Author Topic: Fixed my car!  (Read 966 times)

Mr.GrowingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Fixed my car!
« on: July 21, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
So about a week ago, my anti-mustashian car left baby mustache, my wife and my mom stranded about 8 miles from home.

We got in the car, I pressed the button, all the dashboard lit up but the engine didnt turn.

"Oh, I forgot to press the break pedal hard enough.", I said. In my car you have to press the break then push the ignition button to get the car started.

I tried the 2nd time and nothing, I knew I was in trouble, and it was no dead battery. The car wasnt cranking and clicking, it was dead silent.

We called an uber to take us home, and then I spent an hour in the evening trying the car to start.

- Jumping the battery dind't help.
- Resetting the immobilizer system didnt help.
- Resetting the battery didnt help.
- Testing the break pedal switch didnt help.

So I suspected it was the starter and it was tow time. We used AAA (for whcih my father in law pays) and got the car towed to the house for $8 +$5 tip. I found the service manual for my car and went about searching how to trouble shoot it. There was no way to easy access it so I dissasembled the intake plastic and battery holder paneling just to take a picture of the starter. And when I snapped a picture of it's connectors, there it was, a badly coroded wire between the starter solenoid and starter motor! I put a metal brush to it to clean the wire off and maybe repair it somehow, but it fell just apart!

I went on rockauto.com, got myself a new starter and a few tools. I removed a few more seized up bolts and pieces of car to get the starter out and did the swap.

I loosely hooked up all the cables and battery and the car fired up no problem! She was back up and running again!

Spent about 3-4 hours taking the thing off and assembling back everything. I took my time since I had the whole day. All in all I could have done the job in about 1-2 hours had I known what to do and not going to autozone for new bolts.

Had I gone to the dealership, the OEM cost of the part would have been $300-400, and labor I would have been looking at $500-$700 job. I did it for about $120, $70 for the starter and some tools from HarborFreight (including a $30 Torque Wrench).

Aparently AutoZone has a tool loan program, and I could have borrowed tools from them. I will probably do it next time if I dont have the tools, but what I bought should last me a lifetime.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:50:33 PM by Mr.GrowingMustache »

marielle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fixed my car!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
That's awesome! Next time you will know exactly what to look for too. You basically just paid yourself over $100 an hour, while also learning something new. Congrats on your short-lived lawyer wage.

Mr.GrowingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Fixed my car!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
That's awesome! Next time you will know exactly what to look for too. You basically just paid yourself over $100 an hour, while also learning something new. Congrats on your short-lived lawyer wage.

Hehe nice way of looking at it!

The more experience :) get the better for next time :)