I am just sharing what we did;  it would make me happy if I could help even one other person save money as well doing a similar thing, if it applies to them. :)

Cheers! 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2023, 08:48:34 AM »

Have you iterated to ensure you are heating the exact amount of water needed?

Waiting for the whistle is likely way too long.

Those are two other areas where there are some cents to be saved/trimmed. Boiling water takes a lot more energy compared to bringing it just short. Heat of vaporization...

Boiling water is mandatory for properly brewing black tea.  In fact it's best to preheat the mug with boiling water, pour out the water and then put the bag in and refill with boiling water; that gives the best brew.  But we compromise and use a room temp mug with boiling water.  We boil just about enough at a time -- a little over; we go by how heavy it feels.

We like the whistling kettle because once we hear it, it gets our attention and we turn it off.  I've used open sauce pans in the past, to boil water; one time we forgot about it, all the water evaporated and then the pan got so hot the rivets became loose on the handle.   Fortunately we were able to hammer the rivets back in place and the sauce pan is as good as new.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 08:54:11 AM by JenniferW »

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 01:13:31 PM »
If frugality is your aim, you might consider an electric kettle. (Although probably not given your views on electric cookers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c is informative and amusing

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2023, 02:37:22 PM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 12:39:45 PM by EliteZags »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 03:38:55 PM »
If frugality is your aim, you might consider an electric kettle. (Although probably not given your views on electric cookers).
This illustrates where extreme frugality and “proper” tea violently collide.
As my British friends will say, you cannot make a proper cup of tea with a tea bag, or with most tap water, or by over-steeping a smaller quantity of tea-shavings (what’s inside a tea bag) for the quantity of water used.
To each their own, but given that the difference is less than a dime per serving I’ll continue to make my tea with loose leaf, steeped for a shorter period - I’d rather have a a 6oz cup of something fantastic than twice as much made the other way.
To each their own…

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 05:47:36 PM »
OP thanks for sharing your hacks and starting the conversation. I love the rich oily flavour of fresh coffee beans and though they're more expensive than in the US, still indulge once or twice daily in French press or moka pot coffee @ home and Aeropress at work. This isn't always the best way to extract flavour from the beans but I'm preparing to be mobile again so haven't replaced my espresso machine.

In Asia an electric kettle is mandatory in our kitchens ;) Our tap water isn't always safe to drink so the kettle's in daily use to boil water before filtering for drinking. Works great for tea as well - very fast and energy efficient. Tea leaves here are of excellent quality so I rarely use tea bags except for herbal prepackaged mixtures (tisanes) from western brands. Tea when properly stored can keep for years and age quite well.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »
I've found loose lea tea to be cheaper than tea bags, though that may depend on the kind of tea you drink and if you are at all picky.  There are many cheap, long-lasting methods for making loose leaf tea.  I use a tall metal cylinder that has little holes in it and sits in the mug.  It was cheap and I've had it for years.  And as a bonus, it better tea than tea bags do. 

Since you mention boiling water, it is better to have boiling water for your tea (black tea).  Also, put a lid or something over the mug while it steeps so it stays at hot as possible for as long as possible.  (But don't over-steep or your tea may get bitter.  Five minutes max.)

But if it's about the money, why drink either?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 06:45:56 PM »
I've found loose lea tea to be cheaper than tea bags, though that may depend on the kind of tea you drink and if you are at all picky.  There are many cheap, long-lasting methods for making loose leaf tea.  I use a tall metal cylinder that has little holes in it and sits in the mug.  It was cheap and I've had it for years.  And as a bonus, it better tea than tea bags do. 

Since you mention boiling water, it is better to have boiling water for your tea (black tea).  Also, put a lid or something over the mug while it steeps so it stays at hot as possible for as long as possible.  (But don't over-steep or your tea may get bitter.  Five minutes max.)

We have a caffeine addiction :)  And it's soothing :)  We steep for 45 seconds. Thanks for the tip on covering, good idea.  I'll try it.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 07:18:00 PM »

We have a caffeine addiction :)  And it's soothing :)  We steep for 45 seconds. Thanks for the tip on covering, good idea.  I'll try it.

If you are only steeping for 45 seconds, you can likely use half as much tea and steep for longer, and have a nearly identical cup of tea.  (If course you'd have to use loose leaf, which can be as simple as opening up your tea bag.)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 07:22:32 PM »

If you are only steeping for 45 seconds, you can likely use half as much tea and steep for longer, and have a nearly identical cup of tea.  (If course you'd have to use loose leaf, which can be as simple as opening up your tea bag.)

Well I start to not like the flavor with longer steeps.  I don't like the tannins/bitterness.  An English chef friend of mine told me how to brew a mug of tea and he brews it for just 30 seconds under the hottest possible conditions. including a pre-warmed mug.  I do 45 sec with a room temp mug, so I don't have to wait to start drinking it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 07:27:14 PM »
It's even cheaper if you kick your addiction to caffeine entirely.

0$ - coffee
0$ - cream
0$ - electricity
0$ - mug

Smug satisfaction watching all the other addicts drag around in the morning, while you're full of energy? - Priceless.

:P

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2023, 08:11:48 PM »

0$ - coffee
0$ - cream
0$ - electricity
0$ - mug

Smug satisfaction watching all the other addicts drag around in the morning, while you're full of energy? - Priceless.

I sure would save a lot on the stevia. Tea is only $21 per year. But the stevia is like $150.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »

0$ - coffee
0$ - cream
0$ - electricity
0$ - mug

Yup.  I enjoy an occasional (generally >once a week in winter, and almost never in summer) cup of tea, but it's awfully nice feel clear-headed and awake in the morning without *needing* that cup of tea or anything else. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 09:14:32 AM »

Well I start to not like the flavor with longer steeps.  I don't like the tannins/bitterness.  An English chef friend of mine told me how to brew a mug of tea and he brews it for just 30 seconds under the hottest possible conditions. including a pre-warmed mug.  I do 45 sec with a room temp mug, so I don't have to wait to start drinking it.

And you've tried a somewhat longer steep but with less tea?  If so, I'm quite surprised that you'd notice a difference in the tannins with what are still very, very short steep times.  If you've only tried it with the same quantity and a longer steep (which might be the case since you use tea bags so probably aren't altering the amount of tea), it might be worth experimenting.  It's clear you like to optimize things, and using less tea but adding an extra ~15 seconds should generate what would be a nearly identical flavor.  Your teat will get more bitter and tannic at longer steep times, but when we are talking a minute or less steeping (probably even up to longer than that), tannins shouldn't be an issue for most pallets. Seems worth a try, at least. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 09:29:04 AM »
And you've tried a somewhat longer steep but with less tea?  If so, I'm quite surprised that you'd notice a difference in the tannins with what are still very, very short steep times.  If you've only tried it with the same quantity and a longer steep (which might be the case since you use tea bags so probably aren't altering the amount of tea), it might be worth experimenting.  It's clear you like to optimize things, and using less tea but adding an extra ~15 seconds should generate what would be a nearly identical flavor.  Your teat will get more bitter and tannic at longer steep times, but when we are talking a minute or less steeping (probably even up to longer than that), tannins shouldn't be an issue for most pallets. Seems worth a try, at least.

I'm using tea bags. What would I do? (I don't reuse tea bags.) I mean I can understand if it was loose leaf. I haven't looked into the cost of loose leaf closely yet.. or where I could source some at a good price without having to pay too much for the shipping.  These 2 cent bags are so cheap and taste good :)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »

I'm using tea bags. What would I do? (I don't reuse tea bags.) I mean I can understand if it was loose leaf. I haven't looked into the cost of loose leaf closely yet.. or where I could source some at a good price without having to pay too much for the shipping.  These 2 cent bags are so cheap and taste good :)

Tear open the bag and use part of the tea.  Do you have any kind of fine strainer?  Once you steep, just pour through that.  I imagine a coffee filter (or even a paper towel, I suppose) would work in a pinch, though you'd lose some of the benefits of loose leaf tea (paper in the tea bag or a paper filter supposedly leaches out some of the oils), but it would at least tell you if you can do a longer steep with less tea. 

I don't go for "cheapest" with my tea because it's an occasional pleasure, not an addition placation, so IDK what the absolute cheapest is.  I know that when I've priced the same tea in bags vs loose, loose is cheaper per ounce (and you may be able to use less as well).

If you do find you still like the tea with less product used, you can also just tear open all your $.02 bag and make loose leaf out of them, though in that case you'd probably want to invest (>$5, probably free in a local Buy Nothing Group or ~$1 at a garage sale) in a steeper of some kind.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
This illustrates where extreme frugality and “proper” tea violently collide.
As my British friends will say, you cannot make a proper cup of tea with a tea bag, or with most tap water, or by over-steeping a smaller quantity of tea-shavings (what’s inside a tea bag) for the quantity of water used.
To each their own, but given that the difference is less than a dime per serving I’ll continue to make my tea with loose leaf, steeped for a shorter period - I’d rather have a a 6oz cup of something fantastic than twice as much made the other way.
To each their own…
Yes, I actually went to a tea tasting class (given as a gift) at a high rnd teamaker and the temperature, amount of leaves, and time of steeping was quite elaborate, and different for different types (of leaves).
I just use tea bags.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 09:54:07 AM »

I don't go for "cheapest" with my tea because it's an occasional pleasure, not an addition placation, so IDK what the absolute cheapest is. I know that when I've priced the same tea in bags vs loose, loose is cheaper per ounce (and you may be able to use less as well).

I've found that as well.  When you buy tea bags you are paying for the tea, the bag, and the process of a machine stuffing pre-measured amounts of tea into the bag.  Loose-leaf is just tea in a container (and you can buy them in bulk for a [nearly] waste-free product).
I've found the best/cheapest place to buy tea is in asian markets and chinatown - IIRC around 50¢/oz for the basic varieties. Works out to roughly 4-5¢/cup (1 tsp/serving)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 10:03:17 AM »

I don't go for "cheapest" with my tea because it's an occasional pleasure, not an addition placation, so IDK what the absolute cheapest is. I know that when I've priced the same tea in bags vs loose, loose is cheaper per ounce (and you may be able to use less as well).

I've found that as well.  When you buy tea bags you are paying for the tea, the bag, and the process of a machine stuffing pre-measured amounts of tea into the bag.  Loose-leaf is just tea in a container (and you can buy them in bulk for a [nearly] waste-free product).
I've found the best/cheapest place to buy tea is in asian markets and chinatown - IIRC around 50¢/oz for the basic varieties. Works out to roughly 4-5¢/cup (1 tsp/serving)

But these great value bags  are 2 cents.  And they taste very good. I used to buy bags of tea at Aisian market and they were 5 cents per bag.  They taste identical to the great value black tea. I have both here and go back and forth (finishing off old supply) and they don't taste any different.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »

But these great value bags  are 2 cents.  And they taste very good. I used to buy bags of tea at Aisian market and they were 5 cents per bag.  They taste identical to the great value black tea. I have both here and go back and forth (finishing off old supply) and they don't taste any different.
Yes, and if you are happy with the quality from your Great Value® tea bags, then you can almost certainly get a similar quality tea for less as loose leaf, because when you buy the tea bags you are paying for not just the tea but the bags as well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:20:59 AM by nereo »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
We are now also saving an extra $268 per year by substituting in the stevia extract powder for the liquid stevia.  This $44.50 2.2 lb bag of powder we just bought, will last us, get this, around 2.85 years lol -- for 6 mugs of black tea per day between us.   The bag has 25,000 forty milligram servings in it and well I found out I need one pinch (1/16th of a tsp) for a 12 oz mug of black tea, which is 160mg -- so the 2.2 lb bag is good for 6,250 mugs of tea.  (I don't literally pinch it though, I have a measuring spoon labeled "pinch" -- I definitely don't want to touch the stuff with my hand since it's so highly concentrated.)

Also saving another $5 per person per year on black tea bags.  Found some at a different store for $1.76 for 100 bags; Walmart great value is $2.12 for 100.  ($18 per person per year instead of $23.) Not much of a savings but I guess every little bit helps -- tastes the same.  Still really stoked about the stevia savings.  So between the coffee/cream & stevia changes , we are saving around one THOUSAND dollars per year, yay!  With no sacrifice in comfort.  This powder stevia actually tastes better.

https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/stevia-extract-90-percent-powder

EDIT: per year per person:  $18 (tea) + $7.50 (powdered stevia) = a little over $25 per year for 3 mugs of sweet black tea per day -- or about three trips to Starbucks (362 more days of caffeine vs Starbucks.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 11:47:18 PM by JenniferW »

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
A delta of 7 makes a big difference.

I think I'm going to link to this for one of the discussions in my Data Analytics course to show how this kind of approach to life can make a difference.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache

I think I'm going to link to this for one of the discussions in my Data Analytics course to show how this kind of approach to life can make a difference.

Glad you find the post useful.  Not sure what you mean though with respect to "delta of 7".  Our annual delta is about $948 saved between the two of us, between switching from coffe/cream to black tea along with stevia powder instead of liquid stevia.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache

Glad you find the post useful.  Not sure what you mean though with respect to "delta of 7".  Our annual delta is about $948 saved between the two of us, between switching from coffe/cream to black tea along with stevia powder instead of liquid stevia.

The reason you don't understand it is because I misused the term after hearing it used in that matter on a Tim Ferriss podcast (been using it like that for not-a-short-time).

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
We are now also saving an extra $268 per year by substituting in the stevia extract powder for the liquid stevia.  This $44.50 2.2 lb bag of powder we just bought, will last us, get this, around 2.85 years lol -- for 6 mugs of black tea per day between us.   The bag has 25,000 forty milligram servings in it and well I found out I need one pinch (1/16th of a tsp) for a 12 oz mug of black tea, which is 160mg -- so the 2.2 lb bag is good for 6,250 mugs of tea.  (I don't literally pinch it though, I have a measuring spoon labeled "pinch" -- I definitely don't want to touch the stuff with my hand since it's so highly concentrated.)

Also saving another $5 per person per year on black tea bags.  Found some at a different store for $1.76 for 100 bags; Walmart great value is $2.12 for 100.  ($18 per person per year instead of $23.) Not much of a savings but I guess every little bit helps -- tastes the same.  Still really stoked about the stevia savings.  So between the coffee/cream & stevia changes , we are saving around one THOUSAND dollars per year, yay!  With no sacrifice in comfort.  This powder stevia actually tastes better.

https://www.bulksupplements.com/products/stevia-extract-90-percent-powder

EDIT: per year per person:  $18 (tea) + $7.50 (powdered stevia) = a little over $25 per year for 3 mugs of sweet black tea per day -- or about three trips to Starbucks (362 more days of caffeine vs Starbucks.)

Same with the stevia. Though I still buy an expensive tea brand at .12 a cup.

As to some of the other comments:

-The English don't get to gatekeep tea (it came from China after all), drink it how you like it
- +1 Electric kettle
-It's fine to have an addiction, just don't adopt all the addictions at once
-To save money, let people know you like tea, and you will end up with a lot of gifted tea
-down with coffee, tea drinkers unite!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Trying to understand the electric kettle appeal; the whistling one on my gas burner doesnt take up any counter space.  Does the electric kettle boil? Does it alarm you?

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
Trying to understand the electric kettle appeal; the whistling one on my gas burner doesnt take up any counter space.  Does the electric kettle boil? Does it alarm you?

It took me forever to get one because I felt the same way. Now that I have one, I won't go back (unless I had to). Yes it does boil and yes it does have an alarm to let you know when it is done. Mine is not super fancy, but I can set it for different temperatures (different teas and other things) so it is more versatile. It also heats up way faster and stays warm so if you drink multiple cups (like I do when I am working from home) it's super convenient. 

bill1827

• Stubble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
For one, it's faster to boil than my gas cooktop.
Mine has a blue light while it's heating and the blue light stays on fir a ten second "roiling boil" before it shuts off, so if I come in the kitchen and the light is off I know it's just boiled and is ready to use. I'm an early riser so I like that it doesn't whistle at 4am when I have guests over.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
In the video above, it looks like water is boiling inside.... plastic?  Really?  I'd only use a glass or stainless steel electric kettle if I had one.  It is impressive how much faster it is, but I don't know if I'd switch because I am really limited on counter space.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:19:11 AM by JenniferW »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
In the video above, it looks like water is boiling inside.... plastic?  Really?  I'd only use a glass or stainless steel electric kettle if I had one.

Yes, there are stainless steel electric kettles.  There are also glass-lined kettles.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
In the video above, it looks like water is boiling inside.... plastic?  Really?  I'd only use a glass or stainless steel electric kettle if I had one.  It is impressive how much faster it is, but I don't know if I'd switch because I am really limited on counter space.

Mine is stainless.  Since I only put water in it, I never really clean it.  I just occasionally descale it because it does get a white build up (from our tap water). 

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMTVVJI4c

This was a really great video, thanks for sharing it!

Log

• Pencil Stache
+1 for electric kettles. I even use it for boiling water for cooking since it's so much more efficient than boiling water on the stovetop.

I'm a coffee snob and take great joy in spending extra for high quality, locally-roasted beans. I too, would put cream and sugar in coffee made with cheap shitty beans, but gladly drink the good stuff black.

---

Also, a rant: home espresso machines don't make any sense from the perspective of cost, quality, and eco-consciousness. It takes a lot of time and energy to properly get an espresso machine up to temperature. If you don't get it up to temperature, quality suffers. If you do get it up to temperature just to make yourself a shot or two, the waste is enormous. For me, espresso is the domain of cafes, where they can get the machine up to temp first thing in the morning, and then crank out high quality shots at maximum efficiency all day.

It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive espresso machine if you're going to brew low quality beans at sub-optimal temperatures. Even a "cheap" espresso machine is far more expensive than a simpler brew method, and cheap espresso machines are again, a massive compromise on quality. Having mediocre coffee is fine, but if you're accepting mediocrity, then why spend all that extra money and effort when a much cheaper and simpler brewer would be just as effective at delivering coffee-flavored caffeination? If you just want caffeine and kind of enjoy the ritual of a cup of coffee, save yourself the trouble and get an aeropress. (Or go to tea like OP suggests.)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
+1 for electric kettles. I even use it for boiling water for cooking since it's so much more efficient than boiling water on the stovetop.

I'm a coffee snob and take great joy in spending extra for high quality, locally-roasted beans. I too, would put cream and sugar in coffee made with cheap shitty beans, but gladly drink the good stuff black.

---

Also, a rant: home espresso machines don't make any sense from the perspective of cost, quality, and eco-consciousness. It takes a lot of time and energy to properly get an espresso machine up to temperature. If you don't get it up to temperature, quality suffers. If you do get it up to temperature just to make yourself a shot or two, the waste is enormous. For me, espresso is the domain of cafes, where they can get the machine up to temp first thing in the morning, and then crank out high quality shots at maximum efficiency all day.

It just doesn't make sense to buy an expensive espresso machine if you're going to brew low quality beans at sub-optimal temperatures. Even a "cheap" espresso machine is far more expensive than a simpler brew method, and cheap espresso machines are again, a massive compromise on quality. Having mediocre coffee is fine, but if you're accepting mediocrity, then why spend all that extra money and effort when a much cheaper and simpler brewer would be just as effective at delivering coffee-flavored caffeination? If you just want caffeine and kind of enjoy the ritual of a cup of coffee, save yourself the trouble and get an aeropress. (Or go to tea like OP suggests.)

I appreciate this! This was the conclusion I came to as well after lusting after the $$$ home espresso machine my friend bought. It was so expensive I figured it would take years of coffee house lattes to break even on the cost of just getting a professionally made latte when you have the craving, and for home lattes I can make an Aeropress latte with a cheap electric milk frother that is 90% of the way there to the enjoyment of a cafe latte.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
+1 on the electric kettle - faster and better for the home environment than using the stove top.

I am confused at what you are trying to say here. Most people who get good machines also get good beans*. You can get a bulletproof Gaggia Classico for $600 that will pump out great espresso for decades as there are basically no parts to break on it. We spend $650 a year on fantastic Ethiopian beans roasted by a small local family business and get to start each day with a fantastic cup of coffee***. That amount of money spent in a cafe would be two months worth of daily coffee.

Notes:
*not talking coffee pods and their ilk here
**AUD, less in the States but also there are plenty on the secondhand market
***We also have pourover and an aeropress, our Gaggia makes better coffee faster than either of these but then we drink our coffee black.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
Yeah, color me confused as well. Perhaps some math to illustrate your assertions @Log ?

bill1827

• Stubble

Espresso tastes completely different to coffee brewed in other ways; if you want the espresso taste at home you need some sort of espresso maker to do it so you have to have the equipment to do that.You also need a good grinder which adds to the expense.

Having said that, there are ways of making espresso which don't cost all that much and are no more energy consuming than making a cafettiere.

One of my machines is an Espreeso Forge, a simple manual machine. All you need is a very small quantity of hot water, boiled in a kettle. It makes excellent espresso. There are other manual machines like the Cafelat Robot or the Flair. As they only need water heated on demand they are no more energy consuming than tea or instant coffee.

My main machine is a Decent DE1 which was pretty expensive. However, one if the reasons that I bought it, after much agonizing over the cost, was that it s much more energy efficient than the average espresso machine. It takes about 5 minutes to warm the components up and then heats the water when making the espresso, so uses very Little energy. Energy efficiency is becoming more of an issue so a few other espresso makers are becoming a bit less power hungry.

As to quality, the espresso that I make at home is much better than that served in most cafes and the few that make good espresso are in large cities more than 50 miles away from where I live.

Then there is the cost. An espresso derived drink in a cafe is going to cost at least £2, these days more like £3.50. I make about 5 espressos a day so that's £10 a day or £3650 a year. A good manual espresso machine and a good grinder can be had for about £1000 new, so you'ld recover the outlay in just over 3 months.

(But I do use good beans.)

Log

• Pencil Stache
No objection to coffee enthusiasts making quality home espresso if they choose the cost is worth it to them.

I just have seen plenty of examples of the spendy-pants consumer types who "treat themself" to a fancy espresso machine and then never bother learning how to pull a decent shot, because they're always drowning the espresso in so much milk and sugar that it doesn't even matter how it tastes. Certainly they're saving money compared to buying all those vanilla lattes at Starbucks... but they could get similar results putting their steamed milk and sugary syrups in regular filter coffee.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!