Author Topic: Fixed my own iPod  (Read 1668 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Fixed my own iPod
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »
I own an old iPod classic 5th generation (first iPod to be able to play video) that was a birthday present 9 years ago but lately it was relegated to being used only in the car because the battery couldn't hold a charge more than 20 minutes. Apple designed this device to make it difficult to replace the battery, because they want people to buy new devices. I didn't want to do that because A.) Apple devices are meant to last and other than the battery issue this device works just fine and B.) Apple doesn't make stand-alone music players of this type anymore. (Progress and all that jazz, I guess.)

So, I found some instructions on replacing the battery on ifixit.com and watched a tutorial video on YouTube, then used gift certificates from Bing Rewards and Pinecone Research to purchase the $12 replacement battery on Amazon for free. It took me only about 15 minutes to replace the battery. iFixit.com lists the difficulty of this repair as "moderate", but I thought it was really easy.

Savings: The repair shop at the mall probably would have charged me $50 for this repair, so I saved some money and learned something new. I call that a win! :-)

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
Re: Fixed my own iPod
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »
sweet good job!

I started the same, with an ipod classic (i love ifixit), that spawned off into fixing phones and video game consoles for fun/ a little extra $. Finally ending up with my refrigerator, washing machine, dishwasher, and faucet, all of which failed about 1 year after getting the house - you'd be surprised how easy most things are to fix!

long story short, keep DYI-ing, it's so easy, and way less expensive than hiring someone!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:23:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  It inspired me to try fixing my digital camera that had a lens error.  Fix number 6 that I tried worked - and I only had to invest about 12 minutes watching a video.  Two years ago the same thing happened and I just went out and bought a new camera (the one I just fixed)  I could have probably fixed the old one but it was pre-mustachian days.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
My next project is to upgrade the processor in my laptop computer so I can make it last a few more years before needing to replace it. I was shocked when I found out how easy this stuff is. All you need are some parts, tools, and know-how -- which you can easily get from websites and YouTube. It's not magical stuff that only experts can do. Completely blew my mind.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I have a love affair with my Ipod Classic, so now I know what to do to keep it alive!