Author Topic: Fixed my dryer  (Read 1258 times)

zurberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fixed my dryer
« on: February 13, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »
The dryer stopped heating last weekend. It is about 12 years old. I changed the rollers in the drum before and bought parts online after watching some videos on partselect.com so figured I would try fixing it again. They have a great section showing the common problem parts for a particular issue on your appliance. In this case, it boiled down to some thermostats, thermal fuses or the heating element.

After doing some troubleshooting with a multimeter, I found the heating element was bad but for the price of parts and already having the back panel opened, decided to change all the parts. Cost was just under $150 Canadian with shipping and about 30 minutes to diagnose and clean dirt + debris out of the back and another 45 minutes to do the install (which I quite enjoyed). Now I basically have a brand new dryer for the same price as having a repair person show up at my door. Plus, now I know how to fix it if it ever breaks down again and I am not opposed to changing out the parts on a 10 year basis for that price.

Note: I shopped around for pricing online at partselect.ca and easyapplianceparts.ca and eventually called Easy Appliance Parts to place an order since they are slightly cheaper. I found out from the customer support person I spoke with that they are both owned by the same group but Part Select is a little more expensive because they provide the videos.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixed my dryer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »
Nice! I've changed a few drum seals (and I'm NOT very handy). It really isn't too scary as long as you've got a clear repair video cued up on the laptop and just go step-by-step.

zurberts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fixed my dryer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »
When I cracked it open, I realized it is just a giant toaster oven.