Author Topic: Fixed my oven!  (Read 1318 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Fixed my oven!
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Last week, our gas oven (20+ years old, came with the house) quit working.  It wouldn't heat up, and when I took the bottom cover off, it appeared that the igniter was glowing, but not bright enough (according to my internet research).

I briefly looked into a new range, something like $450 delivered and installed from Sears and the old one hauled away (shockingly, the cheapest/best option was, in fact, Sears).  I checked craigslist, and found a good one for $200.  I started looking into truck rentals and the best way to get rid of an old range... when I backed up.

A new igniter was $24 on Amazon and eligible for free next-day delivery.  I figured that $24 was worth the chance of being able to fix it.

It arrived, and it took about 10-15 minutes of fumbling around to swap it out.  Then I preheated the oven to 400F like it was nothing.

Gas ovens are incredibly simple mechanically.  I had no experience before this, and it was super easy.

Additionally, we used our oven-less time as an opportunity to fire up the grill and make some excellent kebabs.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixed my oven!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
Congrats! Over the last couple of months I have fixed both the washer and the refrigerator, each time using a roughly $20 part ordered from Amazon and info gleaned from the Internet, including Youtube videos. Feels good, and saved hundreds of dollars in service calls.

misshathaway

• Bristles
Re: Fixed my oven!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »
I am so jealous. Mine is from 1960. I know all it needs is a fuse (suddenly no power to the oven or its clock even though other things on the same breaker are fine). But I can't get the panel off. I wish I had watched the guy more closely the last time it broke. Especially since he was about 80 when he came 10 years ago. Other repair places just told me to junk the oven. But it's beautiful.