Author Topic: FJR1300 Sport Touring Bike  (Read 1269 times)

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
FJR1300 Sport Touring Bike
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »
My son is 21 and in his last year of college. He's a great kid and has done really well, but we were worried he was getting pulled away from school by his job. Think "Why Should I Finish My Degree When I'm Already Making XXX$$$."

Last year he bought a Harley (did I mention the job pays well?) and has been bugging me about doing a long road trip. I'd gotten out of motorcycling when he was born but of course the idea of going on a long ride with my kid started to root.

Anyway, I told him 1) I'd do a road trip with him but that he HAD to graduate and 2) I loved my kidneys too much to do a long ride on a Harley. I'd be buying something else.

Ever since Yamaha redesigned the FJR I've always though "Hmmmmmmmm."

Yes, it's an old man bike but it's an inline 4 with antilock brakes and enough horsepower to make life interesting.

So I thought I'd start looking in Spring for a decent used one. You know...for my kid's sake...

Well, what do you know...an FJR popped up on CL. Run through the usual back and forth. Check the VIN and title...no red flags. Inspect the bike...a few minor issues....like it needs a new headlight bulb...nothing major. Ride the bike. Purrs and shifts just fine. And yes, enough power to scare the $%^$^ out of me.

End up getting it for $2k.

Kid freaks out. Pinky swears and spit shakes not only is he going to graduate, but he's going to do it early! And of course he starts giving me shit because it's not a Harley. :)

hdatontodo

• Bristles
Re: FJR1300 Sport Touring Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 11:38:44 AM »
FJR makes for a great long distance bike, but so do Harley touring bikes.

I rode from MD to FL and back, covering 1,500 miles, in just under 24 hours, on an Electra Glide, to earn the cert for Iron Butt Association Bunburner Gold.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
FJRs are NICE!!!
I know someone with 300,000 miles on his.  He does his own maintenance and repairs.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 06:24:44 PM »
I don't know anything about touring bikes in general and this model in particular, but for $2K, you can't go wrong and I'm happy if you're happy. I am currently looking for a bike myself for an upcoming trip to Panama and maybe further south from where we currently live in Mexico, but our roads are nothing like in the USA so I'm looking for a small adventure bike in the 200-400 cc. But if a bike like yours at that price came my way, I'd likely jump on it and stick to the paved highway, and still have a great road trip.

Stay safe and have a blast with your son.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 05:57:16 AM »
Congrats on scoring a good deal. More so though for investing in shared experiences with your son that have no price tag.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 06:48:45 AM »
Congrats!  FJRs are nice bikes!  Inline 4s are definitely the best for cruising.

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 07:01:05 AM »
Congrats on the new ride & well bought.  I used to ride & my favorite bike owned was a 2001 FZ-1.  My dad and I used to ride together quite a bit.  Ironically, he's a Harley guy.  I'd MUCH rather be on the FJR.  Have fun on the road trip and keep the shiny side up.  :) 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 07:15:34 AM »
Hope you have a great time with your son! I still look at bikes occasionally and sort of dream of a big tour but I doubt I will ever ride again due to lower back issues and other interests taking precedence.
 I was a long time BMW rider (anyone remember the old BMW MOA?) and, yeah, I wouldn't buy a Harley either.

ronsbusa3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 06:03:09 PM »
Congrats.. you stole that bike. I’ve owned 2, 2004 and a 2008. Great bikes. I did a iron butt on the 2008. I own a bmw gs1200 now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 07:13:45 AM »
Congratulations! Looks like a bike that can go anywhere you want to ride.

I had a Kawasaki Concours, 1981 Honda CB900 Custom (hi/lo trans, aircooled, travel package), a couple Suzuki GS550s and a Hodaka Wombat over the years.

Love to ride, rode year 'round despite the cold but sold my last bike when we started having babies.

Would like to have another. Maybe a Ural with a sidecar or another sport tourer like your's.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 07:07:23 PM »
Congratulations! Looks like a bike that can go anywhere you want to ride.

I had a Kawasaki Concours, 1981 Honda CB900 Custom (hi/lo trans, aircooled, travel package), a couple Suzuki GS550s and a Hodaka Wombat over the years.

Love to ride, rode year 'round despite the cold but sold my last bike when we started having babies.

Would like to have another. Maybe a Ural with a sidecar or another sport tourer like your's.

I quit riding when my oldest was born. At the time, I was the sole breadwinner and worried about leaving wife and kiddo fatherless. Knew too many people who'd been killed on bikes. Now that I have a few gray hairs (and the kiddos are all grown) I worry less about being killed and more about not enjoying life. Oh...I also installed crash bars on the FJR this weekend, so that should keep me safe, right? :)

I will say, the kid did get all his classes squared away so assuming he doesn't blow it, he should graduate on time. So..PCH here we come!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:20:41 PM by CatamaranSailor »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 12:20:26 PM »
I quit riding when my oldest was born. At the time, I was the sole breadwinner and worried about leaving wife and kiddo fatherless. Knew too many people who'd been killed on bikes. Now that I have a few gray hairs (and the kiddos are all grown) I worry less about being killed and more about not enjoying life. Oh...I also installed crash bars on the FJR this weekend, so that should keep me safe, right? :)

I will say, the kid did get all his classes squared away so assuming he doesn't blow it, he should graduate on time. So..PCH here we come!

Same logic. Have fun y'all!