Author Topic: Food Stamp Challenge  (Read 22871 times)

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
Re: Food Stamp Challenge
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »
Appreciate the responses.  They are insightful.  But this is WAY too complicated of a topic for a Food Stamp Challenge.

Any new updates on anyone actually doing the challenge?
I spent $150 on groceries for the month. That included alot of 'startup' costs for a new home like giant things of garlic salt.
I had decided to try out Budget Byte's meal prep recipes. I made a sh*t ton of taquitos, breakfast sandwiches, breakfast scrambles, and enchiladas. I still have 14 servings left of meatloaf to make so I should have food to carryover into next month. I have to say, meal prepping awesome. I haven't cooked in 8 days but had awesome meals 2-4x a day.

I guess that's not less than 4.15 a day but it is less than what SNAP provides locally

Never heard of Budget Bytes.  I'm going to check that out.  We seem to eat a lot of the same stuff so I may go search for these items :)
budgetbytes.com

I wouldn't say their recipes are necessarily cheaper than a typical recipe, except they leave out meat most of the time. They just happened to frame cooking to the cost-conscious. What does attract me to their website is that (a) same half dozen spices/herbs get used in most recipes, (b) no exotic or hard to find items (I don't like finding substitutions), (c) the recipes are easily scalable so I can meal prep.
Enjoy!

AlexMar

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Appreciate the responses.  They are insightful.  But this is WAY too complicated of a topic for a Food Stamp Challenge.

Any new updates on anyone actually doing the challenge?
I spent $150 on groceries for the month. That included alot of 'startup' costs for a new home like giant things of garlic salt.
I had decided to try out Budget Byte's meal prep recipes. I made a sh*t ton of taquitos, breakfast sandwiches, breakfast scrambles, and enchiladas. I still have 14 servings left of meatloaf to make so I should have food to carryover into next month. I have to say, meal prepping awesome. I haven't cooked in 8 days but had awesome meals 2-4x a day.

I guess that's not less than 4.15 a day but it is less than what SNAP provides locally

Never heard of Budget Bytes.  I'm going to check that out.  We seem to eat a lot of the same stuff so I may go search for these items :)
budgetbytes.com

I wouldn't say their recipes are necessarily cheaper than a typical recipe, except they leave out meat most of the time. They just happened to frame cooking to the cost-conscious. What does attract me to their website is that (a) same half dozen spices/herbs get used in most recipes, (b) no exotic or hard to find items (I don't like finding substitutions), (c) the recipes are easily scalable so I can meal prep.
Enjoy!

It's a nice site to explore.  Always looking for new ideas.  One thing that I notice is that I buy my breakfast sandwiches at Costco for about the price of making your own per their site.  But the info is still pretty good and a few good recipes I've noticed.

Versatile

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
There is a lady on Youtube called PrepperPrincess that does this on the regular as everyday life. She has tons of videos on how to save money and her electric bills are insanely low. She's an interesting person for sure.