Author Topic: Found out I can work from home a few days a week...  (Read 4433 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Found out I can work from home a few days a week...
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
I am currently dealing with a very un-mustachian 45-50 minute commute due to family circumstances.

I recently took a new position (where I got a decent raise to boot!) and in one of my last 1/1s, my manager (who lives out of the country) was asking how things were going. I mentioned, among other things, that it's a bit frustrating having to commute so far and often not really interact with anyone in the office.

He suggested the possibility of working from home a few days a week, exactly as I was hoping. So I can WFH 1-2 days a week, making my commute more like an average of 25-30 min! Which still is a bit long but a lot more awesome than what it is previously.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Re: Found out I can work from home a few days a week...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
That's wonderful!  It sounds like you have a pretty nice manager.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
That's wonderful!  It sounds like you have a pretty nice manager.

I think I've hit the "corporate lottery" as far as awesome manager/team goes.

Only time will tell though...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
I started doing this a month ago, also just 1-2 days a week because that's all the rigorous corporate environment will bear, and I don't know of anybody else doing this on a regular basis. Whatever, enjoy sitting in your cube while I work from my bed, or sofa, or the pool outside.

Huge quality of life improvement. On top of that, working just one day a week from home cuts mileage by 20%, 40% if twice a week! That's a direct reduction in wear and tear that I have to put my old car through, to say nothing of the gasoline savings.

My manager suggested requesting a conference call phone number and a screen sharing account, which I did. I can easily setup impromptu meetings when some group thinking is needed. I am hoping this alleviates the inevitable creep of colleagues thinking I am not pulling my weight. Being very vocal about what you're working on is key, otherwise people will start thinking you're watching TV or walking your dog during business hours.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
This has ben one of my things for a long time now. I don't even understand how there are still companies where non-physical workers actually go into an office most if not all of the time. It's stupid cheap to connect to work securely, quickly and reliably. IM if you need quick and to the point stuff done from a colleague, webex if you need a meeting.

I just don't understand why a cube, desk or office where people are always interrupting you, expensive office space in a city, making people waste hours and $$ commuting and eating at the office, spreading colds and flus around and so on is considered a good business model.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »
This has ben one of my things for a long time now. I don't even understand how there are still companies where non-physical workers actually go into an office most if not all of the time. It's stupid cheap to connect to work securely, quickly and reliably. IM if you need quick and to the point stuff done from a colleague, webex if you need a meeting.

I just don't understand why a cube, desk or office where people are always interrupting you, expensive office space in a city, making people waste hours and $$ commuting and eating at the office, spreading colds and flus around and so on is considered a good business model.

That is sooo awesome!!!  I took a new job this past January and half the reason I took it is because after my 6 month probation period is up I'll be able to work 4 10's or have the option to work from home 1 day a week.  This is going to be life changing for me because I commute 3.5 hours a day (gun to head) to work.  Why do I do that?  Because the only way I can find true happiness in life is living in the middle of nowhere on some land (3+ acres for now), and the fastest way to get a nice chunk of land and retire is to get a good paying job...which is located in the city, and there'in lies a country boys dilemma.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
That's great news!!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
Very nice! On telework days I save so much time that I can't get even more done. And the commuting costs are eliminated those days too.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
I just started working from home again and love it! Soooooo much less stress! I take breaks on my front porch or my back deck, cook lunch, play with the pets. And the time saved commuting, wear and tear, gas, etc. are just an added bonus.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
Wow nice! Congrats!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
Been working from home for years... for me, hedonic adaptation has kicked in big time, and I just take it for granted.  The buzz has gone away...

Hopefully it won't for you!  Congrats!

I'll drive 45 min to work on Monday and be reminded why it's awesome.

atheoncrutch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
I worked from home today! So nice to have a view of my sunny backyard as opposed to a cubicle. I also have hit the manager lottery, my boss couldn't care less where I work. I feel like it's a bit of a "abuse it and lose it" type of situation, so I try to restrict to twice a week. My work is only a 10 minute drive from home anyway. It's great to be able to plan around it though.