Author Topic: "Fixed" my clothes washer:  (Read 938 times)

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
"Fixed" my clothes washer:
« on: January 02, 2023, 04:33:37 PM »
When my washer was six years old it threw a 'failure to drain' error.

My SO thought we needed a new washer, but I took apart the washer and cleaned the drain pump filter out. Everything worked good as new.

Fast forward 6 years and, right on time the same thing occurred again. Same fix. SO once again thought we needed a new washer. It is good as new now though.

This makes me wonder how many six year old washers get thrown out because the drain pump filter got clogged, or how common it is for this to clog. 

Washer is 12 years old now and still going strong. My last washer was 25 years old before I gave it away and the person decided to scrap it when it broke instead of fixing it. This makes me wonder if it just needed a drain pump filter cleaned out or something simple.

How old is your washer?

6 imaginary made up points will go to whoever is running the oldest washer.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Fixed" my clothes washer:
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm sure it won't be the oldest, but I was using a 16 year-old washer when I sold my house last year. 

Worked fine - never had a drain issue, but I did have to bypass the lid latch sensor (at the 12 yo mark) - I refer to it as "that time I hot-wired my washing machine".  Sold the washer/dryer set for $200 when I moved.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 07:02:28 PM »
Good old Dad had the same washing machine for about 30 years. Not sure about cleaning the pump filter.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 07:12:45 PM »
I replaced a 30 year old washer a few years ago. It was an ugly workhorse that wouldn't die.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 07:25:05 PM »
I looked up the serial number on mine and according to this website it was made in September 1991. We just moved in a new house which was built in 1997 so some previous owner bought this used ans kept it going. I'm really impressed with how quickly it washes the clothes compared to all the newer models I've had. The capacity is quite a bit smaller though (2 drying racks instead of 3) so I'm running it more often.  I've only been in this house a month so points should go to the previous owner.

https://www.electrical-forensics.com/MajorAppliances/MaytagDateCodes.html

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 07:34:50 PM »
Mine is 20 years old, a front loading Roper, non digital. I've replaced the pump twice.
It does have one little issue where it sometimes gets stuck before the last drain cycle and I have to manually advance it, but I just deal with it.
If it stopped working completely I would repair it, if possible.
If the spider that secures the drum ever breaks it might be the end, so I'm careful not to overload it and let it spin out of balance.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 08:40:56 PM »
My current washer is probably 5 to 10 years old (it came with the house so I don't know exactly). So far I've replaced the main circuit board, the drain pump, and the door latch (twice for that one - seems to be an annual thing). It would have been a fortune for a repairman to do all this. I spent probably $200 in parts. The neat thing is that my model (Whirlpool Cabrio) has lots of videos on the web explaining how to replace pretty much any part, and parts are still readily available.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 05:56:20 AM »
My current washer is probably 5 to 10 years old (it came with the house so I don't know exactly). So far I've replaced the main circuit board, the drain pump, and the door latch (twice for that one - seems to be an annual thing). It would have been a fortune for a repairman to do all this. I spent probably $200 in parts. The neat thing is that my model (Whirlpool Cabrio) has lots of videos on the web explaining how to replace pretty much any part, and parts are still readily available.

Wow - that's awesome that you can do all these things! Interestingly my washer is a Whirlpool and I have replaced the circuit board also. I also had to repair a cracked outer tub after one year of ownership and some other sensors.

Sometimes I do wonder though - should washers require this much maintenance? Some years I spend more time working on my washer than I spend working on my Toyota and I find myself lusting after a Speed Queen and wondering if they would require less maintenance.

You are right though - I have heard appliance repair guys cost a fortune these days compared to a new washer. Maybe this is why everything is thrown away these days. I remember being a kid and my dad had a guy out just to repair his TV...These days if his TV dies he spends 200-300 and buys a new one.

OttawaNeal

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • The journey is the adventure.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 06:09:51 AM »
When my washer was six years old it threw a 'failure to drain' error.

Same thing happened to us in our last house about 1 year into living there - not sure how old the washer was as it had come with the house.  When I cleaned the filter out I found approximately $3 in coins in it.
Some of the coins were in pretty rough shape - but the bank took them (for destruction no doubt).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »
This makes me wonder how many six year old washers get thrown out because the drain pump filter got clogged, or how common it is for this to clog.

Probably more often that anyone wants to know.

We have a relative who always has appliance issues and replaces/repairs them often. However none of visiting family ever seems to have any trouble with those same appliances.

In fact after relative declared a certain washer to be a pile of junk - I took a look and realized it is the same model washer/dryer combo that has served us well with nary a problem for years.

Still not sure what they do to cause all the problems they report.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!