Author Topic: Fixed My Dryer Today  (Read 2100 times)

accolay

• Pencil Stache
Fixed My Dryer Today
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:15:38 AM »
As the title says. It's probably...30? years old, came with the house and has always worked like a champ. I actually took it apart before because the belt broke. Videos on YouTube for disassembly help were great.

Anyway, last time I did the laundry there was this bad burnt rubber smell emanating from the beast. I took it apart and the rear felt seal had come off the drum and settled on the heating element and was basically burning. Thankful we didn't end up with a fire.

I had to vacuum the heck out of it and it took most of the smell with the burnt powdery stuff. Ordered the part online.

It's a Kenmore. Search for the Model number online to find the part numbers, then go to Ebay for the cheapest deals. Unfortunately the last time I had to buy the belt locally because I needed to use the dryer and it was about 3x as much as online.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fixed My Dryer Today
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:14:54 AM »
Nice job! How did you take it apart? Were there any tips/videos in particular that were helpful for you? My dryer has a similar issue (overheating and yucky burning smell), and it's on my to do list.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
This video on replacing the rear felt seal was quite helpful, but there are lots of videos. Also shows how to replace the belt if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0L6EtDU6M

Also, love the guys hair. No, really.

postvmvs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »
Good job!

I bought a house with a dryer from the 1970s and replacing the belt is one of three repairs I have made to it in the last 7 or 8 years. Fortunately, parts for these machines are still readily available, as are how-to instructions and Youtube videos. As I recall the hardest part with replacing the belt was trying the fit my arms in around the drum when putting it on.

Someday I hope to pass the washer and dryer on to my grandkids. I am only half joking, as the newer appliances tend to be less service friendly.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:12 PM »
Made when "planned obsolescence" hadn't been built in yet. Only wish it had a moisture sensor to auto turn off when it's done drying the clothes. I do have a drying rack though, and try to use when I can.

The last thing is that the top is rusty. I'd like to sand it down and use some of this next year.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-12-oz-Epoxy-Gloss-White-Appliance-Spray-Paint-7881830/202056394

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:05:14 AM »
I used some of this on a scratched up deep freeze I received for free. Made it look just about new again - well worth the price.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:23 AM »
It's amazing how durable and repairable these older appliances are. We bought the washer and dryer with the house in 2004, and I think they were the cheapest thing Sears sold in the 90s -- the house was a rental before we bought it. Every year or two I have to replace some part or another, but it's never cost me more than twenty bucks to get either of them up and running again.

Meanwhile, my friends buying the fancy front loading high efficiency washers complain endlessly.