Author Topic: Fixing small appliances & Buying nothing  (Read 2869 times)

cooking

• Stubble
Fixing small appliances & Buying nothing
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
I borrowed the June/July 2019 issue of Mother Earth News from my library, and they had a couple articles I thought might be of interest to people on these forums.

I'm not very good with tech stuff so I might not be able to set up direct links, only give URLs.

The first article was about "repair cafes" which function as public hubs where people can bring broken items to get assistance with repairs or where volunteers can offer repair expertise in a particular field.  Free, but donations welcome.  It said to find or start a repair cafe in your community, go to www.RepairCafe.org/EN

The other article was about free exchange of goods organization made up of neighborhood Facebook groups (says that b/c of the hyperlocal nature, all transactions are with neighbors).  To see if your neighborhood participates: www.BuyNothingProject.org/Find-A-Group.  If not, start a group by filling out the form at www.BuyNothingProject.org/Start-A-Group

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
Re: Fixing small appliances & Buying nothing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing, the repair cafes sound really neat. It looks like there isn’t one near me close enough to bike to, but hopefully the community continues to grow. I’d totally volunteer at a local one, but I don’t think I have the drive to start one myself.

MrsPennyPincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »
Buy nothing groups are great, you can find all sorts of stuff for free, and also can get rid of stuff responsibly! If there is an active one in your area, I highly recommend mustachians to join. Is especially great for kids clothes and books, as well as one-time use items (think Halloween costumes)

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »
Great links.  I've always wondered about our natural tendencies away from sharing.  At a neighborhood picnic I once brought up how it seemed crazy to me we all (about a dozen homes) owned our own riding law mowers to mow our 1.5 acre lawns.  Why don;t we buy one zero turn mower for the neighborhood (which would double cutting speed) and take turns cutting all the lawns.  We have a short enough season (about half the year) you could spend 2 days/year mowing and your turn is done.  I have a big enough shed it could stay in mine (for some the place to put the mower is a problem as it takes up garage space).

They of course all looked at me like I nuts....maybe it is, but seems like a good idea to me...

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »
Great links.  I've always wondered about our natural tendencies away from sharing.  At a neighborhood picnic I once brought up how it seemed crazy to me we all (about a dozen homes) owned our own riding law mowers to mow our 1.5 acre lawns.  Why don;t we buy one zero turn mower for the neighborhood (which would double cutting speed) and take turns cutting all the lawns.  We have a short enough season (about half the year) you could spend 2 days/year mowing and your turn is done.  I have a big enough shed it could stay in mine (for some the place to put the mower is a problem as it takes up garage space).

They of course all looked at me like I nuts....maybe it is, but seems like a good idea to me...
[/shadow][/sub][/tt]
[/b][/i][/u][/s][/s][/s][/s]

Sounds like a good idea to me, although I'm sure it would present a need for some rules (who adds fuel & when, etc.), and a need for enforcement thereof.  Another benefit of things like this are that they help build community.  I've read that there are "tool libraries" in some areas that work in a similar manner.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
I'm frustrated with my only local buy nothing group because they won't let me join! Because my home address isn't in their county.  I tried to plead my case:  1. I work in the largest city in their county, so I'm spending half my life right in the middle of their territory, and 2. My home is less than 1 mile from their county.  But nope, they're unbudging.  I guess my free stuff isn't good enough for their county.
I know, I should start my own group, right?  But all the people in my county work in that other county that already has the group...  argh. 

And I'm frustrated with repair cafes:  they're always scheduled for Thursday afternoons here.  Are they only for retired people?  How does anybody with a regular weekday job go to them? Are there a whole bunch of companies around that are closed on Thursdays?

I'm grumpy today.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 07:02:12 AM »
I'm frustrated with my only local buy nothing group because they won't let me join! Because my home address isn't in their county.  I tried to plead my case:  1. I work in the largest city in their county, so I'm spending half my life right in the middle of their territory, and 2. My home is less than 1 mile from their county.  But nope, they're unbudging.  I guess my free stuff isn't good enough for their county.
I know, I should start my own group, right?  But all the people in my county work in that other county that already has the group...  argh. 

And I'm frustrated with repair cafes:  they're always scheduled for Thursday afternoons here.  Are they only for retired people?  How does anybody with a regular weekday job go to them? Are there a whole bunch of companies around that are closed on Thursdays?

I'm grumpy today.
I would be too. Yes to starting your own group and continuing to plead your case.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Another sharing type project I've found rewarding: a few years back, I joined a timebank.  Timebanks are located across the country (maybe the world?).  The basic premise is that people "bank" however many hours they spend doing things for other timebank members, then when a member needs something done, they utilize their accumulated credit hours.  You might ask for or give a ride to the airport, have someone check in on a relative or feed an animal while you're out of town, etc.  One person's hour is valued the same as every other person's hour.

The people in my particular timebank tend towards a little older, maybe b/c older people generally have more time.  But I don't think that's necessarily true of all timebank groups.  Our group has a potluck dinner once a month, which members attend or not as they choose.  Potluck attendance earns 2 timebank hour credits, as it is felt that the interchange allows members to get to know one another and learn what other members have to offer in terms of using your credits.  Also, we charge $20 a year for membership (mainly to buy insurance), and for which members are allowed to take 2 timebank hour credits.

This past Sunday, we held a "many hands" project in which about 10 people went to a member's house and cleared brush and leaves from his 3 acres for a few hours.  He is an electrician who has helped many of our members with their wiring (obviously a much-valued skill), and has an illness which has a 5 month recovery time, so hasn't been able to keep up his yard.  Afterwards, his wife invited us all inside for homemade soup and desserts.

Timebanking is another activity which can not only save people some money, but builds community.  I've been very happy that I became involved with my timebank, even though it's in the next county (my county doesn't have one and I'm too lazy to start one), so it's a little far for me.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
My Keurig machine died recently, and I really don't want to drop $80 just to get another one. Problem is I live in a small town without a lot of resources like repair cafes so I'll have to do some sleuthing to find a home-grown solution.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »

I'm grumpy today.

Why not just list your work address as your home address?  How would they know?  Or make up an address entirely. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!