Author Topic: Forget safety razors - I shave with a straight razor!  (Read 2947 times)

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
Forget safety razors - I shave with a straight razor!
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Okay, that's a prickish subject line, which risks leading to a "my equipment is longer" discussion.  But I am feeling pretty badass.

I bought a Dovo olive-tree handled straight razor a few years ago, and, after wimping out for several years, finally started shaving with it nearly every day this summer.  After starting slowly and watching several Youtube videos, I have become fairly adroit with it.  I still have trouble getting the whiskers on my chin - it takes me too long to get to them and the soap has dried out by then - but am fairly happy with the results.  These days I use my trusty Gillette Sensor Excel to finish the job, and I hope to complete the entire shave regularly with my straight razor by the end of the summer.

My mom heard about this effort and sent me my grandfather's old straight razor, which needs some honing.  I haven't decided whether to try it myself - I don't have a stone and would need to learn how - or to send it away for rehabilitation.

Anyone else here use a straight razor?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Forget safety razors - I shave with a straight razor!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »
Those chin whiskers are pesky. I don't have time to chase them around with a straight razor. Pretty bad ass though! I know a young woman who uses one - bought it for a boyfriend and he didn't use it as much as he thought he would.

So if anything, both your and her equipment are longer than mine! Or maybe shorter, which is why you can trim so much easier and faster ;)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I use a Dove 5/8 full hollow ground straight razor.   However, I'm thinking of going back to a safety razor.  I just can't seem to get a close shave on my neck with the straight. 

When I first started, I had problems with the soap drying out, but I got faster at shaving and that problem resolved itself.

Hand sharpening is a learned skill, and I would not recommend learning on an heirloom item.  I hand sharpen all of my woodworking tools, and I would send my razor out to be sharpened. 

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
I shave with safety razor occasionally. I tried a straight razor once, never again! I cut myself to ribbons. I don't have the touch, or patience.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:47:07 AM »
You manly man, you!  Naw, I still use the boring ol' safety razor.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
Today I successfully managed a full shave with the straight razor, including the pesky chin area.  Can you feel the badassity?  I did manage to cut myself once, but nothing to write home about.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a shop I might try, should I decide to send grandpa's straight razor out for honing?  Thanks in advance.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
I've been nursing my last few disposable blades with the help of a Blade Buddy (they last for months and months and months) but I think I just installed my very last one. Now I may finally have to learn to use this straight razor I've been staring at for years.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
I've been nursing my last few disposable blades with the help of a Blade Buddy (they last for months and months and months) but I think I just installed my very last one. Now I may finally have to learn to use this straight razor I've been staring at for years.

I looked into straight razors, but compared to double edge safety razors,
the cost seems pretty high.  After my initial $20 purchase of a Merkur, a
year's supply of double edge razors sets me back about $10.

Unfortunately, neither is suitable for carry on luggage ...

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
It took me a few months to get comfortable with the straight razor.  I was still using the safety razor for the chin.  It's probably been 2-3 months since I used the safety razor.  Once you learn to strop well and get the feel for the correct angle, the straight razor is great. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!