Author Topic: Fixed my own damn smartphone  (Read 1249 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Fixed my own damn smartphone
« on: July 27, 2019, 07:20:53 PM »
A couple weeks ago, my iPhone 7 started having issues charging.  I'd have to twist the charging cord or position it "just right" to get it to charge.  It quickly got worse to the point where it was almost impossible to get it to charge properly.

A local shop would fix it for $85, but I just couldn't do that.

I bought the part on Amazon for $15 with all the tools needed, and a replacement battery for another $15 for good measure (I sure didn't want to have to open it up twice and the battery was a bit worn out after two and a half years).

I followed this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+7+Lightning+Connector+Assembly+Replacement/78122#s158643

It's a giant pain in the ass, and took about three and a half hours start to finish, but it's back together and working great now.  The most hair-raising part was probably blasting it with a hair dryer and starting to pry it open.

I would recommend it to a friend as long as you have a clear work area (do NOT drop those tiny screws, and keep them organized as you work) and some patience.

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fixed my own damn smartphone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:56:18 PM »
Any chance it was just dirty in the charging port? Pocket lint tends to accumulate in there and can cause the problems you're describing. Getting in there and gently removing the lint with a toothpick works well.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »
Any chance it was just dirty in the charging port? Pocket lint tends to accumulate in there and can cause the problems you're describing. Getting in there and gently removing the lint with a toothpick works well.
I had done that before so it was the first thing I thought of, but no, that didn't fix it this time.  The port itself was worn out and loose.

I'm convinced it wore out because of the way I had it plugged in (constantly weighted down at an angle) in the my car every day for a couple years.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
Glad you tried that first, and thanks for pointing out how to fix it for anyone else who has already tried cleaning things out and still has problems!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 08:15:56 AM »
iFixit is such a great site. I used their instructions to replace a broken screen in a Macbook years ago.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!