Author Topic: Found a bicycle at Goodwill!  (Read 8341 times)

Zoe

• Bristles
Found a bicycle at Goodwill!
« on: April 14, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
We actually went there to get my husband some work pants and looks for a few pieces of clothing for our son. There were 3 bicycles right inside the front door. Two Roadmaster's and a Schwinn. I've been looking on Craigslist for one since we live in a nice neighborhood with shopping right across the street. The Schwinn looked a little nicer and newer so we checked it out. Looked pretty good, and was only $20! We wheeled it around the store while we finished shopping. My husband had actually brought his old Schwinn down from his parent's house the day before, so we took them both out for a spin around the neighborhood when we got home. It's been about 16 years since I've ridden (last time I rode, I crashed into a tubular metal fence and ended up with a cap on my front tooth! Hah!) Tell me my pelvis area will "toughen" up though. It's pretty sore today!

Any recommendations for a bike trailer to carry my toddler (and when I get brave enough, groceries)?

James

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Found a bicycle at Goodwill!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
Congrats!  Sounds like a great deal! The saddle soreness will go away after a week or two of regular riding. Just make sure you bike as often as possible for a while, without going further than is tolerable.

Burley is the big quality name in bike trailers, it's a good name to look for as you search for used ones. Nothing wrong with other brands as long as they seem solid though. How far will you be biking with it? If biking a long distance then weight and ease of rolling matters, otherwise anything should work fine to start out with.  You can always upgrade once you have developed regular habits and know what to look for.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
Regardless of the trailer brand, make sure you pimp it out with reflectors, flags, flashing LEDs, baby on board signs, whatever. Be seen.

Congrats on the Schwinn snatch.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
We rode about 3.5 miles yesterday. And the grocery store is about 1.5 miles away, crossing one 4 lane intersection. I'll be sure to pimp it out :) Also, gotta get helmets for everyone.

I'll keep an eye out for a Burley steal, but will check out others as well.

Thanks for the info and tips!

Lord Cashmoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
Congratulations on your wise purchase, and as a result, a commitment to improved health as well! I can certainly guarantee that the saddle-soreness will subside eventually, though it never hurts to have a comfortable pair of bike shorts around when you want to take those longer, leisurely rides. :)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Yay! 

It's not actually that your butt/pelvis area toughens up, btw, so much as your legs get stronger and hold up more of your weight more of the time.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
I wish the husband and I could ride to work, but we live too far away. And several days per week one of us is either picking up our son or dropping him off. Oh well, it's for fun/exercise and getting groceries :)

Yay! 

It's not actually that your butt/pelvis area toughens up, btw, so much as your legs get stronger and hold up more of your weight more of the time.

That makes sense :)

enceladus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
I just bought a Cannondale at Goodwill in NE DC for $150.  It just needed a wash and new tires and a tune-up, and it was good as new. ...A lot better than the $500+ everyone asks for a Cannondale on Craigslist.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »
Regardless of the trailer brand, make sure you pimp it out with reflectors, flags, flashing LEDs, baby on board signs, whatever. Be seen.

All the pimps in my neighborhood rock the bike trailers.  Other than the hat and cane, the bike trailer is the pimp's most identifiable possession.

dizzean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »

Lights, yes.

Reflectors, no.  Stock reflectors that come on most bikes only provide a false sense of security.  They create almost no visibility.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »

Lights, yes.

Reflectors, no.  Stock reflectors that come on most bikes only provide a false sense of security.  They create almost no visibility.
I was thinking of wheel reflectors to be somewhat seen from the sides. Not the most efficient attraction grabber, for sure, but they cost and weigh nothing. For front and backs, flashing LEDs all the way.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
For between $20-$40 you can get a women's bike seat. Made a big difference for me as I have wide hips.